Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Denmark - Dublin - 18th November 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Wait for the pathetic like for like substitutio from mick
    McClean got to subbed before he gets a red.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Doherty made up for his mistake there.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    YES!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    That's pretty much as good as it gets for us. Unfortunately, our toothlessness up front costs us big time.
    Last edited by The Fly; 18/11/2019 at 9:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Played a bit of football tonight , wonder would we beat the likes of Gibraltar by more than 1 if we tried every match

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    They put a massive shift in and we were the better team.

Desperate for a goal scoring forward to play with McGoldrick.

Doherty needs to start from now on, Coleman may be captain but Doherty is playing the better football.

Don’t think the Browne/Hourihane picks worked.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Fair killed themselves in the last ten minutes but we don't have that star to rescue the situation. That recovery tackle from McClean is probably why he's in the team I suppose.

No more Denmark please. I'm utterly sick of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    A heroic failure. Again.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    A valiant effort, a bit of sloppy play at times but this was always a big ask.

I guess I am now forced to figure out how the play offs work, something I have been dreading.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Came close in the end. Decent spell from about 50-65 or 70, then when they scores you think it's all over. But we came back as we do, and really had them rattled after the goal.

Thought McGoldrick did well, though dropped too deep at times. Thought Maguire did well when he came on. Doherty slipped up for the goal but was great going forward.

That last 5 minutes shows why McClean is in the team, even though he is so so limited. Turns up in the right full position to pressure the Danish winger, then is the guy bursting a gut to track back and stop a counter.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Gutted, but very proud of the team for the first time since maybe the euro game vs Italy. Brilliant performance in comparison to what we are used to. We will never score much. Its international football. But tried valiantly and almost forced one or two more.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    A great performance. Just didn't get the break, luck still plays a role in this game. I thought Enda Stevens had great game, I know everyone is raving about Doherty who had great 2nd half, apart from that lapse in concentration.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    A heroic failure. Again.
    This is it. A third 1-1 draw where we equalised with a late header after a spirited comeback too. We're nothing if not predictable.

Mick has done a good job overall, and I'm not sold on the idea of replacing him already. Certainly this performance was completely different to a MON one. But in the end of the day, we just don't have the players. That's the result of 20 years of FAI mismanagement, and it'll take more than a Parrott or Connolly to change that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Reasonable performance against a subpar Danish team. Not bad given the clear limitations of our midfield and forwards. We have less of a chance of qualifying now, than we had before tonight, but you never know.

Badly need a supporting striker with McGoldrick, hopefully Connolly and Parrott will be strong options for the playoffs. Randolph should have done better for their goal, but yes Doherty lost his man and it was mainly his fault. This was our strongest back 4 (by default) and should remain like this into playoffs. Clark was pretty solid when he came on. Cullen will (and needs to) replace Whelan, I believe Whelan has stated this will be his last “big” game. He has been a great servant. The playoff game will come too soon for Molumby. Again Hourihane and Hendrick not up to much. Hendrick was so far forward in second half, why didn’t Mick just bring on a natural no 9 in his place sooner? Maguire seemed to be playing wide right when he came on which was odd. I appreciated McCleans right back harrying and last ditch covering on the left in the dying minutes, but he should not start another game. It was a difficult ask of Browne to play wide right. We will have to wait and see over the next few months to see what to do with our winger positions, pretty problematic at the moment. McGoldrick looked good, just lacked the appropriate support.

I will be glad to see the back of Mick next summer. I am thankful that he has introduced some new youngsters however so the last 2 years won’t have been a complete waste of time if we don’t qualify. Brighter days ahead for us very soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Can't fault the performance at all. Still disheartening. Just seems when we play out of our skins we get draws and when opponents play out of their skins we get dicked.

While I'm being glib and defeatist -we now need to produce 2 more consecutive performances of that calibre to qualify when stats suggest we have a single isolated performance of that calibre every 3.5 to 4 years.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I'm a bit frustrated with Mick's interview on Sky afterwards. I know I probably shouldn't hang too much on mundane comments made straight after a match, but it was words to the effect of "if we play like that we can beat anybody (in the playoffs)".
    History, of the distant, recent and of the 5-minutes-ago kind, suggest otherwise. We have an endless capacity for heroic draws. They don't usually get us to tournaments.

I agree with other posters on here that Denmark are ordinary.
    Having said that, I think most of us also recognise that our current squad is one of the weakest we've had in recent years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I honestly don’t know what more Mick could do. This is an extremely limited squad, certainly on the offensive side, and he’s brought our team spirit and organization back. We can get incremental arguments going about certain players but my sense is that he’s getting the best of a very limited bunch.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Genuine question - is the team spirit what it should/could be?
    Mick has picked it up from where it was with MON, but tbh I expected more from Mick in terms of motivation. The only other time I felt it in this campaign was in Denmark, where I thought we played pretty well (considering) and obvs forced a late equaliser. But home to Swiss, and especially in Georgia and away in Switzerland I thought it was distinctly lacking. I almost never get a 'team spirit' vibe from Hendrick or Hourihane and I thought Doherty had a sort-of sullen demeanour all night tonight too (I don't often watch Wolves matches - is he always like this? I hadn't noticed it before in highlights)

But i'm just watching it at home in the UK on a cr*p laptop. Conscious that several of you will be much closer to it and perhaps feel more positivity than I'm getting.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Finished runners up in World Cup group with MON. Now third in Euros group with Mick Mac. Can hardly call it an improvement.

Maybe we could have just gone with Kenny from the start, and not have to sit through two more years of put em under pressure ******.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think it was just a stressful/intense/tight match so I don’t know exactly what you’re looking for in terms of expressions on players faces.

Personally I evaluate team spirit based on the team’s fight and willingness to continue pushing forward to the end — that was there tonight and has been there throughout the campaign.

In my view our biggest issue has been a lack of quality, not a lack of effort, poor tactics, or low morale.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast