Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Switzerland v Republic of Ireland - Geneva - 15th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Don't like Mick's post-match interview. We played a totally untested system in the first half, he changed it at half time and we played marginally better. And in the interview he's saying it's mostly the players' fault that they played bad in the first half.

Did you ever see a top manager like Wenger or Ferguson throw his players under the bus like that? I sure as hell never did.
    I didn’t find anything wrong with it.
    He said he can’t accept responsibility for professional players not being able to pass 5 yards.
    The players have to stand up and accept that they were very poor in the first half.
    A system can’t work if the personnel can’t pass the ball properly or keep hoofing it out over the end line as John Egan and Jeff Hendrick did in the first half

2. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    although for what it's worth I thought Hogan did ok when he came on. He's got more pace than I realised (though that might just be on me for not knowing enough about our own squad)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Duffy is available to play
    Ah, great, ta

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipp Townie View Post
    although for what it's worth I thought Hogan did ok when he came on. He's got more pace than I realised (though that might just be on me for not knowing enough about our own squad)
    So did I, except for the time he drifted offside from our own free kick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    So did I, except for the time he drifted offside from our own free kick.
    Hogan played well. That wasn’t an offside. Terrible call by linesman

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I'd be more miffed that Scott Hogan gets in ahead of me if I were Maguire. I don't think he has the right to be miffed regarding Connolly.
    I think he has every right to be miffed about Connolly. Connolly will hopefully be a real success in the future but the vast majority of his experience has been at underage level. Maguire has been playing at a higher level for 2 years. And Hogan has more experience than the pair of them combined, albeit he is not doing great at present at club level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I think he has every right to be miffed about Connolly. Connolly will hopefully be a real success in the future but the vast majority of his experience has been at underage level. Maguire has been playing at a higher level for 2 years. And Hogan has more experience than the pair of them combined, albeit he is not doing great at present at club level.
    Maguire has had a few chances to prove himself at international level against poor opposition and hasn’t taken them.
    Connolly added energy and spark against Georgia so Maguire can’t be too upset.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    I think for the sake of his Club Career , Maguire cannot be risking his hamstrings . He probably would be as well to concentrate on club football and get as much career out of those hamstrings as he can .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    The premier league has been around for almost 30 years.
    No idea what you mean by that.

But yes, it has.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    I think Mick deserves some credit for accepting that Collins wasn't working out and giving him the hook at HT. I've seen several people in the past cristicising him for being too stubborn to make changes until too late.

I was advocating his subbing off, though I would personally have gone with Cullen to help Whelan in the middle and let the others get further up the pitch. I guess though that would look negative, bringing a DM on for a striker...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    No idea what you mean by that.

But yes, it has.
    Calling someone a bandwagon fan by joining something that's existed for that long is a bit meaningless. It's like complaining about all those people listening to Radiohead instead of *looks up new releases* Wild Youth
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I think Mick deserves some credit for accepting that Collins wasn't working out and giving him the hook at HT. I've seen several people in the past cristicising him for being too stubborn to make changes until too late.

I was advocating his subbing off, though I would personally have gone with Cullen to help Whelan in the middle and let the others get further up the pitch. I guess though that would look negative, bringing a DM on for a striker...
    I think it's a partial mitigant that Mick didn't have the year between the Denmark Catastrophe and the start of Euro qualifying to experiment. If he had maybe there'd have been a bit more certainty of who to use and how/when.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I don't think McCarthy realised how much Ireland fans have suffered having to watch the miserable fare offered up by Trappatoni and O'Neill over the last decade. Not long after his appointment, I got a sinking feeling when I heard him trot out the usual cliches about how happy he would be to 'win ugly' and settle for a 1-0 win against the likes of Gibraltar. This 'practical negativity' has done nothing to change the fear mentality in the team, resulting on a reluctance to play any kind of of passing football of the type normally seem at international level. It's safety first at all times, relying on 'the Irish spirit' (grit and determination), 'nicking a goal from a set-piece' etc. etc. It's all so unambitious and utterly joyless. I think we'll have to wait until Kenny for that to change. (Although like McCarthy, Kenny will also have to deal with the weakest squad I've seen represent Ireland since I saw my first game almost fifty years ago). On a more optimistic note, reading this, it would appear almost impossible for Ireland NOT to qualify for the Euros:
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...-permutations/

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Hogan played well. That wasn’t an offside. Terrible call by linesman
    Some very bad officiating last night to be honest

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    I think it's a partial mitigant that Mick didn't have the year between the Denmark Catastrophe and the start of Euro qualifying to experiment. If he had maybe there'd have been a bit more certainty of who to use and how/when.
    Too many apologies for Mick. To be fair to him you have to give him credit for one or two of the players he has introduced to the squad during his tenure, Byrne, Cullen, Egan. But on the other hand he has persisted way too long with failed projects like Hendrick, Whelan (who actually played to the very best of his ability yesterday) and even Hourihane to an extent. Ongoing inclusion in the team despite continuous poor performances sends the wrong message to everyone. And then there's the nonsensical statements he makes like being happy with a draw in Georgia. That is not what fans want to hear

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    I just wish Mick would have taken a different approach from the beginning, like spending every second on the training ground working on changing his team to one which can construct a half decent passing move and hold possession in the opposition half

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I'd swap you Whelan, Hendrick and Hourihane guaranteed starters for a James McClean guaranteed non-starter.

22. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I just wish Mick would have taken a different approach from the beginning, like spending every second on the training ground working on changing his team to one which can construct a half decent passing move and hold possession in the opposition half
    Paris, Lille and Geneva show that once players who are otherwise cautious and timid with the ball decide to play they can do it. Part of me thinks it’s that old John Giles thing of “moral courage”. We just seem to play with fear the whole time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Paris, Lille and Geneva show that once players who are otherwise cautious and timid with the ball decide to play they can do it. Part of me thinks it’s that old John Giles thing of “moral courage”. We just seem to play with fear the whole time.
    there is certainly fear there but the amount of aimless passes over the last two games was incredible.
    balls straight out of play, passes that put the recipient under undue pressure, passes to the opposition, crosses from crazy angles etc etc.
    I cant believe that these issues are down to the manager... surely an experienced player can do better no matter what influence the manager has??

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    . We still have the Jack Charlton “take no risks, we’re not as good as them” attitude ingrained in our senior team’s culture.
    Exactly this. Trapp, O'Neill, and even Mick have lamented the lack of attacking intent and so on, all the while picking teams that they know will be very conservative.

And it's the reason we drop points against teams that we shouldn't, which results in us not being able to play for a draw against the teams that it makes sense to take no risks against.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast