Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Tbilisi - 12th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Tbilisi - 12th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Is it Tets that normally creates the match threads? Probably time to do so, 2 weeks out from Georgia.
    Here you go. I think the centre back pairing will almost certainly be Long and Egan. Shame Burnley didn't survive a bit longer in the EFL Cup to give Long some extra minutes. Injuries permitting I would expect:

Randolph
    Coleman
    Long
    Egan
    Doherty
    Whelan (can he play two games in four days, probably not, Cullen might play the one he doesn't)
    Hendrick
    Hourihane
    Robinson
    McClean
    McGoldrick

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Cheers Del.

I would like to see that team too. I would offer 3 variables further to the Whelan one:
    McGoldrick's fitness- is he fit to play zero, one or two of the matches? Time will tell. Collins in if not.
    Doherty at left back- will Mick go with it or play someone who is playing there regularly for their club? McClean or Cunningham? Derrick Williams has been partnering Lenihan at centre back for Blackburn of late.
    Duffy's fitness- is there an outside chance he might make it? Hopefully but surely unlikely.

If McClean goes left back, it would be great to see Connolly in his old role with Robinson on the right and McGoldrick or Collins through the middle. Unlikely though.

Of those not named in the starting line up above, I would love to see Connolly and Cullen feature. Collins too but he is very likely to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah, that's more the team I think Mick will select, rather than what I would pick myself. I think we should probably make three or four changes between the two games to keep things fresh - maybe save the line-up above for Geneva. O'Dowda for McClean, Cullen for Whelan, Connolly/Collins for McGoldrick options for Tbilisi alright, but I think Mick will keep it as close to our previous XI's as possible.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Hopefully if things aren't going our way, Mick won't be afraid to throw on a player like Byrne for the last 20 minutes. He was our most positive player i taught against Bulgaria and I think he deserves a place in the 23. Cant see Georgia scoring against us but they can frustrate us defensively, cant see it been more than a 1 or 2 nil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    There's clarity of thought, consistency and loyalty in McCarthy's team selections thus far. LB is the only position up for grabs, no?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    There's clarity of thought, consistency and loyalty in McCarthy's team selections thus far. LB is the only position up for grabs, no?
    If everyone was fit, then yes. Egan and Long were at the back in the last friendly so I expect to see them there. And there's doubts on McGoldrick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Agreed. The quick turnaround is the only thing that might test Mick's rigidness a little, but probably not much.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Manning starts again at left back for QPR. Seems to be left wing back. Another option for us had he been blooded.

I see it as a toss up between Doherty and McClean and it will only be the latter if Mick sees someone in training who can play McClean's position with some semblance of the defensive vigour.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Not to jinx him but Egan has looked great again today against a top 6 side. He even did a slide tackle with his head!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Great to see Hourihane and Hendrick starting against one another today in the league. Hourihane is being rewarded for his hot EFL Cup form.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    few irish goals today with coleman, doherty and collins all netting. brady came on for burnley and egan played well for sheff utd v liverpool

edit: valvert lewin now credited with everton goal as he finished it over the line
    Last edited by jbyrne; 28/09/2019 at 6:28 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    Brady is an interesting one. Burnley are at home to Everton next weekend. If he started would he be an option to slot in left back? I'm still not fully convinced Mick will put Doherty in there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    few irish goals today with coleman, doherty and collins all netting. brady came on for burnley and egan played well for sheff utd v liverpool

edit: valvert lewin now credited with everton goal as he finished it over the line
    With McGoldrick an injury doubt, Hogan being dropped and Long only playing garbage minutes, is there a case to be made for in-form Collins to start against Georgia? On top of that, is there a case for a Connolly call-up to the squad, now that he has played the last four Premier League games and two League Cup games? Or should Mick stick with international experience (Long) or remain loyal to a current player (Hogan)?

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    841 Posts
    I'd say with all the changes likely to be forced on him, he will stick wherever possible with lads who know the drills. Happy to be surprised though

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Think he will go with Doherty Left back for the Georgia game, he has experience there and he is probably our best option too. Anyone else and I'd be a bit worried.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Seems that tickets will be collection over there. A good move i think

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    With McGoldrick an injury doubt, Hogan being dropped and Long only playing garbage minutes, is there a case to be made for in-form Collins to start against Georgia? On top of that, is there a case for a Connolly call-up to the squad, now that he has played the last four Premier League games and two League Cup games? Or should Mick stick with international experience (Long) or remain loyal to a current player (Hogan)?
    I don't want to be too harsh on Hogan but of all the options mentioned he would be my least favourite. He did not make the bench for Stoke on Friday night and does not appear to be injured.

I would suggest that Collins is in the lead to start as the lone striker in Georgia, obviously in the event that McGolddrick is unable.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Seanie Maguire probably deserves to be in the squad if fit. If I was calling up a squad, I would have Long, McGoldrick, Maguire and Collins as my four strikers and Hogan the backup if McGoldrick isn't fit. They're all very different, McGoldrick links up play very well, Collins is a good target and scores goals, Long's physical attributes and his experience are unique, Maguire's both a goalscorer and an intelligent footballer but perhaps the least effective out ball if you're under pressure, more Robbie Keane than Kevin Doyle if you get me. Hogan is fast but not that fast, strong but not that strong, decent finisher when confident but technically not the greatest footballer.

McGoldrick's position to lose I guess. Long's pace, strength and aerial ability make him valuable, at the very least off the bench. Collins and Maguire both have decent club scoring form. Collins has the advantage of an international goal but Maguire is perhaps the better footballer of the two.

I think who I would pick, would depend on the midfield in front of me.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,084 Posts
    I think McGoldrick or Collins is 9. I reckon Maguire comes in for Robinson if we want to change approach for a goal. And I am worried that Maguire doesn't develop an international goalscoring nack until he starts clocking up more international appearances. I reckon Maguire won't get a shot with Mick but Kenny will initially give him a better chance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I think McGoldrick or Collins is 9. I reckon Maguire comes in for Robinson if we want to change approach for a goal. And I am worried that Maguire doesn't develop an international goalscoring nack until he starts clocking up more international appearances. I reckon Maguire won't get a shot with Mick but Kenny will initially give him a better chance.
    I wouldn't disagree, saying that, if you are going to play Maguire in any game, the Georgia one is probably the one he would be most likely to succeed in. No guarantees but we should dominate a bit more than we would against Denmark or Switzerland. And you should get a little more time on the ball in the final third, which he should be able to exploit. I'm happy to sit on the fence until the squad have met up. For all we know, Danny Ings could get injured in training and Shane Long scores a hat trick against Chelsea

In terms of Kenny, Maguire struggled when signing for Dundalk, which isn't a great sign - but I suppose McMillan and Kilduff were banging in goals, so it's hard to replace them.

I feel it's probably a little too soon for Connolly, Obafemi or Parrott. Between the three of them they have 3 senior goals. You'd be asking a lot to expect them to come in and positively impact a game where you need a result.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast