Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 740 of 785

Thread: All-Ireland League Thread

  1. #721
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,754
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,535
    Thanked in
    2,170 Posts
    Actually, the Dutch league is broadcast in Arabic in Morocco.

    Which, now that you've clarified your initial point, means it's still somewhat undermined. The Dutch and Belgian leagues both have global TV deals, so there being two broadcasting languages in Belgium and only one in Holland isn't necessarily that big a deal in the global scale of things.

    Also, on a more general level and because I don't think this has been mentioned as yet, but the BeNe league doesn't have a TV deal worth €400m. It doesn't have any TV deal. It has a report from Deloitte* saying that a joint TV deal "could" be worth in the region of €250m to €400m. You would have to imagine that the upper boundary of that would be dependent on maximising international rights. Of course, outside of Declan Conroy's fantasy world, the LoI doesn't have to worry about international rights.

    * - The cynic in me would also note that Deloitte also said the FAI's finances were fine, so I'll believe those figures when/if I see them.

  2. #722
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    401
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Actually, the Dutch league is broadcast in Arabic in Morocco.

    Which, now that you've clarified your initial point, means it's still somewhat undermined. The Dutch and Belgian leagues both have global TV deals, so there being two broadcasting languages in Belgium and only one in Holland isn't necessarily that big a deal in the global scale of things.

    Also, on a more general level and because I don't think this has been mentioned as yet, but the BeNe league doesn't have a TV deal worth 400m. It doesn't have any TV deal. It has a report from Deloitte* saying that a joint TV deal "could" be worth in the region of 250m to 400m. You would have to imagine that the upper boundary of that would be dependent on maximising international rights. Of course, outside of Declan Conroy's fantasy world, the LoI doesn't have to worry about international rights.

    * - The cynic in me would also note that Deloitte also said the FAI's finances were fine, so I'll believe those figures when/if I see them.
    Well there is no BeNe league at the moment - just an aspiration in some quarters to have one. So no great surprise really that it doesn't have concrete commercial arrangements yet

    The fact that you keep digging the hole on that Moroccan thing is hilarious

  3. #723
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,754
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,535
    Thanked in
    2,170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Well there is no BeNe league at the moment - just an aspiration in some quarters to have one. So no great surprise really that it doesn't have concrete commercial arrangements yet
    True, but given the figure was quoted, more than once, by Buller on this thread - one of the posters most in favour of this - then it's relevant to point out that it is complete pie in the sky at present. So a post like -

    Quote Originally Posted by Buller
    So together currently generate €160m between them at the moment, and joining together would push that to €400m. Joining two markets pushes value up disproportionately higher than you would expect.
    - is immediately undermined, and that's worth pointing out.

    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    The fact that you keep digging the hole on that Moroccan thing is hilarious
    Not really - just countering your point about one broadcasting language in Holland affecting the TV rights deal. If you have an argument to make against my suggestion that the number of domestic languages isn't really relevant in the context of a global TV deal, fire ahead.

  4. #724
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    401
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not really - just countering your point about one broadcasting language in Holland affecting the TV rights deal. If you have an argument to make against my suggestion that the number of domestic languages isn't really relevant in the context of a global TV deal, fire ahead.
    And still you keep digging !

    Look - it's very simple. Having a league which has to be broadcast domestically in two languages will obviously increase broadcast costs/complexity and make it intrinsically less appealing for advertising. Because you split the potential viewing audience into two, so any commercial entity wishing to target them then has to double their activity/spend to reach the total audience across the two languages. The overseas broadcast stuff is irrelevant in that, as it will always be broadcast overseas in the target language anyway. That has no influence or bearing at all upon the reality of having to broadcast domestically in two different languages across different channels, and the implications that has cost-wise and commercially.

    For the love go God, let it go man....

  5. #725
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,104
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    126
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    550
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    At the risk of coming between a rock and a hard place, the languages is in all likelihood a non issue.
    I remember watching Grahame Burke at Preston when you could watch whatever Championship game you wanted via the "red Button" on whatever channel was showing it (i think it was BT) by picking your match after pressing the red button from the alternatives offered, the half time adverts were all the same.
    You would have the cost of an extra commentator studio based i guess.

  6. #726
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,754
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,535
    Thanked in
    2,170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    At the risk of coming between a rock and a hard place, the languages is in all likelihood a non issue.
    I remember watching Grahame Burke at Preston when you could watch whatever Championship game you wanted via the "red Button" on whatever channel was showing it (i think it was BT) by picking your match after pressing the red button from the alternatives offered, the half time adverts were all the same.
    You would have the cost of an extra commentator studio based i guess.
    Exactly. And the cost of an extra commentator is tiny in the context of the overall package.

    EYG is still ignoring the global nature of TV deals these days, which come in all sorts of languages and overseas broadcast is certainly not "irrelevant" as overseas is a growing market and in fact for the Premier League, overseas is worth almost the same as domestic now. So Belgium having two broadcast languages is tiny in that context, even before you factor in that the broadcast just slots in around ads, etc.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 09/04/2021 at 1:54 PM.

  7. #727
    First Team WeAreRovers's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,875
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    29
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    53
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Broadcaster staffer here, multi-lingual coverage is essentially a non-issue. Carry on...
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #728
    Youth Team
    Joined
    May 2020
    Posts
    223
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    47
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    But replays are an issue?

  10. #729
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    401
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    At the risk of coming between a rock and a hard place, the languages is in all likelihood a non issue.
    I remember watching Grahame Burke at Preston when you could watch whatever Championship game you wanted via the "red Button" on whatever channel was showing it (i think it was BT) by picking your match after pressing the red button from the alternatives offered, the half time adverts were all the same.
    You would have the cost of an extra commentator studio based i guess.
    That suggests that the same channels in Belgium broadcast in different languages at the same time. They don't. You have Wallonian language channels and Vlaams language channels (plus German for the east, but we'll ignore that). There isn't just one channel doing both simultaneously. There is no unified national TV broadcaster in Belgium. There aren't even unified broadcasting, media or advertising laws - as they're decided on a regional basis too. Different people watch different 'regional' channels on the basis of the language they use. And not every channel in Belgium is accessible in every part of Belgium either.

    It's not like the Irish model where RTE is available in English everywhere, and chucks in the occasional show 'as Gaeilge'.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 09/04/2021 at 3:18 PM.

  11. #730
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    401
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    Broadcaster staffer here, multi-lingual coverage is essentially a non-issue. Carry on...
    Someone who lived in Belgium here (Mechelen). It is in a country where there is no single channel covering the whole place, and instead there are completely separate channels covering each language in each linguistic region.

    Belgium makes Northern Ireland look like a model of social/community integration
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 09/04/2021 at 3:12 PM.

  12. #731
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,550
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,790
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,457
    Thanked in
    2,017 Posts
    Ireland and Belgium are very different.

  13. #732
    Youth Team Kiki Balboa's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2011
    Location
    In the shadow realm
    Posts
    200
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    8
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    52
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Someone who lived in Belgium here (Mechelen). It is in a country where there is no single channel covering the whole place, and instead there are completely separate channels covering each language in each linguistic region.

    Belgium makes Northern Ireland look like a model of social/community integration
    Eh... a bit far , all hings considered....

  14. #733
    First Team Mr_Parker's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2005
    Location
    At the home of Irish Football
    Posts
    1,153
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    59
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    144
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Actually you're right, but so what if it is?

    It has no relevance to any proposed AIL.

    Meanwhile, as far as IL competitiveness goes, Linfield, Crues and Glens already are (or are about to go) f-t. All three have big plans for the future.

    And Larne's benefactor has big ambitions (and big money!) to do the same for them - f-t contracts, stadium, European aspirations etc. So that if they can make the same progress over the next 3 or 4 years we've seen over the last 3, then you couldn't discount them.

    While Coleraine are very well managed, and Portadown have potential (though they've ****ed it up the wall for a decade or more).

    And all the above would surely prompt Cliftonville to try to keep up - Mr.P, any comment?

    My guess is that if an AIL doesn't actually materialise for another 3(?) years, and the IL continues in the interim to grow as it has recently, I'd suggest that it could contribute 4, 5 or even 6 clubs who would all be competitive in the company of their LOI counterparts. For if an AIL produced the revenues which its backers are projecting, then being generally well-managed clubs, they all have the potential to grow to be bigger fish in a bigger pond.
    Of all you have said, only Linfield have the potential to be a truly full time club. While others have been playing with the concept, none of them are close to what is a full time set up. Indeed I am aware of frustration and doubt within those same clubs, that fulltime football is something that will work in the short to medium term for them. There are a few egos that are driving their push to fulltime, while others in their clubs see the realities. It's the same egos that want to see an AIL so that they can play football manager on a larger scale. If they try to follow the same paths as some LOI clubs, then it will end in tears imo.

    As for Cliftonville, and indeed the rest of the clubs, of course they will want to "keep up" with their competitors, but I doubt they will risk their existence just to do so.

  15. #734
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    401
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Eh... a bit far , all hings considered....
    It really isn't. Belgium basically isn't a single country. It's two countries that just about manage to remain together, with a King and a football team being pretty much the only thing that unifies them. Although even within that the football team inevitably has to take 'sides', as it has to be managed, play etc in one or other language. Same with fans singing.

    People don't seem to realise how divided Belgium is. At least NI has a single language that everyone uses, media they all share etc. Just because Belgians don't riot occasionally doesn't make it a more coherent society. Belgium went almost 2 years without a government recently as the two sides couldn't agree on one. And unlike in NI with its recent Assembly down-time, there is no fall back solution when an entire country doesn't have someone to run it. But hey - the big issue there is apparently that a few people are Moroccan....
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 10/04/2021 at 2:39 PM.

  16. #735
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,754
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,535
    Thanked in
    2,170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    But hey - the big issue there is apparently that a few people are Moroccan....
    Which of course has nothing at all to do with what I was saying.

    But you keep telling us how you know more about TV deals than someone who actually works in TV. It would go well alongside your pyramid system that didn't actually have a pyramid system.

  17. #736
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    401
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Which of course has nothing at all to do with what I was saying.

    But you keep telling us how you know more about TV deals than someone who actually works in TV. It would go well alongside your pyramid system that didn't actually have a pyramid system.
    And you keep claiming you know more about Belgium than someone who actually lived there ! Which is doubly funny when you have a weird obsession with Moroccans (some 'interesting' holiday experiences to share with the class ?), yet still managed to over-inflate the number in Belgium by a factor of 4.

    For the love of God - move on before you make this any worse !

  18. #737
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,649
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    912
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    314
    Thanked in
    173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    For the love of God - move on before you make this any worse !
    He might be able to if you stopped bringing it up.

  19. Thanks From:


  20. #738
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,677
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,754
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,535
    Thanked in
    2,170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    And you keep claiming you know more about Belgium than someone who actually lived there !
    "Living in Belgium" isn't really a point in defence of your claim that having to broadcast in two languages devalues the value of its league's TV rights.

    My point that global TV rights are sold in lots of languages so what's one more, and WaR's point that languages don't really impact broadcasting anyway, do counter your point.

    And that, so far as I can see, is where the matter sits at the moment.

  21. #739
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,346
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    401
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    431
    Thanked in
    257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    "living in belgium" isn't really a point in defence of your claim that having to broadcast in two languages devalues the value of its league's tv rights.

    My point that global tv rights are sold in lots of languages so what's one more, and war's point that languages don't really impact broadcasting anyway, do counter your point.

    And that, so far as i can see, is where the matter sits at the moment.
    MOD EDIT : Stop. Please.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 10/04/2021 at 8:33 PM.

  22. #740
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,883
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    455
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,484
    Thanked in
    738 Posts
    Back on topic please lads. It would be great if an AIL had an international broadcast deal but flogging a dead horse with this one.

  23. Thanks From:


Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. League of Ireland Condolences Thread
    By Mr A in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 221
    Last Post: 09/05/2021, 1:25 PM
  2. League of Ireland +2.5 goals thread
    By Real ale Madrid in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 20/10/2015, 7:44 PM
  3. League of Ireland Finance Thread
    By Umberside in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29/08/2009, 9:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •