Page 44 of 81 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Dundalk's co-efficient for 2021 now stands at 10.000 and will probably go higher.

Should mean they will be seeded for each of the first 3 qualifying rounds of the ECL if they don't win the league this year which looks unlikely.
    IF and a big IF they qualify for the group stages and were to win and draw a game or draw two games in the Group stages could they become seeded for the 4th round?

Its good that a team not dominating domestically() is getting this far, gives the other teams a chance to build their co-effs and have more teams performing at a decent level in Europe.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPXcyan View Post
    Dundalk would earn 2.92m if they qualify to the groups, adding to their 1.4m already earned, similar to 2016.
    I think we've banked €820,000 at this stage.

If we lose next Thursday we get an additional €300,000 along with €260,000 solidarity payment for not making either group stage, so that would bring it up to almost €1.4m.

But if we win we don't get that €560k, we get the base EL group stage €2.92m to add to the €820k, so in total €3.7m.

2016 was different as we reached the CL playoff round.

Think we made €7.1m in 2016 but when everything was taken out we banked about €3.3m.

The difference now though is Kenny won't be taking a giant bonus out of the winnings. I wonder if they even discussed such a bonus with Filippo when he was given the job.

The players got 40k each the last time. I'd hope that's considerably lower this time too, although they'd obviously deserve a nice one.

Think UEFA gave 40k travel expenses for each round, so that'll help with our 3 away ties so far.

No home crowds for the groups though and the Aviva will still probably be costly to open up.

Still a nice pot of cash on offer next Thursday.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...going-through/

is it fair to say that Irish managers/coaches are arrested by fear? The negativity of relatively/fairly successful managers domestically like Fenlon/Caufield/Perth seeping through to the players, a lack of trust leading to being unable to perform or get the results in Europe?
    In fairness, while those three did have frustrating Euro campaigns, I don't think you can say a penalty shoot-out win after a second uninspiring performance in a row is really sufficient data to conclude that foreign coaches = good.

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Congrats Dundalk. In fairness, very professional penalty shoot out by them. Happy for Rogers, as he gets some amount of stick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness, while those three did have frustrating Euro campaigns, I don't think you can say a penalty shoot-out win after a second uninspiring performance in a row is really sufficient data to conclude that foreign coaches = good.
    Sometimes you have to wonder.....

Dundalk went away from home to play a higher ranked team with some European pedirgree, conceded early, got back into the game, and looked more dangerous to win from then on in (apart from the end as tired legs set in).

It was a tight game, as there was so much on the line for a 1 legged tie... I have no idea why there is any negetivity put on that performance. Margins are so tight.

Fantastic stuff for Dundalk, and its good for the league of Ireland, as team in 3rd place in the league is still able to compete in Europe.... if only other LOI clubs could be as uninspiring as Dundalk in Europe.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Nice win for dundalk, and the promise of more to come. Entry into the group stages will surely halt the slide they were seemingly heading for.
    Sheriff were absolute gash, just their attitude alone stank of the bare minimum effort.Considering the next opponents they will be surely kicking themselves. Dundalk fully deserved to go through. Once they keep themselves grounded they should make the group stages now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    What was the story of Dinamo's 6-1 defeat? Seems extraordinary on the surface. Did they have to field a makeshift team for some reason (the pandemic presumably)?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Shane Keegan on OTB confirmed Shields suspended for next Thursday. Big blow.

Also confirms we'll play the reserves on Sunday v Rovers if it goes ahead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post

Dundalk went away from home to play a higher ranked team with some European pedirgree, conceded early, got back into the game, and looked more dangerous to win from then on in (apart from the end as tired legs set in).
    It's a valid argument alright. I think during the thread Sheriff were being called out as comically bad (I think that's a quote) at times, and yet for my money still looked the better team. Did Dundalk really threaten the keeper in 120 minutes aside from the goal? Sloggett played well (man-bun aside) but no-one else really stood out. I think the significance of the result - in a third round match, which gives Dundalk a play-off tie against a Faroese side lucky to still be in the competition - is biasing things slightly.

An excellent - and important - result, for sure. But I think there was still a lot of the recent pedestrian Euro Dundalk in the performance.

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I am not disagreeing with your point, I was merely pointing out the LOI Irish managers issues.

An excellent - and important - result, for sure. But I think there was still a lot of the recent pedestrian Euro Dundalk in the performance.
    There was for sure, but they looked more confident and assured and none of those stupid defensive mistakes, bar shields fooling everyone including himself in extra time with the duff clearance.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    It's a valid argument alright. I think during the thread Sheriff were being called out as comically bad (I think that's a quote) at times, and yet for my money still looked the better team. Did Dundalk really threaten the keeper in 120 minutes aside from the goal? Sloggett played well (man-bun aside) but no-one else really stood out. I think the significance of the result - in a third round match, which gives Dundalk a play-off tie against a Faroese side lucky to still be in the competition - is biasing things slightly.

Look, I dont want to get into an internet fight.... But ....The above bold is something someone with no experience of fooball would nearly say (the Faroe team scored 6 in Europe, no small feat.). Dundalk hardly blew anyone away in 2016, apart from one game against BATE. These games are defined by small margins. A pedestrian team would have lost that game. Did you ever think Dundalk made them look ordinary?

Im not saying the Dundalk team is anywhere near 2016, it has been a lucky draw for sure, but dont dismiss that performance.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Bit late with this and it may have been done but feck it..

Dundalk shot the Sheriff, but can they shoot the Faroese?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Look, I dont want to get into an internet fight.... But ....The above bold is something someone with no experience of fooball would nearly say
    Personal insults don't really count for a discussion point Kiki.

The Faroese got a walkover in the CL first round against a Slovan side who would have been heavy favourites. In fact, Slovan had two entire teams scratched due to covid. That gave KÍ a higher seeding, and an easier draw, than they would otherwise have gotten last night. All that counts as quite lucky in my book.

I don't know why you're talking about Dundalk blowing anyone away? I never said anything along those lines.

Did I think Dundalk made them look ordinary? I thought it was a game between two poor teams to be honest, which Sheriff marginally shaded. No more than that. I don't think you can define a "pedestrian team" as one that would have lost that game; that's a bit too narrow a definition.

So I still think it was an excellent result, but not a great performance. Both of those can be true.

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

It was a tight game, as there was so much on the line for a 1 legged tie... I have no idea why there is any negetivity put on that performance. Margins are so tight.

Fantastic stuff for Dundalk, and its good for the league of Ireland, as team in 3rd place in the league is still able to compete in Europe.... if only other LOI clubs could be as uninspiring as Dundalk in Europe.
    Those who have a fetish or delusion for having their own extraordinary insight seem to roll his way - maybe it is a lack of self-belief or attention seeking

I'm not sure it actually deserves any commentary either way as it just elicits more biased diatribes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Those who have a fetish or delusion for having their own extraordinary insight seem to roll his way - maybe it is a lack of self-belief or attention seeking

I'm not sure it actually deserves any commentary either way as it just elicits more biased diatribes
    MOD COMMENT: Look lads I don't want to start issuing infractions left right and centre but please respond to comments with your own opinion on the matter in hand please. Having an opinion is not a 'fetish or delusion' . Christ almighty.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 25/09/2020 at 1:45 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I basically do not give a fiddlers how we have managed to get in the the Play-off round. It is remarkable considering the turmoil at the club and the ropey domestic performances. We werent desperate in the CL but well beaten in chasing the game in the end and 3-0 flattered Celje a bit in the end. We had plenty of the ball without doing a whole lot with it. Inter, well the result counts but it was practically impossible to get some momentum going as Inter were true masters in manipulating a weak ref. Last night Dundalk changed formation - not something we have seen too often in recent years and it was reasonable effective. It is a fairly tight performance with few clanger errors. Arguably Garts losing his man for the goal but it was a bullit header all the same. We didnt drop off and put some good spells together and got back on terms. 2nd half we had more than a few decent chances but werent in scramble defence mode. Sherriff were poor in terms of wayward shooting. Crowd or not they were at home. The 5 Dundalk penalties were quality though Hoare gambled on whacking it down the middle.

Its a great opportunity in what has abeen a difficult season so far so I am taking it. The Dundalk lads were under an emotional pressure jnowing how key this game was and got through even with a stumble. Nobody is going to look back on the record on performances just the results and progression. Did anyone consider this opportunity possible - Exekiel was probably the only one who seemed to have belief that it will happen rather than just hope. Nobody will be taking the Faroese for granted and while Sherriff were not the team we expeted, I doubt that they expected Dundalk being able to worry them. The randome factors like the draw have helped but really we should and should have embraced seeded status from the get go and do so every season. We were concerned that 2016 co-efficient will drop next year, we are actually making some inroads in offsetting that and help stabalise our ranking. Lots of watching games between fingers to come and I hate been favourites but however it happens getting within 90mins of the groups stages and maybe actually getting there I see no down side. It may garner the interest of owners that a Dundalk team out of form have managed this so far. You can see the confidence creeping back in!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 25/09/2020 at 12:22 PM.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    It is indeed remarkable how Dundalk have got to this stage, considering how things have gone for them this season, on and off the pitch.

But you do have to give them great credit regardless of what's gone on. The heads could have been down after Celje and the comedy show that became of their managerial appointment, but they've stuck at it, dug in their heels, and progressed in two rounds in two weeks, irrespective of opponent or performance, they done it and are 90 minutes away from group stage action once again.

I'd give my right arm for something like that at Harps. I genuinely hope Dundalk fans enjoy it, even our argumentative friends on board the good ship foot.ie.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Will be interesting to see if the Dundalk supporters who have petulantly been dismissing the League of Ireland title this year as compromised and diminished will also take the same view of the Europa League - especially if they reach the group stages ?*

Arguably it has been even more compromised, given the huge dollop of luck Covid handed their Faroese opposition.

Still a great result all the same (though another poor performance).

Anyone know why Sheriff don't have a shirt sponsor btw ?

*(I think we all know the answer to that...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Klasivik beat Riteriai on away goals in last years ELQR1. So a decent barometer there. Still though, Dundalk should have no problems.

2018–19 UEFA Europa League
    Round Club Home Away Aggregate
    PR Malta Birkirkara 2–1 1–1 3–2
    1QR Lithuania Žalgiris 1–2 1–1 2–3

2019–20 UEFA Europa League
    Round Club Home Away Aggregate
    PR San Marino Tre Fiori 5–1 4–0 9–1
    1QR Lithuania Riteriai 0–0 1–1 1–1 (a)
    2QR Switzerland Luzern 0–1 0–1 0–2

2020–21 UEFA Champions League
    Round Club
    1QR Slovakia Slovan Bratislava 3–0(awd.)
    2QR Switzerland Young Boys 1–3

2020–21 UEFA Europa League
    3QR Georgia Dinamo Tbilisi 6−1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...going-through/

is it fair to say that Irish managers/coaches are arrested by fear? The negativity of relatively/fairly successful managers domestically like Fenlon/Caufield/Perth seeping through to the players, a lack of trust leading to being unable to perform or get the results in Europe?
    More than likely. I think Dundalk would have lost to the Andorrans in the previous round if Perth was in charge. And I say that based on last year's Euro campaign largely, which was littered with kamikaze defending and utter bluntness up front. Sure, they didn't create a whole lot of chances last night, but were noticeably the better team. Something that was hardly ever the case, as far as I can recall, in any Euro match that Perth managed them.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 25/09/2020 at 1:32 PM.

Page 44 of 81 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast