Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It depends on him really. If he wants to be taken seriously as a decent manager, he'll tell the players that we're the best team in this league, and Milan are playing this game, at this time, for a reason, and lay everything on the line. If he decides to go down the "realistic" road, the players may as well go home.

If Tallaght was good enough to play Real Madrid and Juventus, it's good enough for AC Milan. It took Ronaldo, Raul and Real Madrid 85 minutes to win in Tallaght. It took a missed penalty for Milan to leave St. Mels Park on level terms. Of course we know what the result should be, but there's no second leg, there's no away goals to worry about. These are knockout Cup ties, there will be surprise results somewhere in Europe on the night.

Sorting out the TV rights is less challenging than sorting out tickets, but this game should be automatically covered by the existing Irish rights holders for the competition. They love to boast of showing "every game live", when in practice it appears to be just a handful of games on the night, and a selection of goals shown from a handful of other games, to a selection of available viewers. They should not be leaving Rovers to sort it out. The club already has enough work to do.
    There are no rights holders for this stage of the competition.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    If Tallaght was good enough to play Real Madrid and Juventus, it's good enough for AC Milan. It took Ronaldo, Raul and Real Madrid 85 minutes to win in Tallaght. It took a missed penalty for Milan to leave St. Mels Park on level terms. Of course we know what the result should be, but there's no second leg, there's no away goals to worry about. These are knockout Cup ties, there will be surprise results somewhere in Europe on the night.
    They were probably still in disbelief at getting muck on their fancy shoes - maybe having a top ground isnt everything

Tallaght is fine to host any team, I was just wondering whether there would be any temptation to move to a bigger venue under different circumstances. It's not entirely uncommon for some European clubs to nominate stadia different from their domestic games. I think Rovers will be a surprise outfit for Milan, hopefully they are barely bothering to scout. I think in the end Milan will win at a 0-2 or 1-3 but a shock is not impossible and certainly a solid performance is probable. Will be interesting to see how SB answers the conondrum of how to get at them. It was a disaster last season for Dundalk when we decided to keep it tight and target the last quarter of games, believing Qarabag especially would tire. The obvious tactic is to play this like an old fashioned away game, sit deep and organised, hit on the break and make set pieces count. I would love to see SB decide that the team is good enough to go at them from the off though. It wouldnt be what they'd expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    While there are no rights holders for this stage, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be. The qualifiers, playoffs, group stage, and knockout rounds are all part of the same competition. If it's ok to show one part of it, the relevant broadcaster should be obliged to show the rest. That is standard procedure in order to buy sports rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    While there are no rights holders for this stage, that doesn't mean there shouldn't be. The qualifiers, playoffs, group stage, and knockout rounds are all part of the same competition. If it's ok to show one part of it, the relevant broadcaster should be obliged to show the rest. That is standard procedure in order to buy sports rights.
    The standard procedure is to show the games you bought the rights for. UEFA didn’t include the qualifiers as part of their sale of broadcast rights for the competition. It really isn’t that difficult to understand.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    TBh lads AC Milan isnt the patch of the side of the mid noughties when Liverpool got beaten by them in 2007 Champions League final. If my memory serves me right thats the last time they have reached a European Final.
    The only big name playing for them top of my head is Ibramovic.
    I think shamrock rovers will give AC a bit of a fright but AC will won just about. Its a few years since AC were last in Europe!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    The keeper Donnarumma is a big name too in fairness. Italian first choice and successor to Buffon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    TBh lads AC Milan isnt the patch of the side of the mid noughties when Liverpool got beaten by them in 2007 Champions League final. If my memory serves me right thats the last time they have reached a European Final.
    I think shamrock rovers will give AC a bit of a fright but AC will won just about. Its a few years since AC were last in Europe!
    I dont think it matters if AC Milan are not the force they were. Certainly here there will be a big interest even if based on past reputation. Their pedigree is recent enough compared to say Red Star Belgrade. Ibrahimovic would be a draw almost alone for the curious non LoI people.

I agree with mypost on the whole TV rights for qualifying rounds in that it is the same comp. But most games would only be of 'local' interest so I can see why the spoils are not divided up evenly. That said, it is daft that a game in Ireland gets no rights for showing a game outside of Ireland. BHD makes this even more relevant - AC supporters interest alone would be fairly big nubers, add Italian TV/streaming services, well it should mean that SRFC get a significant cut of TV revenue for a game in their own home.

Differnt times, but Bohs got a big pay day for the Kiserslautern game and would have piqued not much more interest than from their own fanbase. Currently, due to covid-19, its would make a lot more sense to be more balanced with TV rights though we know that football and fair distribution of money doesnt happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    The standard procedure is to show the games you bought the rights for. UEFA didn’t include the qualifiers as part of their sale of broadcast rights for the competition. It really isn’t that difficult to understand.
    That kinda makes it even stranger, a contradcition in ways, that the home club cant sell all tv rights for a qualifier.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Rovers have zero chance against them. If you had been watching Serie A last season you will know that Milan have experienced a huge transformation under Pioli only losing 2 games in 25 in all competitions in 2020 playing an attacking brand of football. Taking Zlatan out of the equation the squad has been rebuilt and has an age profile averaging around mid-20's. They've experienced a huge fall for 7/8 years but they look like they're on the path to return to the Champions League for 2021/22
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    That kinda makes it even stranger, a contradcition in ways, that the home club cant sell all tv rights for a qualifier.
    The reason for that is because this year the games are one off. The away team having the TV rights for the rest of the world is basically to balance out the loss of a home game to sell. Rovers would have been better off drawing Milan away in this scenario, then get to play in the San Siro and sell the international broadcast rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    The reason for that is because this year the games are one off. The away team having the TV rights for the rest of the world is basically to balance out the loss of a home game to sell. Rovers would have been better off drawing Milan away in this scenario, then get to play in the San Siro and sell the international broadcast rights.
    I may be misunderstanding you but the home side dont have a game to sell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I may be misunderstanding you but the home side dont have a game to sell.
    The home team own the rights to the broadcast in their own country. Whether it’s fair or not, I think that’s the reason the ownership of the TV rights for these qualifiers have been done like this. Obviously there’s no game to sell for attendance but what I’m talking about is the TV rights.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Could Rovers not make good money from adverts spread across the seats, flag style? Or even hung on the edges of the stands visible to TV cameras, assuming RTÉ or TV3/Virgin muck televise the match free? This would normally not be an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    The home team own the rights to the broadcast in their own country. Whether it’s fair or not, I think that’s the reason the ownership of the TV rights for these qualifiers have been done like this. Obviously there’s no game to sell for attendance but what I’m talking about is the TV rights.
    Ok got ye now. Certainly isnt fair and doesnt sound like it was thought through much - or the decision makers were from larger leagues and clubs with international appeal (Celtic eg) where international rights can eclipse home interest. Irish broadcasters pay nothing or little so obviously we have something to grumble about on this. I still think, irrsepctive of the change to one leg this season, home clubs should own the rights or to be properly fair and benefits as much as possible, it is a split - maybe vary the % split on a set of factors. Its odd arguing from the corner of SRFC finances but fair is fair and there isnt balance, even if every single person in Ireland were watching the respective 'markets' for rights are very different. Smells of FAI like bs!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 04/09/2020 at 9:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Should have been left to the home club to arrange but revenues split something like 30/70 in the club's favour. This would have still left it "fair" when a home club from a small market had a giant away team but the away team still took the lion's share of the revenue.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I see rte are covering the game on rte2 and rte player.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I see rte are covering the game on rte2 and rte player.
    Delighted to hear this. Never heard of the AC Milan mgrs name before. Hear Ibrahmovic may be injured any other big names playing with them as I havent seen them play in a long while?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Delighted to hear this. Never heard of the AC Milan mgrs name before. Hear Ibrahmovic may be injured any other big names playing with them as I havent seen them play in a long while?
    It's quite a young team, with lots of key players around 21-3. Some of these guys could wind up at even bigger clubs in a few years.

Gianluigi Donnarumma is a 21 year old keeper with something like 200 senior appearances for Milan and 18 caps for Italy. He's not the heir to Buffon's throne, he's already ascended to it. His big brother is their backup keeper.

I don't know if they intend to play him or use him as backup, but Brahim Díaz is a talented forward who's played for Man City and Real Madrid (who've just loaned him to Milan). He hasn't had many competitive games yet, but he's still 21, and clubs of that magnitude must see something interesting in him.

Their captain is Romagnoli, an Italian centre half. Still only 25, he's played a bit for the national team, and presumably will play more if Chiellini retires before drawing his pension.

Çalhanoğlu is a Turkish winger with an eye for a goal.

Paquetá is a young Brazilian attacking mid, who has about a dozen caps for Brazil.

Kessié is an Ivorean centre mid.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    So nothing to fear then for Rovers.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away