Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Ireland League Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    You seem very defensive and combative Parker. And that's fair enough.At what stage for you is a AIL on? What's the bottom line for NIFL getting involved in an AIL?
    NIFL itself won't get involved as such discussions can on only be conducted by the IFA due to it being a cross associations issue. The IFA will only fully engage when several key questions are answered and protections are in place. E.g. Financial package, club licensing, European comps etc. Basically, is it viable and good for the IFA and it's member clubs. There are one or two people in the IFA who use such competition's, like the current cross border cup, as nothing more than a vanity project, especially when it comes to votes for FIFA positions.

Personally, I try to call reality, rather than being just defensive or combative.
    Last edited by Mr_Parker; 05/04/2021 at 10:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Why not just watch Man City and ignore the LoI though?

After all, it's a results game
    Isn't that what most do anyway?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Cant help but feel its bad timing for such an anouncement from the Belfast Telegraph. Could have waited till things died down a little bit (when petrol bombs werent being thrown at police up north) or maybe that was their intention. I guess UEFA want to announce something positive along with the deeply unpopular new Champions league rules. Do think that new language will have to be used around the competition. For example, 'all-Ireland' might put off some up North.
    There was no announcement. It was more like a speculative story, let alone one given any thought by or involvement of UEFA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    I don't think this analysis stands up to be honest.

In the past six seasons, Shamrock Rovers, Dundalk and Cork have not only won the title or the Cup each year, but have also been runners-up each year (except for Bohs breaking that last year by coming second in the league). That's an unprecedented dominance here.

Cork have since imploded due to mismanagement, and I think Dundalk are on the same road to be honest. Rovers appear to have a much more sustainable model with their academy, and I don't see who's coming through to challenge them at the moment given no-one's beaten them in the league since Sept 2019 (25 games now). Bohs are the obvious ones, but this year hasn't started well. Harps are battling relegation obviously, Sligo could be on the way up but can they launch a title challenge?

And what 4/6 IL clubs are going to challenge for a title? We know it's a weaker league (which isn't to say it's a lesser league) and I don't see any way Ballymena, Cliftonville or Larne (4th to 6th at the moment) could challenge for the title here.

I think a combined league would be more competitive in general - it couldn't not be - but I don't think it's true at all to say that most teams, including 4-6 from the IL, would have a chance of winning an AIL in the next ten years.
    People said the exact same thing when Rovers won the league in 2011 (.... the 'model club' argument again..). People said the same about Dundalk. LOI history shows no team stays long at the top. As you said, both Dundalk and Cork dominated for 5 years and now look at them. So many clubs in LOI are roughly the same size.

As for the NI clubs, if Ballymena and Cliftonville were playing Dundalk and Rovers instead of Warrenpoint and Carrick Rangers , it would definitly provide a lot more room for growth. Both teams both get 3000 to at least one game a year (which is high considering they dont challenge for the league). There is a gap between ROI and NI football, its espeically the case from 8th place downwards in the Norths premier, who are little more than mid-table first divison teams here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    Yes the game is results based, but not when the game may be unbalanced because one club is advantaged over another because a blind eye is turned,
    Eg how you were bleating on about pro license requirements? Once again yes rules are rules but having a lesser qualified head coach doesnt offer an advantage/cause imbalance as were are seeing all too obviously currently at Oriel Park. I'd be interested to know what particular blind eye is being turned actually and where you see things unbalance?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    People said the exact same thing when Rovers won the league in 2011 (.... the 'model club' argument again..). People said the same about Dundalk. LOI history shows no team stays long at the top. As you said, both Dundalk and Cork dominated for 5 years and now look at them. So many clubs in LOI are roughly the same size.
    I think the Rovers setup is different now. If they can bring decently-coached young players through and generate consistent income from that each year, then all they're doing is exactly what most successful smaller clubs on the continent are doing now anyway. They weren't doing that in 2011. It's why I think they could dominate for a while to come, especially while their closest rivals implode by virtue of poor short-term policies.

As for the NI clubs, if Ballymena and Cliftonville were playing Dundalk and Rovers instead of Warrenpoint and Carrick Rangers , it would definitly provide a lot more room for growth.
    It would provide a small bit of extra room for growth, not a lot; we need to be realistic about the impact. But to the extent that 4-6 NI teams could challenge for the title in an AIL? No.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Isn't that what most do anyway?
    I don't think you know what point you're trying to argue to be honest.

EYG made the point that "The results generally bear out the view that the LOI is stronger than the IL. That's therefore just a statement of fact. Yet plenty in the north still look down their nose at us." I'm saying that results aren't everything when it comes to following football. For you, as a Dundalk fan, to say "What else matters?" is openly hypocritical. You know full well that there's more to following football than results. It's why we're all here following it and talking about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    I don't think you know what point you're trying to argue to be honest.

EYG made the point that "The results generally bear out the view that the LOI is stronger than the IL. That's therefore just a statement of fact. Yet plenty in the north still look down their nose at us." I'm saying that results aren't everything when it comes to following football. For you, as a Dundalk fan, to say "What else matters?" is openly hypocritical. You know full well that there's more to following football than results. It's why we're all here following it and talking about it.
    Same point, that results are predominantly what matters to everyone but a small minority like us on here. If they didn't all clubs would be supported proportionately based on their location and we'd have a well supported little league here.

It's pretty much how people pick their English club, predominantly Leeds, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City because they were the most successful clubs at the time. It shouldn't be the way but it is

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    According to responses to the article on Twitter, most Northern Irish fans would be against this idea https://twitter.com/SundayLifeSport/...18342668402689

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Source View Post
    According to responses to the article on Twitter, most Northern Irish fans would be against this idea https://twitter.com/SundayLifeSport/...18342668402689
    I wouldn't give too much weight - either way - to a few idiots on Twitter.

But the bit that really caught my eye was this:

"Clubs involved believe they can earn an eye-watering £400m from TV rights alone, a prospect that would be hard to reject out of hand."

What do you all reckon? Is that £1m a year for the next 400 years, or £2m a year for the next 200?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I presumed that the 400m was with the Dutch Belgian project!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I presumed that the 400m was with the Dutch Belgian project!?
    Actually you're right, but so what if it is?

It has no relevance to any proposed AIL.

Meanwhile, as far as IL competitiveness goes, Linfield, Crues and Glens already are (or are about to go) f-t. All three have big plans for the future.

And Larne's benefactor has big ambitions (and big money!) to do the same for them - f-t contracts, stadium, European aspirations etc. So that if they can make the same progress over the next 3 or 4 years we've seen over the last 3, then you couldn't discount them.

While Coleraine are very well managed, and Portadown have potential (though they've ****ed it up the wall for a decade or more).

And all the above would surely prompt Cliftonville to try to keep up - Mr.P, any comment?

My guess is that if an AIL doesn't actually materialise for another 3(?) years, and the IL continues in the interim to grow as it has recently, I'd suggest that it could contribute 4, 5 or even 6 clubs who would all be competitive in the company of their LOI counterparts. For if an AIL produced the revenues which its backers are projecting, then being generally well-managed clubs, they all have the potential to grow to be bigger fish in a bigger pond.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post

Meanwhile, as far as IL competitiveness goes, Linfield, Crues and Glens already are (or are about to go) f-t. All three have big plans for the future.

do
    Glens and Crues may be full time but some of their practices reek of 1990s part time stuff. That’s likely the fault of their respective managers.

How sustainable that set up is for either of those clubs is is also up for discussion (admittedly that can be said for most clubs on the island).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

And Larne's benefactor has big ambitions (and big money!) to do the same for them - f-t contracts, stadium, European aspirations etc. So that if they can make the same progress over the next 3 or 4 years we've seen over the last 3, then you couldn't discount them.

While Coleraine are very well managed, and Portadown have potential (though they've ****ed it up the wall for a decade or more).

And all the above would surely prompt Cliftonville to try to keep up - Mr.P, any comment?

My guess is that if an AIL doesn't actually materialise for another 3(?) years, and the IL continues in the interim to grow as it has recently, I'd suggest that it could contribute 4, 5 or even 6 clubs who would all be competitive in the company of their LOI counterparts. For if an AIL produced the revenues which its backers are projecting, then being generally well-managed clubs, they all have the potential to grow to be bigger fish in a bigger pond.
    I guess what they are getting at is there is a multiplier effect of when leagues join together.

And also, to be fair, LOI clubs are also improving. Attendences have been steadily growing (1), clubs look better run (esp the Dublin clubs and Sligo). Also, a LOI team has reached the Europa league group stages three times in the last decade. Anecdotally, I feel there is much more positivity and buzz about the league, from within and outside (Although some might disagree)....

Again, I would be excited for AIL. More depth to the league, great away games, higher ceiling for growth, similar football culture (as in *unpopular* league).

(1) https://www.extratime.com/articles/2...23%20on%202018.

14. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The great thing about LOI is the comparative sizes of clubs. In the next 10 years, its not beyond the possibility of most teams being able to win the league. There was 5 league winners of the league between 2010 and 2020 (from 4 regions). An All-Ireland league adds another 4-6 clubs which are similar stature to LOI, who can all win the league. I think it will work better than something like the Belgian and Dutch league, where you can expect Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord to finish consistantly over Genk, Anderlecht and Liege.
    I wouldn't agree with you on the Dutch and Belgian leagues. Ajax aside, Belgian football has been as strong or stronger than the bulk of the Dutch league in the past four or five years. The Dutch clubs would probably benefit more from the increased money, though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I wouldn't agree with you on the Dutch and Belgian leagues. Ajax aside, Belgian football has been as strong or stronger than the bulk of the Dutch league in the past four or five years. The Dutch clubs would probably benefit more from the increased money, though.
    Clubs in both countries will benefit. The Belgian clubs wouldn't have voted for it and it wouldn't be being discussed otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Glens and Crues may be full time but some of their practices reek of 1990s part time stuff. That’s likely the fault of their respective managers.
    (Genuine question) How have those "1990's part time" practices manifested themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    How sustainable that set up is for either of those clubs is is also up for discussion (admittedly that can be said for most clubs on the island).
    Over the last 20-odd years, Crues have clearly managed to move up a level from a minor Belfast side, to one which can take its place amongst bigger teams (on the playing field, at least).

And afaik they have very achievable plans to upgrade the stadium to help cement that standing.

As for the Glens, after a decade or more of mismanagement, they are showing clear signs of getting back their Big Two status, both on and off the pitch.

If (emphasise) they should manage to do that, they are quite capable of taking their place amongst the top half dozen clubs on the whole island.

Again.

(And yes, of course I'm biased, but I think I can produce the evidence to back it up)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    (Genuine question) How have those "1990's part time" practices manifested themselves?

)
    Players training on their own, players meeting at opposition ground on day of away games, missing training during the week etc happens at both clubs.

McDermott at the Glens in particular. He is not a professional football manager.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Clubs in both countries will benefit. The Belgian clubs wouldn't have voted for it and it wouldn't be being discussed otherwise.
    They'll both benefit but as the bigger clubs the Dutch will get the bigger slice of the increase is what I mean.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They'll both benefit but as the bigger clubs the Dutch will get the bigger slice of the increase is what I mean.
    That's not clear at all though. It depends what gets agreed.

As the Belgian league is smaller commercially, it will probably get the biggest proportional increase/benefit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Yeah the plan is for 10 Dutch and 8 Belgian teams to form an 18 team league; that's where the commercial projections came from. From this ratio I'd imagine the Belgian league currently is worth less than Dutch.

Will be interesting to see how it progresses in any case.
    Last edited by Buller; 07/04/2021 at 2:23 PM.

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast