Page 53 of 81 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Andorra & the Faroes.. I can only pray to the god I don't believe in that Rovers get a similar draw next year when we are in this European route.
    The financial wolf is away from the door for a couple of years in Dundalk anyway.
    Plenty of money for the owners to spend on randommers found on ESPN. And danny grant from boez.
    I stopped watching the game at half time, but 3:1 is a comprehensive sounding score so we'll done to all involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Ah PC, the old insult sandwich routine and jealousy driven resentment lives on in you - I thought you had been softening recently but now it seems it was fleeting as you thought nothing could eclipse Rovers title charge. Enjoy the draw today!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    And here's me thinking I was being nice😁😁😁.
    Just a bit of good natured ribbing at your luck, but no malice or jealously intended.
    Hope the draw goes well for you boys today, and see you in the cup final, maybe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The good fortune in the draw will be forgotten and wont be remembered in a couple of years time.
    I am delighted for DFC, the extra 2 or 3 million more euro money compared to last year will put the into a profit for this year of 1+ million and means the Peak6 guys will hang around (surely).
    Next year will be exciting , Bohs with their new found riches, DFC being DFC and Rovers provided we don't f it up in the Champions path next year with a good shot at group stages , especially if EL2 gos ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    I guess this will really show if Peak 6 can put their money where their mouth is. Didn't they suggest it would take another group stage qualification to be able to improve the spectator facilities at Oriel Park?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I guess this will really show if Peak 6 can put their money where their mouth is. Didn't they suggest it would take another group stage qualification to be able to improve the spectator facilities at Oriel Park?
    The losses this year on covid will give cover for them not doing anything there.
    The ECL path next year is a tough ask and for a lot less money than the Champions path at every stage.
    Winning a first round match next year and going out in the second or even third will get euro money of around 550 -800k (1 win or 2) compared to the 1m plus they got last year (and booked a 1.2m loss)
    It is this fact why last night was so important imo without the injection losses this year would have been probably 2m and they would have been looking at something similar next year.
    Maybe they would have stayed anyway but at least now they can look at a modest profit over 2019/2020 and have some cash towards next years budget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Brian Kerr didn't mice his words about Dundalk on Off the Ball this morning. No great shakes, low quality play during most of the match last night, got the easiest draw possible, and their stadium is an embarrasment. To be fair, at least some of those things are somewhat true. Right now, today, it doesn;t matter too much, with the draw coming shortly. But it was interesting that he didn't go with a more congratulatory tone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Brian Kerr didn't mice his words about Dundalk on Off the Ball this morning. No great shakes, low quality play during most of the match last night, got the easiest draw possible, and their stadium is an embarrasment. To be fair, at least some of those things are somewhat true. Right now, today, it doesn;t matter too much, with the draw coming shortly. But it was interesting that he didn't go with a more congratulatory tone.
    Usual bitterness from the eejit

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    I’m a fan of Kerr myself but prone to Grumpy Old Man syndrome occasionally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    he was at it on OTB last night too. less than 30mins after Dundalk had qualified for the group stages he was questioning if they would even get a point in the group stages, grandstanding about the poor opposition Dundalk only had to beat etc. It was quite pathetic coming from a man that purports to care so much about Irish football.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Brian Kerr didn't mice his words about Dundalk on Off the Ball this morning. No great shakes, low quality play during most of the match last night, got the easiest draw possible, and their stadium is an embarrasment. To be fair, at least some of those things are somewhat true.
    I think they're all true (as is placid casual's post - maybe he's Brian Kerr? )

But today's not the day for it. Well done Dundalk; you can only beat what's in front of you, and there's some interesting ties which all the rest of us would like coming up in front of ye shortly!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Arsenal
    Rapid vienna
    Molde
    Dundalk

Couldn't have asked for a better draw. 1 big big team and then one or two possible games with decent results.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Great draw for Dundalk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Group B; Molde, Rapid Vienna and Arsenal for Dundalk. Shamrock Rovers beat Molde a year or two ago, so should give Dundalk some confidence there. Rapid Vienna will be a big challenge though. The Austrian League is no joke and Man United had a tough enough game against Linz a few months ago. Arsenal the obvious glamour game there. Could have been much worse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Group B; Molde, Rapid Vienna and Arsenal for Dundalk. Shamrock Rovers beat Molde a year or two ago, so should give Dundalk some confidence there. Rapid Vienna will be a big challenge though. The Austrian League is no joke and Man United had a tough enough game against Linz a few months ago. Arsenal the obvious glamour game there. Could have been much worse!
    Sligo Rovers beat them over there a while back but lost in Sligo after. Shamrock Rovers havn't played them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers beat Molde a year or two ago, so should give Dundalk some confidence there.
    No they didn't - are you thinking of Brann?

Molde are Norwegian champions, so that's a tough draw in the EL.

Dundalk will be doing well to get a point out of that to be quite honest, but sure **** it; the alternative was losing to Andorran/Faroese teams.

Obviously the fans are the big losers here - three great away venues if travel were allowed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Sligo Rovers beat them over there a while back but lost in Sligo after. Shamrock Rovers havn't played them.
    Sligo beat Rosenborg away in 2014. They lost home and away to Molde in 2013 (1-0 and 2-0)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    And here's me thinking I was being nice.
    Just a bit of good natured ribbing at your luck, but no malice or jealously intended.
    Hope the draw goes well for you boys today, and see you in the cup final, maybe.
    Well yer no fun at all PC, I was looking forward to a slanging match! Bar Sheriff, not the force they were seemingly, I dont think anyone could say we didnt get the luck of the draw. Who'd have known that last years conquerers Slovan catching covid back in CLQR1 would be of benefit to us. That said, previous years we have tended to get a few mare draws. I still say that the turmoil about the club and team that it was still an achievement to get past 3 sides regardless. I'd say KI are kicking themselves in the way that we have against the likes of Slovan and Celje - could have done better, missed opportunity, played quite well but didnt do enough or werent clinical enough. They werent at all a bad side last night and the fine margins at this level were there eg Garts heading the ball off the line. We probably all have been there too. We should also be looking to beat mid-table Finnish sides easier considering that have never won in Europe, have damn all domestic success too, but Rovers got over the line in a mammoth peno shootout. Better against Milan but I dont think KI and Ives were miles apart in standard.

To properly build rankings we need to do more than in a champions pathway to progress. At least 2 sides pushing in to latter rounds should be an objective for the league - we havent been far off either with Derry taking things to et and Bohs to penos too (Fehraver went out on penos to french opposition for some context). Rovers through 1 round before a nightmare draw and Dundalk in to EL groups. Not sure anyone would have had that in predictions.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That was years ago when ole was in charge 7 years or so. Very different side.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    No they didn't - are you thinking of Brann?

Molde are Norwegian champions, so that's a tough draw in the EL.

Dundalk will be doing well to get a point out of that to be quite honest, but sure **** it; the alternative was losing to Andorran/Faroese teams.

Obviously the fans are the big losers here - three great away venues if travel were allowed.
    Yeah, sorry, was of course thinking of Brann

Page 53 of 81 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast