Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland v Denmark - Dublin - 18th November 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Westwood isn’t good enough at this level for me. Eriksson would have a field day knowing that Westwood is often poor positionally and vulnerable to shots outside the box.

I’d give Travers or Kelleher a shot, they both look like lads who thrive on being busy and we’re going to be counting on them long-term. On their night, they both look like they could make a real difference.
    I'd have a nervous breakdown if Kelleher was chosen for this one, to be honest. He doesn't look ready at all. I'd feel better about Travers, hopefully he could have a night like his debut against Tottenham. Completely disagree that Westwood isn't good enough for this level but he probably has exceeded the reasonable limit of dropouts at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I would be inclined to go with Westwood if he is available and willing. Travers and Kelleher look promising but neither of them are playing first team football regularly -- and unless we're desperate I'd be uncomfortable taking a risk for such a vital match.
    Last edited by irishfan86; 29/10/2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

3. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts

A good old school 39 man squad, good man Mick

Pos
    Player
    Date of Birth (age)
    Caps
    Goals
    Club
    GK Darren Randolph 12 May 1987 (age 32) 41 0 Middlesbrough
    GK Mark Travers 18 May 1999 (age 20) 1 0 Bournemouth
    GK Kieran O'Hara 22 April 1996 (age 23) 1 0 Burton Albion
    GK Keiren Westwood 23 October 1984 (age 35) 21 0 Sheffield Wednesday
    GK Caoimhín Kelleher 28 November 1998 (age 20) 0 0 Liverpool
    DF Matt Doherty 16 January 1992 (age 27) 8 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers
    DF Cyrus Christie 30 September 1992 (age 27) 24 2 Fulham
    DF John Egan 20 October 1992 (age 27) 7 0 Sheffield United
    DF Shane Duffy 1 January 1992 (age 27) 32 3 Brighton & Hove Albion
    DF Kevin Long 18 August 1990 (age 29) 12 1 Burnley
    DF Enda Stevens 9 July 1990 (age 29) 13 0 Sheffield United
    DF Darragh Lenihan 16 March 1994 (age 25) 2 0 Blackburn Rovers
    DF Ciaran Clark 26 September 1989 (age 30) 32 2 Newcastle United
    DF Derrick Williams 17 January 1993 (age 26) 2 0 Blackburn Rovers
    MF Ryan Manning 14 June 1996 (age 23) 0 0 Queens Park Rangers
    DF Nathan Collins 30 April 2001 (age 18) 0 0 Stoke City
    MF Callum O'Dowda 23 April 1995 (age 24) 17 0 Bristol City
    MF Conor Hourihane 2 February 1991 (age 28) 15 1 Aston Villa
    MF Josh Cullen 7 April 1996 (age 23) 1 0 Charlton Athletic
    MF Glenn Whelan 13 January 1984 (age 35) 90 2 Heart of Midlothian
    MF Alan Browne 15 April 1995 (age 24) 7 1 Preston North End
    MF Robbie Brady 14 January 1992 (age 27) 45 8 Burnley
    MF James McClean 22 April 1989 (age 30) 71 10 Stoke City
    MF Jeff Hendrick 31 January 1992 (age 27) 53 2 Burnley
    MF James McCarthy 12 November 1990 (age 28) 40 0 Crystal Palace
    MF Alan Judge 11 November 1988 (age 30) 8 1 Ipswich Town
    MF Jack Byrne 24 April 1996 (age 23) 1 0 Shamrock Rovers
    FW Aaron Connolly 28 January 2000 (age 19) 2 0 Brighton & Hove Albion
    FW David McGoldrick 29 November 1987 (age 31) 11 1 Sheffield United
    FW James Collins 1 December 1990 (age 28) 3 1 Luton Town
    FW Sean Maguire 1 May 1994 (age 25) 6 0 Preston North End
    FW Callum Robinson 2 February 1995 (age 24) 10 0 Sheffield United
    FW Aiden O'Brien 4 October 1993 (age 26) 5 1 Millwall
    FW Kieran Sadlier 14 September 1994 (age 25) 0 0 Doncaster Rovers
    FW Ronan Curtis 29 March 1996 (age 23) 3 0 Portsmouth
    FW Shane Long 22 January 1987 (age 32) 82 17 Southampton
    FW Michael Obafemi 7 June 2000 (age 19) 1 0 Southampton
    FW Troy Parrott 4 February 2002 (age 17) 0 0 Tottenham Hotspur
    FW Scott Hogan 13 April 1992 (age 27) 8 0 Stoke City

5 uncapped, 5 more with single cap, 5 more with < 5 caps, 7 more with < 10 caps
    Last edited by Closed Account; 29/10/2019 at 12:50 PM.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    There was no extended squad named last time out so Shane Long didn't have the change to be dropped for the final squad. Very hard to know, as a result, if he is seriously in Mick's plans.

Connolly and Didsy starting with Long off the bench sounds like a plan to me.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    James McCarthy has effectively ruled himself out of the game.I can understand his bit of trepidation given the injuries but we could badly do with him.We’re really short of options, much as I’m grateful for Whelan’s dedication, I just can’t see us winning this game with him playing another 90 he just slows the ball down too much.Mick’s going to have to take a chance on someone. As an aside, I think McGoldrick and Connolly might work pretty well together, McGoldrick’s quite neat and tidy and has a decent range of passing and can come deep and collect it. His finishing obviously isn’t great but you’d be looking to Connolly for that.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    surely now is the time for Josh Cullen to step in - blood him some more against NZ and then in for the crunch game.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    James McCarthy has effectively ruled himself out of the game.I can understand his bit of trepidation given the injuries but we could badly do with him.We’re really short of options, much as I’m grateful for Whelan’s dedication, I just can’t see us winning this game with him playing another 90 he just slows the ball down too much.Mick’s going to have to take a chance on someone. As an aside, I think McGoldrick and Connolly might work pretty well together, McGoldrick’s quite neat and tidy and has a decent range of passing and can come deep and collect it. His finishing obviously isn’t great but you’d be looking to Connolly for that.
    Definitely McGoldrick as no.10 behind Connolly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Squad named. Lee O'Connor to be included for NZ game before reverting to U21s for Sweden game. Great chance for him to increase his exposure and push for Celtic 1st team squad. Fair play to Mick. Clark and Brady back in. Parrott included as expected, again, a huge opportunity for him to kickstart his fledgling career. Jack Byrne makes final cut, good to see. Rest as expected with Mick at the helm (Hogan and Mahon ahead of Long). It is a large squad of 28, likely planning to play "B" team for NZ so needs additional numbers.

(Tets, if you could get rid of the additional attached image it would be great! Have difficulty working the uploading on this site. Thanks)
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 07/11/2019 at 1:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Might have been nice to take a look at Manning maybe against NZ but no major complaints, good to see Parrott and Byrne are in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Squad named. Lee O'Connor to be included for NZ game before reverting to U21s for Sweden game. Great chance for him to increase his exposure and push for Celtic 1st team squad. Fair play to Mick. Clark and Brady back in. Parrott included as expected, again, a huge opportunity for him to kickstart his fledgling career. Jack Byrne makes final cut, good to see. Rest as expected with Mick at the helm (Hogan and Mahon ahead of Long). It is a large squad of 28, likely planning to play "B" team for NZ so needs additional numbers.

(Tets, if you could get rid of the additional attached image it would be great! Have difficulty working the uploading on this site. Thanks)
    best I could do, couldn't find the original image, so I took that from twitter.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Manning is the big exclusion for me this time out. I thought he might get in for a look in NZ game. McCarthy, Long , Westwood and Arter being excluded doesn't come as a great surprise.

Great to see Parrott and Byrne in for a look and hopefully plenty time against NZ. There could be an exciting line-up for that game with Cullen, Byrne, Parrott, Williams, O'Connor, Brady and Maguire all surely likely to get a run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Great to see Parrott and Byrne in for a look and hopefully plenty time against NZ. There could be an exciting line-up for that game with Cullen, Byrne, Parrott, Williams, O'Connor, Brady and Maguire all surely likely to get a run.
    would like to see the team to play denmark play against NZ to work on a few things.
    throw on a few newer lads in the last 30 mins but we need to use the nz friendly to get a few things sorted for the denmark match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    would like to see the team to play denmark play against NZ to work on a few things.
    throw on a few newer lads in the last 30 mins but we need to use the nz friendly to get a few things sorted for the denmark match.
    Agreed. its all about the Denmark match and preparing for that, NZ too late for any 'experiments' unless somebody does something exceptional. We have what we have, lets go and make the best use of it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Feel a bit sorry for Cyrus Christie. Lee O'Connor hasn't really done much at club level to merit a place but can see the logic in it.

As for Shane Long being left out in favour of James Collins, that doesn't make any sense to me. James McCarthy is very disappointing, you'd wonder what's going on with him or with Mick, if there's some breakdown in relationship or if the player just doesn't want it. But if I was him, I'd want minutes on the pitch.

I'd also say to Kieran Westwood, the plan is to play you for 45 minutes against New Zealand and play Travers for 45 minutes against New Zealand and if Randolph isn't fit, we'll take it from there but we really need you. Travers still has a few weaknesses, particularly deciding whether to stay on his line or come and claim balls put into the danger zone, he still has a tendency to stick to his line more than is ideal.

Good to see Clarke and Brady back in the squad.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    James McCarthy is very disappointing, you'd wonder what's going on with him or with Mick, if there's some breakdown in relationship or if the player just doesn't want it. But if I was him, I'd want minutes on the pitch.
    we cant keep giving this as a reason / excuse for lads not turning up.
    Mick is an excellent man manager by all accounts.

some players would play on one leg...... others are just not that pushed really

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Does anyone have a times subscription? From last week https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/i...play-x9ttkgdd5 kinda weird

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    this is probably the most relevant quote from the piece for the upcoming games
    Clearly, club football is the priority for McCarthy at the moment. When he was named in the provisional squad for the last two competitive games, a conversation was had with his namesake Mick and the midfielder didn’t make the final list.

“I spoke to him[Mick] and he understands that I need to get back playing again,” McCarthy says. “I want to play week in week out and hopefully we can qualify for the Euros next summer with the game against Denmark, but I want now to stay injury free, get a run of games here at Palace and ensure that once I get in the team I can stay in the team.”
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I really don't blame James. I'm sure his view is that Hodgson has put so much faith in him, if he is going to get injured during his comeback, that should happen with Palace. Realistically if he is injured in the Denmark match, there is a good chance he will never play for Palace or in the Premier League again.

That might sound dramatic but I don't think it is.

The problem for us is -- if James becomes a first team regular with Palace after we qualify -- will Mick then bring James to the tournament?

It's all messy but I understand the position James has taken.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Doherty starts in Europa for Wolves, showing more ill effects after picking up a knock at weekend. Augurs well for Denmark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Disappointing that James McCarthy won't be available but I can't honestly say he'd make a huge difference to our midfield right now. Can't recal him having a standout game in a green shirt.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast