Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Tbilisi - 12th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ipswich have had ten games in league one this season, Judge has started in five of them, and come off the bench in four of the others
    He shouldn't be in the Irish squad. We haven't sank so low that we need to be picking players from League 1 especially when there are better options who are overlooked.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 06/10/2019 at 5:48 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mcca...drick-progress

Hope for Duffy and Didsy. Didn't realise Cunningham was out with injury. Williams has been centre back most recently. Is it far more likely now that it will be Doherty or McClean? Connolly starting would be fabulous if McClean is left back.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ipswich have had ten games in league one this season, Judge has started in five of them, and come off the bench in four of the others

I wouldn't describe the assist for the equaliser in Denmark as marginal
    One assist is marginal in my book.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/mcca...drick-progress

Hope for Duffy and Didsy. Didn't realise Cunningham was out with injury. Williams has been centre back most recently. Is it far more likely now that it will be Doherty or McClean? Connolly starting would be fabulous if McClean is left back.
    Left back in Stoke ideally.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    He’s playing in the third tier when selected. He’s over 30, had a career ravaged by serious and debilitating injury, and has made only a marginal impact internationally. His selection is entirely down to the fact that he played for Mick at club level. Picking players because he knows them is a major weakness of Mick’s and perhaps a dereliction of a manager’s job description.

I think a lot of these decision are really a consequence of not having any time to work with the squad and to see players. He went straight into real competitive games. Had to create a squad on the fly and has had little time to experiment or try out different players and different positions. So guys who were initially injured like Long and McCarthy or out of favour at their clubs like Clark were left out in the cold in a way they wouldn't have been if he had worked with them previously.

It's difficult circumstances to work under and considering where we were under O'Neill in terms of performances and results, and in terms of the underage set up, things are so much better than they were 10 months ago. Nonetheless, it all feels kind of reactive to a certain extent. Like, had Clark played against United a week earlier, he would have been called up over Williams, maybe even one day earlier. Maybe the same is true of McCarthy. The Connolly call up was a little similar.

Ultimately to me, it comes down to, who would i trust more if there was an early injury against Switzerland - McCarthy or Cullen and that's McCarthy. Clarke or Williams and that's Clarke. Browne or Arter and that's Arter. Long or Hogan and that's Long. If you're 2-0 up against Georgia, feel free to try embed a Browne or a Cullen if you believe in them and see how they do, step by step, but honestly if end up counting on those lads to contribute to the Swiss game, we could be taking a serious and unnecessary chance....

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    If he scores two he might get called up!

Two this year you mean?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    It would be time well spent in Tiblisi to put a man marker on their playmaker (forget his name but he's a small Hagi type player in the middle of the park who controls everything for them).
    To my mind it would be a job for Alan Browne or Josh Cullen.
    That's Jano at Spartak
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Switzerland squad named last Friday

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    You've got to feel for Mick - he looks at our experienced and up-and-coming players and thinks "well, McCarthy and Connolly have only made cameo appearances this season, while Long and Clark are barely in their squads" so he leaves them out of the squad, only for them all to start on Saturday and for Connolly to bang in two goals and must have thought "dammit! why couldn't this have happened two weeks ago?!"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    You've got to feel for Mick - he looks at our experienced and up-and-coming players and thinks "well, McCarthy and Connolly have only made cameo appearances this season, while Long and Clark are barely in their squads" so he leaves them out of the squad, only for them all to start on Saturday and for Connolly to bang in two goals and must have thought "dammit! why couldn't this have happened two weeks ago?!"
    Connolly and parrot should have played against Bulgaria. McCarthy is our best midfielder by a mile and should be drafted in. Clark I understand not being involved

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Didn't Clark play the 'full 90' for Newcastle the other day?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Connolly and parrot should have played against Bulgaria. McCarthy is our best midfielder by a mile and should be drafted in. Clark I understand not being involved
    No, No, No!
    1. Connolly had 30 minutes of senior League football and 1 game in the League Cup under his belt, while Parrott had no senior competitive experience
    2. Both were involved in the U21 victory over Sweden
    3. The Bulgaria game was, at the time, a surprisingly worthwhile exercise, with James Collins and Alan Browne getting their first goals, Josh Cullen and Jack Byrne getting the chance to impress in midfield, an inexperienced central defensive partnership being used that we may now have to depend on, and even the Conor Hourihane left-back experiment having had an effect, as he seems to have built on those minutes he begged Mick for and re-established himself in the Villa midfield.

Connolly's gamechanging performances came after that - it would have been irresponsible of Mick to give them caps at that point. Also, if he was to have given one of them a cap, it would most likely have been Parrott, based on his pre-season.

Things are moving quickly, with regards to the young players, but Mick's timeline is short, so they have to do something special at club level to justify being thrown into the middle of a international qualifying campaign - last Saturday, Aaron Connolly managed that

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    No, No, No!
    1. Connolly had 30 minutes of senior League football and 1 game in the League Cup under his belt, while Parrott had no senior competitive experience
    2. Both were involved in the U21 victory over Sweden
    3. The Bulgaria game was, at the time, a surprisingly worthwhile exercise, with James Collins and Alan Browne getting their first goals, Josh Cullen and Jack Byrne getting the chance to impress in midfield, an inexperienced central defensive partnership being used that we may now have to depend on, and even the Conor Hourihane left-back experiment having had an effect, as he seems to have built on those minutes he begged Mick for and re-established himself in the Villa midfield.

Connolly's gamechanging performances came after that - it would have been irresponsible of Mick to give them caps at that point. Also, if he was to have given one of them a cap, it would most likely have been Parrott, based on his pre-season.pppppppp0ppppppppp

Things are moving quickly, with regards to the young players, but Mick's timeline is short, so they have to do something special at club level to justify being thrown into the middle of a international qualifying campaign - last Saturday, Aaron Connolly managed that
    But if we are on hot water in Georgia connolly is now making his debut? Are u saying the Bulgaria game wouldn't have helped. Tbc I posted that I wanted him and parrot called up at the time for Bulgaria

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Would anyone happen to know of any pub in Fukuoka that will be showing the Georgia match this weekend?! I'm heading over for the rugby but am desperate to see the qualifiers. Any Irish bar I have contacted in Fukuoka so far has said they won't be broadcasting it, even though kick-off is 23:00 Japan time.

If anyone happened to know of a place showing Switzerland v Ireland in Kyoto (K.O. 04:45am Wednesday 16th!), I would likewise be really grateful for any tips!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryPhelan View Post
    Would anyone happen to know of any pub in Fukuoka that will be showing the Georgia match this weekend?! I'm heading over for the rugby but am desperate to see the qualifiers. Any Irish bar I have contacted in Fukuoka so far has said they won't be broadcasting it, even though kick-off is 23:00 Japan time.

If anyone happened to know of a place showing Switzerland v Ireland in Kyoto (K.O. 04:45am Wednesday 16th!), I would likewise be really grateful for any tips!
    you might find it difficult. i was in Japan in 2006 and even the Irish bars were not showing the infamous 5-2 cyprus match..... lucky so!

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Aren't our games on Sky Sports? That'd increase the number of bars likely to have access to the games. It won't clash with the rugby times.

There'll be live streams too.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Aren't our games on Sky Sports? That'd increase the number of bars likely to have access to the games. It won't clash with the rugby times.

There'll be live streams too.
    It was tough enough to find pubs in Japan that were playing the rugby games too!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

23. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Thanks a lot lads. In the end I heard back from the International Bar in Fukuoka which confirmed they'll be showing the Georgia match! https://www.facebook.com/InternationalBarFukuoka/

No such luck so far for the Swiss game which kicks off around 4:45am... needless to say I'll still be up and scouring the internet for viable streams!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Thanks a lot lads. In the end I heard back from the International Bar in Fukuoka which confirmed they'll be showing the Georgia match! https://www.facebook.com/InternationalBarFukuoka/

No such luck so far for the Swiss game which kicks off around 4:45am... needless to say I'll still be up and scouring the internet for viable streams!
    Good luck with that, I find I can usually find a decent steam these days the situation seems to have improved on that front.

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts

Could you use a proxy to access RTE Player? I can't imagine they've installed netflix style anti-proxy systems

28. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast