Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Showgrounds - Outdoor Museum

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts

Showgrounds - Outdoor Museum

Virtual tour of the new Sligo Rovers Outdoor Museum in The Showgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ75CCmWOis
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Nice work. The Showgrounds is a fantastic facility. A covered terrace at the carpark end would be superb. Is there a grass training pitch beside the astro?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Looks fantastic. Would like to see more clubs create something similar. A great tool for old and new fans to learn more about the history of their club and it wouldn’t cost a huge amount to do so either

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Thats really is a superb job!! Good to see some Peace4 funding involved and accessed.

I like what Bohs try to do with Dalymount with the funky graffiti and all, but this by Sligo does so much on so many levels with the tributes, memorials, the multi-cultural history, celebrating community, linking the old to the new generations of fans and of course simply utilising wasted and possibly ugly spaces and turning them in to an asset and promotion of the club. I'd love to see Sligo move this beyond The Showgrounds and in to the town and broaden the (historical) presence and contribution to the locality. I can see business wanting to have infographics at their premises as they grab peoples attention. What is the section of plaques? You often see them as part of fundraising for ground developments eg financial contributors get their names incorporated in a section of a build.

It really shows up Oriel Park (I know I know) on some very basics (and Im not suggesting that this Sligo museum is at all basic in its conception and delivery) but paint, info and pictorial boards could really improve the impression of some areas in Oriel and other grounds too. Around the town in general there are historical plaques and pictures hung on sign and lamp posts. Dundalk Town Council should have DFC related stuff on the approaches to Oriel Park on the Carrick Road. The corridor under the main stand in Oriel used to have European match night programmes framed and hung and for visitors to the club, especially from England, they were speechless at the teams involved particularly when their own clubs have no hope of ever hosting a PSV, Porto, Red Star et al.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Had a look at some of the stuff down the back of the stand last year. It's very impressive. A nice walk down memory lane, I'm sure, for most Sligo supporters. I enjoyed reading a lot of the pieces myself.

Showgrounds has come an awful long way from the ground I'd have first went to about twenty years ago. It's a great credit to all at the club who have done the work behind the scenes to pay for it.

Agree a fourth stand at the carpark end similar to the railway end would be the cherry on top.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    385 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Thats really is a superb job!! Good to see some Peace4 funding involved and accessed.

I like what Bohs try to do with Dalymount with the funky graffiti and all, but this by Sligo does so much on so many levels with the tributes, memorials, the multi-cultural history, celebrating community, linking the old to the new generations of fans and of course simply utilising wasted and possibly ugly spaces and turning them in to an asset and promotion of the club. I'd love to see Sligo move this beyond The Showgrounds and in to the town and broaden the (historical) presence and contribution to the locality. I can see business wanting to have infographics at their premises as they grab peoples attention. What is the section of plaques? You often see them as part of fundraising for ground developments eg financial contributors get their names incorporated in a section of a build.

It really shows up Oriel Park (I know I know) on some very basics (and Im not suggesting that this Sligo museum is at all basic in its conception and delivery) but paint, info and pictorial boards could really improve the impression of some areas in Oriel and other grounds too. Around the town in general there are historical plaques and pictures hung on sign and lamp posts. Dundalk Town Council should have DFC related stuff on the approaches to Oriel Park on the Carrick Road. The corridor under the main stand in Oriel used to have European match night programmes framed and hung and for visitors to the club, especially from England, they were speechless at the teams involved particularly when their own clubs have no hope of ever hosting a PSV, Porto, Red Star et al.
    https://www.sligorovers.com/the-bit-o-red-wall/

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    421 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post

Virtual tour of the new Sligo Rovers Outdoor Museum in The Showgrounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ75CCmWOis
    That's brilliant to be fair. I think Sligo is often mentioned for being a true football town, with support beyond what might be expected, you always see it with the incredible fund raising efforts etc. The museum looks like a great tribute to the club and the community that supports it.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post

Dundalk had a full month exhibition a few years back in the Louth County Museum in the town, it was an outstanding display of old programmes, film clips shown from euro and league / cup winning games, kits from down the years and loads of other memorabilia. It took up the main part of the museum also.

What Sligo have done is permanent though, and quite rightly needs to be commended, I think they also got a full grant to pay for most of it, they are one hell of a well run club.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk had a full month exhibition a few years back in the Louth County Museum in the town, it was an outstanding display of old programmes, film clips shown from euro and league / cup winning games, kits from down the years and loads of other memorabilia. It took up the main part of the museum also.

What Sligo have done is permanent though, and quite rightly needs to be commended, I think they also got a full grant to pay for most of it, they are one hell of a well run club.
    Sligo Rovers imo are the best run club in Ireland. You never hear Sligo Rovers get into financial difficulty in all my years supportin the loi.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    You what?

There was time they went looking for 100k to survive the next six weeks, and as soon as that was raised they immediately went looking for another 100k to get through the season. Fairly big one, that!

(But in fairness, I think your comment is generally right)

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You what?

There was time they went looking for 100k to survive the next six weeks, and as soon as that was raised they immediately went looking for another 100k to get through the season. Fairly big one, that!

(But in fairness, I think your comment is generally right)
    sligo are the league of ireland equivelent of the farmers, always hard done by and in need of help and sympathy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Agree that a small covered stand/terrace at car park end would really add to the Showgrounds. On a fine summers evening with a decent crowd in, it really is a lovely setting for a game, with the great views of the mountains in the surroundings. Can't wait to go back as had a good few enjoyable times there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post

It was a good exhibition with Jim Murphy (RiP) having the leg work done in a manner that only he really could do - such a loss but what an historical legacy he has left us! As a temporary exhibit anything not loaned will disappear in to storage which is a pity as some of it, particularly the infographic boards could be mounted in Oriel Park/YDC. It was the 2nd DFC exhibition in the museum and very different times indeed with the 1st one in 1995 or so. It was the first time I had seen any reasonable footage of Celtic v Dundalk in 1979 and I havent seen it since either. I did dig through the stores looking for that tape (it included a lot of old footage of European nights mainly from Pathé) but it seems the tape had been loaned and was never returned much to my regret. Other stuff did crop up though, one item being a letter from Dundalk FC (colours White jerseys and blue knicks) from late 30's asking creditors to defer payments after a poor season and a fall in gate receipts - late 90's it was very much the more things change the more things stay the same. Hopefully in another 20 years or so there will be another exhibit and have added plenty more silverware!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 06/02/2021 at 5:07 PM.