Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Denmark - Dublin - 18th November 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Doherty sat out most of the qualifiers on the bench.

You'd have to think after his performance tonight that we might have picked up some more points with him in the side.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    I thought we were great tonight. Just a bad goal to concede cost us

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    When Brian Kerr finished third in a group, the knives were out.

Teflon Mick

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Ah, the squad Kerr had was much better, and we had a irritating habit of squandering leads by playing overly conservatively once we scored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    When Brian Kerr finished third in a group, the knives were out.

Teflon Mick
    Kerr finished fourth
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Doherty sat out most of the qualifiers on the bench.

You'd have to think after his performance tonight that we might have picked up some more points with him in the side.
    But Doherty (and Duffy) was at fault for Denmark’s goal

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    That's because we were going full out for the three points and Duffy and Doherty were attacking as well as defending. They were tired.

It's clear as day that Doherty is one of the top players in the squad if not or best player at this stage. If he had been playing in all matches then we'd have had more to offer in terms of football.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Finished runners up in World Cup group with MON. Now third in Euros group with Mick Mac. Can hardly call it an improvement.

Maybe we could have just gone with Kenny from the start, and not have to sit through two more years of put em under pressure ******.
    I'd love if we played more put 'em under pressure stuff. The problem is we still have the Trap mindset of sitting deep and being compact. Maybe it makes sense against big sides but Denmark ain't one, albeit in Eriksen they have a player who can tear you apart if you make mistakes.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Maguire seemed to be playing wide right when he came on which was odd.
    He's played wide on both sides a lot for Preston, to be fair. Has played nine a bit recently but usually it's Barkuizen with Maguire off the right or left.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Frustrating game as I think Denmark were there to be beaten but we just lack the bit of extra quality they showed for their goal. If that hadn't gone in I think we could easily have nicked it but it was a poor enough game in which we were just slightly better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Disappointing to hear the result when I came home from work but encouraged by the reports that we went down fighting, at least. So what are our chances of qualifying through the play-offs? Well, there's no room for error and we will have win the first game away from home (on penalties, if need be). But we will be playing teams of a similar quality as Denmark, who we got two 1-1 draws against in this campaign, albeit playing on the back foot in the away match. And our squad will hopefully be significantly better in four months for the following reasons
    1. Players who haven't played much of a role in this campaign due to injury who will hopefully be back to their best by then: Clark, Brady, McCarthy, Long
    2. Experienced players in their first full season in the Premier League and will hopefully be a little better after 15 more games or so: Stevens, Egan, Hourihane, Robinson, McGoldrick
    3. Teenaged strikers who have just broken through or may break through before March: Connolly, Obafemi (also hampered by injury) and Parrott - outside chance of Afolabi and/or Idah breaking through also
    I do expect, based on this and the fact that this team as a whole is more battle-hardened than they were at the outset of the campaign, that we stand a fair chance of getting through, but everybody will have to be close to their best, at least.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd love if we played more put 'em under pressure stuff. The problem is we still have the Trap mindset of sitting deep and being compact. Maybe it makes sense against big sides but Denmark ain't one, albeit in Eriksen they have a player who can tear you apart if you make mistakes.
    The biggest misconception of put 'em under pressure is that it was a brainless tactic imbued by a tactically deficient coach (Charlton) in order to empower a technically inferior strategy. When in fact it was in part a press high strategy and lets play the technically minded football in their half.
    Our problem last night especially in the first half before the Danes retreated was showing for the ball in midfield. The back 4 tossed the ball around but nobody showed from midfield to take it further. There was a centre midfield avoidance strategy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    The central midfield is where football matches has been controlled since the dawn of man. We insist on playing players that there who have all the control of an incontinent geriatric.
    Irish international sport is in thrall to the idea that you must reward loyalty over form. Both the rugger & football have fallen down because of this. You hear constantly from arseholes like Liam Brady that Ireland don't have the players,but how will we ever know if we keep picking airheads like Hendrick & cavemen like McClean...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    very good performance but just didn't have the required quality needed to get another goal.
    denmark were there for the taking but mainly because of the pressure we put on them. it was amazing the amount of times we won the ball back off them / won 50/50s on the ground.
    our players sheer desire was excellent.

one real annoyance was that Schmeichel was booked for time wasting in added time yet the ref actually blew up just before the 4 added mins was up rather than add on anything for the time wasting. every yellow card in added time should result in 30 secs being added. small point but him getting the yellow card simply wasted more time
    Last edited by jbyrne; 19/11/2019 at 8:13 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Agree with lots of comments about that one of the biggest difference in performance last night was that generally we didn’t sit back but instead put pressure on the man on the ball. Simple stuff but very effective.

As the game wore on I thought we became much better at using our best strength, the full backs/wings. Would like to see much more deliberate play getting the ball into the wings in the attacking quarter. Doherty in particularly grew into the game and really began to impose himself as the game went on seeing plenty of ball down the wing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Looking forward to March it’s clear that Mick isn’t going to make wholesale changes, we aren’t going to ditch 6 or 7 players unless there was a massive injury crisis but we do need to make 2 or 3 changes. Midfield is clearly still an issue and we’ll need a striker in the box to play off McGoldrick who had another good game last night.

I’d like to see Cullen come in and for the 9 it would have to be Connolly assuming he’s fit. Mick isn’t going to chuck Parrott in unless he got some sort of loan move and was banging in the goals.

The GK and back 4 picks itself. McGoldrick is a bolter and McClean for his work rate if fit will be in so that is 7. The other 4 slots IMO are up for grabs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    The central midfield is where football matches has been controlled since the dawn of man. We insist on playing players that there who have all the control of an incontinent geriatric.
    Irish international sport is in thrall to the idea that you must reward loyalty over form. Both the rugger & football have fallen down because of this. You hear constantly from arseholes like Liam Brady that Ireland don't have the players,but how will we ever know if we keep picking airheads like Hendrick & cavemen like McClean...
    I thought Hendrick was good last night, especially in the second half. Tidy feet in tight spaces, can hold up the ball while defenders are recovering, get it to another player in a green shirt. Plays football, in other words. The problem is that Hendrick doesn't slot into our caveman formation. Only Roy Keane or John Giles can slot into a non-existent midfield and dictate the match all by themselves. We can't be expecting that of Hendrick or any other Irish midfielder. We need a plan, and then we can get the most out of handy midfielders like Hendrick. James McCarthy got the same criticism. Why isn't he single-handedly taking the game by the scruff of the neck and winning it for us. Because he's not a once in a generation top class midfielder. But he is a very good midfielder nonetheless. Give these guys a plan, surround them by fellow ball playing footballers and they will shine. Surround them by the likes of McClean and Whelan and have them run themselves into the ground, then you see what happens.

The sooner Kenny comes in, the better. 12 years of Trap, MON and now Mick Mac. I must have sinned something terrible in a previous life. Nights like Lille or potentially tonight if we had won, it doesn't make up for the systematic ruin that is Irish football.
    Last edited by brine3; 19/11/2019 at 10:21 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I Think having an almost completely new backline last night, in terms of none having played together before didn't help. Denmark had one chance and took it, had we gone ahead they'd have come at us much stronger. They were very happy to just sit back and secure a draw. I really dont like the Denmark football team or anything to do with them. THey are a very arrogant bunch. Denmark are an extraordinary average side. We should have taken them last night, i txtd mates with about 15 mins gone saying they have no fight in them and are there for the taking but we will end up regretting not taking them. Which is exactly how I feel this morning.

Randolph slows us down way too much, I think Kingdom mentioned that before here, and he was spot on. Robinson was in acres of space and roaring for it, it would have been a counter attack with a 1 v 1 and randolph chose to hold onto it and wait for everyone to get back into position, he did this far too often last night but that was the glaring one.

We clearly hadn't practiced certain scenarios, players were happy to accept corners time and again instead of taking on their man and fashioning a cross. It was very frustrating to watch at times. I felt like us against Georgia where georgia could have played for 5 hours and still wouldnt have scored. The amount of crosses we then did hit in that were aimed at no one, this is fairly basic stuff that we couldnt get right. And the amount of times the ball dropped around the 6 yard box and no one there to get on the end of it.

Whatever you say about the performance, Denmark let us play in front of them, and didnt even go in for most 50/50 challenges. Had Denmark needed a win things would have been very different.

Maybe we can penaltilise our way to the Euros but I very much doubt it.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 19/11/2019 at 10:31 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The biggest misconception of put 'em under pressure is that it was a brainless tactic imbued by a tactically deficient coach (Charlton) in order to empower a technically inferior strategy. When in fact it was in part a press high strategy and lets play the technically minded football in their half.
    Our problem last night especially in the first half before the Danes retreated was showing for the ball in midfield. The back 4 tossed the ball around but nobody showed from midfield to take it further. There was a centre midfield avoidance strategy.
    This was interesting because even as we played the ball across the back 4 we always hit slow ball to the closest man, even taking out one of our own and going for the 2nd nearest man we would have moved them around more easily. Instead we just played simple passes over and back that were doing nothing for penetration. Hendrick did come a few times for passes but he wasn't passed to. We tried to play around them down the sides, but you cant do that if you dont play quick ball. It was all over laboured and slow. Its not just about lads looking for possession and having the confidence. its about the player passing having the confidence in their colleague - which they clearly don't and that must come from somewhere. Funny thing with hendrick was he can't seem to pass the ball or get on it when he is in midfield, but when he was pushed up in the second half he had lovely touches and technique and controlled the ball perfectly, which to me seems like a more much difficult thing to do than take the ball turn and find a pass i.e. i dont think its a case of not having players of quality.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    The sooner Kenny comes in, the better. 12 years of Trap, MON and now Mick Mac.
    ..... and before that all the previous managers who were blamed for all our footballing woes.
    I give it three matches before Kenny gets the same treatment as all our previous managers (with the possible exception of Jack) have received.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast