Page 49 of 81 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    What an insult to Giles who is anything but an eejit - Shame on you
    As a pundit he was an eejit, particularly in the later years it became fairly embarrassing for him.

Rovers fans obviously look on him as Pats fans look on Kerr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    On Pat Morley, he used a phrase in the broadcast along the lines of "he's a great baller". Honestly people laugh at the Healy-Raes for much less. Never mind what county he's from, what feckin planet is Morley from?

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Interesting if well travelled points-of-view from Dave Donnelly on extratime.ie

One aspect of his article:

Dundalk qualifying for the group stages and doing well could go a long way towards ensuring the League of Ireland keeps its three Europa League spots.
    https://www.extratime.com/articles/2...medium=twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Brian Gartland | Dundalk FC v KI Preview Dundalk FC centre-back Brian Gartland believes that the Lilywhites are ready to emulate their heroics from 2016.

5 minute video interview

https://twitter.com/DundalkFC/status...76758344749060

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Off the Ball interview with Filippo Giovagnoli

He continues to impress further with every interview I hear - grounded, assured, modest and extremely focused. He may have other things to prove about his abilities, but the indications are all very positive in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovjLXEnQOcc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Interesting if well travelled points-of-view from Dave Donnelly on extratime.ie

One aspect of his article:

Dundalk qualifying for the group stages and doing well could go a long way towards ensuring the League of Ireland keeps its three Europa League spots.
    https://www.extratime.com/articles/2...medium=twitter
    Except that all countries below 15th place will lose their Europa League spots anyway, as we're all being bumped down to the Europa Conference League.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Off the Ball interview with Filippo Giovagnoli

He continues to impress further with every interview I hear - grounded, assured, modest and extremely focused. He may have other things to prove about his abilities, but the indications are all very positive in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovjLXEnQOcc
    The ability to hold an interview has little to do with being a good manager, Giovagnoli has a massive job if he wants to get Dundalk back to where they where under Kenny, they lost several players that were key to that success. I'll reserve judgement until the end of next season when he has had a proper chance to put his mark on Dundalk
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Except that all countries below 15th place will lose their Europa League spots anyway, as we're all being bumped down to the Europa Conference League.
    Sure, but whether two or three teams qualify for the European Conference League is dependent on UEFA national co-efficient, the cut off point currently declared at Nation #50 / #51

Good result from League of Ireland clubs clearly has a benefit for all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Fillippo has been very fortunate with the games he has played
    Cobh, Shels , Andoran team , Draw with a poor Sheriff team and win on Penos (nice win for me on Paddy Power thankfully i backed DFC to qualify ) , side stepped the Rovers match and now a team from the Faroes for a place in the groups.

I hope Dundalk do the business tonight but all we know about him at this point is that he can overcome poor opposition with a team that could do that with a hatstand for a manager

I agree with EZ (did i write that ??? ) so far he talks a good game but the real test will come over the next few months

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    The ability to hold an interview has little to do with being a good manager,
    It looks like we agree on that - although a manager can convey lots about his personality and philosophies in interviews

Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Giovagnoli has a massive job if he wants to get Dundalk back to where they where under Kenny, they lost several players that were key to that success.I'll reserve judgement until the end of next season when he has had a proper chance to put his mark on Dundalk
    That's for sure if he gets the opportunity. There is 9 games minimum - 7 league games plus at least a EL playoff and FAI Cup to the end of the season. I suspect that he will need to make EL progress and/or FAI Cup success to be in the frame for next season.

Nevertheless I remain impressed by what he has to say in interviews

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Cobh, Shels , Andoran team , Draw with a poor Sheriff team and win on Penos (nice win for me on Paddy Power thankfully i backed DFC to qualify ) , side stepped the Rovers match and now a team from the Faroes for a place in the groups.

I hope Dundalk do the business tonight but all we know about him at this point is that he can overcome poor opposition with a team that could do that with a hatstand for a manager

I agree with EZ (did i write that ??? ) so far he talks a good game but the real test will come over the next few months
    Just like Rovers on Sunday evening, a team can only deal with the opposition that is put on front of them.

Its easy to be dismissive of the likes of Shelbourne (did they draw with Rovers last month?) or Sheriff (who had/have a higher UEFA ranking than any League of Ireland team).

Your admission that you know little about Filippo is fair enough, but as Napolean probably never actually said — 'I know he's a good general, but is he lucky?'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Bradley was in the paper this morning comparing AC Milan to the difficult draws they got against AIK and Brann, and that he expects it'll be easier to progress in the champions route next year.

AIK and Brann in the same bracket as Milan - really? Found it a very weird comment.

We've been blessed with the draws this year (even Celje were poor, though Sheriff were a step up from them). But it's almost certainly a one-off season in terms of luck.

Not sure what type of team Bradley is expecting to face next year. Brann hardly had any European experience, it was a good draw for them. They scraped by a poor Finnish team this year. It just came across as talking down our achievement of making the EL groups if we do it again. I'm not sure why he was even quoted in a preview piece for tonight, but anyway. Strange comment.

Tonight could be a very dangerous game. A defeat might be very difficult to recover from, in every aspect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    He would have been doing Press around the Sligo match tomorrow night and was probably asked about Europe in general.

The champions path is the only realistic way to Group stages anymore and with a favorable draw is very realistic, hence the original Peak6 investment.

Assuming DFC make the groups but lose every match (worst case obv) they will get 2m more Euro money than last year (when they lost 1.2m) so they should make a profit of 1m + this year.
    Will Peak6 go again with Groups unlikely next year in the hope they can win the title back?? I would be shocked if they didn't to be honest but if DFC lose tonight the decision could be different.
    We have all (bar Pineapple Stu )been shaking buckets at different points over the years so only the really embittered would wish for that, as Lillywhite said "defeat would be difficult to recover from in every way"

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    On a side note actually, I presume group stage qualification would bigly impact the Solidarity fee clubs receive? Haven't heard anything about it this time (though it was mentioned when Dundalk were playing Legia - albeit bigger figures of course)

It is one of those games though where, much and all as you do want to see Dundalk qualify (and let's not have a couple of objectionable fans get in the way of that), it would be cool to see a team from the Faroes in the group stages.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

It is one of those games though where, much and all as you do want to see Dundalk qualify (and let's not have a couple of objectionable fans get in the way of that), it would be cool to see a team from the Faroes in the group stages.
    😁😁😁Tell us how you really feel stu!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    To paraphrase a wise sage - at European time, fans of LoI clubs come together to support each other, and I'm happy to get on board with that. But I'll happily mock if Dundalk lose - so it's win-win for me really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post

Agreed to an extent and modest oppostion, one being a FD club, but fact still remains, this season DFC had 3 away euro games in a row, and he has had 2 and come through both. Look I get the point, but still think not enough made of still 3 away trips in europe in a row before tonight, and all the travel issues that currently go with covid etc.

Now on tonight, absolutely we are fortunate to be in the position later to qualify in the Aviva against a Faores side, thats not up for argument. You only have to look at the all of the other ties this evening, big hitters in most of them, besides we should really be playing Slovan Bratislva tonight, only for their 0-3 covid walkover, so another fortunate route, but we'll take it.

Hopefully we can do it, but anything can happen in 90 mins, any sort of win will do for me, dont care about the performance.
    Last edited by oriel; 01/10/2020 at 12:54 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    To paraphrase a wise sage - at European time, fans of LoI clubs come together to support each other, and I'm happy to get on board with that. But I'll happily mock if Dundalk lose - so it's win-win for me really
    Plagiarism

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The Klaksvik secondary schools, kindergartens, emptied out this morning and all the kids marched in class groups to the local stadium and sung the KI anthem, streamed live to the team in the Dublin hotel.

I suppose it would be in poor taste to tell them 'Look, it's only Dundalk'.

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I will be keeping everything crossed tonight but surely the 6-1 defeat of Tiblisi would make KI strong favourites? No LOI team has ever recorded a result close to that

Page 49 of 81 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast