Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonights games,

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Heard lately that Paul O'Conor was kind of frozen out of the team by Neale Fenn because they didn't get along. Anyone have any info on this? I know that POC was injured for a time also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    O'Conor started the season poorly and was rightly dropped from a team doing well. Got back in when our results dipped but then got injured. Missed a couple of months. Not long after he got back fit, Fenn left so hard to blame Fenn on this one. O'Conor's penalty effort last night sums up his time with Longford

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Cue Rovers bucking the trend in the cup final...

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Cue Rovers bucking the trend in the cup final...
    Hard to see us getting three points from that one either.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    The League is the benchmark, Dundalk are the best team in it and shams second best. End of.
    Friday night Bohs beat Dundalk 2-1 - and that flattered Dundalk
    Two weeks ago shams beat us 2-0 and that flattered Bohs.
    That doesn’t mean shams are better than Dundalk (they aren’t) nor does it mean I am trolling in expressing my honest assessment of the two games (which most who saw the games would agree with)
    If all that’s too difficult for some, let’s just stick with League positions. Pity, as it’s supposed to be a discussion forum but obviously that’s beyond some.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Heard lately that Paul O'Conor was kind of frozen out of the team by Neale Fenn because they didn't get along. Anyone have any info on this? I know that POC was injured for a time also.
    Only reason POC got back in team recently was that Anto Breslin got a three match suspension after stupidly getting sent off against Bray. Very disppointed in POC considering the amount of premier division experience he has!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    The league table really does tell the story as to who are the best teams but it's a long season and things can change so that the current league table doesn't represent the current best teams.
    I'd say pats Waterford and Derry have all improved over the last couple of months.
    It's hard to call how much of that will carry into next season.
    Like every season for most clubs the players signed in the close season will be the difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Gary Rodgers was shocking for Bohs first goal on Friday,terrible decision to rush of his line.....
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Gary Rodgers was shocking for Bohs first goal on Friday,terrible decision to rush of his line.....
    Hopefully he has filled his quota for brainfart decisions this season. To be fair he has been in outstanding form this season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Pass from Grant split the defence and Ward Slater placed it first time ,for once, Rogers caught in no man's land.
    Also late down for second goal.Presumably Dundalk will be looking to strengthen in that area for next season.
    If Dundalk's defence play like that against Rovers in the final, they'll be destroyed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Pass from Grant split the defence and Ward Slater placed it first time ,for once, Rogers caught in no man's land.
    Also late down for second goal.Presumably Dundalk will be looking to strengthen in that area for next season.
    If Dundalk's defence play like that against Rovers in the final, they'll be destroyed.
    Thought at the time Rogers was poor for the first, although Dundalk experimental three centre half's defence (WTF ?) left a lot of space for LWS to run in to, and it was a peach of a pass from Grant.Overall Rogers has had a good season for Dundalk but with his age etc I imagine its one area they may look at in the off season. Heard rumours of Dundalk interest in a certain UCD keeper but don't know if there is much in it.
    Dundalk defence was unusually poor Friday night, caught out a couple of times but I expect with a return to a more usual set up (and return of first choice players) they will be a lot less generous in the cup final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Hopefully he has filled his quota for brainfart decisions this season. To be fair he has been in outstanding form this season.
    Its a rare occurrence for him,maybe the new defensive system played a part in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Only reason POC got back in team recently was that Anto Breslin got a three match suspension after stupidly getting sent off against Bray. Very disppointed in POC considering the amount of premier division experience he has!
    Was one of the worst performers in a very inexperienced Bray side in the 2018 season. Don't think there was a single person who was sad to see him leave at the end of last season

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulsey View Post
    Was one of the worst performers in a very inexperienced Bray side in the 2018 season. Don't think there was a single person who was sad to see him leave at the end of last season
    think the last time he had a decent season was with Drogs in 13 season.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    The league table really does tell the story as to who are the best teams but it's a long season and things can change so that the current league table doesn't represent the current best teams.
    I'd say pats Waterford and Derry have all improved over the last couple of months.
    It's hard to call how much of that will carry into next season.
    Like every season for most clubs the players signed in the close season will be the difference.
    I cant really agree with that! Teams' form will improve or disimprove over a season but generally, unless a side is gutted in a transfer window like UCD, the best side in the league will win over a season and therfore are the best side. Cork falling over the line in 2017 didnt stop them from ultimately finding form in the cup final, they were the best side in 2017. In one off cup games any side can defy league form but would it change their general standing? If a manager is worth their salt, singings in or out aside, there should be improvements in general over a season. If Dundalk dont sign anybody, for example, the improved fitness or having less players injured early season could be considered strenthening or an improvement going in to a new season.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 15/10/2019 at 11:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    I cant really agree with that! Teams' form will improve or disimprove over a season but generally, unless a side is gutted in a transfer window like UCD, the best side in the league will win over a season and therfore are the best side. Cork falling over the line in 2017 didnt stop them from ultimately finding form in the cup final, they were the best side in 2017. In one off cup games any side can defy league form but would it change their general standing? If a manager is worth their salt, singings in or out aside, there should be improvements in general over a season. If Dundalk dont sign anybody, for example, the improved fitness or having less players injured early season could be considered strenthening or an improvement going in to a new season.
    Wow, we have some Hoops (and a closet Hoop) getting excitable because Ezek as doing a narrow comparison (games V Dundalk) and now one arguing the table isn't 'current' enough The fairest judgement in my opinion is over a season and the Table is near that now (most positions settled). yes, teams will have good runs and bad runs, injuries etc but over a season its difficult to argue the table reflects each team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    I was'nt talking about Dundalk here , best team no argument there.
    I more so meant scenerios like Waterford for instance who are finishing a better team then they were earlier in the league when Power started to slash and burn...
    Cork last year finished second but i thought they would struggle this year (not to the extent they have).
    UCD are bottom but are flattered by that position considering what has happened since the summer.

There can be some interesting pointers for next season looking at the form of all teams on the run in.
    In general though the league table stands up for most teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I'd say pats Waterford and Derry have all improved over the last couple of months..
    We really haven't. We're pretty much as poor now as we have been all season. Yet another awful season from us. Maybe next year..........
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Bit like Fenn at Cork there isnt much current indication that things will improve but I do think in both cases there will be improvement next season. Fenn (for as much as I'd smirk at him faltering) he has more to him tactically than there has been at Cork recently, he will be better with younger players too. O'Donnell's work ethic likewise will improve St Pats as he will expect the level of effort to improve. Pats are well ahead with the quality in the squad but O'Donnell as a technical former player will get more from the players with quality. He can temper his passion and motivational methods to individual players as the more modern generally coaches do so Forrester will be a lot better next season also. An opinion of course but overall I think there will be a number of clubs that were well off the boil this and previous seasons that will be more ompetative in 2020. Top 2 will be hard to crack but the race for 3/4th next season will be entertaining for sure!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Jeez George Hamilton would bore the pants off you watching a game. Pats have had a few shots whistle past the post in the last 10 mins and George calls them like the droning PA announcer at the carnival in Father Ted.

"A child has been lost... could the owner of a 03 D Opel Corsa come and move their car... and Forrester has another shot... pass me my revolver".

A good commentator (like Dave McIntyre at Newstalk) would have a raised voice in those situations and give a feeling of excitement with a few oohs and aahs thrown in. Good commentators can make a fluffed attacking move sound exciting. "What an intervention by the defender... ooh that was inches away from the forwards head... etc". George just sounds depressed.

We talk about fixing the league with restructuring the league etc but it's having people with no passion for it, like GH, involved is not helping. Big it up. Get excited ffs. Ugghh.

Rant over.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast