Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 65 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    We gave ouselves a chance to get points, it didnt happen but it is what it is. It showed that LoI clubs should not expect humiliation and can compete - Molde are a good side but not so good that we cannot attain that level of game. There is a gap with top Norway sides maybe but that can be closed. Im not sure a whole lot more could have been done tonight tbh. We are a c;ub/team in transition, new manager etc. So no disaster here - would have been nice to get a point on the board!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Good summary. We need to have things go in our favour to win big games and having goals dissallowed and inexperienced manager doesnt help.
    Kenny would have got a better second half out of dundalk. The gap is not unbridgeable

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    It’s a shame Dundalk couldn’t keep up the first half performance but a decent effort none the less.

On a negative note, Rapid Vienna seem to a good bit better than most gave them credit for when the draw was made if tonight’s performance is anything to go by. They made a strong Arsenal side work hard for their win tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    It’s a shame Dundalk couldn’t keep up the first half performance but a decent effort none the less.

On a negative note, Rapid Vienna seem to a good bit better than most gave them credit for when the draw was made if tonight’s performance is anything to go by. They made a strong Arsenal side work hard for their win tonight

It was a reasonable first half but the 2nd half onslaught was to be expected. They were a good side but not to the extent that that a result would be some sort of major LoI achievement to beat them. All the disruption considered we were ahead for 2/3s of the game and it was soft/silly peno t gie away. Likewise with the rues out goal, a soft free out. Cant fee too disappointed tbh. This is all bonuse extra considering the mad season thats in it. It wouldnt surprise me at all if we picked up unexpected points v Arsenal!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Have to give Dundalk a huge amount of credit for that performance. Molde were maybe a bit lax first half but they still showed they're a step above LOI and Dundalk raised their game to match them. Second half I think Dundalk's limitations showed and they clearly just don't have the same quality of player as they did in 2016. The shift to three at the back worked well, I thought, and given you've got four top class centre halves I wonder if it might be something you'll try more til the end of the season. Gartland channeled Joey O'Brien with some of those underlapping runs.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I thought the manager showed both his inexperience and his promise in some ways. There's no doubt Molde upped the tempo at the start of the second half, but I do feel there was a bit of inexperienced management influence on Dundalk too. They looked like they came out only thinking about holding onto the lead, rather than with a coherent plan to slow the game down, or to counter aggressively, it was all about sitting tight. That was easily exposed by a Molde team who had to improve, they didn't even create an awful lot or have to do a lot other than play a bit quicker which must be the most frustrating thing.

The promising sign for the management is that when Molde obviously decided to just sit once they had the lead, Dundalk switched the shape in a sensible way. There was no, lets just throw all our forwards on and hope, which usually leads to conceding another couple, the changes were well considered, tired players were replaced, the move to 3 at the back left enough cover to not be exposed, but allowed more players to get forward and in fairness there was a couple of half chances to nick the equaliser as a result.

Curious to see how the rest of the group progresses. Not sure there's enough quality for Dundalk to score points, but there seems to be enough there to avoid humiliation.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    I was desperately dissapointed with the second half display, as the first 45 was so bright, really stuck with them, and a great move for the opening goal.

Second half our MF was simply overrun, and by christ the thoughts went back to 'if only' we had likes of O'Donnell and Finn from 2016 group games to hold it more in the middle. Duffy was a real disappointment, and Sloggett just didnt play for the second half. Before their pen, the game was crying out for subs, they were made too late.

Real shame how it panned out, as this was the best chance to get a win or even pick up a point, can only realistically look at Rapid at home now to have a (slim) chance of getting points on board.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Sad second half for Dundalk after probably edging the first and could have went in 2 up but for a nonsense decision to rule out Hobans goal.

You need your best players to be at it to have a chance in this but unfortunately players like Duffy who's probably the best player in the league on his day didn't turn up, Hoban was far to isolated second half and you probably should have had McEleney and maybe Colovic on sooner to hold possession and get Dundalk up the field, tall order to get any points in this now, Rapid Vienna at home is the most obvious chance I suppose.

One last point so annoying to see Shane Keegan on the touchline for such a big game,I know why he's there just doesn't feel he's earned it.....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Colovic looks like a really good player why does he not start every game he is looks like the best passer in the team and always looking to link up play. Shields has been a great servant to yis but looks to be past his prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Colovic looks like a really good player why does he not start every game he is looks like the best passer in the team and always looking to link up play. Shields has been a great servant to yis but looks to be past his prime.
    You’re spot on re Shields - he’s been hot and cold this season - it was clear back in March when we beat Dundalk 3-2 and he was directly responsible for our 3 goals ( lost ball for first, let Pico get in front of him at corner for 2nd and allowed JB waltz by him for 3rd) that his time was numbered and I suspect his decline is a big contributor to what’s happened to Dundalk this season

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    You’re spot on re Shields - he’s been hot and cold this season - it was clear back in March when we beat Dundalk 3-2 and he was directly responsible for our 3 goals ( lost ball for first, let Pico get in front of him at corner for 2nd and allowed JB waltz by him for 3rd) that his time was numbered and I suspect his decline is a big contributor to what’s happened to Dundalk this season
    i think it is a rash overstatement to suggest that his time is numbered (what does that even mean?). Chris Shields has had some poor performances this season, and the his two performances against Rovers were far from his finest. He has certainly recovered much of his form in more times and it would be foolish to dismiss him on the basis of a small number of viewings - I expect that he will continue to be a hugely positive influence in his defensive midfield role in the coming season, although there are growing indications that Greg Sloggett is emerging as both a midfield partner and potential longer-term replacement

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingswood Rover View Post
    Lacks pace is the only thing. Mountney doesn't have his technical ability but he can get up and down all day, which you need against a Molde team who cause you real problems in wide areas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    i think it is a rash overstatement to suggest that his time is numbered (what does that even mean?). Chris Shields has had some poor performances this season, and the his two performances against Rovers were far from his finest. He has certainly recovered much of his form in more times and it would be foolish to dismiss him on the basis of a small number of viewings - I expect that he will continue to be a hugely positive influence in his defensive midfield role in the coming season, although there are growing indications that Greg Sloggett is emerging as both a midfield partner and potential longer-term replacement
    Time will tell who has fell and whose been left behind (Dylan)

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Time will tell who has fell and whose been left behind (Dylan)
    With warm wishes from the Bob Dylan archives

I wish that for just one time you could stand inside my shoes. You'd know what a drag it is to see you.
    Bob Dylan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    And something is happening but you don’t understand do you Mr ....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    With empty stadiums, home advantage nothing like the same as it was. (Check the statistics of the Premiership in England). Dundalk have a chance of sneaking a point in their travels (but not at Arsenal!!)

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Funny - while I think this season is going to be a bit topsy turvy alright, Molde's home league record is 8-0-2, while their away record is 5-1-5. So some things are unchanged.

Also, Rapid had 3000 at their game against Arsenal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    With empty stadiums, home advantage nothing like the same as it was. (Check the statistics of the Premiership in England). Dundalk have a chance of sneaking a point in their travels (but not at Arsenal!!)
    Obviously this is the blind optimism of a football supporter, but Arsenal play Leicester tomorrow and Man Utd next Sunday so I imagine they’ll play a fairly “weakened” team against us on Thursday. They’ll still be too strong for us but my irrational hope will grow as I dream of a shock result!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Obviously this is the blind optimism of a football supporter, but Arsenal play Leicester tomorrow and Man Utd next Sunday so I imagine they’ll play a fairly “weakened” team against us on Thursday. They’ll still be too strong for us but my irrational hope will grow as I dream of a shock result!
    Arsenals second team hammered Basel a few years ago, they seemed like they were itching for a chance to shine.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The gap between our league in money terms is amazing a draw for any irish club is worth 190k in group stages and would be a big chunk out of the yearly wage bill. Ozil is on 350€k a week at arsenal. Its irrelevent to them. The champions league place on offer for winning it though is the real prize and will keep them semi honest.

Page 65 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast