Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Our ground. Dont forget that we hosted the UEFA under 17 group stages in Bishopsgate last year. We have reopened the area behind the goal with new seats. Based on that I would be confident we would pass UEFA inspection.My only issue is that there isnt enough cover especially at the side near where Section O is.

But only if a NW/Northern side/midlands side made Europe .Think our capacity is back to over 5000 as we had 300 fans at last home game due to the new extra seats being put in!
    Longford host European competition, lol hat do they put in the water down ?

Its a decent ground for LOI but its miles off the standard for European competition

• New seats in Longford is great but unless they are going to be covered you will end with many of them rusting and disintegrating again in 4-5 years
    • Need to invest more in the facilities ie hot food provided, decent toilets on section O side
    • Car park need extending and improving, especially since its so far out of town
    • Is there more then one entry/exit point to the ground? Ben 5 or 6 times and only ever seen one in operation

You may think it a bit rich a Harps fan saying this, but I know exactly what Finn Park is.
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Tallaght Stadium - https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/...-31004924.html

The existing West Stand will be developed to include a medical area, mixed media zone, and new dining facilities.

This means the stadium will meet UEFA Category 4 requirements to host any European competition, including Champions League matches.
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    You may think it a bit rich a Harps fan saying this, but I know exactly what Finn Park is.
    The more Venues can hold Top class games the better however...

No surprise you lot steaming in should anyone suggesting anyone take European games away from Tallaght.

I’m sure SB has already promised you first pick of who he’s getting rid of in the Winter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post

No surprise you lot steaming in should anyone suggesting anyone take European games away from Tallaght.

I’m sure SB has already promised you first pick of who he’s getting rid of in the Winter.
    May I be the first to say..

What?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts

League of Ireland side Dundalk plan to seek permission from Uefa to play their home Europa League group matches at Windsor Park in Belfast.

Dundalk wanted to hold the games at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin but it was only available for two games with the other match set for Tallaght Stadium.

Club chairman Bill Hulsizer said on Monday this would be too expensive and Windsor Park is a suitable alternative.

An IFA spokesman said the association "declined to comment at this stage".

Dundalk have home fixtures against Molde (22 October), Rapid Vienna (26 November) and Premier League giants Arsenal (11 December).

Hulsizer revealed that splitting the games between the Aviva Stadium and Tallaght Stadium would cost the club an extra 50,000 euro.

Uefa hurdle

So the plan now is to stage the games in Northern Ireland, although Uefa prefer clubs to host ties "within the territory of its jurisdiction".

Hulsizer has a company based in Belfast and claims an employee has made contact with the Irish FA.

"We have a presence in Belfast now and the manager of our data business said he knew the boss of the IFA so he has called him on our behalf," he told RTE.

"Firstly, Windsor Park needs to confirm it's available so that we're not conflicting with something that they have scheduled.

"Then UEFA has to say we can play in another jurisdiction but it's a venue that is closer to Dundalk than the Aviva or Tallaght. We're also bringing an English team from the UK into the UK so there's logic to that I think.

"I want to get it done as fast as possible because it's unfair to my staff otherwise because there is loads of work to be done to host one of these games. It's not just a case of opening the gates and letting the teams in."
    He might be in for a shock at the cost of using Windsor Park.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    He might be in for a shock at the cost of using Windsor Park.
    My sat nav thingy says its 85km from Oriel to both Windsor Park and the Aviva.

His point about bringing an English team from the UK into the UK for the fixture is just random and utterly irrelevant.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Would Linfield be bothered helping out?

Would the HSA put any extra restrictions for leaving the country?

The bould Bill does seem a bit off his rocker at times tbh. It's an empty ground; it doesn't matter how well it looks. Because it's empty, and therefore looks ****e.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Would Linfield be bothered helping out?

Would the HSA put any extra restrictions for leaving the country?

The bould Bill does seem a bit off his rocker at times tbh. It's an empty ground; it doesn't matter how well it looks. Because it's empty, and therefore looks ****e.
    I don't think Linfield control the usage of the stadium any more ? Did they not have to do a new deal with the IFA as part of the refurbishment where they're effectively treated as tenants with strong right there now? I could be wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Oh that could be true.

Though would the IFA be more or less likely to help?

It does seem like Dundalk just announced they were playing in Lansdowne without checking its availability, and are having to backtrack now.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Longford host European competition, lol hat do they put in the water down ?

Its a decent ground for LOI but its miles off the standard for European competition

• New seats in Longford is great but unless they are going to be covered you will end with many of them rusting and disintegrating again in 4-5 years
    • Need to invest more in the facilities ie hot food provided, decent toilets on section O side
    • Car park need extending and improving, especially since its so far out of town
    • Is there more then one entry/exit point to the ground? Ben 5 or 6 times and only ever seen one in operation

Fair enough I may have got carried away with myself here. Theres obviously more to it than meets the eye!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    The ridiculous biased and unfair old agreement between Linfield and the IFA were changed with the redevelopment, it was an issue during NIFL participation agreements, and to get the necessary government funding iirc there had to be a change in the ownership model.

On the use of Windsor and any issue with Linfield, Dundalk and Linfield still have a very strong working relationship as they continue to work on reestablishing some version of the Dunfield project though it has been on a back burner - Pat Fenlon could be a bit of an ass about it as he was never such a big fan of Dundalk.

I'm not sure what Bill is trying to achieve by slinging stuff at the IRFU. I actually thought there was a management company over the stadium, should be a bit more independent of the associations involved with reps on a board of management rather than made up or IRFU/FAI. FG was the first to mention the Aviva, which probably jumped the gun but I'll give him a pass on making assumptions considering the unusal setup of the stadiums ownership.

I'm surprised that people werent more aware that Tallaght was getting dispensations for use as it doesnt yet fulfill all the Cat 4 criteria. Close to it but temporary work/facilities had to be provided for the group stages previously. The final stand was to include the missing pieces but it was said at the time that the cost of this was almost as much as the cost of renting it though there was cost knocked off for remedial work that could be used again.

Some of Bills points dont really stack up but I kind of like that the days of bowing and towing to sporting bodies seem to be coming to an end. That there isnt the fear of retribution if a club doesnt stick to the script. That said it is of no use to alienate people either like what has Sport Ireland to do with this specific issue with the IRFU. Again, Ive no doubts that an agreement could have happened to accomodate both the kicking practice sessions and the late ko of the game. Kicking practice wouldnt go past late afternoon. It hardly needs people there all day to prep for the EL game, the toughest issue is marking the pitch for both codes on the same day. The place is beg enough to keep groups present in opposite stands if need be like for security briefings. It could well be down to the IRFU being childish and giving a slap on the wrist over Peak6 proposals during the summer. We do like to take our pound of flesh in this country - my own glib reaction to the Fenn sacking over a decade since he annoyed me being a small but typical example.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Financial and IRFU/FAI/Dundalk FC issues aside, surely any professional club would prefer to play on a pitch used exclusively for soccer. I was at pitch level in Windsor Park on Sunday night and the pitch is in very good nick. The Northern Ireland Executive are more likely to allow some fans to attend, and 1,000 fans in Windsor Park would create far more of an atmosphere than the same number lost in the Aviva.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Would the Government get involved if there was talk of 1000 Dundalk fans travelling to Belfast while covid numbers are on the rise?

I don't see why Lansdowne Road as a venue is devalued just because some eggs are chased there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Demesne Lad View Post
    The Northern Ireland Executive are more likely to allow some fans to attend, and 1,000 fans in Windsor Park would create far more of an atmosphere than the same number lost in the Aviva.
    Not a chance in hell that will be permitted. There are almost constant checkpoints on the Derry / Donegal border at the minute to discourage cross border travels even into and out of areas of Donegal that are essentially Derry suburbs.

There is also likely to be tighter restrictions applied across the north very soon. Encouraging 1,000 people to travel up from Dundalk will be a big no no.

If Dundalk use Windsor, it will have to be empty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I don't think Linfield control the usage of the stadium any more ? Did they not have to do a new deal with the IFA as part of the refurbishment where they're effectively treated as tenants with strong right there now? I could be wrong.
    You're right they don't. The IFA set up a stadium management company to run the venue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Not a chance in hell that will be permitted. There are almost constant checkpoints on the Derry / Donegal border at the minute to discourage cross border travels even into and out of areas of Donegal that are essentially Derry suburbs.

There is also likely to be tighter restrictions applied across the north very soon. Encouraging 1,000 people to travel up from Dundalk will be a big no no.

If Dundalk use Windsor, it will have to be empty.
    Even if they were to allow some fans, the max would be 600.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Would the Government get involved if there was talk of 1000 Dundalk fans travelling to Belfast while covid numbers are on the rise?

I don't see why Lansdowne Road as a venue is devalued just because some eggs are chased there.
    Never thought about the fans aspect with Windsor. There would bound to be some issue with Dept of Health if 1000 odd were able to travel up just 'cause of the more lax covid restrictions. Dunno how they could actually stop people travelling legally, but might ask the club to do the sensible thing and keep it bcd, if using Windsor is viable at all. If we can keep from paying the bill until the last group game and of course the round of last 32 and beyond, if brexit talks are going nowhere € to £ rate could be near parity if Bill wants to save even more money...

The pitch in the Aviva stand up pretty well for rugby games, especially if not raining but if the Dundalk game was a day after a rugby game it wouldnt be ideal.

Its weird how no matter how things change the FAI always just seem to court negative situations. Disruption (over CMs on a flight where there isnt realistically distancing), losing a couple of key attackers and then going out on penos and then is a flipping false negative covid tests. While this issue on the Aviva may be an oversight by Dundalk, it looks that the FAI have damn all clout where their club representatives in Europe are trumped by a couple of hours of kicking practice in the rugby for a game a couple of days later. If the issue was an obligation to let either Ireland or Italy have their stadium training session then yeah there is a fully legitimate issue with prepping the pitch and stadium in time for a game that night, but kicking practive even with slots for both country's kickers?

*I see its just being announced that further false positives have happened that disrupted again for Ireland v Wales - what lab was doing the tests, taking the swabs, or the batch of test were dodgy. Unusual to get false positives in a cluster unless somthing was up. FAI looking a bit daft even if not of their own doing directly though SK seems annoyed by the presence of non-football staff being present.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 12/10/2020 at 8:16 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The stadium is run by a seperate company and maybe the question Bill should answer is why Peak6 have done nothing to plan or improve Oriel Park. Throwing his toys out ofthe pram aka Trump is stupid. The IRFU would have had that booked from the moment the six nations games were refixed and i doubt anyone in the stadium company or the IRFU would not be happy to facilitate Dundalk.It has happened before and indeed I was glad to be there. Surprisingly Bill appears to have missed the point that the national rugby team is a slightly bigger deal than Dundalk.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCSIL View Post

WTF are you scuttering on about?

I'd love to see more top class stadium around the country which could host European games, just not having someone suggesting Longford is anywhere near the standard to do so.

Who is SB and who will he be getting rid of in the winter?
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MKMK View Post
    The stadium is run by a seperate company and maybe the question Bill should answer is why Peak6 have done nothing to plan or improve Oriel Park. Throwing his toys out ofthe pram aka Trump is stupid. The IRFU would have had that booked from the moment the six nations games were refixed and i doubt anyone in the stadium company or the IRFU would not be happy to facilitate Dundalk.It has happened before and indeed I was glad to be there. Surprisingly Bill appears to have missed the point that the national rugby team is a slightly bigger deal than Dundalk.
    Maybe there is a plan there!! Oriel Park has been improved just not as us supporters would like to see. Im not so sure that a few hours of kicking training was insurmountable so as not to be able to host the Dundalk game. Bill is just a tad brash but hey he gives some life to LoI in these quiet times. Is he wrong about the stadium losing money? No idea what Peak6 would do differently but doesnt mean they are wrong in wondering why an asset is under used.

Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast