Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreRovers View Post
    It’s not ‘sadly standard practise’ (sic). RTE only have rights for island of Ireland so contractually it has to be blocked outside IOI.
    Do they always have the IoI rights? Was it shown in the North today? Watched it in Donegal myself this evening. The sheer randomness of the way things are geoblocked is bizarre.
    What's blocked on the Player may not be blocked on Sky and vice versa. (e.g. Big Week on the Farm is on now. It's blocked on the Player, available on Sky. Where's the rights issue there?). Not an problem in most of Derry City since you can just switch to a southern mobile network or get it through your TV aerial, but consistency would be nice all the same.

Match-wise, thought Celje were there for the taking. Dundalk struggling for goals is not what we're used to. The Americans will not be happy, hence Perth must be looking over his shoulder now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Looking like the end of an era for Dundalk.I reckon will have to build again and wouldn’t be sure if Perth is their man. When you look at tonight’s performance against some of their European games under Kenny it was night & day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Do they always have the IoI rights? Was it shown in the North today? Watched it in Donegal myself this evening. The sheer randomness of the way things are geoblocked is bizarre.
    What's blocked on the Player may not be blocked on Sky and vice versa. (e.g. Big Week on the Farm is on now. It's blocked on the Player, available on Sky. Where's the rights issue there?). Not an problem in most of Derry City since you can just switch to a southern mobile network or get it through your TV aerial, but consistency would be nice all the same.

Match-wise, thought Celje were there for the taking. Dundalk struggling for goals is not what we're used to. The Americans will not be happy, hence Perth must be looking over his shoulder now.
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/north...oblem-1589889/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Would dundalk supporters be happy to see vinnie sacked?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Very hard to take that defeat. You can talk about us being the better team and gifting them 3 goals, but I don't accept that nonsense. If you don't take your chances and you defend like that, you deserve what you get. Gartland has cost us so much in Europe.

Our performance may have looked better than what we've been doing in the league but you have to take into account the opposition too. Celje were dreadful. I'd be shocked if Molde don't hammer them next week.

We've just lost 3-0 to easily the worst team we've played in Europe over the past 10 years, maybe except for the Luxembourg side in 2014. It's an embarrassing result, and at the end of the day all that matters is the result, not what happened during the game. Even then what did we create? Duffy had a great chance and Hoban's header, that's about it.

The bottom line is we've been hammered. And now we'll no doubt have to listen to Perth trot out his "I must have run over a black cat" line along with the usual excuses. Enough of the BS.

There are no excuses. We're spending over 60k a week running the club, paying out huge wages on this squad, for this rubbish in return.

Something is seriously wrong in the club. Certainly the end of an era, which we probably knew anyway, but that's a shocking way to bow out of what will be our last CL campaign for a while.

The owners will be angry tonight and I expect Perth to be sacked tomorrow. If their aim is progress in Europe, he has demonstrated in European games alone that he isn't up to it. 7 games, 0 wins, with 3 heavy beatings from the 4 ties.

He has to go and let someone else have a go at the EL tie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Not saying this cos vinnie is from Tallaght but I can't believe u would sack him. He won a treble last year and almost everything if Kelly's shot had sneaked in in the cup final. Bradser has built a team with on the basis of the last accounts 50% of dundalks budget but if the board had listened to fans he would have been sacked 18 months ago.
    Careful what u wish for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    From listening to his interview on the club twitter and reading his piece on RTE, I'd say he knows what's coming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    So if Cleary had scored instead of hitting t ghe bar against Waterford and Hoban had scored instead of hitting the post tonight he is safe and doing a good job? Fine margins to be sacking a treble winner

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Not saying this cos vinnie is from Tallaght but I can't believe u would sack him. He won a treble last year and almost everything if Kelly's shot had sneaked in in the cup final. Bradser has built a team with on the basis of the last accounts 50% of dundalks budget but if the board had listened to fans he would have been sacked 18 months ago.
    Careful what u wish for.
    I reckon I'd probably have won the league last year if I'd inherited the team that Perth did. And I don't even play Football Manager.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    So if Cleary had scored instead of hitting t ghe bar against Waterford and Hoban had scored instead of hitting the post tonight he is safe and doing a good job? Fine margins to be sacking a treble winner
    What treble? Don't mention Unite the Union Cup! His management also cost us a possible FAI Cup with the Shields suspension mess. Would not have happened under Kenny.

Ah come on. If you want to go down that road, if Waterford didn't get a man sent off, we would have lost 2-0. We didn't deserve anything from that game.

Performances since the restart have been dreadful.

Europe was always the main aim with the owners. Perth has delivered 0 wins from 7 games in 2 seasons. We're third in the league, almost at the halfway stage, and if performances/results continue as is, we'll miss out on European qualification altogether.

How long do you wait to pull the plug on him? Away to Sligo and away to Derry next, and away to Cobh in the Cup in between. I wouldn't trust him to get any wins from those.

You have to look at where we are as a club at the minute. It's not like maybe in 2010 or 2014 where a win in Europe was a bonus and third in the league would be acceptable. If that was the case and we were operating on a budget like we were then, then fine, keep Perth. The club budget is over €60,000 a week ffs and he's serving up this rubbish.

Anyway, he's gone after tonight.

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The thing is this team have been past it a while in European terms. Kennys last game was that larnaca away wasn't it? 4-0 and the defensive line hadn't changed massively since then bar getting Boyle back in. They shipped a couple of silly goals in that game too, same people making the same mistakes. Granted it was very hot and larnaca were a step above this team but they were also out of season.

Perth did have a couple of seasons to turn it around though sadly he brought in players in positions where they are already strong and gave strength in depth.

They'll do well to hold onto colovic too especially if the yanks decide they've had enough. Sacking Perth now though before their Europa League campaign ends doesn't make sense if he can keep them in the hunt for Europe at home

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I reckon I'd probably have won the league last year if I'd inherited the team that Perth did. And I don't even play Football Manager.
    Dont ! it’s hours of your life down the toilet, and that’s from experience. Read about the game , watch documentary’s , watch old games etc instead.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    So if vinnie gets sacked in the morning is gill or Reynolds the answer? I don't see it and gill is just as culpable as vinnie anyway. If Reynolds is the answer then he has been hiding his tactical nous under a bush to this point

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Absolutely pathetic from Dundalk to be fair. Toothless. Amateur hour. Year after year, INDIVIDUAL comedy show, car crash in slow motion MISTAKES are one of the main reasons LOI clubs don't qualify for group stages in general. Absolutely embarrassing stuff. That kind of performance harkened back to the dark days of the 90's.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Poor performance and even worse result from Dundalk tonight. Ridiculous that they shipped 3 goals unanswered to that lot.

Dundalk dominated the game overall, and had large periods of passing control of the ball. But what was really telling was how few chances on goal that converted into. I don't know why they didn't try to test their keeper more from distance - especially as the clock ticked on, and trying to play through their defence wasn't yielding much in terms of genuine efforts.

No chance of Dundalk winning the league this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The biggest problem Dundalk face is not Vinny it is maths.
    Last year they lost 2 million, unless they go on an unexpected run and make Europa group stages this year it is likely to be more given bigger squad and no gate receipts plus players paid 100% through pandemic.
    If either Rovers or Bohs win the league i'm not ruling Dundalk out just painting a picture as last year they came back from Europe and won 10 or 12 in a row if I remember right but if they don't win the league then next years loss is more like 3 million plus (Europa money at least a million less than CL)
    Will the Americans fund 3m next year in the hope that the following year IF they win the League and If they get group stages the following year (another 2m loss if they dont) then the 5 or 6 m from group stages will wipe out the previous two years losses...
    If Peak 6 keep the show on the road at the end of the year if they don't win the league then nobody can question their commitment from then on.
    But can you really spend 60k a week running a club in Ireland if you are only maybe going to win the league....the business model was dominate and win the league every year.
    I suspect they will either double down and increase investment to try to guarantee success or let all the out of contract players leave and try to work off a lot lower budget.
    Could go either way but in a global pandemic its hard to justify haing a crapshoot throw of the dice.....on the other hand maybe it is chump change to these guys that just looks like a lot of money to us here

anyhoo I still wouldn't sack Vinnie and the world will look very different if Rovers lose at home to bohs and away to Dundalk and Dundalk win their next 4.
    Vinnie will be a genius and Dundalk will probably win the league from there.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 20/08/2020 at 1:12 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Time to start the rebuild. Need to get players that will strenghten the weak areas and look at how they play from midfield. Still in Europe, halfway through a shortened season, now is not the time to change the boss.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    It appears, from the outside, that the whole management structure on the sidelines is a bit of a €hitshow- how many chefs are in that kitchen!?
    Added to that is a poor recruitment policy, and a reliance on old warhorse to get them through games. It has to be said, but there has been a certain arrogance on dundalk part that "this will be enough, this will do" - well that's blown up their face now, and if they're not careful they'll be down scrapping with sligo and cork next season.
    perth is way out of his depth. A double act of Long and Croly would seem the next course of action, in my view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Looking like the end of an era for Dundalk.I reckon will have to build again and wouldn’t be sure if Perth is their man. When you look at tonight’s performance against some of their European games under Kenny it was night & day.
    Certainly compared to 2016, but that was a top class MF of O'Donnell, Finn, Horgan, Benson. Its been declining in europe now for a few years, including a Kenny managed 4-0 defeat to Larnaca in 2018.

No point controlling a game for long periods in each half, then poor finishing the other end, and pub league defending. They took their chances we didn't including Duffy, Hoban and possibly Gartland in first half, the first two went in, diff story, but no getting away from the overall outcome, 3-0 was a disaster.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Really disappointing last night as a LOI fan always want our teams to win yes even that red and black lot. I hope the yanks keep backing the club we need as many strong clubs as possible.

Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast