Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast
Results 701 to 720 of 741

Thread: All-Ireland League Thread

  1. #701
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    400
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    Yeah the plan is for 10 Dutch and 8 Belgian teams to form an 18 team league; that's where the commercial projections came from. From this ratio I'd imagine the Belgian league currently is worth less than Dutch.

    Will be interesting to see how it progresses in any case.
    Considering that the Netherlands has a population almost 50% larger than Belgium's (17m vs 11.5m), the Belgians should be bloody delighted with that split.

    The huge population difference would be reason enough on its own for the Dutch league to have higher commercial value. It helps as well that it's all in one language too (i.e. less complicated to televise).

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #702
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,374
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,133
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,592
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    One language? That'll be news in Wallonia. Dutch/Flemish might be the majority language, but there's a sizeable French-speaking contingent (4-5m?) to cater to that tends to be outspoken on matters concening identity and politics that doesn't feel quite in step with the rest of the country. Worth bearing in mind that an All-Ireland league might have to broadcast in English, Irish and Ulster Scots to satisfy similar local sensibilities.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

  4. #703
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,542
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,739
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,515
    Thanked in
    2,157 Posts
    Let's ignore too that 10% (or whatever it is) of Holland is Moroccan

  5. #704
    The Cheeto God Real ale Madrid's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    3,882
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    455
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,478
    Thanked in
    737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    One language? That'll be news in Wallonia. Dutch/Flemish might be the majority language, but there's a sizeable French-speaking contingent (4-5m?) to cater to that tends to be outspoken on matters concening identity and politics that doesn't feel quite in step with the rest of the country. Worth bearing in mind that an All-Ireland league might have to broadcast in English, Irish and Ulster Scots to satisfy similar local sensibilities.
    I quite like the idea of forcing Linfield fans to tune into TG4.

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Let's ignore too that 10% (or whatever it is) of Holland is Moroccan
    Wha?
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 08/04/2021 at 11:02 AM.

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #705
    International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Cork
    Posts
    5,635
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    898
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    305
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Let's ignore too that 10% (or whatever it is) of Holland is Moroccan
    2.35% according to the ever reliable Wikipedia.

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #706
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,542
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,739
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,515
    Thanked in
    2,157 Posts
    Fairy nuff.

    The point was though that you can't really call anywhere monolingual these days.

  10. Thanks From:


  11. #707
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    400
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    One language? That'll be news in Wallonia. Dutch/Flemish might be the majority language, but there's a sizeable French-speaking contingent (4-5m?) to cater to that tends to be outspoken on matters concening identity and politics that doesn't feel quite in step with the rest of the country. Worth bearing in mind that an All-Ireland league might have to broadcast in English, Irish and Ulster Scots to satisfy similar local sensibilities.
    Read what I wrote again. I was talking about the Dutch League. Which IS all in one language (we'll ignore Frescia for the moment).

  12. #708
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    400
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Let's ignore too that 10% (or whatever it is) of Holland is Moroccan
    That's just a weird point to make - unless you're claiming that none of them can speak Dutch and it commercially devalues the Dutch league as a result.

    12% of the population of Ireland was born elsewhere. That doesn't mean they all can't navigate through life in English.

    Has Gemma O'Doherty stolen your keyboard ?

  13. #709
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    400
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    2.35% according to the ever reliable Wikipedia.
    Don't be upsetting Gemma now

  14. #710
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,542
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,739
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,515
    Thanked in
    2,157 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    That's just a weird point to make - unless you're claiming that none of them can speak Dutch and it commercially devalues the Dutch league as a result.

    12% of the population of Ireland was born elsewhere. That doesn't mean they all can't navigate through life in English.

    Has Gemma O'Doherty stolen your keyboard ?
    Not really. Your point was that it (whatever "it" is) was "all in the one language". I (and Eminence Grise) just wanted to counter that lazy assertion.

    Wiki says that 25% of Holland isn't Dutch - ok, a lot of them are going to be Belgian/German/Luxembourgish, but still, a lot of them would not have Dutch as their first language. It'd arguably be more noticeable there than here because Dutch is such a relatively obscure language compared to English. I would say there's a sizeable portion with Arabic as their first language for example.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 08/04/2021 at 1:59 PM.

  15. #711
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    2,374
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,133
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,592
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Read what I wrote again. I was talking about the Dutch League. Which IS all in one language (we'll ignore Frescia for the moment).
    I see that meaning now. Wasn't the clearest post, tbh
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

  16. #712
    First Team Buller's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Cider
    Posts
    1,171
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    78
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    60
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Considering that the Netherlands has a population almost 50% larger than Belgium's (17m vs 11.5m), the Belgians should be bloody delighted with that split.

    The huge population difference would be reason enough on its own for the Dutch league to have higher commercial value. It helps as well that it's all in one language too (i.e. less complicated to televise).
    Ah yes, didn't think there was such a large population difference. Yeah they'll be delighted with that split.

  17. #713
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    400
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not really. Your point was that it (whatever "it" is) was "all in the one language". I (and Eminence Grise) just wanted to counter that lazy assertion.

    Wiki says that 25% of Holland isn't Dutch - ok, a lot of them are going to be Belgian/German/Luxembourgish, but still, a lot of them would not have Dutch as their first language. It'd arguably be more noticeable there than here because Dutch is such a relatively obscure language compared to English. I would say there's a sizeable portion with Arabic as their first language for example.
    This is starting to feel like someone pedantically trying to pick an argument. So let me clarify to hopefully save everyone that pain.

    The Dutch League is broadcast within the Netherlands in Dutch (again - let's agree to ignore SC Heerenveen and the minority Frisian language, least you try to have a row over that too ) . The linguistic uniformity of Dutch broadcasting therefore makes it easier and cheaper to broadcast than the Belgian League, which involves two very separate large languages (meaning different commentary and commentators for games etc). And by splitting the audience for the Belgian League into 2 different large linguistic groups, not only is it more complex/expensive to broadcast, but it's commercial value is also reduced. As it's more expensive to advertise to, and you have to duplicate resources in 2 different languages. And that's all in addition to the more significant issue that Belgium just has a much smaller population than the Netherlands.

    Happy now ?

    P.S. The number of people who speak Moroccan in the Netherlands is utterly irrelevant to any of this btw. Doubly so as Moroccans are ironically a bigger portion of Belgium's population than they are in Holland. But hey - pedants gonna ped...
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 08/04/2021 at 3:22 PM.

  18. #714
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    32,542
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,739
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,515
    Thanked in
    2,157 Posts
    Well this is what happens when your original posts are as clear as your pyramid structure unfortunately...

  19. #715
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    11,275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,655
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,229
    Thanked in
    1,475 Posts
    Oh man, having the AIL covered in Ulster Scots is going to be a nightmare.

    Or to put it more accurately, och no, haven the AIL happed in Ulster Scoots will be a puure nightmare
    Last edited by Mr A; 08/04/2021 at 4:23 PM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

  20. #716
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    400
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Well this is what happens when your original posts are as clear as your pyramid structure unfortunately...
    Pedants gonna ped

  21. #717
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    400
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Oh man, having the AIL covered in Ulster Scots is going to be a nightmare.
    No-one actually speaks Ulster Scots though. It's those dastardly Moroccans you need watch out for.

  22. #718
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    4
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Oh man, having the AIL covered in Ulster Scots is going to be a nightmare.
    I can hear Stuart Byrne saying "he jundied him aff the bal" and "Stannin there like a mutton-dummy" . Real phases

  23. #719
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    531
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    41
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    95
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    And if that all wasn't enough, there's quite a variety of languages spoken in Morocco. A few variations of arabic, french. and several berber languages as well as spanish in the north.

  24. #720
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,311
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    400
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    425
    Thanked in
    253 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    And if that all wasn't enough, there's quite a variety of languages spoken in Morocco. A few variations of arabic, french. and several berber languages as well as spanish in the north.
    Very true. All of which are busy broadcasting the Eredivisie no doubt

    (To be fair - the Spanish enclaves in North Africa are not actually Morocco. They're legally bits of Spain that just happen to be beside Morocco).

Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. League of Ireland Condolences Thread
    By Mr A in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 215
    Last Post: 07/02/2021, 4:14 AM
  2. League of Ireland +2.5 goals thread
    By Real ale Madrid in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 20/10/2015, 7:44 PM
  3. League of Ireland Finance Thread
    By Umberside in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 29/08/2009, 9:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •