Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Showgrounds - Outdoor Museum

  1. #1
    First Team
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    198
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    252
    Thanked in
    170 Posts

    Showgrounds - Outdoor Museum



    Virtual tour of the new Sligo Rovers Outdoor Museum in The Showgrounds.



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ75CCmWOis
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

  2. #2
    Reserves Bucket's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2020
    Posts
    329
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Nice work. The Showgrounds is a fantastic facility. A covered terrace at the carpark end would be superb. Is there a grass training pitch beside the astro?

  3. #3
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    387
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    133
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    87
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Looks fantastic. Would like to see more clubs create something similar. A great tool for old and new fans to learn more about the history of their club and it wouldn’t cost a huge amount to do so either

  4. #4
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,670
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,182
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,068
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Thats really is a superb job!! Good to see some Peace4 funding involved and accessed.

    I like what Bohs try to do with Dalymount with the funky graffiti and all, but this by Sligo does so much on so many levels with the tributes, memorials, the multi-cultural history, celebrating community, linking the old to the new generations of fans and of course simply utilising wasted and possibly ugly spaces and turning them in to an asset and promotion of the club. I'd love to see Sligo move this beyond The Showgrounds and in to the town and broaden the (historical) presence and contribution to the locality. I can see business wanting to have infographics at their premises as they grab peoples attention. What is the section of plaques? You often see them as part of fundraising for ground developments eg financial contributors get their names incorporated in a section of a build.

    It really shows up Oriel Park (I know I know) on some very basics (and Im not suggesting that this Sligo museum is at all basic in its conception and delivery) but paint, info and pictorial boards could really improve the impression of some areas in Oriel and other grounds too. Around the town in general there are historical plaques and pictures hung on sign and lamp posts. Dundalk Town Council should have DFC related stuff on the approaches to Oriel Park on the Carrick Road. The corridor under the main stand in Oriel used to have European match night programmes framed and hung and for visitors to the club, especially from England, they were speechless at the teams involved particularly when their own clubs have no hope of ever hosting a PSV, Porto, Red Star et al.

  5. #5
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,740
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,875
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,507
    Thanked in
    2,051 Posts
    Had a look at some of the stuff down the back of the stand last year. It's very impressive. A nice walk down memory lane, I'm sure, for most Sligo supporters. I enjoyed reading a lot of the pieces myself.

    Showgrounds has come an awful long way from the ground I'd have first went to about twenty years ago. It's a great credit to all at the club who have done the work behind the scenes to pay for it.

    Agree a fourth stand at the carpark end similar to the railway end would be the cherry on top.

  6. #6
    First Team Nah Nah Nah Nah's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,390
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    570
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    583
    Thanked in
    336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Thats really is a superb job!! Good to see some Peace4 funding involved and accessed.

    I like what Bohs try to do with Dalymount with the funky graffiti and all, but this by Sligo does so much on so many levels with the tributes, memorials, the multi-cultural history, celebrating community, linking the old to the new generations of fans and of course simply utilising wasted and possibly ugly spaces and turning them in to an asset and promotion of the club. I'd love to see Sligo move this beyond The Showgrounds and in to the town and broaden the (historical) presence and contribution to the locality. I can see business wanting to have infographics at their premises as they grab peoples attention. What is the section of plaques? You often see them as part of fundraising for ground developments eg financial contributors get their names incorporated in a section of a build.

    It really shows up Oriel Park (I know I know) on some very basics (and Im not suggesting that this Sligo museum is at all basic in its conception and delivery) but paint, info and pictorial boards could really improve the impression of some areas in Oriel and other grounds too. Around the town in general there are historical plaques and pictures hung on sign and lamp posts. Dundalk Town Council should have DFC related stuff on the approaches to Oriel Park on the Carrick Road. The corridor under the main stand in Oriel used to have European match night programmes framed and hung and for visitors to the club, especially from England, they were speechless at the teams involved particularly when their own clubs have no hope of ever hosting a PSV, Porto, Red Star et al.
    https://www.sligorovers.com/the-bit-o-red-wall/

  7. #7
    Seasoned Pro passinginterest's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tallaght
    Posts
    4,806
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    479
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    567
    Thanked in
    352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post


    Virtual tour of the new Sligo Rovers Outdoor Museum in The Showgrounds.



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ75CCmWOis
    That's brilliant to be fair. I think Sligo is often mentioned for being a true football town, with support beyond what might be expected, you always see it with the incredible fund raising efforts etc. The museum looks like a great tribute to the club and the community that supports it.

    Tallaght Stadium Regular

  8. #8
    Seasoned Pro oriel's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Border
    Posts
    3,746
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    583
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    420
    Thanked in
    322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Thats really is a superb job!! Good to see some Peace4 funding involved and accessed.

    I like what Bohs try to do with Dalymount with the funky graffiti and all, but this by Sligo does so much on so many levels with the tributes, memorials, the multi-cultural history, celebrating community, linking the old to the new generations of fans and of course simply utilising wasted and possibly ugly spaces and turning them in to an asset and promotion of the club. I'd love to see Sligo move this beyond The Showgrounds and in to the town and broaden the (historical) presence and contribution to the locality. I can see business wanting to have infographics at their premises as they grab peoples attention. What is the section of plaques? You often see them as part of fundraising for ground developments eg financial contributors get their names incorporated in a section of a build.

    It really shows up Oriel Park (I know I know) on some very basics (and Im not suggesting that this Sligo museum is at all basic in its conception and delivery) but paint, info and pictorial boards could really improve the impression of some areas in Oriel and other grounds too. Around the town in general there are historical plaques and pictures hung on sign and lamp posts. Dundalk Town Council should have DFC related stuff on the approaches to Oriel Park on the Carrick Road. The corridor under the main stand in Oriel used to have European match night programmes framed and hung and for visitors to the club, especially from England, they were speechless at the teams involved particularly when their own clubs have no hope of ever hosting a PSV, Porto, Red Star et al.
    Dundalk had a full month exhibition a few years back in the Louth County Museum in the town, it was an outstanding display of old programmes, film clips shown from euro and league / cup winning games, kits from down the years and loads of other memorabilia. It took up the main part of the museum also.

    What Sligo have done is permanent though, and quite rightly needs to be commended, I think they also got a full grant to pay for most of it, they are one hell of a well run club.
    #DundalkFC - 5 titles in 6 years 2014-2019 / FAI CUP Winners 2020

  9. #9
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    8,792
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,135
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    604
    Thanked in
    511 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk had a full month exhibition a few years back in the Louth County Museum in the town, it was an outstanding display of old programmes, film clips shown from euro and league / cup winning games, kits from down the years and loads of other memorabilia. It took up the main part of the museum also.

    What Sligo have done is permanent though, and quite rightly needs to be commended, I think they also got a full grant to pay for most of it, they are one hell of a well run club.
    Sligo Rovers imo are the best run club in Ireland. You never hear Sligo Rovers get into financial difficulty in all my years supportin the loi.
    Daire Doyles red and black army

  10. #10
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,855
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,912
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,842
    Thanked in
    2,401 Posts
    You what?

    There was time they went looking for 100k to survive the next six weeks, and as soon as that was raised they immediately went looking for another 100k to get through the season. Fairly big one, that!

    (But in fairness, I think your comment is generally right)

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #11
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,638
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    652
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You what?

    There was time they went looking for 100k to survive the next six weeks, and as soon as that was raised they immediately went looking for another 100k to get through the season. Fairly big one, that!

    (But in fairness, I think your comment is generally right)
    sligo are the league of ireland equivelent of the farmers, always hard done by and in need of help and sympathy

  13. #12
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,109
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    139
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    81
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Agree that a small covered stand/terrace at car park end would really add to the Showgrounds. On a fine summers evening with a decent crowd in, it really is a lovely setting for a game, with the great views of the mountains in the surroundings. Can't wait to go back as had a good few enjoyable times there.

  14. #13
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,670
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,182
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,068
    Thanked in
    739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk had a full month exhibition a few years back in the Louth County Museum in the town, it was an outstanding display of old programmes, film clips shown from euro and league / cup winning games, kits from down the years and loads of other memorabilia. It took up the main part of the museum also.

    What Sligo have done is permanent though, and quite rightly needs to be commended, I think they also got a full grant to pay for most of it, they are one hell of a well run club.
    It was a good exhibition with Jim Murphy (RiP) having the leg work done in a manner that only he really could do - such a loss but what an historical legacy he has left us! As a temporary exhibit anything not loaned will disappear in to storage which is a pity as some of it, particularly the infographic boards could be mounted in Oriel Park/YDC. It was the 2nd DFC exhibition in the museum and very different times indeed with the 1st one in 1995 or so. It was the first time I had seen any reasonable footage of Celtic v Dundalk in 1979 and I havent seen it since either. I did dig through the stores looking for that tape (it included a lot of old footage of European nights mainly from Pathé) but it seems the tape had been loaned and was never returned much to my regret. Other stuff did crop up though, one item being a letter from Dundalk FC (colours White jerseys and blue knicks) from late 30's asking creditors to defer payments after a poor season and a fall in gate receipts - late 90's it was very much the more things change the more things stay the same. Hopefully in another 20 years or so there will be another exhibit and have added plenty more silverware!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 06/02/2021 at 5:07 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17/03/2020, 7:02 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16/03/2020, 7:00 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13/03/2019, 1:42 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12/03/2019, 1:40 PM
  5. Showgrounds help
    By RGMY in forum Sligo Rovers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24/09/2009, 9:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •