Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Never really understood statements like they've no European pedigree, they finished 5th the last few seasons etc. Dundalk aren't playing the team from a few seasons ago. They're playing the team that just won the league. Past results and finishes mean nothing.

Very difficult draw considering the ****shows since the restart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Never really understood statements like they've no European pedigree, they finished 5th the last few seasons etc. Dundalk aren't playing the team from a few seasons ago. They're playing the team that just won the league. Past results and finishes mean nothing.

Well what else have we to go on?

They won the league because Olimpija threw it away (2 points from the final 12). How strong is the Slovenian league? I don't know what state Maribor have been in recently. People can say it's the toughest possible draw from the 4 in the pot, but it's still alright.

The owners are only here for Europe so if we can't beat this crowd, then the Americans will be off soon enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post
    Dundalk off to Slovenia then.

Up North Glentoran at home to HB Torshavn and Coleraine Home to La Forita(San Marino)
    Linfield beat La Fiorita 2-0 at the weekend in the first qualifying round of the CL. Presumably Coleraine should have enough for them as well.

Interestingly, the CL qualifying round games were played in Nyon, in the same ground, a few hours apart.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Same as the last couple of years (venue aside). It was Gibraltar last year, with the "final" in a couple of days there too

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Its definitely true that at this stage of 'European Squad' development that we should not be so afraid. But we have been stung before, we nearly all have suffered the LoI European calamity goals and been in games we should have won, were unlucky to lose, sitters missed to put clubs through and going out on careless goals conceded at home. It's become an annual tradition to watch games between fingers expecting the worst to happen at any moment. If were 3 away goals up with 10 minutes to go we'd still be sweating!

On the Slovenians European pedigree, well ye'd like to think that we'd have a bit more guile than them and that we'd do to them the sort of naive stuff we were doing c2014, as unlikely as it might be that they'd be naive. But quick throw-in, and frees, keeping the tempo up, if they do switch off we need to take advantage. Non of this missing sitters or needing to create multiple chances to score one.

You really cant look too much at their former european record as this side could be set to dominate their league after poaching Maribors players...

Back to basics though, get some good domestic results and play in to form, even if the league has gone, take some confidence in to the CL games and let the rollercoaster begin! Its in Europe that Oduwa coud really shine, Colovic too although he has become a main man domestically already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts

Fair point.

I guess if you look at previous seasons, they won the league with quite a low points tally. So the question then is is it a transition season for Maribor/Olympija coupled with good form for Celje?

If Bohs won the league this year (not impossible), I'd chalk that down at least in part to Dundalk fading/being in transition, and wouldn't expect Bohs to do as well in Europe as Dundalk.

Could be wrong of course.

I think either way though, Dundalk need to be going into this with a positive mindset, or it could potentially be their last Euro campaign for a while

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The game is set for Hungary. Helps a bit in terms of making it less of a nightmare draw.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Fair point.

I guess if you look at previous seasons, they won the league with quite a low points tally. So the question then is is it a transition season for Maribor/Olympija coupled with good form for Celje?

If Bohs won the league this year (not impossible), I'd chalk that down at least in part to Dundalk fading/being in transition, and wouldn't expect Bohs to do as well in Europe as Dundalk.

Could be wrong of course.

I think either way though, Dundalk need to be going into this with a positive mindset, or it could potentially be their last Euro campaign for a while
    I'm not sure what ye mean here Stu? In that we would fade out of euro places next season or even that P6 pull the plug. We've 4 games minimum and who knows but I dont think a poor campaign would mean we'd be waiting a while for another european game. I do think winning the league this year by whomever could be very important with an additional competition. I can see the UEFA Conference delayed due to the whle covid stuff where adding additional games might not be the best idea at the moment. If it is delayed it would be a bit of a sickener for the 2020 champs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    The game is set for Hungary. Helps a bit in terms of making it less of a nightmare draw.
    There is social distancing at grounds in Hungary but will fans be allowed travel from either club. No trip back to the the spot where Ricky McEvoy got our hopes up (only to be dashed at home by a multi deflected goal) with that ground recently gone i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Well the Euro cash is vanishing quite quickly it seems. If the budget is cut, will ye still be competitive or will ye become a mid-table side?

Maybe "last campaign for a while" is a bit over the top. But it does seem to be a very make-or-break year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Whaaatt? You doubting the long term committment of the owners...

Cash reserve or P6 'investment' I think they would keep with it for another bit under a new management team imported before quits. But you could well be right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Well what else have we to go on?

They won the league because Olimpija threw it away (2 points from the final 12). How strong is the Slovenian league? I don't know what state Maribor have been in recently. People can say it's the toughest possible draw from the 4 in the pot, but it's still alright.
    We have the present to go on and that's all, nothing in the past matters. Not sure I buy the argument that they only won the league because another team lost, is that not every league? The best team wins the league end of. Lets hope they are not that strong but if we are going down the route of looking at the past we should only look at the fact that the Slovenian league is historically stronger than Ireland and they are the champions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Whaaatt? You doubting the long term committment of the owners...

Cash reserve or P6 'investment' I think they would keep with it for another bit under a new management team imported before quits. But you could well be right.

In the LoI? Doubt everything

Other factor is when will crowds be let back in? Covering the gate is a cost Peak6 can't have envisaged. If fans can't come in, any club is surely a lot less investable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Not sure I buy the argument that they only won the league because another team lost, is that not every league? The best team wins the league end of.
    The point though is they could be a bit weaker than previous years' champions if Maribor and Olympija were in transition. Certainly they won with a relatively low total.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    There is social distancing at grounds in Hungary but will fans be allowed travel from either club. No trip back to the the spot where Ricky McEvoy got our hopes up (only to be dashed at home by a multi deflected goal) with that ground recently gone i think.
    All games up until the play-off round, at least, are behind closed doors.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsle...-need-to-know/
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The point though is they could be a bit weaker than previous years' champions if Maribor and Olympija were in transition. Certainly they won with a relatively low total.
    Yeah I get that to be fair, it's not exact science but a much better indicator than a clubs past finishes and European results. We all know clubs can come into wealthy owners and come out of nowhere, they might be gone just as quick but doesn't mean they can't take some scalps along the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Europa League seeding groups involving LOI clubs:

Group 2

Seeded
    1 Žalgiris Vilnius (LTU)
    2 Riteriai (LTU)
    3 Budapest Honvéd (HUN)

Unseeded
    4 Derry City (IRL)
    5 Paide Linnameeskond (EST)
    6 Inter Turku (FIN)

Group 7

Seeded
    1 Shamrock Rovers (IRL)
    2 AGF Aarhus (DEN)
    3 FH Hafnarfjördur (ISL)

Unseeded
    4 Honka Espoo (FIN)
    5 Ilves Tampere (FIN)
    6 Dunajská Streda (SVK)

Group 10

Seeded
    1 Bodø/Glimt (NOR)
    2 Nõmme Kalju (EST)
    3 Fehérvár (HUN) 

Unseeded
    4 Mura (SVN)
    5 Kauno Žalgiris (LTU)
    6 Bohemian (IRL)
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Even for the unseeded teams, none of those teams look particularly daunting. I think you'd have to be reasonably happy with those options overall.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    635 Posts
    The one leg nature makes home draw massive.
    All rovers opponents are on the green list so we could play at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    And for UCL Q2:

Group 2

Seeded
    Legia Warszawa (POL)/Drita (KOS)/Linfield (NIR)
    Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)/Riga (LVA)
    Molde (NOR)/KuPS (FIN)

Unseeded
    Celje (SVN)/Dundalk (IRL)
    Flora Tallinn (EST)/Sūduva (LTU)
    Ararat-Armenia (ARM)/Omonia (CYP)
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast