2 11.11%
  • Lee O'Connor

10 55.56%
  • Callum Robinson

0 0%
  • Kieran O'Hara

1 5.56%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v New Zealand - Dublin - 14th November 2019 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts

Republic of Ireland v New Zealand - Dublin - 14th November 2019 - Friendly

Much to address in this game.

I doubt too many will dispute that Randolph, Doherty, Duffy, Egan & Stevens all start against Denmark. There may be another defender in there if we play a back 3 again, but either way I'd expect those 5 to be watching on from the stand for the New Zealand game. Clark has got back in at Newcastle so perhaps a good opportunity to bring him back in. Possibly do the same with Brady or left back, or take the chance to cap Ryan Manning.

We need an alternative to Whelan. He's still the best we have in that role an will play v Denmark. I reckon we maybe use this friendly to give Lenihan a full 90 minutes there. The rest of the midfield is a mess. The calls for Byrne to get a chance should be heeded in this one. He does deserve an opportunity.

I liked the work O'Dowda did tonight and as it stand I would be all for playing him against Denmark. I'd play him in this as well. The same applies to Robinson on the other flank. That left seems to be his best position so I'd give him a run there.

And up front I think the last few games exposed Collins. He's no alternative to McGoldrick and isn't ever likely to be. On the basis of that and how well Idah has done for the U21s I'd give him a senior cap in this. It would be great for his development i think. .

----------- Travers ----------
    Christie Long Clark Manning
    ----------- Lenihan ----------
    ------- Browne Byrne -------
    O'Dowda ---------- Robinson
    ------------- Idah ------------

When i look at that team I think it exposes the lack of strength in depth in our squad. But that won't change until we starting giving the young lads a chance to force their way in.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    I'd love it if the Crowley and Johansson cases could be sorted in our favour by that time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I'd love it if the Crowley and Johansson cases could be sorted in our favour by that time.
    That would be fantastic but it seems unlikely at the pace these things usually tend to move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    So. Does Parrott start v NZ? I would really love to see him start alongside Connolly. It would be a real statement of intent.

6. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    I think starting him and Connolly is a bit much. I think you need to have a core of the national team there to give value to blooding new players.

But then I thought the team v Bulgaria was a bit much too.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mann...denmark-squads
    Provisional Ireland squad v New Zealand and Denmark
    Goalkeepers: Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth), Kieran O’Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United), Keiren Westwood (Sheffield Wednesday), Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool).
    Defenders: Matt Doherty (Wolves), Cyrus Christie (Fulham), John Egan (Sheffield United), Shane Duffy (Brighton & Hove Albion), Kevin Long (Burnley), Enda Stevens (Sheffield United), Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers), Ciaran Clark (Newcastle United), Derrick Williams (Blackburn Rovers), Ryan Manning (QPR), Nathan Collins (Stoke City)
    Midfielders: Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United), Glenn Whelan (Hearts), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Robbie Brady (Burnley), James McClean (Stoke City), Jeff Hendrick (Burnley), James McCarthy (Crystal Palace), Alan Judge (Ipswich Town), Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers)
    Forwards: Aaron Connolly (Brighton & Hove Albion), David McGoldrick (Sheffield United), James Collins (Luton Town), Sean Maguire (Preston North End), Callum Robinson (Sheffield United), Aidan O’Brien (Millwall), Kieran Sadlier (Doncaster Rovers), Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth), Shane Long (Southampton), Michael Obafemi (Southampton), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    So. Does Parrott start v NZ?
    The way Mick is talking, I'd be surprised if he doesn't. It seems like he wants to take a proper look at him.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think starting him and Connolly is a bit much. I think you need to have a core of the national team there to give value to blooding new players.

But then I thought the team v Bulgaria was a bit much too.
    Some of it depends if Randolph makes it.if he doesn't I'd be starting with the back 5/6 that will be facing Denmark. That might allow room for experimentation further forward.

Something like...

-‐---------------- Westwood ----------------
    Doherty -- Duffy -- Egan -- Stevens
    ------ Byrne Lenihan Hourihane -----
    ----- O'Dowda Parrott Connolly -----

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    So. Does Parrott start v NZ? I would really love to see him start alongside Connolly. It would be a real statement of intent.
    Parrott can do with games of senior football . Ireland have the chance to do that . Why not give him a game ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    The way Mick is talking, I'd be surprised if he doesn't. It seems like he wants to take a proper look at him.
    This is the Mick I remember from last time. Everyone remembers that he threw Robbie Keane and Duffer in, but there were others. David Connolly, Keith O'Neill, Mark Kennedy etc

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Are you completely ruling out the possibility that both could start against Denmark, if things go well for Parrott (in particular) against NZ? It'd be interesting to know what way Mick is thinking on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Personally, there's no way I'd start both. It's too important a game for two teenagers with 281 minutes of senior league action between them. I know we're not blessed with options up front at the moment, but I still think that to start both would give us a big hill to climb in a game we must win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Personally, there's no way I'd start both. It's too important a game for two teenagers with 281 minutes of senior league action between them. I know we're not blessed with options up front at the moment, but I still think that to start both would give us a big hill to climb in a game we must win.
    I think it's highly unlikely too but I'd be very disappointed if Connolly didn't start against Denmark at this stage. So that just begs the question - where does Parrott fit in? Is he having a look with a view to possibly using him in the potential playoffs, or to come on against Denmark if required? Obviously a lot will probably depend on how Parrott fares against NZ, I'm just curious as to the way Mick might be thinking.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    I don't see a problem with a half apiece for Connolly/Parrott against NZ.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    game is the same day as the U21s face Armenia away in the U21 qualifiers, little disappointed that Connolly and Parrott more than likely will not be involved in that, but it gives an opportunity to Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi, etc, to impress in the qualifier
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I think it's highly unlikely too but I'd be very disappointed if Connolly didn't start against Denmark at this stage. So that just begs the question - where does Parrott fit in? Is he having a look with a view to possibly using him in the potential playoffs, or to come on against Denmark if required? Obviously a lot will probably depend on how Parrott fares against NZ, I'm just curious as to the way Mick might be thinking.
    He would replace McGoldrick I guess, with 20 mins to go

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    He would replace McGoldrick I guess, with 20 mins to go

According to the press article today Pochetino see Parrot as a replacement for Eriksen not an alternative to Kane. Maybe he can impact a game and score goals playing in a deeper number 10 or midfield role. He is a technically gifted player and still only 17. We shouldn't be pigeonholing him too early. (I can feel some dreadful bird puns brewing a la Connor Sammon)

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    546 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    According to the press article today Pochetino see Parrot as a replacement for Eriksen not an alternative to Kane. Maybe he can impact a game and score goals playing in a deeper number 10 or midfield role. He is a technically gifted player and still only 17. We shouldn't be pigeonholing him too early. (I can feel some dreadful bird puns brewing a la Connor Sammon)
    I hope he can make that perch his own .

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Y'know, it's a particularly difficult one for Parrott. He has such an ability to score goals that managers will be prone to playing him at 9. But he could have skills, at senior level, that lend him more to being a 10. For now, whilst he is ripping it up scoring goals in the under 21 internationals and youth UEFA competitions then it is hard to resist playing him further forward.

However, Harry Kane is probably also capable of playing at both 9 and 10 but he's very capable of leading the line so ends up at 9. Can Parrott develop that in senior football? Maybe he can but he's in an awkward position for now.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    game is the same day as the U21s face Armenia away in the U21 qualifiers, little disappointed that Connolly and Parrott more than likely will not be involved in that, but it gives an opportunity to Idah, Cassidy, Afolabi, etc, to impress in the qualifier
    Won't Parrott be suspended for the Armenia game after being sent off against Italy?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

29. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast