Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Switzerland v Republic of Ireland - Geneva - 15th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts

Switzerland v Republic of Ireland - Geneva - 15th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Time for a thread I thought.

Will Whelan start ?

Can we keep them at 0-0 till they get nervous ? Pressure on them all of a sudden now.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    I think the pressure is on both of us. We've both thrown away a decent position in the group yesterday.

A draw suits no-one I think. If we draw, we need to beat Denmark anyway - the draw in Switzerland doesn't help. And it means that the Swiss could get knocked out.

Current is -
    IRL 6-12
    DEN 6-12
    SUI 5-8

We draw on Tuesday and it's
    IRL 7-13
    DEN 6-12
    SUI 6-9

First November matchday is Denmark v Gibraltar and Switzerland v Georgia. We have to assume two home wins, which leaves -
    DEN 7-15
    IRL 7-13
    SUI 7-12

Then Switzerland beat Gibraltar on the final day, but if we beat Denmark then it's us and Denmark who qualify. (Any other result and it's Denmark and Switzerland who qualify)

The problem though is that Switzerland, away from home, were much better against Denmark and only for an exceptional performance from Schmeichel they would have won comfortably. If they - at home - match that performance, then we're in trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I think he'll start. He was caught out for pace yesterday but I don't think his was a poor performance by any means. Too many under par or anonymous contributions elsewhere.

It does indicate the pauciity of options that a 35 year old who's been released more times than Take On Me is considered the best option.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,911 Posts
    All the same I find it wierd that we can lose to the Swiss, beat Denmark at home and we qualify.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Connolly has to start and ideally Byrne for Hendrick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Stevens for Doherty will be the only change.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    476 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    Stevens for Doherty will be the only change.
    Collins will be dropped. It's his replacement that is question. Mick my break our hearts and go with Hogan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Collins will be dropped. It's his replacement that is question. Mick my break our hearts and go with Hogan
    Like he went for Cascarino against Croatia away instead of a young Robbie Keane

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    824 Posts
    Connolly is the best striker in the squad full stop. Hogan and Collins are both journeymen. Neither have a huge amount of international experience to act as a mitigating factor. Just pick the best effin player, everything else is BS.

Midfielder is more of a question. I absolutely think Hourihan should be dropped, would bring in Cullen or Browne instead. I think he will probably pick the same 3 though.
    I dont think Mcclean should ever start again for us, but McCarthy wont drop him so I expect him to start.
    Robinson needs to do more, hes been disappointing so far

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    I expect only two changes - Stevens for Doherty and Connolly for Collins. Would prefer if Cullen got a start over Whelan but I know Mick would never do that.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    I see this game as a free hit.

A draw is only of benefit in the sense that it guarantees that the Danes qualify so maybe they won’t be as difficult to beat in Dublin.

My worry is that even with the incentive of a win Mick will see the best way of achieving it as being backs to the wall / nick a goal from a corner. Personally I’d see it as a chance to be bold.

Regardess however, even if the game plan is to be cautious, McClean and Robinson were dreadful. Robinson can be mitigated by the fact that he’s not a winger and he received the ball tight to the touchline way too often.

With Stevens back I’d go 4-3-1-2, with Connoplly and Robinson up front, the same midfield 3 and Byrne in the advanced role. The full backs can supply the width. I’d even be tempted to go 3 at the back, such is the nature of the outcome – a loss means nothing really, there’s only upside. Imagine waking up on Wednesday with the job done!

It won’t happen of course but, think of the karma: Mick hounded out of Dublin in 2002 after a 2-1 home defeat to Switzerland…

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    I bought the Indo this morning to read on the tube: the rugby & football commentary was identical. The coach needs to be brave and pick an attacking team with intent to give it a go. Kearney seems to be the rugby “scapegoat”, Larmour the Connolly equivalent.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Connolly is the best striker in the squad full stop. Hogan and Collins are both journeymen. Neither have a huge amount of international experience to act as a mitigating factor. Just pick the best effin player, everything else is BS.

Midfielder is more of a question. I absolutely think Hourihan should be dropped, would bring in Cullen or Browne instead. I think he will probably pick the same 3 though.
    I dont think Mcclean should ever start again for us, but McCarthy wont drop him so I expect him to start.
    Robinson needs to do more, hes been disappointing so far
    All of what you say is on point, especially about midfield, but there is way more to it than that. People are talking about Connolly like he is going to take on 11 Swiss players on his own and win the game for us. The most important thing about tomorrow night is the game plan. We know we're going to be under long periods of pressure so who are the players to spring a counter attack? Who is the midfielder to demand the ball and hit crisp passes?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

A draw is only of benefit in the sense that it guarantees that the Danes qualify so maybe they won’t be as difficult to beat in Dublin.

My worry is that even with the incentive of a win Mick will see the best way of achieving it as being backs to the wall / nick a goal from a corner. Personally I’d see it as a chance to be bold.

Regardess however, even if the game plan is to be cautious, McClean and Robinson were dreadful. Robinson can be mitigated by the fact that he’s not a winger and he received the ball tight to the touchline way too often.

With Stevens back I’d go 4-3-1-2, with Connoplly and Robinson up front, the same midfield 3 and Byrne in the advanced role. The full backs can supply the width. I’d even be tempted to go 3 at the back, such is the nature of the outcome – a loss means nothing really, there’s only upside. Imagine waking up on Wednesday with the job done!

It won’t happen of course but, think of the karma: Mick hounded out of Dublin in 2002 after a 2-1 home defeat to Switzerland…
    Like myself you are calling for the inclusion of Byrne. Even a cameo appearance in Georgia would have boosted him for the Swiss game. With Byrne's potential in mind, it should be said that none of Hendrick, Whelan or Hourihane should be considered ahead of him, but we all know they will.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    All of what you say is on point, especially about midfield, but there is way more to it than that. People are talking about Connolly like he is going to take on 11 Swiss players on his own and win the game for us. The most important thing about tomorrow night is the game plan. We know we're going to be under long periods of pressure so who are the players to spring a counter attack? Who is the midfielder to demand the ball and hit crisp passes?
    Byrne!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Would also like to see Cullen or Browne start. Cullen has a lot of energy in the middle and he can also pick a pass. Browne is also a better option at this point than any of our current midfielders

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Byrne!!
    Yes Byrne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Hendrick hasn't played well since the 2016 Euros, he was walking at times on Saturday. Looked to have little interest, maybe that's a little unfair but that's how it looked. A fit McCarthy has to be a better option, he played for Palace in their last match.

I'd play Connolly on the left as Kenny did during the Toulon tournament, he's the closest I'd seen to a Duff type player, caused huge problems to each right back he was up against.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Hendrick is one of our most natural midfielders, but I feel that he is indeed getting frustrated at having to play stoneage football.

He's one that Stephen Kenny could revive...

I'd play 4-5-1 of some sort with three in the centre of the park. Hendrick, McCarthy and... one of the new lads. I feel that Whelan slows the whole game down to his level. We were lucky he was suspended against Germany back in 2015. MON would have picked him otherwise.

James McCarthy though, Hodgson was saying he's not ready for a weekly 90 minutes just yet.
    Last edited by brine3; 14/10/2019 at 2:44 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I'd play Connolly on the left as Kenny did during the Toulon tournament, he's the closest I'd seen to a Duff type player, caused huge problems to each right back he was up against.
    Mick not going to do that. Remember how many times he played Duff up front or on the right (!). All so he could have Kilbane covering for Harte.

Any sane manager would have recognised that Duff is one of the key players and needs to be played in his natural position, and then you make the team fit around that.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast