Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I know this has happened in the USA and elements of it have happened in the UK, but are you suggesting that this is prevalent in League of Ireland?
    No, but if we let more groups like Peak 6 take control of clubs I'm suggesting it may start happening
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The proposal as pitched to the Press of giving the FAI/IRFU 20 or 30 million to takeover the running of the stadium for 5 years is a pretty legitimate proposal that it is hard to see why they would turn down.
    The utilization of the stadium is brutal and there is clearly scope for more events . Are there any planning issues that would limit usage a la Garth Brooks scenario that make it impractical i wonder.
    If there were no "strings" attached and the IRFU turned it down simply on principal then the Govt should be questioning why they are looking for a bail out when they are turning cash down

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You might be right. But then what are they here for? It's not to invest in Dundalk; they seem to have hardly put a penny in, to the extent that the 2019 accounts did indicate that this year was do or die for Dundalk in terms of Europe. Is it to try move players around and get money from transfer fees? But pretty much all the players they've brought in from outside the league have been flops. It's all a little bit weird really.
    That was my thinking from early on, use existing scouting networks they had access to and use Dundalk as part of their development, making money then on transfers. When the sold up at Bournemouth it didnt look so much like that. It'd be interesting to know what sort of 'deals' they have with player agents or if there is some attempt at gaining third party ownership type stuff. When you consider the sort of money that was getting thrown about in English football especially, it was bound to turn the heads of sports investment companies.

Maybe they do see this as a long term, slow burner investment, knowing that they are starting from a low cost base. In relative terms the level of money they use at Dundalk is tiny, and especially when they can use money mainly generated by the club from EL 2016 and now 2020. That they havent used the current world crisis as an opportunity to trim things like a LoI club could indicate longer term thinking. What their ultimate goal (making money and how)? well who knows as its speculation bar what they have said themselves - nobody really seems wants to take them at face value, or fears that they are a suspect bunch ready to twist the knife. Legitimate fear but again they really have just done everything as they said they would.

It is weird from the outside and we all have wondered what their minimum targets are or the point at which they are happy to carry on eg play-off round every couple of years. What would worry me most is that Peak6 are head of a consortium of investors, some of which I dont think are directly Peak6 like Jordan Gardner and Fred Spencer - do they have the patience and deep pockets to wait for a return on investment and what happens if they want out?

Just as plausible as any is what Gardner said at the very beginning, to build a squad that is capable of dominating domestically (in the top 2 for 7 years before and since P6, they might chalk this one off especially with EL run), regular progression in Europe (2 runs to groups stages in 4 years and progressing at least 1 QR 3 out of 4, within 2 years EL groups have been achieved), building a network to bring in players that may have been cast off by AFC Roma youths or the like with a view to creating value to either sell or improve the squad especially for Euope. If figures for ELC are any way decent they might stick around to see where thats is at. I dont think the club is where it can be or where P6 think it could be is business development terms. Their ownership is being looked at mainly on spectator facilities, now the wage bill. The wage bill is what they set so may not be overly worried, the club has been competative with this season pretty unique all round especially with the luck of the draw and single leg games in Europe. If they were working off a 5 year plan things are probably ahead of targets and possibly willing to suck up losses initially. They can move games when needed so they are not being pressed for capital development projects. Back to back years out of Europe and some revolving door managerial appointments the end will be nigh!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The proposal as pitched to the Press of giving the FAI/IRFU 20 or 30 million to takeover the running of the stadium for 5 years is a pretty legitimate proposal that it is hard to see why they would turn down.
    The utilization of the stadium is brutal and there is clearly scope for more events . Are there any planning issues that would limit usage a la Garth Brooks scenario that make it impractical i wonder.
    If there were no "strings" attached and the IRFU turned it down simply on principal then the Govt should be questioning why they are looking for a bail out when they are turning cash down
    That local residents got one stand reduced to a single level i'd say there's some tight agreement on the number of games and events caan be hosted. It could still be more active in non sporting events, Croke Park even has court sitting at the moment. The IRFU, in particular, up to now didnt need to develop use of the Aviva and the FAI were the FAI so its been lazy by those managing the stadium in general. It was tongue in cheek but I do wonder whether Bill was aware of restrictions on use which probably would make his head explode!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    My punt is that if Peak 6 did take over control of Lansdowne (which looks unlikely) then it wouldn't be long before they floated a 'Dublin Dons Part 2' idea.

I'd pretty much guarantee it in fact. They're talking about maximising the use of the stadium to increase revenue, which makes sense from a purely commercial point of view. The cheapest and easiest way to get more income out of an under-utilised sports stadium is to have a sports club based there permanently. Using it 25-35 times a year as a solid anchor tenant, including across the least appealing months for other uses like outdoor gigs etc.

You can just see a load of yanks thinking that Dublin should really have a team playing in the world's richest football league next door, and that they'd be the bright sparks who could make it happen. The Dundalk Dons, perhaps ?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I dont think you could rule anything like that out bar that they have said that wouldnt happen, whatever that is worth if it boiled down to money. I dont think they'd make the concept stick though, Dublin is already well carved up and Dundalk fans wouldnt travel to see Dundalk play domestically in Dublin. I'd hope that looking in to it would show that it wouldnt run or that it would take a generation to bed in at all so could cost them. If there is ever an actual European super league someone would float moving Cobh to Dublin.

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    My punt is that if Peak 6 did take over control of Lansdowne (which looks unlikely) then it wouldn't be long before they floated a 'Dublin Dons Part 2' idea.

I'd pretty much guarantee it in fact. They're talking about maximising the use of the stadium to increase revenue, which makes sense from a purely commercial point of view. The cheapest and easiest way to get more income out of an under-utilised sports stadium is to have a sports club based there permanently. Using it 25-35 times a year as a solid anchor tenant, including across the least appealing months for other uses like outdoor gigs etc.

You can just see a load of yanks thinking that Dublin should really have a team playing in the world's richest football league next door, and that they'd be the bright sparks who could make it happen. The Dundalk Dons, perhaps ?
    Absolutely. You just have to look at the NFL to see how American businessmen and franchise clubs think. NFL clubs have their home competitive games in London at the moment and the number is growing. This is in a league that has just 8 home games per season. Moving a club to a new city/ stadium is standard fare in America. There is a lot of talk of even having an NFL franchise in London soon.
    Last edited by redobit; 19/10/2020 at 3:56 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Dundalk are facing the AC Milan scenario Rovers faced big game and no fans which makes it very hard to monetize the games themselves apart entirely from the fact that it is really awful for us LOI fans in particular who live with our teams and have a real connection with our players to miss these nights.
    The TV rights are included in the prize money so no spin off there, (Rovers had none either).
    Basically win points to get more money(or qualify in our case which we didn't) and based on current form that is hard to see from DFC.

I won a decent amount betting on DFC to get through against Sheriff (Tx FG) but the bet for Thursday (sorry guys) is Molde -2 at 11/2 with PAddyPower.

I won't be putting big money on it so will still be happy enough to see DFC get a result but i cant help thinking this was the wrong year for them to qualify both from their own perspective and the leagues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    My hope lies that these games are all free hits compared to nervous nature of expecting to beat Andorran and Faroese teams. So have kind of already exceeded beyond expectations this season getting to the groups. It's obviously important to qualify for Europe next season but then grab a few points and you are not miles off getting income that could be comparative to 2021 European participation if we did miss out. Humiliation will be bad all round v Arsenal eg. Other games it will be interesting to see if temptation to sit deep at all comes in to it. FG must still be pinching himself groing from a youth coach in New York to being on the sideline against Arsenal at The Emirates. It could be a bit like the cup run break, where players throw off the pressures of a league campaign, damn all to lose, bonuses to be won, and play with a sense of freedom that hasnt been there this season....I live in hope rather than fear at this stage!

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    If there is to be a shock result, next Thursday is the most probable. I would not put the mortgage money on it, but it is far from impossible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    If there is to be a shock result, next Thursday is the most probable. I would not put the mortgage money on it, but it is far from impossible
    As in the Molde or Arsenal game? Molde like Dundalk have been poor in the League but are finding a bit of form lately. I actually think Dundalk play better in Tallaght than the Aviva and of the 6 fixtures, I rate this match the ‘easiest’ of the 6. I would not be surprised in the slightest if this finishes 1-1.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I saw Lillestrom Molde play in Norway last year. Molde won 2-0 but I didn't think the standard of the game was hugely ahead of LOI level. Dundalk might sneak it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Absolutely. You just have to look at the NFL to see how American businessmen and franchise clubs think. NFL clubs have their home competitive games in London at the moment and the number is growing. This is in a league that has just 8 home games per season. Moving a club to a new city/ stadium is standard fare in America. There is a lot of talk of even having an NFL franchise in London soon.
    It's more than talk - it's a fairly solid plan. It was factored into the design of Spurs' new stadium. The proposal was that the Jacksonville Jaguars, who have relatively little support, would move over. That's why the number of NFL games in London has been slowly increasing over time - to test if the commercial appeal was enough to last across a regular season rather than just the occasional game. And that's why Jacksonville have featured in a number of the games.

Covid will have set this all back a bit, but I would still expect to see an NFL 'franchise' in London within the next 10years unless something unexpected happens to unravel that plan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Is any tv channel covering this. Eir perhaps?
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Virgin Media 2 are showing all of the Dundalk games.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Virgin are showing game pateen!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Are Dundalk playing out of Tallaght for these games still?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Are Dundalk playing out of Tallaght for these games still?
    Well it’s Tallaght for this one. Your guess is as good as mine as to where the other two will be.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Tallaght for Molde game, Aviva for the other two.

BT Sports 1 also showing the game on Thursday, and I`d imagine all 6 DFC games if they are showing the Molde one.

This is probably the best chance to win a game, but Molde will still be favourites in the betting. The form has improved at least, Derry was was probably best performance since Covid in the league, and probably in good position to finish 3rd now, so at least some of that pressure is off.

Hard to call this one, not sure Molde will be that much better than Sheriff Tiraspol, and we were 3/1 to win that game, so maybe a chance on Thursday, who knows.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    BT Sports 1 also showing the game on Thursday, and I`d imagine all 6 DFC games if they are showing the Molde one.
    Possibly only showing this one as it's in the early kick off window. They'll show the Arsenal ones too, but I would guess the others might be on their BT Sports Extra channels.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Page 62 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast