Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Ireland League Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    What it does indicate is that LoI and IL are not 'under supported' as is often the attitude (pushed by the FAI too). Both leagues are above the average proportion of a population that goes regularly to games. Sometimes, with this in mind, we can be hard on ourselves in the expectation of bigger average crowds. The point still remains though that bums on seats irrespective of per head of population is what is most relevant. There is potential, especially in LoI, for attendance growth at some clubs due to facilities being under par, but it is only potential and not a guarantee. I'm sure such stats would be considered by the likes of Peak6 if deciding on whether to invest on a new ground rather than improving slowly what is already there.

Have Linfield crowds grown significantly since the redevelopment of Windsor in to a state of the art facility, or Rovers crowds grown in proportion to the increased capacity of a modern facility in Tallaght. The 2 clubs that buck the general trend for me are Bohs and whatever they are doing off the field and Sligo whose crowds dont collapse when not at the top end of the table.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 01/02/2020 at 9:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Great ramble, but doesn't change the fact.
    No it doesnt change the fact either on the relvence of per head of population or that larger attendances are of greater signiicance/benefit regardles of per head of population!

Which would you rather?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Thanks for pointing out that in many ways the article backs up what I was saying. Crusaders put out an official statement post the 1st Dundalk meeting, that contradicts the fans position as outlined in that article.
    I accept your kind apology for your smug presumptious btw
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 03/02/2020 at 2:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I accept your kind apology for your smug presumptious btw
    Nice spin.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Nice spin.
    At least all this explains the reputation you seem to have on that Irish League Forum on the few times I've had a look there.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Finalised format drawn up and delivered to clubs. Difficult to get your head around at first but seems to go some way to address most of the original worries regarding autonomy of the leagues and European places!

http://www.allislandleague.com/

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Plenty to talk about with this "King of the Island" format, but one thing that jumps out: It doesn't appear as if the overall winner of this competition gets a European spot? That doesn't seem right to me.

Don't see much discussion of the second tier either, how will that work?

And you can have all of the Hypercube studies you want, but you're going to have to do better than "it is safe to say that the prize money would be a significant improvement above current levels". Improved how much? And who is paying it? And how is it being split?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Plenty to talk about with this "King of the Island" format, but one thing that jumps out: It doesn't appear as if the overall winner of this competition gets a European spot? That doesn't seem right to me.

Don't see much discussion of the second tier either, how will that work?

And you can have all of the Hypercube studies you want, but you're going to have to do better than "it is safe to say that the prize money would be a significant improvement above current levels". Improved how much? And who is paying it? And how is it being split?
    Agree on the king of the island bit it's very likely that the winner of it will also win their section but not guaranteed at all.

With regards to the prize money though they say the league going ahead is dependent on getting financial arrangements in place before proceeding that will guarantee the prize money being raised so that statements fair enough really

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdManRun View Post
    Finalised format drawn up and delivered to clubs. Difficult to get your head around at first but seems to go some way to address most of the original worries regarding autonomy of the leagues and European places!

I always thought an AIL was just pie in the sky. Having watching that I have to say that I do think it is hitting a lot of the right balance that is needed if it was to happen. It has been very well thought out in fairness and somebody has put a huge amount of work into it. Very interesting ideas and in theory could be a runner. Getting the money tied down now would show a real statement of intent and could be the difference between swaying clubs to come on board.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Similar to NFL too in that there would be a 'divisional' winner in each of the LOI and NIFL (i.e. the Golden Round). Plus a 'superbowl' style title with the King of the Island competition. Im not sure if it will go anywhere to be honest but Id like to think clubs would give it a look over.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Not the worst of ideas in fairness. I think it's important there's an easy way to unwind if prize money drops below the "required" levels. Agree though that the vagueness on funding makes out very easy to view this as another pie-in-the-sky report/suggestion that will go nowhere.

Makes you wonder if you add up all the money spent on consultants' reports on the league down the years and just spent it all on marketing it instead, where would we be?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I must say the more I think about it the more I like the late spring to new years season too. At least when it's cold your team will be playing for something which will motivate people to still go and late march start with maybe a league cup type thing instead of friendlies in February/March with a Paddy's day final might be a good way to start the season
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 27/04/2020 at 7:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Yes would be an interesting season that, say 1st April to early Jan. Another plus, it would fill the gap for the next club who qualifies for the EL group stage, as we'll have league games during it to keep competitive, like that's going to happen anytime soon !

Joking aside that was a bit of a pain for us in 2016, last league game end of oct, cup final a week later, with a EL game away to St Petersburg in between, plus another one or two EL group games up to early Dec. I think they had to go to England to get a game, Brentford B away rings a bell.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdManRun View Post

I love it. But then again I would. Split leagues - brilliant. Playoffs - giddy. In theory every team in the LOI Premier and First has the chance to win the overall competition - When can we start!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Which league should be expected to sacrifice a European spot for this competition ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The league that wins King of the Island I guess.

But the reality is they'll almost certainly by in Europe anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I was hoping that UEFA might, initially at least, offer an additional European slot. Community integration via football.....? Could be a significant success story that could be 'sold' as the benefit of football. One thing though, it was mentioned that UEFA would consider panborder league integration - would this not have opened the way for Glasgows top 2 to move to the EPL?, or even through the tiers of English football. Maybe the EPL are not interested but from a commercial sense it makes sense!?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I was hoping that UEFA might, initially at least, offer an additional European slot.
    If UEFA were to offer an additional cross-border slot, I would expect other countries would want something similar. That might require a broader decision from UEFA, not just one tailored to this island. Then you might get for example a King of the Vikings Cup for the northern countries and other cross-border competitions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Exactly. So that's why it's not going to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Well there are some mitigating considerations that could explain away a once off - peace and reconciliation isnt the worst excuse, unless the likes of Kosovo and Serbs or the Turks and Cypriots decide to try and cosy up too....

Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast