Page 67 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Same old story..Gary Rogers.

It's a pity for Dundalk that Aaron McCarey didn't really step up to the mark. They really need a goalkeeper, have been saying the same for years too.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Jaysus, 3-0 now, just 32 seconds into the second half.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I know this is a bit ironic as a UCD fan, but the playing out from the back the way they're doing it (ie goalkicks inside the six-yard box) is a bit extreme. I can see that costing a goal before the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Jaysus id take 5 at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    You have to feel for McEleney, can't stay fit, real shame one of the best in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Same old story..Gary Rogers.

It's a pity for Dundalk that Aaron McCarey didn't really step up to the mark. They really need a goalkeeper, have been saying the same for years too.
    He's as reliable as De Gea....he is prone to the odd clanger but has been solid a lot more than a liability. Frustrating to concede so close to HT and that they happened as a result of an error or sloppiness. Could have had a bit of luck with a ball pinging about the box. 3rd goal was just individual class that little can be done about so doesnt hurt just as much. Ye have to make every chance count too eg Murry and Gartland mistiming things and spurning chances.

Definitely one eye is on the Pats game with some subs. McEleney is just made of glass these days and we will wait and see with Murray too. He was playing well so most likely an injury.

Not feeling humiliated (yet), the more ye play at this level the better the ability to cope and not be overawed. If we had a really classy striker for this level, and a keeper (due to Rogers age rather than ability) we'd obviously move up a level and look to hit group syages and then pick up points. Easier said than done, but we do need a hatfull of chances to score one, over the last 8 years the better sides we've played get one chance and its usually taken Rosenborg a typical example and where Kilduff missed a sitter that would have put us through. Spreading the net wider for players that are that bit more clinical is the only way to improve squads as there isnt any standout players in the usual circles as Rovers would know. Adorjan had the potential to both be a finisher and creator and had more pace than the attacking lads we have.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    He's as reliable as De Gea....he is prone to the odd clanger but has been solid a lot more than a liability. .
    Never seems like that though when he is up against decent European opposition, lets be honest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    He's as reliable as De Gea....he is prone to the odd clanger but has been solid a lot more than a liability.
    the delusion is strong in this one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Respectable scoreline in the end, with one eye on Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    the delusion is strong in this one
    Tongue firmly in cheek with the De Gea comment lol. The standout goalkeeping error in Europe was Sava's misskick v Zenit when we were winning and controlling the game. Rogers didnt make the punch tonight but I dont really recall any major past clangers, maybe a combination of errors but not in singling out Rogers. If there are examples Im happy to hold the hands up, but I think its a perception rather than anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    You feared the worst when they went 3 up 30 seconds into the second half but they kept it respectable in fairness,the player who scored the third cost 79 million euro! its a different planet they're on. The biggest shame for me is the Dundalk fans didnt get their away day,games like this won't come around often unfortunately.....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    As good as could have been expected I suppose. It's always going to be a defensive effort for 90 minutes, and Arsenal are eventually going to get through. 3-0 overall is decent. Ok, Arsenal were a weakened team, but that doesn't matter really, and Arsenal took their foot off the gas, but that doesn't matter either.

3-0 is as good as you could hope for, and after 45.32 minutes, it could have been a lot worse. Only cloud is that they had a part in a couple of soft goals, when you want the other team to have to earn their goals.

Just heard that Dundalk didn't commit a single foul for the entire 90 minutes, which is incredible really.

A pity that Dundalk fans were not there to see it, and clap the team off after a creditable performance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Tongue firmly in cheek with the De Gea comment lol. The standout goalkeeping error in Europe was Sava's misskick v Zenit when we were winning and controlling the game. Rogers didnt make the punch tonight but I dont really recall any major past clangers, maybe a combination of errors but not in singling out Rogers. If there are examples Im happy to hold the hands up, but I think its a perception rather than anything.
    Really didn't cover himself in glory for the first or last goal against Celje in fairness.

OK, he wasn't alone in that, but that doesn't take away from the fact his part in both was poor.

There's other examples I'm sure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I can remember Rogers not coming out for a backpass that let a Steaua player in to score in the RDS in our playoff match in 2009. Cost us the chance of winning on the night as we were 1-0 up at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Just heard that Dundalk didn't commit a single foul for the entire 90 minutes, which is incredible really.
    That is remarkable actually. Livescore says Arsenal committed 20.

But yeah, I don't think anyone can quibble with a 3-0 scoreline, even if the game did have the feel of an England v Andorra game for much of it. And a huge pity that Dundalk fans couldn't be there of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Its a pity dundalk didnt make the groups last year instead of this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Its a strange one in being ok with a 3 nil loss. Pity that the 1st two were errors. It does feel a bit typical to have gotten a plumb draw and not be able to go, especially having lived in London and would have pals that are Arsenal fans that Ive often been to rsenal games with. Back in Uni days in London, about 1998, the lads would have a good laugh at my determined support for a club they knew nothing about. Ive been getting a rake of messages now from them and they were pretty impressed considering the difference in size of clubs and finances. Its flipping easier to get English lads in Irish football than it is with the Irish!!

I thought that zero foul stat was an error on the BBC website, its remarkable really but not sure whether its is excellent discipline or lacking some edge. Usually when a team is chasing the ball fouls are committed, not the one dominating possession.

Keeping things respectable could be very important in relation to keeping Peak6 interested. It also might shut a few people up that would scoff and say a LoI would ship 10 against a top EPL side!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I thought that zero foul stat was an error on the BBC website, its remarkable really but not sure whether its is excellent discipline or lacking some edge. Usually when a team is chasing the ball fouls are committed, not the one dominating possession.
    Thought the fouls stat was an error myself initially, I’ve never in my life seen that happen in a game. To be fair there was several times when Nelson in particular was strolling through the midfield/defence and taking the **** a bit which could’ve done with a tactical foul. On the flip side no silly free kicks on the edge of the area were given away which could’ve resulted in goals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Really didn't cover himself in glory for the first or last goal against Celje in fairness.

OK, he wasn't alone in that, but that doesn't take away from the fact his part in both was poor.

There's other examples I'm sure.
    I doubt there is a keeper on the planet that hasnt had a few clangers if you look for them. I would remember Rogers more for saving (pardon the pun) us, particularly domestically in key games. He did have one spell where he did lose form but Kenny was the type of manager who stuck with players so they could build confidence and play in to form. So my perception is more positive than feeling he was a weak link, like a Chencinski or Horgan even. His age is main reason for people feeling a keeper is needed and that the jury is out on McCarey - maybe he just needs a run as N0.1. If I'd a choice between Rogers and Mannus I'll admit that Mannus would be the pick respective ages aside. Rogers has had to add the 'chipped' out short pass to his game, he does put them out for a throw more than younger keeper who has always been coached to pass and not hoof.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    Thought the fouls stat was an error myself initially, I’ve never in my life seen that happen in a game. To be fair there was several times when Nelson in particular was strolling through the midfield/defence and taking the **** a bit which could’ve done with a tactical foul. On the flip side no silly free kicks on the edge of the area were given away which could’ve resulted in goals
    That really is the main part of the positives from the Dundalk performance. We defended well as a single unit for long periods of pressure, runners were well tracked, no lunging in to tackles with players standing up and forcing the play in to wider positions. We werent severely carved open at will. Work ethic was excellent. If we had gotten to HT nil all and Arsenal brought on some of the big guns as we tired it probably would have been more than 3 in the end, though they did have a £79million Brazilian international reserve player on of course lol. Arsenal didnt need to risk players prior to their weekend game. With Molde winning against Vienna and considering how we did put in a good 45mins against Molde well maybe there is a point of two possible yet.

Page 67 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast