Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Just read a novel by Sebastian Barry’s Far Far Away . Its about young Irish teenager who signs up in 1914 in the British Army to free Belgium in the Great War. Its not a bad read, if a little cliched. Paints the picture of a very confusing time for Irishmen in the British army as they go away heroes and come back to a completely different Ireland, like forgotten men.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    i'm reading "the resteraunt at the end of the universe" by douglas adams, sirhamish sent it to me

i should really be reading my college textbooks, ive a SAD exa m tommorrow morning
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete
    I just started the 'A Secret History of the IRA' & potential is good so far.
    Read that last month, thought it was excellent.

I'm reading "Gigantic - Frank Black & Pixies Biography".. Legend of a musician..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith
    Just finished Anne Applebaum's GULAG - a history. A frightening read on the ability of humans to be cruel, careless and plain stupid. Imagine being charged, tried, convicted and sentenced to 20 years hard labour for blowing up a bridge that never actually existed....madness.
    Read it a couple of years ago. Good book but I found it hard going to stick with it.

Reading Ghost Wars - A secret History of the CIA. It deals with the CIA's involvement in Afganistan from the start of the Soviet invasion until 2001. IT amazed me to find out just how long the CIA were tracking and trying to kill Osama before 9/11 and how many pointers they had that AL Queda were interested in using commercial aircraft as missiles.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublin12
    I'm going on holidays soon,can anyone recommend a good read that I can take with me,something easy on the head like.
    Depend's where your going. I went to the Balkan's last year and so while their which a natural interest in history and particularly that of the Balkan's I read a book before I went just to get a feel for the place.Its always important you don't get led to the places most frequented by creating your own journey. Scary as that seemed in my instance.

I'll be heading to Nottingham for a game in the new season so naturally since I haven't got a round to it i'll take the Lonely Planet's Travel Guide Europe and likely 'Cloughie'. Not that Forest will be in Europe anytime soon. I guess I just like to have an insight into the place I may travel to.

I would really like to go to Peru and Chile I reckon i will do so in the future.I've read quite a bit on the places I'd like to go.Just haven't got away just yet.

B

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac
    i'm reading "the resteraunt at the end of the universe" by douglas adams, sirhamish sent it to me

i should really be reading my college textbooks, ive a SAD exa m tommorrow morning
    Hey GavinZac = glad it arrived. Had an unbelievable job getting someone to bring it to post office.
    Now, Corky Boy, put that book down RIGHT NOW and get back to yer study or I'll be round with a large stick and beat the hole off ya!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok
    Reading 'Hegemony or Survival' by Noam Chomsky.
    Basically it's a critique of American foreign policy from the late 1950s to the present, for anyone not familiar with Chomsky.

Just finished 'Star of the Sea' by Joseph O'Connor.
    Highly recommended.
    You just reminded me tiktok, I've three Chomsky books - must get round to reading them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Juggling a couple of books at the mo, might get back to reading them soon.

The Middle Mind - how consumer culture turned us into the living dead is one, can't remember the author - it's a take on how there is a dearth of imagination in politics, entertainment and academia in US life owing to the rush to mass produce - somewhat applicable here in Ireland. Enjoying it, his style is delightfully bitter.

Blinded by the Light a play by Dermot Bolger - I'm meant to be doing the lights for it, so I'm meant to be reading it. Currently just read page one - very promising so far I like a few of his plays, so I'm looking forward to sitting down and reading it properly.

Hedda Gabler a play by Henrik Ibsen - ditto, but I have read it before and done the lights for it not 10 months back, so that one is a real skim job. Cracker of a play though - really cuts through you in a good translation.

Ulysses by some dead white Dub - coming around to bloomsday, so I generally start reading and re-reading chunks at this time of year. SOme of it I love, other parts I find tedious and tiresome.

Don Quixote by Cervantes. Currently re-reading the first and greatest novel, in the new American translation, seeing as it turned 400 this year, hence the earlier trip to La Mancha. My favorite novel. An, by the way, the whole windmills thing lasts a grand total of one page!
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard
    My favorite novel. An, by the way, the whole windmills thing lasts a grand total of one page!
    I share your pain.
    'Gulliver's travels' is one of my favourites.

them - "is that the one where the tiny people tie down the giant?"
    & me - "yes, but other stuff happens too"
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Not a great book reader but read the odd one - prefer factual stuff myself or true stories.

Would be interested in reading about someones struggle to beat the booze? Any recommendations ?

Btw also read a secret history of the ira - would recommend it big time

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Two nights into the da Vinci Code. Great read. Real page turner. Short snappy chapters, perfect for bed time reading.
    Injustice anywhere threatens justice everywhere - Martin Luther King Jnr.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    have to say the fantastic four anthology was great recently!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair_play_boy
    Two nights into the da Vinci Code. Great read. Real page turner. Short snappy chapters, perfect for bed time reading.
    Read all 4 of Dan Drown's books, a lot of people don't like him but I really enjoyed them, I think Angels and Demons is slightly better then The Da Vinci code though!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard
    Hedda Gabler a play by Henrik Ibsen - ditto, but I have read it before and done the lights for it not 10 months back, so that one is a real skim job. Cracker of a play though - really cuts through you in a good translation.
    Not read that, enjoyed A Doll's House (is that still running at the Abbey? Dr. Rank and I are kindred spirits) and The Lady from the Sea.

One book I'd recommend to anyone without hesitation is John Berger's and our faces, my heart, brief as photos. A slim volume of around 100 pages, but containing breathtaking insights into art, exile and nature (amongst other topics), interspersed with snatches of, frankly, less than inspiring verse.

I'm no aficionado of visual art, but it's impossible not to be moved by Berger's passionate advocacy of Caravaggio and Van Gogh (for whom, Berger claims, the act of painting was directly analogous to the labour of the peasantry he depicted.) Unfortunately, the entire work is let down somewhat by a woefully bathetic final sentence ("With you I can imagine a place where to be phosphate of calcium is enough" )
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I just finished Servants of The People by Andrew Rawnsley, a really good book about the workings of New Labour, and the relationship between Brown and Blair.

Currently reading the new Artemis Fowl book , i just find them to be really imaginative and fun. Makes a change from Machiavelli for Politics at school .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=jofyisgod]I just finished Servants of The People by Andrew Rawnsley, a really good book about the workings of New Labour, and the relationship between Brown and Blair.

Must check that book out - he writes a great article in each Sunday's Observer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nearly finished '' Robert Emmet the making of a legend'', and have got ''The ''Emmet rising in Kildare'' waiting to read next.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    just read shantaram by by gregory david roberts true story about an ussie on the run in india in the 80's and just fininshed bird song by sebastian faulks real melencholy stuff about ww1
    save the sheep shaggers bring back beheadings for waherford

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i read fight club a few weeks back, excellent stuff.. and for some reason i'm reading the scripts from Red Dwarf series 8....

highbrow stuff indeed
    Whatever it was I am sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Reading "Three musketeers" by Dumas.. Really a great book, wonderful pace during the story..

Just finished "Idle thoughts of an idle fellow" an "Three men in a boat", both by Jerome Klapka Jerome. Extraordinary books in my opinion!
    I'm 21, I'm italian, but I love Ireland, and I always support the irish national team!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast