Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Switzerland v Republic of Ireland - Geneva - 15th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    With or without JB our football is pathetic.
    It just sums up McCarthy that he would pick a creative player to drop from the squad rather then any number of "battlers"
    I'm not suggesting JB should start and didn't even expect him to get on...it just sums up the attitude.
    roll on WC 2022 qualification matches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Yes. We do. In my case I want to do that much more than engage in a League of Ireland vanity project by picking a guy who has 1 senior cap to play central midfield in a game which is difficult and vital in equal measure.

It's Jack Byrne FFS. The way people are talking about him you would think he was one of the first names on the team sheet at Real Madrid.
    In his one international cap, Jack Byrne did what most of the rest of our midfield had never done.
    If we’re chasing a goal and need a creative spark, I’d like to bring on Byrne rather than Derrick Williams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    In his one international cap, Jack Byrne did what most of the rest of our midfield had never done.
    If we’re chasing a goal and need a creative spark, I’d like to bring on Byrne rather than Derrick Williams
    In the last 15 minutes against a second string Bulgarian side whose 1st XI are bobbins. Collins looked a terrific striker at the same time but looked totally out of his depth against Georgia.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Bulgaria may have been awful, but do we really think any of our other players would have looked better?

None did against Gibraltar!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Its not about JB its about that "type" of player and how we prefer any amount of water carriers to someone with a bit of creativity.
    We have consistently picked managers who think our players cant play football are crap and the only way to win is to go backs to the wall and try and knick a goal while the greatest fans in the world sing Ole Ole Ole.
    specifically on Byrne, against a brutal Bulgarian team he may have been flattered as they were so poor but how do all the other players on the pitch for Ireland that night who did'nt affect the game in any way get to play and make the bench tonight.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Its not about JB its about that "type" of player and how we prefer any amount of water carriers to someone with a bit of creativity.
    We have consistently picked managers who think our players cant play football are crap and the only way to win is to go backs to the wall and try and knick a goal while the greatest fans in the world sing Ole Ole Ole.
    who exactly has the creativity that we could actually pick that isn't being picked? I watched a few big rovers matches this season and Jack Byrne didn't dominate any of them.
    micks 98 to 2002 teams played some great football but he had the players to do it and probably the best central midfielder in Europe at the time to enable him do so.

We are away to one of the best teams in Europe tonight. our only hope is to bore the life out of the swiss and hope to get a goal along the way

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    who exactly has the creativity that we could actually pick that isn't being picked? I watched a few big rovers matches this season and Jack Byrne didn't dominate any of them.
    micks 98 to 2002 teams played some great football but he had the players to do it and probably the best central midfielder in Europe at the time to enable him do so.

We are away to one of the best teams in Europe tonight. our only hope is to bore the life out of the swiss and hope to get a goal along the way
    This might be way off but I wonder if Dan Crowleys application to FIFA had been submitted when it should have been, which would have been before Ryan Johansson- gate would he now be an option for us
    We know they gave the green light to Callum Robinson who is on the same boat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Bulgaria may have been awful, but do we really think any of our other players would have looked better?

None did against Gibraltar!
    There is an assumption there that Byrne would have looked any better against Gibraltar. But in any case it's irrelevant. The tail end of a friendly v Bulgaria in Dublin, an qualifier against a Gibraltar and a crucial away game in Geneva are about as different from each other as it's possible for 3 games to be.

If Connolly comes in I assume whoever misses out would be the attacking option from the bench. Otherwise Connolly would be that option. But it only comes into play if we are behind. If we are level we take our point and get back to Dublin.

I find it interesting that so many of the same people saying Whelan should be out because he's now playing in Scotland seem happy to ignore the fact Byrne failed to pull up many trees at the same level.

The reality is that the back 5 pick themselves. There are tight calls everywhere else. That being the case I can see that whatever Mick goes with it's a tight call and it could have gone either way.

There are 2 massive games to go. Let's just get behind them FFS.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Sorry, I assumed there was an issue with Byrne. It's just a numbers thing though, no? Stevens returns, Byrne makes way. Yopper led me to think it was for other reasons!
    Yopper asks you, with all due respect, to go back and notice the question mark at the of the first two words!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Noted!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    You are quite perceptive Fixer. J B did more in that game than any of our midfielders have ever done. He is more creative than a posse of Premier League players playing in green. I have lost a lot of faith in McCarthy in recent months, but I do give him credit for bringing Byrne into the squad. He should have had more games under his belt by now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Byrne is knocking on the door and should get 90 mins against New Zealand. I can see the case for him being involved tonight. But where I think it falls down is the notion that if we are chasing a goal we are going to put someone on who will try to "pick the lock".

More likely that we'll move Duffy up front and then it's bombs away.

We don't pick locks. We hit them with a sledgehammer.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    It's Jack Byrne FFS. The way people are talking about him you would think he was one of the first names on the team sheet at Real Madrid.
    This. You would swear it was Maradona people were talking about. I think it is fairly desperate that we would need to be relying on a half decent Shamrock Rovers player. Not saying he doesn't have ability but he really needs to be doing it at a much higher level. Richie Towell was excellent in the LOI but what is he doing now? Same applies to Daryl Horgan. Pat Hoban was at nothing in England but is a LOI star. The level these lads are at is not good enough to be playing for Ireland. It is far more shocking to me for Mick to be omitting Robbie Brady, James McCarthy, Shane Long, Ciaran Clark, Harry Arter and Keiren Westwood than omitting Jack Byrne.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 15/10/2019 at 3:56 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    This. You would swear it was Maradona people were talking about. I think it is fairly desperate that we would need to be relying a half decent Shamrock Rovers player. Not saying he doesn't have ability but he really needs to be doing it at a much higher level. Richie Towell was excellent in the LOI but what is he doing now, same applies to Daryl Horgan. Pat Hoban was at nothing in England but is a LOI star. The level these lads are at is not good enough to be playing for Ireland. It is far more shocking to me for Mick to be omitting Robbie Brady, James McCarthy, Shane Long, Ciaran Clark, Harry Arter and Keiren Westwood than omitting Jack Byrne.
    Nobody saying he’s Maradona but he’s a different type of midfielder than other ones we have.

I agree, Brady, Clark, McCarthy and Long should be in the squad.
    But they’re not.

Against Bulgaria Byrne did something that I can’t ever remember seeing Hendrick doing and that’s constantly looking for the ball.

Re Horgan, I don’t remember him ever letting us down and think he should’ve been given more caps.

At the same time, Callum Robinson is doing really well in The Premiership and hasn’t performed at all well for us.

International football suits some more than others.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    At the same time, Callum Robinson is doing really well in The Premiership and hasn’t performed at all well for us.
    I believe that is because he is playing in a very negative footballing International side. I don't ever remember the likes of Coleman (for example) having a real good game for Ireland in all his caps yet he is a decent full back for Everton. Once Kenny comes on board you will probably see the best of Robinson.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 15/10/2019 at 3:28 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I believe that is because he is playing in a very negative footballing International side. I don't ever remember the likes of Coleman (for example) having a real good game for Ireland in all his caps yet he is a decent full back for Everton. Once Kenny comes on board you will probably see the best of Robinson.
    Agreed re Robinson and half the rest of them, we are talking about Premier league players constantly kicking the ball away under Mick, if they were playing under a manager who believed in playing football they wouldn't do this because they would be hauled off.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Byrne is a better option than a 31 year old League 1 player who is not even getting off the bench for his club some weeks. But like stubborn auld fellas than came before him Mick has his favourites and Judge is one of his.

There have been a fair few players regularly picked in the last few years that everyone always complained about and were right too. Paul Green the best example under Trap. You can go back to Jonathan Douglas, Conor Sammon and a fair few others.
    Manager is not always right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Byrne is a better option than a 31 year old League 1 player who is not even getting off the bench for his club some weeks. But like stubborn auld fellas than came before him Mick has his favourites and Judge is one of his.

There have been a fair few players regularly picked in the last few years that everyone always complained about and were right too. Paul Green the best example under Trap. You can go back to Jonathan Douglas, Conor Sammon and a fair few others.
    Manager is not always right.
    I can't argue with this. Judge isn't the same player since the injury for me. But it's a marginal decision and a matter of opinion.

On another note it's been tipping it down in Geneva. The pitch is like a bog judging by the photos I've seen.

Which should suit us more than them I'd have thought.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I can't argue with this. Judge isn't the same player since the injury for me. But it's a marginal decision and a matter of opinion.

On another note it's been tipping it down in Geneva. The pitch is like a bog judging by the photos I've seen.

Which should suit us more than them I'd have thought.
    When its a marginal decision you have to look at the recent evidence and base your opinion on that. Both players played against Bulgaria, Judge was on the pitch for a lot longer and was very poor, Byrne came on and sparked the whole thing into life.

I dont want to keep comparing to Kenny and regard him as the messiah of Irish football but I look at his starting line up for the u21s tonight and he has dropped Ronan who is one of his favorites because he was poor against Italy. You have to pick the right team, with players in form and not just because they are your guys and you stick with them through thick and thin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    In the 2000s we played nice football under Mick. Has he changed or is he cutting his cloth due to the personnel available?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast