Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 75 of 81 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Hoare and Cleary had poor games I thought. Can't really blame Rogers for any of the goals though. While it's never nice to concede goals in Europe, at least the ones last night weren't served up on a platter for the opponents. Sure, more effective closing down might have reduced the threat, but they scored 2 absolute crackers to be fair to them. Duffy's the only one at Dundalk that could attempt that. Shields was magnificent, and McEleney was very effective in the 2nd half, both probably Dundalk's best players on the night. Trying not to be too hard, RW were much better than I had expected, but Dundalk were comfortably beaten in the end. Oduwa's about as good as a Mrs Brown's Boys episode. I wouldn't have him in next year's squad. Far too unreliable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    More bad selections by the manager. Gartland should have played over Hoare who was at fault for two goals, Murray for Sloggett and McMillan should have played for at least 75 mins, that's 3 in- form players and he didn't see. Taking McMillan off at HT was just madness, Odawu is useless, his limit is scoring tap ins like 4th goal v Bohs, Shields should have taken both.

D Kelly did well and especially McEleney, both made a diff esp the latter, Murray and Leahy on far too late.

Dundalk were outclassed in the end and of course can have no complaints with the result, its just the continuous self inflicted mistakes on and off the pitch that is the annoyance.
    Last edited by oriel; 27/11/2020 at 10:54 AM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Interesting thing with Oduwa is that for all that he traps the ball farther than I can kick it at times, he was directly involved in three of the four penalties against Rapid. That's not a bad return for what - 75 minutes on the pitch?

But he is a very frustrating player to watch alright. If he were 18, you'd say he had huge potential. But at 24, onto his ninth senior club, having been released by mutual consent from two of the most recent three, you'd have to start thinking he lacks a bit of professionalism maybe? The penalty last night is a point in case. I'd say he's just going to drift out of the game after a few more clubs.

There's been a fair few of these type of players in the LoI recently - I think Derry have had more than their fair share - and it does come back again on the Dundalk recruitment policy. If he does leave in pre-season, will they find better?

In the meantime, off to Molde next week. That'll bring back memories - Erling Haaland playing 30 minutes against a LoI U19 side without scoring

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    i would be amazed if Oduwa is there next season, cant score and doesn't track back plus probably on a biggish wedge to get him here to start with.
    If the first penelty had gone in it would have made a difference for sure, even at 3 to 1 i thought another goal and RV would be in full on panic mode.
    Did they have another gear ? probably yes as they showed in the first half but when panic sets in finding another gear is very hard to do.

The no crowds thing is a real killer, it could be years before any irish team gets to group stages again.
    To not be able to attend either as a DFC fan or a nuetral is a royal pain in the butt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Pretty sure he is under contrat for next season so he could be, but as Stu mentions he's had mutual consent to terminate contract. He is close to last chance saloon, and McElenys reaction to during the 2nd peno was to completely blank him - a bit more than just being annoyed by the first imo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Pretty sure he is under contrat for next season so he could be, but as Stu mentions he's had mutual consent to terminate contract. He is close to last chance saloon, and McElenys reaction to during the 2nd peno was to completely blank him - a bit more than just being annoyed by the first imo.
    I noticed him blanking him alright and id agree thats worse than mere annoyance, his lack of effort to help out the team defensively is unlikely to get him much leeway when he screws up the part of his job he is happy to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    This is interesting (robbed off twitter) - a comparison of the results in the last round of the Europa League against the expected score. Expected score (xG) is a calculation of how often you should expect various chances to be scored. Dundalk v Rapid has an expected score of 2.73 - 0.99 to Dundalk, but of course ended almost the reverse of that, 3-1 to Rapid. Which means (a) Dundalk really didn't take their chances (and the penalty miss would be a big part of that) and (b) Rapid were very clinical (or were their goals quite preventable?)

It's not how I felt the game went to be honest, although I guess Rapid probably eased up when they went 3-0 up (didn't get much of the second half)

Spurs not giving Ludogorets even a sniff at goal over 90 minutes is very impressive too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Actually, on the Infogol site, you can see the stats for Dundalk's other games. The 4-3 in Vienna had an expected score of 2.95-2.45 to Rapid (again I presume the two penalties for Dundalk scored quite high - 0.78 each I think), the 3-0 against Arsenal had an expected score of 3.25-0.13, and the game against Molde had an expected score of 1.52-0.40 to Molde (so 2-1 is close enough)

Overall then, Dundalk's expected goals tally is 5.71 (and they've scored 5 goals), and expected goals against tally is 8.71 (and they've conceded 12). On that basis - and Thursday's game skews it a lot - Dundalk's problem is at the back, not up front, curiously. (I say "curiously" - I know Dundalk's goalkeeping issues have been called out here, but there's routine talk at European time, including in this thread, of LoI sides not taking their chances in Europe, but it seems not to be the case too much from this small data sample)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 28/11/2020 at 10:54 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Spurs not giving Ludogorets even a sniff at goal over 90 minutes is very impressive too.
    Your fav team, they beat Basel here with one shot on target, just one shot!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd have thought 0.99 was pretty low for Rapid as the second goal was a free header from ten yards and the third was a shot from a very good position, plus they had a good few other chances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    50k is a huge fine for a LOI club. I’d love to know what was the previous largest fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    Didn't Pats get a huge one year for not having licensing ready or something else vague? 20+k in my head?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Didn't Dundalk get something similar for flying Palestine flags in the ground a couple of years ago?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    That was "only" 18k.

The Pats fine was around 2006-08 sort of time. Couldn't find anything with a quick Google though

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    50k is a huge fine for a LOI club. I’d love to know what was the previous largest fine.
    Or you could argue that it's fair, or even a little low, for transgressions in the Group Stages. As by then clubs are taking home millions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Didn't Dundalk get something similar for flying Palestine flags in the ground a couple of years ago?
    That was a hefty original fine bigger than this one but reduced on appeal with a portion suspened. Part was for the flag and part for people standing behind the town goal, Particularly annoying as it was anticipated, the person in question was asked to not produce the flag but it was left with them after it was copped. That stewards didnt move people quickly from their usual vantage point on the grassy knoll which was slack. Other annoying things about that was the inconsistancies between different UEFA delegates as other questionable flags at other grounds werent fined. I think Celtic played in Iceland and a Palestinian flags didnt recieve a fine. Whether it is true or not, a typical Dundalk rumour mill, the delegate was supposedly super fussy compared to previous games (and its was also said he was Isreali??!). The inconsistancies were part of the appeal and it worked. The Green Brigade section was closed in Celtic park the following year.

I suppose you can argue that fines are proportionate to prizemoney, but 50k is a far 'bigger' fine for any LoI club than the similar and meagre fines dished out for racial chanting to large national associations!! This is technical fine though rules are rules, but at times serious issues like rascism seemed to get a slap on the wrist. Maybe we should have given FG a hi viz bib and called him essential security...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    1nil down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quinn is a real mother Theresa , just before Molde scored their first he says "Dundalk are doing really well here" at that point they could already have been a couple down.
    Patronising stuff,
    Team picked tonight makes sense with the cup final on Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,195 Posts
    2-0 now.

Similar story unfortunately - no real composure in front of goal, and at the other end they're playing three centre-backs, yet they've given two free headers inside the six-yard box. Just can't get away with that. And they're not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    They have been shocking at the back for the 5 games. Not clinical enough either. That 2 on 1 prior to the 1st goal is a great example. Arsenal aside it is not the worst group they could have gotten. At least Rovers in 2011 were up against 3 very good sides.

Page 75 of 81 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast