Celje
    Slovenia
    Derry City
    NO
    AWAY
    Riteriai
    Lithuania
    YES

In the last 6 matches, LOI sides have conceded 3 goals in 5 of those matches. Not very good..., all be of it, only 1 home match in that time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Very dissapointing, chances missed.
    U get one chance a year at this u have to be ready.
    Feel sorry for Derry, I've had plenty of those if onlys.
    Nothing to feel sorry about. It was a pathetic performance and an embarrassment of an outcome against a gift of an opposition. It is a disgrace.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    Decades of giving away cheap goals has been a real scourge in Europe. It used to be put down to fitness, PT players but in this current 'pro' era and the early-mid 2000's its a reoccuring theme. Play well then implode and miss sitters on top. Ye can only call bad luck so often. Do clubs have sports psychologists working with them at all?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Decades of giving away cheap goals has been a real scourge in Europe. It used to be put down to fitness, PT players but in this current 'pro' era and the early-mid 2000's its a reoccuring theme. Play well then implode and miss sitters on top. Ye can only call bad luck so often. Do clubs have sports psychologists working with them at all?
    Tonight was nothing to do with habitual cheap goals in terms of LOI in Europe. It reflected a well know issue at Derry. Two of the most simple goals ever same ball same run before That ****ing backward **** Cherrie done that which was beyond belief.

Crowd of farmers we played tonight, so embarrassing. You could’ve chose a squad of Lithuanian boys in Derry who play ; a side to chin us. Save us the journey.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Beginning to feel like Kerr was right, even though i've watched most games, Bosses stat doesn't really make things any better :/

THe silly goals are definitely not happening cos of tired legs and tired minds like before, which was frustrating but the lack of proper fitness setup and coaches it was somewhat understandable, they are just simple junior football type mistakes, maybe not even that, more likely on the court in 6th class. It's hard to understand. Perhaps GK/CB or Back 4 hasnt moved on whilst the rest has.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Maybe the LOI is not as good as we think? I know Bohs have a tough game and I don't expect them to win that game but its up to Rovers now - they should win on Thursday but then, they unseeded in the next draw and god only knows who they get! ... Ireland are 36th at present in the co-efficient (I don't know how tbh) but that will crash after this year probably down to low 40's I think.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing.
    It happens so often that it must be down to an element in the psyche of domestic Irish players, rather than a fitness issue. Maybe our domestic players unconsciously believe their inferior than their European counterparts, even ones from backwater countries like Lithuania...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinfordfc View Post
    Maybe the LOI is not as good as we think?
    We know the LOI isn't great, but when you see Dundalk and Derry dominate their games, then shoot themselves in the foot with defensive errors, which is a recurring theme for LOI teams EVERY year, it makes you think there must be a deeper issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    In fairness, neither Derry or Dundalk have been particularly impressive of late. The hope in Europe this year always lay with Shamrock Rovers or Bohs.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    I think LOI players get moments of panic where they suddenly think
    " Holy €hit we're playing in Europe!! " and let the occasion get the better of them.There's almost a collective level of amnesia and thus sill goals are conceded. That Lithuania pub team celebrated like they'd won the league last night-- what's does that tell ye?.
    I also really think it's down to the level of finishers/strikers in our league. I expect Bohs and Rovers to do quite well actually, for some unknown reason...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Maybe the LOI is not as good as we think? I know Bohs have a tough game and I don't expect them to win that game but its up to Rovers now - they should win on Thursday but then, they unseeded in the next draw and god only knows who they get! ... Ireland are 36th at present in the co-efficient (I don't know how tbh) but that will crash after this year probably down to low 40's I think.
    Yes this is the last year where Dundalk's 2016 Europa League run contributes.

From next year we're already looking at 48th place as a starting point, with Northern Ireland passing us out.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2022.html

If we keep going this way, we will lose a European spot in the next couple of years.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    " Holy €hit we're playing in Europe!! " and let the occasion get the better of them. There's almost a collective level of amnesia and thus sill goals are conceded. That Lithuania pub team celebrated like they'd won the league last night-- what's does that tell ye?.
    I also really think it's down to the level of finishers/strikers in our league. I expect Bohs and Rovers to do quite well actually, for some unknown reason...
    This. There is always this underlying idea in LOI clubs / players minds that European teams are class, savvy, play total football and have multiple Georghe Haji type players in their side. Too much of playing the European occasion and not the team imo.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    708 Posts
    Maybe the LOI is not as good as we think?
    It clearly isn't. It's objectively one of the weakest leagues in Europe. Results have shown that time after time.

16. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Yes this is the last year where Dundalk's 2016 Europa League run contributes.

From next year we're already looking at 48th place as a starting point, with Northern Ireland passing us out.

https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/crank2022.html

If we keep going this way, we will lose a European spot in the next couple of years.
    The Europa League Conference is going to save us from dropping into the preliminary rounds of the Europa League in two years' time unless someone can pull some good results out this year or next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    " Holy €hit we're playing in Europe!! " and let the occasion get the better of them.There's almost a collective level of amnesia and thus sill goals are conceded.
    For what it's worth, when I was writing the book on UCD's European experience and was talking to the various players, coaches and officials who were involved in the campaign, I didn't get any sense of that. The opposite in fact - everyone was hugely up for Europe and raised their game accordingly. OK, maybe Dudelange took us a bit lightly - but I think the overriding reality here is that the LoI just isn't a good league.

That's not to take away from the enjoyment of it, or of the European campaigns. But I think it does put into perspective people wondering why there aren't more LoI players in the national team, or suggesting that the LoI is as good as the SPL or League One. It clearly isn't.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    I saw this morning that Bohs produced a hard copy programme for their european game for a fiver. Nice touch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    " Holy €hit we're playing in Europe!! " and let the occasion get the better of them.There's almost a collective level of amnesia and thus sill goals are conceded. That Lithuania pub team celebrated like they'd won the league last night-- what's does that tell ye?.
    100% this! For the important goals that McMillan and Kilduff scored for example, they missed as many if not more (Kilduff v Rosenborg eg). There is a lack of a ruthless streak and is probably to do with overall quality. Kelly was a great signing for Pats but clincal enough for Europe. Hoban is doing a lot more link up play than being a striker. We can go back to was it Fitzpatrick missing a sitter for Shels v Deportivo, (Drogs v Kiev too?) and many before that too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Celje put up a fight against Molde I see; lost 2-1 in the end, and I think had a goal ruled out (or at least I got a cancelled goal alert from livescore)

Maybe they were better than given credit for - not that that excuses any of the three goals Dundalk gave away though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    I know I was giving out about the quality of LOI but Celtic getting beaten tonight is a big joke for Scottish football. Celtic was highest seed in 2nd qualifying round ... And got toss out at home!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    IT got me thinking about the argument about lower leagues and the general European footballing teams moving forward at a faster pace than LOI sides. Celtic had regressed and then stagnated, whilst the rest of Europe caught up. Sadly LOI hasnt caught up with the other European sides of similar league rankings.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 13 of 81 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast