Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Ireland League Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Refreshingly honest - and applies to many (most?) (all?) fans.

But that's my point. While LOI clubs/fans could naturally be worried that IL clubs might drag standards down on the pitch in an AIL, IL fans/clubs should be worried that LOI clubs might drag the whole league down by their off-the-pitch activities.

For while the IL had to learn a hard lesson after a period when many clubs tried to "buy success" by gambling with money they didn't have, too many LOI clubs appear not to have heeded that lesson.

And while I personally am in favour of an AIL in principle, I would be very worried that it might crash and burn for financial reasons (clubs overspending and Lucid's promises of money unfulfilled), at which point we might not even have an IL to go back to.
    Dundalk FC record losses of over €1.2 million for 2019

https://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/news/...-for-2019.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Very good piece on this. Hopefully NI based teams will change their minds!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Punchy.

He's basically accusing the IFA of doing a lighter version of what the FAI has done to the LOI over the years.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Very good piece on this. Hopefully NI based teams will change their minds!
    Largely they won't I fear. Because their decision will be about more than just football.

As a member-run club, I'm not even sure Crusaders would be in a position to support an AIL if it ever came to a vote on one.

I don't think the author of that piece (Mark Langhammer) is from Northern Ireland (anyone confirm?). Which may perhaps contribute to how he views things.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Largely they won't I fear. Because their decision will be about more than just football.

As a member-run club, I'm not even sure Crusaders would be in a position to support an AIL if it ever came to a vote on one.

I don't think the author of that piece (Mark Langhammer) is from Northern Ireland (anyone confirm?). Which may perhaps contribute to how he views things.
    Yeah hes definitely not Southern based as I would have heard of the name by now as do be on twitter a lot so possibly he could be UK based?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Although his family background was originally Central European, Mark himself is an Norn Iron as brown lemonade - born, brought up, educated and always lived there.

Although he's quite an individualist, never afraid to swim against the tide. For example, away from football, he's a Trade Unionist and Labour/Community activist, who wasn't afraid eg to stand up to the UDA in Rathcoole back in the day. Which is either very brave or very stupid, or both. (I think they put a bomb under his car one time?)

Anyhow, I quite admire him for being prepared to be an outsider, but having said that, he does get carried away, including with the sound of his own voice. Which is why he's not as widely popular as he might be.

Also sticks up for Crues come-what-may, which means his views shouldn't be taken as widely representative beyond the Shore Road.

Definitely a character though, who despite (I think) going to rugby schools, is a proper football man.
    Last edited by EalingGreen; 04/06/2020 at 5:32 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    When helping conduct a strategic review with Harps over a decade ago we spoke to various clubs on both sides of the border about how they did things and Mark was incredibly helpful, as where people involved in Cliftonville and Dungannon in fairness, generous with his time and experience and so willing to help out.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfan View Post
    And before the thread gets back on track Dublin became the Capital of an Independent (very centralised) State which helped its growth no end.
    But Cork is de real capital, boi !

13. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    But Cork is de real capital, boi !
    Has anyone, anytime, ever produced even a moderately cromulent reason for this bizarro claim?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    898 Posts
    I'd guess the answer might be here. DSM-5 Cork has a ring to it if a new club name was ever needed.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

16. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Has anyone, anytime, ever produced even a moderately cromulent reason for this bizarro claim?
    The Corkie with an inferiority complex - thinks he's only as good as everyone else.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    In a bizarre turn of events the UVF will be competing in the 20/21 NIFL Premiership

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/new-...scheme-1029026

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    898 Posts
    Bizarre is... one word to use alright.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    In a bizarre turn of events the UVF will be competing in the 20/21 NIFL Premiership

https://www.otbsports.com/sport/new-...scheme-1029026
    This is no comment on the suitability or otherwise of this new kit (though I have the sick bag handy just in case!), but there is rather an important mistake in the text of that article:
    "The purple and orange flag of the UVF was first displayed - according to React - "on the U.V.F. review parade held at Balmoral, Belfast in 1912".

The UVF officially ended its campaign of violence in 2007, but during the Troubles they were responsible for more than 500 deaths."

The original Ulster Volunteers formed up under Edward Carson in 1912 to oppose Home Rule. Around the same time, the Irish Volunteers were formed under John Redmond to support it.

However, when WWI broke out, the campaigning around HR was put on hold until the War was settled. Meanwhile, many members of the Ulster Volunteers joined the British Army as part of the 36th (Ulster) Division to fight the Germans in Flanders etc, while members of Redmond's Volunteers joined the 16th (Irish) Division, the two at one stage fighting side-by-side, and with great distinction.

Anyhow, you probably know what happened subsequently (Easter Rising, War of Independence, Partition etc), the point being that at the end of this period, the Ulster Volunteers basically disbanded.

Which was all fine and dandy until a bunch of scum led by Gusty Spence and his cronies got together in 1966 to form a paramilitary gang and chose the name "UVF". As such, they had no connection with the originals and no right to the name.

Therefore that report was quite wrong to segue seamlessly from 1912 to 2007, as though it was all one unbroken line. It wasn't.

All that said, it was still pretty crass - if typical - of Linfield to adopt that particular colour scheme, 1912 or no.

Something like this is far more dignified:
    https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/so...4807#gsc.tab=0

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    This is no comment on the suitability or otherwise of this new kit (though I have the sick bag handy just in case!), but there is rather an important mistake in the text of that article:
    "The purple and orange flag of the UVF was first displayed - according to React - "on the U.V.F. review parade held at Balmoral, Belfast in 1912".

The UVF officially ended its campaign of violence in 2007, but during the Troubles they were responsible for more than 500 deaths."

The original Ulster Volunteers formed up under Edward Carson in 1912 to oppose Home Rule. Around the same time, the Irish Volunteers were formed under John Redmond to support it.

However, when WWI broke out, the campaigning around HR was put on hold until the War was settled. Meanwhile, many members of the Ulster Volunteers joined the British Army as part of the 36th (Ulster) Division to fight the Germans in Flanders etc, while members of Redmond's Volunteers joined the 16th (Irish) Division, the two at one stage fighting side-by-side, and with great distinction.

Anyhow, you probably know what happened subsequently (Easter Rising, War of Independence, Partition etc), the point being that at the end of this period, the Ulster Volunteers basically disbanded.

Which was all fine and dandy until a bunch of scum led by Gusty Spence and his cronies got together in 1966 to form a paramilitary gang and chose the name "UVF". As such, they had no connection with the originals and no right to the name.

Therefore that report was quite wrong to segue seamlessly from 1912 to 2007, as though it was all one unbroken line. It wasn't.

All that said, it was still pretty crass - if typical - of Linfield to adopt that particular colour scheme, 1912 or no.

Something like this is far more dignified:
    https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/so...4807#gsc.tab=0
    I think the biggest club in the NIFL deliberately modelling their kit on the colours of a sectarian murder gang probably extends beyond crass. I won’t even honour your explanation of the UVF’s history with a response.

It will no doubt sell very well, gotta give them that I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    With the 12th of July a month away, perfect timing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    There hasnt being much comment here on Wexfords attempt of an awful new jersey on Che Guevera. I think its shocking and disgraceful to have a picture of Guevera to be sneakily put on it. It took me guts of a day to see his image. Hope FAI clamp down hard. Dont mind Bohs one but Guevera takes the biscuit altogether.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    I think the biggest club in the NIFL deliberately modelling their kit on the colours of a sectarian murder gang probably extends beyond crass. .
    OK, substitute "crass" with "disgusting" or "disgraceful" if you like - you'll get no objection to that from me.

I won’t even honour your explanation of the UVF’s history with a response.
    How was it incorrect or misleading?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

How was it incorrect or misleading?
    I didn’t say it was.

Do we have a pic of Wexford’s Che jersey ?

Page 25 of 43 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast