Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 46 of 81 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I don't share your pessimism Nesta! A lot depends on how FG decides to approach this match. If he picks a first choice team and goes for it, then it should be a cracker (although he has plenty of choice as the squad is hardly small). It's also a test of character for Rovers, although i'ts really a free shot for them - even a defeat for them will have little impact on their title challenge.

That all said, we have bigger fish to fry and need to prioritise Thursday's match
    I'd expect him to play a bit of a mixture. When was the last time we were 6/1 at home?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Did you just read the first line of my post? As I mentioned the €260k solidarity payment in the next line! We don't get that if we make the EL groups (it's a payment for not making either UEFA group stage).

If we lose on Thursday we end up with a pot of almost €1.4m (€820k + €560k) but currently we've banked €820k. We get the €560k only if we lose on Thursday.

That €560k figure disappears if we win and we get the €2.92m payment for the group stage, bringing our total winnings to €3.7m.
    Actually, it seems we both might be wrong, I think the €2.92 payment, IF we win on Thursday is just the base figure for EL group qualification and this would be in addition to monies already won.

EDIT - I did indeed miss your line on the €260k solidarity payment
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Ah would you stop. I certainly don't think there was anything in that match which justifies anyone saying "Dundalk should have won it in 90". What article said that - the Dundalk website or the Democrat? Plenty here have said Dundalk weren't great as well. They were better than against Celje, yes, but the shyness in front of goal was still there.

Yes, Rogers didn't have a serious save to make - but then I'm not suggesting Sheriff should have won it in 90. As I said, I thought it was a poor match between two poor teams.

Like, I get that watching the game as a Dundalk fan is a different experience from watching the game as a neutral - especially when the result probably means the lights get kept on for another couple of years. And it was a great result - I've said that before. But let's leave out the shocked uproar whenever someone suggests that the performance wasn't much. A bit of objectivity can't hurt.
    Still do not agree, and I am the first to be critical on poor DFC performances, for example loads saying the result v Slovenian side was 'never a 3-0 defeat', yes it was we looked terrible on most occasions they attacked.

Contrast that to Sheriff game, Dundalk were clearly the better side for most of the first half, passing and moving better from 15 mins on, and finished far stronger. The second half wasn't too good to watch, only a few decent moves by Dlk, and to be fair they had some dangerous attacks, but neither GK was seriously tested in that second period.

Dundalk still to hit the previous seasons euro consistency, but last Thurs was certainly one of the better performances, with obv more improvement needed.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Still do not agree
    I'm not asking you to agree. I still don't agree with your post either. Which is fine.

All I'm really asking is that a comment of "Dundalk weren't great" is met with a bit of debate rather than just offended incredulousness.

What articles did you read saying Dundalk deserved to win over 90 btw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Actually, it seems we both might be wrong, I think the €2.92 payment, IF we win on Thursday is just the base figure for EL group qualification and this would be in addition to monies already won.

EDIT - I did indeed miss your line on the €260k solidarity payment
    The €2.92m would be in addition to the money already won (€820k) yep, so €3.7m in total.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    The performance was with the context for recent form. If we had performed like Thurday against any of the likes of Alkmarr, St Petersburg, even KR well we'd unlikely to have pushed them too much. This was a classic example of a team that was low in convidence and then started to realise the rep of who they were playing wasnt all that much. We then after the rocky start settled in and did was needed without being spectacular. There seems a bit of a steeliness in not self imploding, passed the ball pretty well and at a bit more pace than we have seen this season. Hoban may not have excelled up front but he certainly made a nuisance of himself, tracked deep, played out of tight situations and kept possession. I though the Kelly chance was heading in 2nd half but was at the keeper. A few cutbacks that would have been great chances if players were running from deep - A bit more composure with the cutback and midfield gambling more too and getting in to the box. Im not convinced the keeper was fouled for Sloggets goal, and more that he flapped and jumped in to Hoban. But playing well within ability and still progressing is a positive sign. We are rebuilding the ethos of how we play with new ideas/formations. Players were rotated too so the squad is being used better now so far. Obviously a work in progress but obvious progress is being made. Once again though, like v Inter, the expectation and pressure is back on us v KI irrrespective of how things might be actually as opposed to on paper playing a Farose side. The pressure is very much on that we should be supremely confident of winning and making the groups again. Not a forgone conclusion by any means. As a club with ambitions to compete in Europe this is a must win game!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 26/09/2020 at 3:48 PM.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I'm not asking you to agree. I still don't agree with your post either. Which is fine.

All I'm really asking is that a comment of "Dundalk weren't great" is met with a bit of debate rather than just offended incredulousness.

Christ, let it go with you, don't agree with me then, I think I`ll be ok with that.

Plenty of other reports and outside Dundalk would have provided the opinion that we deserved to win the game in 90.
    Last edited by oriel; 26/09/2020 at 2:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    No need for the huff giving you started by jumping down my throat here.

Show us one or two of these reports though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Football analysis is always subjective. Thursdays game had both teams on top for spells. On the balance of things we were better and that we went through, after conceding, is proof enough. It was workman like by Dundalk and did hold on to the ball better. Surprisingly Sherriff werent that composed in possession and rushed chances in the final third. But I think part of that was how we pressed the ball as well as we have done in a long time. Bot sides did have chances, and good ones, that on another night changes the outcome. At least there wasnt any element of good/bad luck, referrering decision or embaressing clanger that determined the result.

Anyone who'd enjoy a pop at Dundalk could have great fun by Thursday night considering the opportunity to make groups stages with a Faroese team up next. Sherriff seemed a bit like a free hit where a loss wouldnt have been a surprise. This week is a different story. Playing Rovers Sunday is as good a prep as there is imo.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 26/09/2020 at 2:57 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    FWIW, over the course of this I've generally found your analysis to be excellent Nesta

(Where "excellent" means "closely agreeing with what I think" of course )

I would argue though that the result itself was a draw, so that Dundalk went through doesn't necessarily show they were better. (Except at penalties. Which they were better at)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 26/09/2020 at 3:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I don't share your pessimism Nesta! A lot depends on how FG decides to approach this match. If he picks a first choice team and goes for it, then it should be a cracker (although he has plenty of choice as the squad is hardly small). It's also a test of character for Rovers, although i'ts really a free shot for them - even a defeat for them will have little impact on their title challenge.

That all said, we have bigger fish to fry and need to prioritise Thursday's match
    Your faith in the teams has been well founded so far so I hope you are right. I am still not sure whether players being rested (unless carrying knocks) is always the best. Its not like a Friday/Tuesday/Friday/Monday type schedule that we endured in the past. Shields will start Sunday with his suspension but its also an opportunity to get another player primed for playing his role for the Thursday.

Are groups stage games to be completed before Christmas? Or, if we beat KI, could we have the novelty of European football post Christmas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    FWIW, over the course of this I've generally found your analysis to be excellent Nesta

(Where "excellent" means "closely agreeing with what I think" of course )

I would argue though that the result itself was a draw, so that Dundalk went through doesn't necessarily show they were better. (Except at penalties. Which they were better at)
    There is no argument, the result of the match was a draw and a peno shootout was won by Dundalk. They were a cool set of penalties which is testament to players own individual self belief. Bar Hoare smashing down the middle, Im not sure than any of the other penos would have been stopped even if the keep went the right way.

Meh UCD are nothing but the leagues feeder club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Careful now you too, Nesta and PS, any more of this and it will be moving into 'get a room' territory !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Meh UCD are nothing but the leagues feeder club
    Usually the title winner's feeder club though.

And our feeding has changed lately

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Usually the title winner's feeder club though.

And our feeding has changed lately
    Always knew you weren't really biased against MY club, Stu.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Ha! I've had that there for years. I don't know how many clubs I've been accused of being biased against - Shels, Fingal, Bohs, Drogheda anyway. Dundalk now. Probably more. Probably Rovers at some stage. It's a standard response from an awful lot of fans - say something remotely negative about their club and rather than engage in discussion, they just accuse you of bias instead. I guess it's a foot.ie tradition at this stage.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    You left out Harps!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    That's just how biased against Harps I am - I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of a mention

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    You left out Harps!
    That’s Sbgawa’s Department... Ollie Horgan could Trip up the Opposing manager on the touchline and it would be “Great Tactical Awareness”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Sorry missed this, two random reports for you and there are probably more, back page of Sun Indo today, Eamonn Sweeney, and Alan Cawley on Game on - Fri, both said Dundalk deserved to win in 90 mins.

Page 46 of 81 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast