Page 31 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I fully expect Dundalk to be in contention for group stages in the future - hopefully from 2022
    You reckon Dundalk will still be in contention when there's 16 fewer group spots, non-LoI champions don't get in at all, you have to win CL1 when unseeded (which didn't come close to happening this year) - and all this while the Dundalk Euro money is all gone?

It's like listening to Fintan Cassidy back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Great draw and a real chance of group stage football. We're still the best team in the country, and with Perth out of the way, there's no reason why we can't get through both ties.

Meanwhile Rovers players got what they wanted, Milan jerseys and selfies. Greene maybe should have concentrated more on his finishing than asking Zlatan for his jersey 5 minutes into the game.

Hopefully our game next Thursday is live on TV here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    We're still the best team in the country
    What do you base that on?

The league table?

4. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

The league table?
    Jesus some of the Dundalk 'fans' are here are clueless and trolls.

Fantastic performance by Rovers from the bits I seen at Half Time and Full Time of our game. Kept Milan awake and were a threat for 90 mins. Done the League a world of good for anyone who watched and wouldn't hold the league in a high regard.

Regarding us, decent win, should have been 2 or 3 up at HT. Ref ruined the second half, but Inter never looked like scoring and we had 1 or 2 chances.

Massive game next week, ironic that our worst season since 2012 and we have had the best European Draws of any year to date. No silly mistakes next week, hopefully Gannon plays with Hoare Centre Half, can't be having Cleary, he's been very bad this season.

On the other hand, Win next week and by the time we play again, we could be chasing Europe for 2021

6. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    This place is becoming worth a look again. So similar to 2010/2011, just switch the sligo lot for the dundalk lot and enjoy the meltdowns and delusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Not sure why anyone would be surprised at Gannon reacting like that. He’s been at that sort of stuff for years.
    Ah I cant agree with that!! If it were cheap or soft frees you were referring to itd be pointless to argue against in modern football. I dont recall Gannon ever seriously feigning a nothing injury as could be construed by the example above. Of many players he tends to get on with things after winning the free or not.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    We're still the best team in the country
    You're not even the best team in The Pale, FFS

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Poor Lilywhite, he got it bad...
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Poor Lilywhite, he got it bad...
    What would that be, arrogance, self importance, superiority complex, overstatement etc ....... like thats never been seen in LoI before!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

The league table?
    The last proper league table, maybe.

The Covid league table, no. Rovers will be the Covid league winners, fair enough.

Dundalk are clearly still the best side in the country.

How deluded people are over this current Rovers team is really hilarious.

Bopped about last night by a team strolling around and Rovers fans are creaming themselves over their performance. Lol.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    The last proper league table, maybe.
    That makes sense.

I often go to where I parked my car last year, not where it is now. Because clearly it was there last year.

And I don't wear a mask because covid clearly wasn't around last year.

I hear Man City are the clearly best team in England too.

Though in fairness, harking back to past glories may be something Dundalk have to used to, so no harm getting some practice in I guess.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Ah I cant agree with that!! If it were cheap or soft frees you were referring to itd be pointless to argue against in modern football. I dont recall Gannon ever seriously feigning a nothing injury as could be construed by the example above. Of many players he tends to get on with things after winning the free or not.
    He’s forever throwing himself to the ground trying to win frees etc. Far from the only player who does it but is always at it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Great draw and a real chance of group stage football. We're still the best team in the country, and with Perth out of the way, there's no reason why we can't get through both ties.

Meanwhile Rovers players got what they wanted, Milan jerseys and selfies. Greene maybe should have concentrated more on his finishing than asking Zlatan for his jersey 5 minutes into the game.

Hopefully our game next Thursday is live on TV here.
    Not sure what to make of all of this in bold.

1/ Perth was harshly treated as most DFC fans would agree to.
    2/ We are pale shadow of last years team, and are in 3rd position in the league on absolute merit.
    3/ We may have improved with 3 wins on the trot, but have to counter the opposition, FD (Cobh), Mid Table (Shels), Very Low ranked (Inter).
    4/ We are improving, but need to push on a serious level to finish second and to do better in europe.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    He’s forever throwing himself to the ground trying to win frees etc. Far from the only player who does it but is always at it.
    I wouldnt have singled Gannon out specifically tbh but in general ye cant argue against that perception, as aspect of the game now, like creating penalties!? But the example above would be pretty unique for Gannon. Kelly is prone to mistiming the manufacture of penalties and frees...

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Think the ref panicked when he saw some claret for the second one. Hard to see where he was caught and cant have been much as he was rubbing his loaf a good bit before he had enough on his hand to show the ref. 1st one the ball was at the back of the Inter players head so available to attack it, could have been sore but the ongoing meal meing made by Inter for every challange and then how dodgy they were in the tackle - it was getting very tetchy and it was effective in disrupting us. Dundalk players started to act up as Gannon did. Gannon got that free and I think the Inter player was booked then so as bad as it might look seems to have done the job also. Their centrehalf was flashing 2 invisible cards at the linesman and ref at another point and the ref duly obliged by booking McMillan I think. All a very strange night of football to watch. At least we have now had a timely reminder of such tactics used in Europe. Discipline v Sherriff will be important. I hope its Hoare is moved in to the middle with Gannon back at fullback now. There was some improvement from him Thursday night. Experience and just a hail mary hope that they have played in to resonable form or it could well be season over and a morale crushing tonking and its no Europe next season. Win and there might be some life left in us for the cup and capitalise on any league slip ups

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Discipline v Sherriff will be important. I hope its Hoare is moved in to the middle with Gannon back at fullback now. There was some improvement from him Thursday night. Experience and just a hail mary hope that they have played in to resonable form or it could well be season over and a morale crushing tonking and its no Europe next season. Win and there might be some life left in us for the cup and capitalise on any league slip ups
    I agree with point that you make on discipline, although here were none arising from Thursday evening - in fact quite the contrary, they acquitted themselves very well in he face of outrageous behaviour from Inter players and what was probably the worst referring performance I can recall seeing in an elite match.

This team have still to recover the form, swagger and belief that they have demonstrated previously and lead them to dominate LOI football over the last 6-7 year. They will go into next week's macth as underdogs, but only a fool would write them off. Co-efficient probably tells little, but the gap with Sheiff is modest (12.75 V 8.5) If Dinamo Tbilisa awaits the winners they are ranked even lower at 4.75.

Hail Mary hopes have never been part of the deal - this side has aspirations for something very different than a "crushing tonking" or "no Europe next year". I expect Europe fooball next season and would not be a all surprised to be taking on Dinamo Tbilisi for a place in the EL Group stages on 1 Oct

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Thats not a huge gap to bridge, and certainly the 2016-2018 teams would really fancy a stab at this. Betting is also not wide, Sheriff at 4/6, Dundalk at 7/2, problem is this is 2020 DFC, and form in August was just terrible.

Improved since, and should have been 3-0 up at HT v Inter but worry is all the missed chances that better teams would have taken, plus we won't get too many on Thursday.

Plus points, its a one off again, pressure will be on Sheriff and what a chance to make the group stages if we win, with a home draw, and probably v Tblisi who are lower ranked.

Will take a huge effort mind, and not sure the improvement has gone far enough to get past Sheriff, plus not too many away wins in europe against decent sides, but there is definitely a chance, stranger things have happened.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    You reckon Dundalk will still be in contention when there's 16 fewer group spots, non-LoI champions don't get in at all, you have to win CL1 when unseeded (which didn't come close to happening this year) - and all this while the Dundalk Euro money is all gone?

The possibility of group stages places are increased rather than reduced for Dundalk and other LOI clubs if all the proposed changes & additions to euro competitions come to fruition.

The circa €1m plus already guaranteed so far for Dundalk won' be any harm either

It's like listening to Fintan Cassidy back in the day.
    I'm not sure about Finatan Cassidy, but as Gary Rogers looks to exend his European clean sheet record nex week, I'm wondering if he was he chap who was laughably claiming Nial Corbet was the better goalkeeper? Or was tha you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    The possibility of group stages places are increased rather than reduced for Dundalk and other LOI clubs if all the proposed changes & additions to euro competitions come to fruition.
    You'll have to explain your reasoning for this to be honest.

Dundalk have a great chance of getting to the EL groups now - but the proposed changes mean that the defeat to Celje would have seen them bypass the EL entirely. So that's clearly not an increased possibility of the group stage.

Dundalk probably won't win the league this year (though that's far from certain yet), but if that happens, then again, the EL gets bypassed. So again, clearly not an increased possibility of the group stage.

And if the LoI champions do get through a round of the CL, then the path is roughly the same as at present, in that they have two EL rounds to get through.

So in two scenarios, it is in fact impossible to reach the EL groups, and in the third scenario, it is roughly the same. How does that lead to an increased likelihood of qualifying?

On Corbet - and I should note that that is one hell of a tangent you've gone off on; often the sign of someone looking to distract from the size of the whole they've dug themselves into, but anyhoo - but he's putting his Master's Degree from one of the top colleges in the country to good use in the real world of work. Absolutely had the potential to be as good as Rogers, but there's life and better jobs beyond football, and the latter shouldn't get in the way of the former.

But I think you knew that anyway.

Page 31 of 81 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast