Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Denmark - Dublin - 18th November 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

  1. #1
    First Team backstothewall's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    153
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    438
    Thanked in
    293 Posts

    Republic of Ireland v Denmark - Dublin - 18th November 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

    It comes down to this then. Deja vu all over again.

    I wouldn't mind at all if something happens to Eriksen between now and then.

    I think we have a decent shot at it though. Last time we were a better finish from McClean away from being 2-0 up. If we had managed that I don't think they would have gotten back into it.

    It feels hopeless tonight but by the time it comes around we will have licked our wounds and believe again. Lansdowne Road will be bouncing. If only because we don't know how to do anything else.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 15/10/2019 at 11:37 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #2
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    30,365
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,664
    Thanked in
    1,659 Posts
    We haven't beaten Denmark in a competitive game since 1979. More importantly, we haven't beaten them in the 5 recent competitive games and, truth be told, haven't looked like beating them.

    We have gotten 4 draws in that time, but the one defeat was the one time we needed a win.

    Not optimistic at all here unfortunately

  4. #3
    Seasoned Pro ifk101's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2003
    Posts
    3,275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    82
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    349
    Thanked in
    210 Posts
    I can't find positives or reason for optimism. Going to be hard to score, let alone win the game in the absence of our best striker - Duffy.

  5. #4
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    30,365
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,664
    Thanked in
    1,659 Posts
    Duffy's not suspended

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #5
    Seasoned Pro jbyrne's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Baile Átha Cliath
    Posts
    3,031
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    504
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    663
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    We haven't beaten Denmark in a competitive game since 1979. More importantly, we haven't beaten them in the 5 recent competitive games and, truth be told, haven't looked like beating them.

    We have gotten 4 draws in that time, but the one defeat was the one time we needed a win.

    Not optimistic at all here unfortunately
    we had a worse record against germany before we beat them at home.
    bad away record against decent opposition for almost 30 years until we beat both austria and wales away.
    all this in the last 4 years.

    records are there to be broken...... believe!!

  8. Thanks From:


  9. #6
    Reserves EAFC_rdfl's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Athlone/Loughrea
    Posts
    806
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,956
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    73
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Would sooner see Schmeichel missing than Eriksson, given how few chances we create. You'd need 4 or 5 clear cut ones to have any hope of getting 1 past him
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

  10. #7
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    227
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    33
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    91
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Delaney’s the key man for me, if he gets to stride through midfield unopposed then we’re goosed, but neutralise him and Eriksson has to drop deeper. Given that we have to win I think we’ll have to abandon the holding midfielder in front of the defence role, and man-mark Delaney. To do it, we need someone with a massive engine, possibly two lads, one for each half. McCarthy would be plan A for me, hopefully he gets some game time between now and then.Plan B would be Arter, I don’t particularly rate him at this level but he’ll run all day and kick a fella when he needs a kick. Both of those options come with the caveat that they are now clearly lukewarm about turning up to play for us at all.
    Plan C and bottom of the barrel time would be McLean.If nothing else it’d stop him running the ball out over the by-line and killing the game dead every time we look like we might get a break.

  11. Thanks From:


  12. #8
    First Team backstothewall's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,038
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    153
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    438
    Thanked in
    293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Duffy's not suspended
    Told you. You getting more optimistic already!

  13. #9
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    17,034
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,700
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,735
    Thanked in
    2,126 Posts
    Just booked my flights.

  14. #10
    Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In the long grass
    Posts
    30,365
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,664
    Thanked in
    1,659 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Told you. You getting more optimistic already!
    Just been told Denmark have scored more competitive goals in Lansdowne in the last two years than we have.

    Optimism gone again!

  15. #11
    Capped Player DeLorean's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hill Valley
    Posts
    10,161
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,805
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,914
    Thanked in
    1,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Just been told Denmark have scored more competitive goals in Lansdowne in the last two years than we have.

    Optimism gone again!
    We'd prefer to be a part of these inaugural Nations League Playoff thingys anyway.

  16. Thanks From:


  17. #12
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,000
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    811
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    464
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    I see Westwood back today for sheff wed thank God hopefully stays fit given Randolph's fitness concern

  18. #13
    First Team Fixer82's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ceatharlach
    Posts
    1,994
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    686
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    480
    Thanked in
    324 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    I see Westwood back today for sheff wed thank God hopefully stays fit given Randolph's fitness concern
    Mick won’t pick him

  19. #14
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,000
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    811
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    464
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Mick won’t pick him
    Ah I'd say he will cause randolf will be a doubt even if he starts. I tink mick will get loyalty to touch now it's of no benefit to him I tink he will just pick the players he needs to get the job done I'd expect that to benefit lads like Westie, clarkie,mccarthie, Bradie, Longie and connollie maybe even obafemie

  20. #15
    Youth Team Fizzer's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    227
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    33
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    91
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Westwood isn’t good enough at this level for me. Eriksson would have a field day knowing that Westwood is often poor positionally and vulnerable to shots outside the box. His kicking isn’t bad if the intention is going to be to hoof it up top all night.
    His commitment to us has also always been dubious at best, he’ll be aware of the reality that even if we qualify, he could miss out on the final squad anyway. The one-off nature of the game against Denmark calls for players prepared to give total commitment to winning it.
    I’d give Travers or Kelleher a shot, they both look like lads who thrive on being busy and we’re going to be counting on them long-term. On their night, they both look like they could make a real difference. A good game from Travers in particular would be useful in terms of showing Eddie Howe how he performs under real pressure.A big international performance can go a long way to establishing a young keepers reputation when first-team opportunities are hard to get at club level. The long-term importance for us of having a keeper playing regularly in the premier league shouldn’t be underestimated.
    All of the other players you mention Liam, I’d start them all with the exception of Obafemi (who I’d spring from the bench for Brady/Connolly), and Clarke who was one of the first to run up the white flag in the home playoff.

  21. Thanks From:


  22. #16
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,000
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    811
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    464
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Westwood isn’t good enough at this level for me. Eriksson would have a field day knowing that Westwood is often poor positionally and vulnerable to shots outside the box. His kicking isn’t bad if the intention is going to be to hoof it up top all night.
    His commitment to us has also always been dubious at best, he’ll be aware of the reality that even if we qualify, he could miss out on the final squad anyway. The one-off nature of the game against Denmark calls for players prepared to give total commitment to winning it.
    I’d give Travers or Kelleher a shot, they both look like lads who thrive on being busy and we’re going to be counting on them long-term. On their night, they both look like they could make a real difference. A good game from Travers in particular would be useful in terms of showing Eddie Howe how he performs under real pressure.A big international performance can go a long way to establishing a young keepers reputation when first-team opportunities are hard to get at club level. The long-term importance for us of having a keeper playing regularly in the premier league shouldn’t be underestimated.
    All of the other players you mention Liam, I’d start them all with the exception of Obafemi (who I’d spring from the bench for Brady/Connolly), and Clarke who was one of the first to run up the white flag in the home playoff.
    Yeah agree with you on Clark he became a 5 a side player that night himself and ward went from hoof it the lenght of the pitch to just because Denmark equalised let's become tika taka kings out of the blue.

    On the keeper issue we are in dire straights if Randolph is out and I wood have Westwood's experience for such a big game over the other lads even though I think kelleher is quality

    Obafemi definitely as you say only on the bench but worth that to have pace to inject with 10 mins to go. Also allows you to k Connolly to start and still have that pace option off the benvh

  23. #17
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,892
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,708
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,052
    Thanked in
    3,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Ah I'd say he will cause randolf will be a doubt even if he starts. I tink mick will get loyalty to touch now it's of no benefit to him I tink he will just pick the players he needs to get the job done I'd expect that to benefit lads like Westie, clarkie,mccarthie, Bradie, Longie and connollie maybe even obafemie
    Still no place for Dohertie

  24. Thanks From:


  25. #18
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,000
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    811
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    464
    Thanked in
    311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Still no place for Dohertie
    I'd play mcgintie Instead!

  26. #19
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,416
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    631
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Stephen Henderson was on the bench for Palace today - would he be an option if Randolph isn't available?

  27. #20
    Reserves
    Joined
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    887
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    17
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    202
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Whatever keeper we play. Has to be playing week in week out

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Republic of Ireland V Switzerland- 5th September 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier
    By joe_denilson in forum Archived Match Threads
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 13/10/2019, 11:37 PM
  2. Republic of Ireland V Gibraltar - 10th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier
    By tetsujin1979 in forum Archived Match Threads
    Replies: 152
    Last Post: 18/07/2019, 5:02 PM
  3. Replies: 209
    Last Post: 18/07/2019, 4:57 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07/06/2019, 10:40 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07/06/2019, 11:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •