Page 34 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

If it all happens, Without a doubt it will provide more group stage opportunities for League if Ireland clubs. I don’t think clubs will be too bothered about which logo is on the match ticket if the clubs are making money from it and building new euro experiences
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    They most certainly will be bothered about the logo if the prizemoney isn't the same. If prizemoney for the new ECL group stages is comparable to EL group stages, I think it will be a very positive development for the LOI.
    An illustration of what I mean, is that if the European Conference League was in place this season, Dundalk would have the safety net of on ECL playoff even if beaten by Sheriff this week and would be guaranteed a Group Stage place in one or other competition with a win.

It's clear what the preference would be and the EL would have more money and prestige, but I don' think clubs would resent or reject the additional income and euro experience - do you?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    I’m not as confident. Obviously they’re not world beaters but I think they are a level above us. They have just signed a player who played against us in the Europa League group stages for Alkmaar, so that gives an idea of their level. I think we can do it but as ever we need be more clinical in front of goal and we need to avoid silly mistakes at the back. The usual requirements for an Irish team in Europe I suppose.
    I've been out to both places, moldova and transnistria, not sure what the incentive is to go there really unless a family connection. Its very poor, and the football isn't up to much out there. Regardless of the money being pumped in, these teams should not be posing problems to Irish sides in reality.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    In fairness, "money being pumped in" makes a huge difference to any football club. You can't just ignore it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Their players are made up of journey men from various lower level European leagues or Africans and South Americans(ive always advocated for LOI sides to setup loan schemes with SA teams - just like the learning English in Dublin thing). I doubt it takes much to get them over to a country like moldova and paying them more than they are getting back home, but enough to get a visa. I dont know the visa situation in Moldova, but I know that any moldovan can apply for a romanian passport, perhaps there's another way around and this is the carrot thats dangled in front of them around moving to "Europe".

Id be surprised if they were being paid much more than the top players in the LOI. Be great actually if all that information was made available by UEFA as a regulation like companies house or something.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 23/09/2020 at 11:24 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Probably all correct.

Doesn't mean Irish clubs should have no trouble off them though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    An illustration of what I mean, is that if the European Conference League was in place this season, Dundalk would have the safety net of on ECL playoff even if beaten by Sheriff this week and would be guaranteed a Group Stage place in one or other competition with a win.

It's clear what the preference would be and the EL would have more money and prestige, but I don' think clubs would resent or reject the additional income and euro experience - do you?
    Not sure that is quite correct. If Dundalk, for example lost to Celje at CL QR1 stage in 2021 - they go straight into the ECL Q rounds. They won't have a second safety net.

It will be crucial going forward to win CL QR1. Then if you lose in the EL quals in either QR2 or QR3 then you will have an additional safety net of ECL Quals. But you have to win CL QR1!

I did a big excel spreadsheet on it when first announced. Can't find it now

Probably mentioned already but in terms of group stage places
    Currently its a total of 80 - 32 CL 48 EL
    Under the new system it will be 96 places - 32 CL 32 EL & 32 ECL
    So an additional 16 places, but with at least 1 team from all the major leagues going into the competition qualifiers directly. I'm not sure exactly how many will be reserved for the champions path - i think its 5 but stand to be corrected on that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Wiki says 10 teams will parachute from the EL play-offs straight into the ECL groups. That's a mix of champions path (11 of the 20 play-off teams) and EL starters (9 of 20)

So that would reduce to 22 the group slots available for 3 of the 4 LoI sides.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Paul, if you are ignorant about the Europa Conference League, perhaps a UK themed article might be easier to digest for you. Is a "narrow little head" intended as a strange personal insult - does it speak more about you?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...eague-18936794
    Not at all Zeki, you just shifted the goalposts in the argument when you were proven wrong, as though youd created your own little world. I wasn't speaking in the physical sense either, so not sure why an infraction was warranted. I am fully aware of the "new" Conference league, but I'd be surprised if that goes ahead in the next 2 years.

I'm sure its been costed etc, but i still cant see how the ECL is profitable for UEFA, be interesting to see what figures they have on sponsorship etc. My assumption is its more break even than anything else and therefore the money available for clubs until much further progression is minimal if any, just covering costs. But i suppose playing against a better calibre of player is always a benefit too. I reckon its something that will last 3 years maybe and then be disbanded.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 23/09/2020 at 12:02 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I dont like that guy, hes often got mixed up in which country he is. And always plays the poor piper tune of the country its a bit disingenuous. I've seen him get lari and moldovan currency(leu) mixed up before and other simple silly mistakes. He usually has a good looking translator (in non russian speaking countries) with him to get the hits.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I've been out to both places, moldova and transnistria, not sure what the incentive is to go there really unless a family connection. Its very poor, and the football isn't up to much out there. Regardless of the money being pumped in, these teams should not be posing problems to Irish sides in reality.
    When Derry played Dinamo Minsk of Belarus a couple of years back, the Minsk website was literally laughing at the state of the roads up north and the fact that Belfast International Airport smelled of cow sh!t (presumably farmers nearby had recently sprayed slurry). There are probably people in Tiraspol right now chuckling about the state of Dundalk

If the wealth of a country was directly translatable into its football, we'd be better than teams from places like Portugal and Greece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I dont like that guy, hes often got mixed up in which country he is. And always plays the poor piper tune of the country its a bit disingenuous. I've seen him get lari and moldovan currency(leu) mixed up before and other simple silly mistakes. He usually has a good looking translator (in non russian speaking countries) with him to get the hits.
    Fair enough, as you say you have indeed been out there yourself. I do agree that he makes silly mistakes at times, but I thought it was a decent representation of the people and the area, of which I knew nothing about otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Going to go out on a limb here and suggest that Sheriff will win comfortably.

Mostly just to annoy the couple of Dundalk fans who have been close to unbearable on here recently..
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I agree with point that you make on discipline, although here were none arising from Thursday evening - in fact quite the contrary, they acquitted themselves very well in he face of outrageous behaviour from Inter players and what was probably the worst referring performance I can recall seeing in an elite match.

This team have still to recover the form, swagger and belief that they have demonstrated previously and lead them to dominate LOI football over the last 6-7 year. They will go into next week's macth as underdogs, but only a fool would write them off. Co-efficient probably tells little, but the gap with Sheiff is modest (12.75 V 8.5) If Dinamo Tbilisa awaits the winners they are ranked even lower at 4.75.

Hail Mary hopes have never been part of the deal - this side has aspirations for something very different than a "crushing tonking" or "no Europe next year". I expect Europe fooball next season and would not be a all surprised to be taking on Dinamo Tbilisi for a place in the EL Group stages on 1 Oct
    I agree, the conduct of the players v Inter under the circumstances was certainly stoic as necessary. While I dont think discipline is an issue for us, the behaviour of the Inter players was an (excessive) reminder of how European team milk everything they can. Experience is crucial in those circumstances and indeed, as much as goes against the grain, it is something we have drop to also at times imo. I think game management is the general term for player being ars*s.

I certainly hope that the teams puts in a big performance and progress. They are capable and can match aspriations but Im not feeling the swagger thats needed at all. Hence the hail mary hope on this occasion. Not something to have been used to but under current albeit improving form, a narrow win at a midtable Shels, Cobh in the Cup, and a 0-1 win against an Andoran side, to me means that we havent been really tested by a top outfit under the new coaching team. I do tend to sway on the fearful side of things and I dont think EL groups will be achieves but in saying that I wouldnt rule the possibility out. I havent seen Sherriff play but all things considered with us this season I couldnt make a shout for any more than a 30% chance of progression. Maybe I'm unnecessarily keeping my expetcations to a minimum so disappointment wont be as acute but I will always hope too of course. The hail mary hope is all mine, the team isnt going to go out with anything but the belief that they will win. A goal and settle after, grow in to a grove, and keep the error count down and we can be hopeful. I think we are still brittle enough that if we go behind we could ship a few by the end of the game. Soooo my prediction is for Dundalk to be 2-0 up and then they put us through the wringer by conceding 1 in the last ten and are just hanging on....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    It looks like the game will be streamed on the same website as last weeks game. It’s listed on their schedule now.

https://www.laola1.at/de/ott/de-at/schedule

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Not at all Zeki, you just shifted the goalposts in the argument when you were proven wrong, as though youd created your own little world. I wasn't speaking in the physical sense either, so not sure why an infraction was warranted. .
    I'm surprised that you have come back to the personal insult Paul - you appear to be comfortable about it and I'll just leave it with you

I don't know anything about any infraction - that's down to you and Mods

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    It may just be a tendency to be over-optimistic on my part, but I see our chances as being closer to 40%.

Filippo Giovagnoli appears to have steadied the ship over the last 4 weeks - even if the performances have been only marginally better than adequate, the 3 successive wins and new regime appears to have had a positive impact on the squad.

Although Andy Boyle's suspension is unfortunate, Patrick McEleney's availability - probably from the bench - adds another creative string to the bow. From the players perspective, they know a win lifts them back to he rarefied air of Europa League Group Stages possibilities, while a defeat could leave the season in a negative tail spin.

Obviously a lot also depends on the quality and attitude of the Shefiff side - it looks like a stream could be confirmed later today.

Brian Gartland to get his 51s goal for Dundalk with a 90th minute bullet header
    I've been told only as they were confident they would get through without him McEleney would have travelled last week.

He will start IMO with Shields and Slogget behind him

One thing he can do is excel in Europe 2016, best player V Rosenborg in Oriel, best player when brought on v Slovan in Tallaght

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    I've been told only as they were confident they would get through without him McEleney would have travelled last week.

He will start IMO with Shields and Slogget behind him

One thing he can do is excel in Europe 2016, best player V Rosenborg in Oriel, best player when brought on v Slovan in Tallaght
    A fit and in-form Patrick McEleney would be increase our prospects significantly. He always appears to be an injury risk, but I would be delighted to see him start at No 10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I really don't know if Filippo Giovagnoli is a good coach or not, but he certainly appears to have lots of sensible and grounded things to say.

Of course he is only pointing out the obvious to his players when he talks about what winning tonight could mean

"We have to be honest, this is the game that can change a season. It can make this season unbelievable for them. Not for us because we're only here a month but for them it can be an historic game.
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...dalk-fortunes/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    When Derry played Dinamo Minsk of Belarus a couple of years back, the Minsk website was literally laughing at the state of the roads up north and the fact that Belfast International Airport smelled of cow sh!t (presumably farmers nearby had recently sprayed slurry). There are probably people in Tiraspol right now chuckling about the state of Dundalk

If the wealth of a country was directly translatable into its football, we'd be better than teams from places like Portugal and Greece.
    While I take your overall point you can not compare a country with the weakest economy in Europe, a developing country, with developed nations like Portugal, Greece and Ireland. Moldova is an extremely poor country and lacking all kinds of infrastructure that we take for granted in most of Europe. So whilst we might have a better and more functioning economy than Greece or Portugal, and yet they have better football leagues, there is nothing to compare in terms of living or anything else with Moldova - and that's the point I am trying to make.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 34 of 81 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast