Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Denmark - Dublin - 18th November 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    The Swiss just scraped by Georgia yesterday so at least we don’t have to win by two, but I think we’ll need to score more than once to win. We haven’t had a decent performance in any of the group games yet that I can remember so it’ll take our best outing yet to do it, On the plus side, all of the Sheff Utd boys have found their stride, Clarke (if he plays) and Duffy are a goal threat, and there’s a couple of peripheral players in good form. On the downside......James McLean. He’s an honest lad but it has to be incredibly demoralising as a teammate to work hard to get the ball back just to see him kicking it to touch. Not to totally slag him off but he also missed major chances to put us two nil up against France at the euros and Denmark at home in the 5-1.
    I just wonder if Denmark needing a only a draw might mean they might start off cagey and give us a bit more possession than we’re used to.
    Thanks for the note on the goal difference. I was wondering that. I think a fair few players are on form currently so there is that.
    On James.. I love his work ethic but I think the capabilities of the squad around him has overtaken him at this stage of his career.
    We have this habit of hanging onto players because they might have a moment of magic every 5 games. I'd prefer to try out some youngster than give lads the impression they just need to show up. Also we might strike gold in terms of a young mentality giant who is up to it and can keep pace with ball control.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    With the play-off picture almost complete, which play-off path looks most promising? The League A path with Iceland and two from Bulgaria, Israel and Hungary, beginning with a home semi-final; or The League B path with Bosnia-Herzegovina and two from Wales, Slovakia and Northern Ireland, beginning with a semi-final away from home?
    league A. Wales and I guess Bosnia will have too much for us. Also as u said in path B we are away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Aren't we almost certain to be in the B path, due to the host nations clause?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    league A. Wales and I guess Bosnia will have too much for us. Also as u said in path B we are away
    Why would Wales and Bosnia have too much for us? We have beaten both very recently in competitive football.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I looked at the Wales team for last night. Hennessy, Davies, Mepham, Lockyer, Roberts, Ampadu, Morrell, James, Wilson, Bale and Kieffer Moore. Aside from James and Bale (and Ramsay who came in) they are terribly mediocre or inexperienced. Stevens and Coleman are also very good full backs and you could double McClean up with Stevens also to mitigate Bale. I don't understand why anyone would say that side "will have too much for us." It's only 3 years since we put Bosnia to the sword and they are sitting behind in Greece and Armenia in their group and were beaten 3-0 at home by Italy the other night. What is your rationale on guessing that they would beat us as well?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I looked at the Wales team for last night. Hennessy, Davies, Mepham, Lockyer, Roberts, Ampadu, Morrell, James, Wilson, Bale and Kieffer Moore. Aside from James and Bale (and Ramsay who came in) they are terribly mediocre or inexperienced. Stevens and Coleman are also very good full backs and you could double McClean up with Stevens also to mitigate Bale. I don't understand why anyone would say that side "will have too much for us." It's only 3 years since we put Bosnia to the sword and they are sitting behind in Greece and Armenia in their group and were beaten 3-0 at home by Italy the other night. What is your rationale on guessing that they would beat us as well?
    Wales have better players then us, some of their players are actually near world class, playing for Man utd, Chelsea, Juve and Real Madrid and the last time we played them they murdered us.. full blown murdered us . We will be playing them away in wales as well, so as I live on planet earth I believe they have too much for us.

Granted Bosnia is less clear but again we would be playing them away and they have players playing top level football across Europe. You failed to mention that in recent history they beat N. Ireland both home and away. They beat Austria and killed Finland. World beaters they are not but as things stand they are better then us.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Based on that post I would say that you're the heart and soul of any parties you attend on "planet Earth."

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Based on that post I would say that you're the heart and soul of any parties you attend on "planet Earth."
    well if we do somehow win tonight, there will be a party in my pants

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    byrne and parrott make the bench for tonight.
    Callum O'Dowda and Scott Hogan miss out. surprised at the odowda decision tbh

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    byrne and parrott make the bench for tonight.
    Callum O'Dowda and Scott Hogan miss out. surprised at the odowda decision tbh
    I have been a big fan of O'Dowda but he is one of those that Flatters to Deceive . He has been around it now quite a bit and hasn’t produced the goods .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    It also means McLean is sure to start

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    https://twitter.com/OCowzer/status/1...910974976?s=19

No midfield experiment tonight anyway.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Interesting to see that pair make way. They both came in against Switzerland. I agree with the decision but I'm just a bit surprised.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    A few of the top seeds/fancied teams struggled to win their group qualification deciders, but all came through in the end. Our game must be the one which provides the one obligatory upset.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I actually thought they both did well when they came on against the Swiss so fair play to Mick for not being afraid to change things.
    I think it’s the right call.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Aren't we almost certain to be in the B path, due to the host nations clause?
    Dan McDonnell piece in the Indo Playoff permutations.
    If we end up in the playoffs and Wales win - we'll be away to Slovakia.
    If Wales draw - we have to go to Cardiff.
    It gets complicated if Wales lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I wonder will Mick play Robinson and McGoldrick up top with them both interchanging between the no.9 and no.10 positions

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I wonder will Mick play Robinson and McGoldrick up top with them both interchanging between the no.9 and no.10 positions
    Good to have the focus on winning tonight's game rather than the play-off consolation option.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I'd certainly have kept O'Dowda in the squad. Based on Brady's performance on Thursday, I might prefer O'Dowda coming on out wide if the game opens up

Collins would have been the one to go for me. With McGoldrick, Robinson, Maguire, Parrott there's enough firepower.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Dan McDonnell piece in the Indo Playoff permutations.

If we end up in the playoffs and Wales win - we'll be away to Slovakia.
    If Wales draw - we have to go to Cardiff.
    It gets complicated if Wales lose.

Dale Johnson on twitter for espn writes a lot about this too. Says he’ll be shocked if UEFA let Ireland out of Path B.

It’s not the opposition that really concerns me. It’s more that we give up home advantage if stuck in Path B.

Whoever drawn into Path A will at least have home advantage.

Anyway, win tonight and an added bonus is we might get home advantage vs Spain at the Finals.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast