Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TONIGHT'S games 25th OCT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    We'll have to build the team around McNally at this rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Decent game at the RSC with open football on a very wet and cold night. Waterford have had a good finish to the season ending in 6th place which wasn't bad after a dreadful run in July and August left us looking over our shoulders nervous of the relegation places.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    That's very magnanimous of him to allow the club captain to lift the trophy on his own!!!
    Easy on the snide there ned as there is a context. Hoban has captained the team more than Garts this season due to Garts limited game time. So while Garts is Club Captain, Hoban has been the 'functional' Captain mostly. The trophy presentation seemed to take this in to consideration with both players announced last and stood side by side to recieve the trophy - Hoban (in a genuine way imo) stood aside to let Garts recieve the trophy. Irrespective of Hoban doing the right thing and letting Garts do all the heavy lifting there were a number of people there who saw it as Hoban continuing with a stroppiness. Possibly he had just found out that his goal was marked as an OG and with Junior's hatrick in Derry lost the golden boot so maybe he was grumpy. I dont see that as an issue tbh as it is evidence of the high standards he expects from himself and will be a man on a mission in the cup final as long as he channels his frustration and isnt wild with tackles!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Serious performance from Drogs tonight - could have been many more goals! Hopefully the short turnaround won’t affect us too much - Utd park should be rocking on Monday . Attendance was announced as 1500 ( mostly Drogs) and despite awful weather during the day.
    Drogheda have every chance of going up, they're a very well balanced side. They can do both sides of the game, they can play and they can do the nitty gritty. They won't be bowled over by Harps trying to rough them up, they'll be well able to administer some of it themselves.

I called it a few months ago that Longford would do poorly in the Play-offs because they're only able to play in a very rigid way, basically football or nothing, they don't react well to teams that really get in their face. It sort of puts how poor Longford's exit was into perspective when Drogheda are hammering Cabinteely 5-1. Longford should never have been losing to Cabinteely. They're a very nice side with plenty of good footballers, they're easy on the eye, but I suppose that is captured with how many they had in the team of the year.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    100 years + of history, set records tonight for most wins most clean sheets and finished second, have to acknowledge dundalk performance this season.
    Season was often shorter in the past which makes comparisons difficult but we are living in extraordinary times
    Good season alright, had tipped them to win the title but Perth did a really good job after a rocky start.
    Rovers weren't that far away from Dundalk, and will, I think, have enough to shade it in cup final.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Drogheda have every chance of going up, they're a very well balanced side. They can do both sides of the game, they can play and they can do the nitty gritty. They won't be bowled over by Harps trying to rough them up, they'll be well able to administer some of it themselves.

I called it a few months ago that Longford would do poorly in the Play-offs because they're only able to play in a very rigid way, basically football or nothing, they don't react well to teams that really get in their face. It sort of puts how poor Longford's exit was into perspective when Drogheda are hammering Cabinteely 5-1. Longford should never have been losing to Cabinteely. They're a very nice side with plenty of good footballers, they're easy on the eye, but I suppose that is captured with how many they had in the team of the year.
    We beat Drogs three times in the league, but couldn't beat Cabo once in five games which I guess supports your point. We definitely didn't have a nasty streak in us.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    We beat Drogs three times in the league, but couldn't beat Cabo once in five games which I guess supports your point. We definitely didn't have a nasty streak in us.
    Too nice. Some lovely players, technically really good and easy on the eye, but I think if a team really puts up to Longford, then they can fold. They have a soft edge to them.

The squad of players that Longford have, despite Cabinteely's impressive season, should never be knocked out at home like that. There's already a lot of rumours circulating that a number of Longford players are being courted by others clubs. It's not hard to see why when you look at Steacy, Elworthy, Breslin, Dervin and Byrne, who are all quality players. Even just a relatively average/somewhat promising player in Dobbs has already left for Shelbourne, bit of a weird one.

It could be a bit of a re-build in the off season for Longford.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    How good has McNally been, Drogs lads? From the outside looking in I'm looking forward to having him back at Pats, seems to have had a brilliant year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    How good has McNally been, Drogs lads? From the outside looking in I'm looking forward to having him back at Pats, seems to have had a brilliant year.
    From the couple of times I saw against Shels I'd rate him on a par with what I saw from Ciaran Kelly at Drogheda last season, like Kelly I'd expect he will break into the starting XI with Pats at some point next season
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post

I really hope we keep him , he has been great for such a young player- calm head and reads the game very well. He is a great centre forward too !
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    I really hope we keep him , he has been great for such a young player- calm head and reads the game very well. He is a great centre forward too !
    If he is still under contract I’d say he will be part of the squad next year. After not qualifying for Europe the budget will be down so players that are on small money will be needed to bulk out the squad, if he is ready he will get game time and valuable experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    100 years + of history, set records tonight for most wins most clean sheets and finished second, have to acknowledge dundalk performance this season.
    Season was often shorter in the past which makes comparisons difficult but we are living in extraordinary times
    Dundalk only had one real blip, that was in April losing two in a row, the league was all but won in the period from late April to end August with an incredible amount of wins / consecutive wins. Rovers finished with a decent return of 2.08 points per game, would definitely been enough to win most years leagues and probably a bit to spare, but Dundalk ended up with a ridiculous 2.38 per game, and 11 points clear, so just shows how high the bar has gone, and this will need to be risen again for Europe, as that has to improve.

I still think the 1-0 win in July in Tallaght was the night that won the league in the end.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Don't disagree with that and what made it even more definitive was we didn't deserve to lose on the night so it had a double whammy effect on the sense of inevitability. Jack Byrne spoke really well at the awards gig last night about how much he loves the club and how much he owes the mangt team for helping him to get back to loving playing football, said as far as he was concerned he will be here next year....doesn't mean he will be but if he is it will be a big part of any challenge we put in next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk only had one real blip, that was in April losing two in a row, the league was all but won in the period from late April to end August with an incredible amount of wins / consecutive wins. Rovers finished with a decent return of 2.08 points per game, would definitely been enough to win most years leagues and probably a bit to spare, but Dundalk ended up with a ridiculous 2.38 per game, and 11 points clear, so just shows how high the bar has gone, and this will need to be risen again for Europe, as that has to improve.

I still think the 1-0 win in July in Tallaght was the night that won the league in the end.
    Congrats to Dundalk, inside, outside or around the box 😁 by far the best team in it. Paced it perfectly and had a gear to step up when they needed to pull away.
    Shams deserved second, even though a way off. Manus settled the goalkeeping jitters and as the season went in they weeded out their 93 midfielders to a settled formation. Now if they can find a hat stand

The rest ? Bohs A+. Derry a solid A. Pats "must do better" and Cork WTF ?

Great to see crowds seemed to be up, if we can improve the ridiculous scheduling we might develop the League we have rather than chasing pipe dreams.
    Best of luck to Harps and Drogs in the death match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I'd hope that all clubs are looking at how Bohs have integrated so fully with the community and grown support without the silverware bandwagon. The progress at Dalymount off the field is probably worth the money of winning a league (Europe aside).
    We can all be nice for s spell when it comes to the league. The cup is another matter of course. Supposedly ticket sales are sluggish at Dundalk at the moment but with a 5th final on the go, the hassle with ticketmaster and how they sell blocks, well I'd expect a surge during the week as people wait to get the tickets they actually want rather than those currently on sale. Regardless of tickets on sale from Oriel a good number of DFC fans have to buy online as was my own experience 2 from the last 4 final so things will pick up. Off thread but I reckon an attendance of 35k next weekend in the Aviva.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Rovers finished with a decent return of 2.08 points per game, would definitely been enough to win most years leagues and probably a bit to spare,
    That's simply not true Oriel

While Rovers have improved on their dismal points returns in recent seasons, the 2.08 points per game would not have even won any recent League of Ireland title in the last seven seasons and would have only have registered 3rd place in most of those years

2019 Dundalk 2.39
    2018 Dundalk 2.42
    2017 Cork 2.30
    2016 Dundalk 2.33
    2015 Dundalk 2.36
    2014 Dundalk 2.24
    2013 St Pats 2.15

There is no doubt that Rovers have made some decent progress this season, but it is undeniable that the Cork City implosion is a big factor - Rovers final tally of 75 points this season would also have placed them behind Cork City last year

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    So we did not finish within 10 pts, will we next season? i think so, there is a momentum behind this group of players very similar to Dundalk in the season prior to their first title so yes we will get closer again next Season. Can we win On Sunday absolutely its a toss of a coin not a lot between the teams in a one off game. Our Ultras have bought all the smoke bombs and flares in Western Europe its gonna be epic. We will give the ole ole sinGing section a lesson me thinks. WAR.....calm down man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Riht now I dont think any real predictions on next season can be made as so much depends on transfers in or out. Rovers nab a classy striker and the gap could close, Dundalk get a pacey striker and it odds on again. More likely will be the need for Rovers to hang on to Byrne. Some more news on conract extensions out of Oriel would be good and a new face or 2 just to keep the squad on their toes. Derry are not miles off a better season agan.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Are the 'most wins' and 'most clean sheets' both all-time club records?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Riht now I dont think any real predictions on next season can be made as so much depends on transfers in or out. Rovers nab a classy striker and the gap could close, Dundalk get a pacey striker and it odds on again. More likely will be the need for Rovers to hang on to Byrne. Some more news on conract extensions out of Oriel would be good and a new face or 2 just to keep the squad on their toes. Derry are not miles off a better season agan.
    Agreed as always the transfers in our league over the winter will be pivotal.
    The league is shaping up to be better next year, Derry will improve as will Sligo in buckos second year,cork have to improve and shels with some money behind them should be better than ucd.
    I expect harps to stay up.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast