Page 10 of 81 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 1615

Thread: LOI In Europe 2020

  1. #181
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    79
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
    The current Rovers side is considerably better than the one that made the group stages imo.
    IMO you’re having a laugh......

  2. #182
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,537
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,172
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,054
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermoy Blue View Post
    IMO you’re having a laugh......
    I would agree! If rovers had been playing Wednesday night they would have slaugtered the Sloveniens. I think they are a far more capable side now than their group stage side. The league has pushed on on some of the basics for start!

  3. #183
    Reserves CorribsideSteve's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    634
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    183
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    96
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufil View Post
    Are we not being a bit harsh on Dundalk? They produced a good effort compared with their recent league outings. In these Covid-19 times things have changed and I feel it is harder to play well in empty stadia. Mistakes happen, and are part and parcel of the game, wait until Dundalk are out of Europe to judge them fully.
    Not harsh enough. The team they lost to won their first league in a Century, and it was their first attempt at CL qualification. I imagine they are, even this morning, still pinching themselves, barely able to believe how easy it was for them to win 3-0. And to add insult to injury, all I lkept reading on social media was "but Dundalk battered them!" Half chances, tame crosses, dreadful passing, a center forward slower than an oil tanker, and a comically bad central defender and goalie combo, but yeah, Dundalk were miles better for some people. If Dundalk continue to play like that, a team from Wales or the Faroes could easily beat them. Can't see them magically raising their efforts for the Europa game, unfortunately. The mental strength a team needs at this level isn't anywhere to be seen, and the technical side of their play is sorely lacking. I've been watching LOI in Europe since 1998, and that's in the top 10 for most embarrasing, comically bad team performaces and results. Mistakes are one thing, but when the player's brains leave their body and float off into the air like a loose balloon, that's another entirely.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 22/08/2020 at 7:23 AM.

  4. Thanks From:


  5. #184
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,040
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,681
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,710
    Thanked in
    1,852 Posts
    On culpability for the first goal it was Gartland who was 99% responsible, his atrocious level of awareness and defending set up the goal. There was never enough on the ball to reach Rogers without a pass back, any goalkeeper had to expect Gartland to stand strong, reach the ball and hoof it, instead he was easily swatted aside. if the goal was not scored there was case for a penalty. And even if Rodgers had got a decent block on the ball with his foot, there were two Celje players who had raced into the box ahead of the sleepy defenders ready to pounce on a loose ball.

    Considering how poor Dundalk have been this season and with an inferior team to previous, I thought they did well for a good part of the game,, though Celje passed the ball much better than them
    Celje are no mugs and as Slovenian champions ahead of group stage regulars Maribor, it was a very bad draw for a seeded Dundalk.

  6. #185
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,537
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,172
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,054
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    On culpability for the first goal it was Gartland who was 99% responsible, his atrocious level of awareness and defending set up the goal. There was never enough on the ball to reach Rogers without a pass back, any goalkeeper had to expect Gartland to stand strong, reach the ball and hoof it, instead he was easily swatted aside. if the goal was not scored there was case for a penalty. And even if Rodgers had got a decent block on the ball with his foot, there were two Celje players who had raced into the box ahead of the sleepy defenders ready to pounce on a loose ball.

    Considering how poor Dundalk have been this season and with an inferior team to previous, I thought they did well for a good part of the game,, though Celje passed the ball much better than them
    Celje are no mugs and as Slovenian champions ahead of group stage regulars Maribor, it was a very bad draw for a seeded Dundalk.
    In fairness, current form we'd be strugging against a San Marino u16 side! There has been much to any lift in the player at Sligo since VP left.

  7. #186
    Seasoned Pro brendy_éire's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Up the town, Derry
    Posts
    3,255
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    30
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    261
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...-in-lithuania/

    So our game is going ahead, unfortunately. Would have been handy to get the bye and save the travelling, but you'd still be expecting the win out there.
    Have you ever won the treble?

  8. #187
    Youth Team thebronze14's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    204
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    79
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020...-in-lithuania/

    So our game is going ahead, unfortunately. Would have been handy to get the bye and save the travelling, but you'd still be expecting the win out there.
    I don't think I ever expect an Irish team to win in Europe sadly!! It's more hope!

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #188
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,544
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    641
    Thanked in
    470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I would agree! If rovers had been playing Wednesday night they would have slaugtered the Sloveniens. I think they are a far more capable side now than their group stage side. The league has pushed on on some of the basics for start!
    100%.
    Only Finn, Stevens, twigg and maybe Rice from the group stage team would come close to a place in this year's team. (Finn obviously )

  11. #189
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    405
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    58
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Stream for Rovers game available for €10. It will be free for Rovers Members/season ticket holders and kids in the youth teams which is great to see.

    https://shamrockrovers.ie/livestream/

  12. #190
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,537
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,172
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,054
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    100%.
    Only Finn, Stevens, twigg and maybe Rice from the group stage team would come close to a place in this year's team. (Finn obviously )
    No O'Donnell, Even just for that peno?

  13. #191
    Seasoned Pro sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    4,544
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    149
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    641
    Thanked in
    470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    No O'Donnell, Even just for that peno?
    He was actually my next choice but just missed out, dan murray was close as well but Pico and Grace edge him on pure football ability.
    I;ve been watching Rovers since the 80's and this is the best tean since then.
    I dont think they are playing as well as towards the end of last season though.

    Its hard to compare teams accross time though, leaving Dan out cos he wasnt a football playing centrehalf is harsh because Michael o Neill didnt want the team playing elaborately out from the back
    Last edited by sbgawa; 23/08/2020 at 10:02 PM.

  14. #192
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,537
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,172
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,054
    Thanked in
    725 Posts
    The great football debate - how teams of different generations compare. Even in 10 or so years, fitness and strength has improved in LoI. There are so many players that ye'd love to have seen training and playing at todays levels. The Rovers group stage team imo was not spectacular, what was was O'Neills managment of what he had. Similar to SK but he had better resources too. I still feel lke I need a shower after jumping up when SRFC went through to EL groups!! My excuse is that Dundalk werent so good then so would have taken anything. Little did we know what would transpire ourselves!

  15. #193
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,526
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,861
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,287
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I've been watching the games since its been possible get a pub with a tv or a stream or something, so probably about 16 or 17 years, i couldnt count on hands and toes the amount. I can still remember bohs under fenlon conceding at home in the last few minutes in dailymount, after a very good performance, a silly goal and ruined it. That's 10 years ago at least now. And i'm sure if i put my mind to it i can remember back with Drogheda too, pats maybe 07/08, Cork. The list is endless.

    But while the football has vastly improved*, the technical ability, the physical ability( which was one i never understood), the fitness and general all round passing and possession football, the silly mistakes of yonder are still inevitable.

    Disagree with Kerrs comments, the co-effs might be worse the football and(general)performances are vastly superior to 10 years ago.
    The football is miles ahead but we're still trying to get back to the level of professionalism and job security of 15-20 years ago. And the rest of Europe has improved vastly since too. We still need to progress here to compete and it takes money.

  16. #194
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,526
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,861
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,287
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The great football debate - how teams of different generations compare. Even in 10 or so years, fitness and strength has improved in LoI. There are so many players that ye'd love to have seen training and playing at todays levels. The Rovers group stage team imo was not spectacular, what was was O'Neills managment of what he had. Similar to SK but he had better resources too. I still feel lke I need a shower after jumping up when SRFC went through to EL groups!! My excuse is that Dundalk werent so good then so would have taken anything. Little did we know what would transpire ourselves!
    Weird thing about that Rovers team is that Finn and O'Donnell went on to be worldbeaters but neither of them was guaranteed a place with MON. But I've no doubt the whole experience brought them onto another level.

  17. #195
    Seasoned Pro brendy_éire's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Up the town, Derry
    Posts
    3,255
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    30
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    261
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Riteriai match is being streamed by the club here.

    No freebies for ST holders, but it's only a fiver, which is a bargain really.

    https://www.derrycityfc.net/2020/08/...vs-derry-city/
    Have you ever won the treble?

  18. #196
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,040
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,681
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,710
    Thanked in
    1,852 Posts
    Ki the Faroe champions are through to the CL 2nd round, awarded the much feted 3 nil win by UEFA after their opponents Slovan Bratislava went through a comedy of errors on their trip to the archipelago.
    Before their departure from Slovakia a SB player was tested positive, Vladimar Weiss, once of Rangers,
    On arrival in the Faroes the whole entourage were tested and were "ordered" to enter strict quarantine as per UEFA rules, at least until the test results were revealed. Allegedly (rumours - social media strength) some players were spotted strolling around the town and were cautioned by police to return to the hotel.
    The test results revealed one positive for the SB physio. Under current Faroe rules the whole entourage either had to leave the country or stay in quarantine for 14 days.
    Uefa allowed SB to fly out their reserve team and fullfill the fixture. Faroes nerves not fully rested yet and remained in a dangling position. The reserve team duly arrived the next day (wednesday?) by charter flight and were all tested on arrival. One of the players tested positive and the whole reserve team were sent into quarantine.
    You couldn't make it up.
    The Slovaks cried conspiracy but the UEFA covid rules are clear, in the event of a team testing positive, local covid rules prevail and if the game cannot be rescheduled, the team that tested positive must forfeit.

    Nevertheless, that does not lessen the value of this historic victory for the plucky Faroese, possibly the biggest to affect the nation since they beat and cruelly humbled Austria in their first international competitive game in 1990.
    Last edited by geysir; 24/08/2020 at 9:44 PM.

  19. #197
    First Team D24Saint's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,520
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    143
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    249
    Thanked in
    181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Ki the Faroe champions are through to the CL 2nd round, awarded the much feted 3 nil win by UEFA after their opponents Slovan Bratislava went through a comedy of errors on their trip to the archipelago.
    Before their departure from Slovakia a SB player was tested positive, Vladimar Weiss, once of Rangers,
    On arrival in the Faroes the whole entourage were tested and were "ordered" to enter strict quarantine as per UEFA rules, at least until the test results were revealed. Allegedly (rumours - social media strength) some players were spotted strolling around the town and were cautioned by police to return to the hotel.
    The test results revealed one positive for the SB physio. Under current Faroe rules the whole entourage either had to leave the country or stay in quarantine for 14 days.
    Uefa allowed SB to fly out their reserve team and fullfill the fixture. Faroes nerves not fully rested yet and remained in a dangling position. The reserve team duly arrived the next day (wednesday?) by charter flight and were all tested on arrival. One of the players tested positive and the whole reserve team were sent into quarantine.
    You couldn't make it up.
    The Slovaks cried conspiracy but the UEFA covid rules are clear, in the event of a team testing positive, local covid rules prevail and if the game cannot be rescheduled, the team that tested positive must forfeit.

    Nevertheless, that does not lessen the value of this historic victory for the plucky Faroese, possibly the biggest to affect the nation since they beat and cruelly humbled Austria in their first international competitive game in 1990.
    Some farce.

  20. #198
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,521
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,874
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,766
    Thanked in
    2,341 Posts
    It's only Slovan of course. Things'll get interesting when it impacts, say, the CL group stages. And you'd have to imagine there's every chance it will.

  21. #199
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    33,521
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,874
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,766
    Thanked in
    2,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    you'd still be expecting the win out there.
    Worth noting Derry's opponents have never lost a home European game in 10 matches.

    They've beaten Swedish and Scottish opposition, and drawn with Cypriot, Serbian and Kazakh teams, among others.

    That's all in the past six years too - so I don't think there's any reason to be expecting a win this evening tbh.

  22. #200
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    344
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    124
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    78
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Worth noting Derry's opponents have never lost a home European game in 10 matches.

    They've beaten Swedish and Scottish opposition, and drawn with Cypriot, Serbian and Kazakh teams, among others.

    That's all in the past six years too - so I don't think there's any reason to be expecting a win this evening tbh.
    I'd normally agree but once in a blue moon LOI sides do get a handy draw that they should be expected to win like when Derry played Aberystwyth in 2014 and beat them 9-0 on agg.

    If Riteriai sitting bottom of the Lithuanian league with 1 win in 16 games were to knock Derry out it would be a horrendous result

Page 10 of 81 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kits 2020
    By Shearer in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 288
    Last Post: 04/07/2020, 1:27 PM
  2. EURO 2020 Qualifying
    By NeverFeltBetter in forum World League Football
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18/04/2019, 11:50 AM
  3. Euro 2020
    By BonnieShels in forum World League Football
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20/11/2013, 4:42 PM
  4. Comparison of Irish clubs in Europe versus Scottish clubs in Europe
    By Dodge in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 324
    Last Post: 14/09/2011, 8:18 AM
  5. Shels in Europe vs Cork City in Europe
    By harry crumb in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12/01/2005, 3:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •