Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Thread: All-Ireland League Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I can't see any way an All-Ireland league keeps all the European places. It just seems like a complete non-runner.
    With Lucid's split season approach it's possible. Have you not read all 40 pages of this thread?!!

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    With Lucid's split season approach it's possible. Have you not read all 40 pages of this thread?!!
    By the way, that split season approach wasn't Lucid's own idea.

After his original proposal was unveiled to a tsunami of indifference and/or objections, including the problem of European places, "someone" (ahem) contacted him with the split season suggestion.

He then presented it as his own when relaunching "AIL 2.0", without attribution or acknowledgement.

Which is yet another demonstration of just what a bluffer he really is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    When Lucid (I iknow, I know) was talking about this a while back, there were clear indications from UEFA that the separate Euro entries would be preserved -
    Were there? I don't recall a single one. Any links? Or should we take more notice of your opinion below?

He then presented it as his own when relaunching "AIL 2.0", without attribution or acknowledgement.

Which is yet another demonstration of just what a bluffer he really is.

And the IL teams are still seemingly supportive of an AIL. You can be certain they wouldn't if they thought they would have to compete with the likes of Shams, Bohs, Dundalk and Derry etc for four or five Irish European places.
    What evidence do you have to support your statement?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Simple solution, money is only given out initially for stadia until all grounds are up to similar levels!
    Seems to be a fair few nice tidy little grounds in the IL, but a lot of “plastic” pitches, which I’m really opposed to. The stadia down here by contrast are by and large very lacking.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Were there? I don't recall a single one. Any links?
    I recall it being said a few months back. A quick google throws this up example (though behind a paywall):

Exclusive: Northern Irish clubs to retain European spots as £10m All-Ireland League to adopt split-season format

Danske Bank Premiership clubs will be able to keep their four European slots and be permitted to play in a cross-border competition worth £10m per year under current models being discussed, Sunday Life Sport can reveal.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...-40326312.html

Or should we take more notice of your opinion below?
    There is no inherent contradiction between considering Lucid a bluffer, whose own proposal is going nowhere and considering that a credible proposal would likely be supported by the majority of IL clubs.

What evidence do you have to support your statement?
    From July last year:

"All 10 clubs in the Premier Division have written to the Football Association of Ireland to request that a proposal for an all-island league be submitted to Uefa for consideration.

It follows 10 of 12 Irish Premiership sides writing a similar letter to the Irish Football Association.

Dungannon Swifts and Cliftonville are the two clubs that did not sign the letter."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53484645

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    From July last year:

"All 10 clubs in the Premier Division have written to the Football Association of Ireland to request that a proposal for an all-island league be submitted to Uefa for consideration.

It follows 10 of 12 Irish Premiership sides writing a similar letter to the Irish Football Association.

Dungannon Swifts and Cliftonville are the two clubs that did not sign the letter."

The IFA had dismissed the idea of an All-Ireland League out-of-hand - as far as I know, the 10 Irish League signatories sent the letter to the IFA expressing a curiosity and interest in how the proposals for an AIL would develop, and crucially, having some sort of say in the event of an AIL being formed.

I don't think that letter should be taken as tacit support of an All-Ireland League among Irish League clubs. I can only speak for my club (Glenavon), but the tide of opinion among the club and supporters generally seems to be against the idea of an AIL.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MU1889 View Post
    The IFA had dismissed the idea of an All-Ireland League out-of-hand - as far as I know, the 10 Irish League signatories sent the letter to the IFA expressing a curiosity and interest in how the proposals for an AIL would develop, and crucially, having some sort of say in the event of an AIL being formed.

I don't think that letter should be taken as tacit support of an All-Ireland League among Irish League clubs. I can only speak for my club (Glenavon), but the tide of opinion among the club and supporters generally seems to be against the idea of an AIL.
    There is no doubt that the IFA is opposed to an AIL.

And it may be that the fans are generally opposed, too. (I'm not in any position to judge).

But there is ample evidence that with the notable exception of Cliftonville, the leading IL clubs are more than just "curious".

I'd say that if someone could come up with a credible, properly funded proposal which did not also threaten IL and IFA autonomy etc, then they would be very interested.

After all, they were enthusiastic enough about the Setanta Cup in the early days, before the money dwindled.

And of course they'd demand a say in the formation of any league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    UNITE Union cup fixtures called off.

in light of the current Covid-19 situation on both sides of the border, Unite The Union has asked the FAI and the IFA to postpone the competition until 2022. Both associations have agreed to the request.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Both associations and Shamrock Rovers have agreed to the request

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

And it may be that the fans are generally opposed, too. (I'm not in any position to judge).

But there is ample evidence that with the notable exception of Cliftonville, the leading IL clubs are more than just "curious".

I'd say that if someone could come up with a credible, properly funded proposal which did not also threaten IL and IFA autonomy etc, then they would be very interested.

After all, they were enthusiastic enough about the Setanta Cup in the early days, before the money dwindled.

I think a more expansive All-Ireland Cup competition, with proper funding and sponsors, would be more likely to garner wide support than an AIL. My ideal format would be a 32-team straight knockout competition, featuring the 12 NIFL Premiership clubs and the 20 teams that currently make up the LOI Premier + First Division.

To keep initial travel costs low, the first round could be regionalised between the 16 most northerly and 16 most southerly teams. These matches could be played midweek, with the subsequent rounds being played on a Saturday or Sunday.

Every side gets a baseline sum of money per round, plus expenses for the away side, calculated on basis of distance (so the mythical Coleraine vs Cork fixture wouldn't be a problem). Prize money in the latter rounds would be substantial but realistic - maybe similar to what the early Setanta Cup had.

The one thing that would need ironed out (and probably never was during the Setanta days) would be where the competition fits in each of the league's respective seasons - ideally the cup wouldn't clash with the Irish Cup and FAI Cup, which leaves a very small window in which it could be played.

That's me done being Kieran Lucid for the day, but I think a scenario like the above would appeal to supporters North and South, as well as maintaining autonomy for the leagues and associations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    I recall it being said a few months back. A quick google throws this up example (though behind a paywall):

Exclusive: Northern Irish clubs to retain European spots as £10m All-Ireland League to adopt split-season format

Danske Bank Premiership clubs will be able to keep their four European slots and be permitted to play in a cross-border competition worth £10m per year under current models being discussed, Sunday Life Sport can reveal.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/s...-40326312.html

There is no inherent contradiction between considering Lucid a bluffer, whose own proposal is going nowhere and considering that a credible proposal would likely be supported by the majority of IL clubs.

From July last year:

Several clubs just asked to be kept in the loop. Just because something is the paper doesn't make it true. Even if their was a credible proposal, imo, you would struggle to get a majority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

Ample evidence? Let's see it. There were 3 clubs that showed a strong interest. Even then at least 1 of them would need plenty of convincing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    UNITE Union cup fixtures called off.
    Covid is only a poor convenient excuse.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Covid is only a poor convenient excuse.
    100% agreed , the organisation was shocking for this with absolutely no consultation. Ourselves and Rovers have no players available for the dates the games were supposed to be played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Several clubs just asked to be kept in the loop. Just because something is the paper doesn't make it true. Even if their was a credible proposal, imo, you would struggle to get a majority.
    LOL. For evidence I think we'll go by we'll go with research done by actual reporters rather than your opinion. And in fairness, EG said "seemingly interested" too, not "struggled to get a majority" in a final vote, so you've shifted the goalposts too there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    LOL. For evidence I think we'll go by we'll go with research done by actual reporters rather than your opinion. And in fairness, EG said "seemingly interested" too, not "struggled to get a majority" in a final vote, so you've shifted the goalposts too there.
    Well if you want to go with titbits and spin gleaned by the odd reporter as opposed to the opinion of someone who was on the inside of process, then that's entirely up to you.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Well if you want to go with titbits and spin gleaned by the odd reporter as opposed to the opinion of someone who was on the inside of process, then that's entirely up to you.
    As someone on the inside of the process, are Irish League clubs now less likely to support an AIL due to the inevitability of Derry Citys’s 38IAR?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I can't really see a cross border competition working well as long as the 2 leagues are on different seasons.

I read before that a switch to summer football is on the cards up north. If/When that happens I think the natural next step would be to get rid of the league cup and bring in an All Ireland Cup competition.

Would be a straight forward way of getting regular competitive games between clubs north and south without all the red tape and politics of an all Ireland league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Other

An article today on a proposed Baltic League, which looks very familiar to the most recent All-Island league proposals with the domestic leagues splitting mid season.

22. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...droidApp_Other

An article today on a proposed Baltic League, which looks very familiar to the most recent All-Island league proposals with the domestic leagues splitting mid season.
    I don't know how having an all Ireland league would be dramatically better than the present as the Irish League is in a worse situation than LOI.

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast