Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Tbilisi - 12th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    The only thing that makes that squad palatable is knowing that it is temporary and better things are in future.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    A long shot but does anyone have an idea of a venue that might be showing the match in Kassel, Germany? Thanks!
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    544 Posts
    Mick, Terry and Robbie were definitely at the Armenia game. He was man of the match, playing wide left. I assume it was just a slip of the tongue.

If you ignore the players who have been left out, which are truly baffling and glaring lack of forethought at times, it's been a pretty good campaign for Mick so far.

Improved performances, improved results. I certainly would have taken this before the group started.

@Fergie RE Germany. Last time i tried to watch a game in germany (denmark v ireland world cup play off 1st leg) it was being shown on DAZN, which is a web based streaming channel. they do a free one month subscription. i can try find out what it's on this time if you can't... if you know it's on DAZN, the venues will generally be pretty accommodating as well. i similarly got a pub to use my DAZN account to play Liverpool against Spurs cause my internet wasn't fast enough where i was staying

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I think it’s mad not having Ciaran Clark in the squad. Lenihan has had 2 very very shaky friendlies for ireland. I remember against both the USA and NornIron there were howler mistakes which didn’t cost us. Getting caught in possession / a slip against the states and an underhit pass or backpass which both led to 1 on 1s. He may be a player you want to embed into the squad in the medium term but if there’s an injury to Egan or Long, then I’d much much rather Ciaran Clark’s experience to slot in in a tight game.

Don’t really understand the point of Cunningham in the squad. I’d rather Doherty or Brady at left back, cause he hasn’t impressed internationally or the few games he played in the premier league. So yeah, no Brady, same thing. I’d actually play Christie on the left ahead of him too.

Arter, McCarthy and Westwood all still absent. I guess that’s Mick rather than them this time.

Shane Long is pretty infuriating, especially considering McGoldrick is injured. Shane has a unique skill set and I think if Mick worked with him in training once, he’d see that.

Not sure Ronan Curtis is ready for the level yet. Probably needs some championship football cause he’s still raw. Michael Duffy would probably give you more than him right now.

Anyway, not exactly an inspiring squad.

For Georgia, I would hope he plays

Randolph

Coleman
    Egan
    Long
    Doherty

Cullen
    Hourihane
    Hendrick

Robinson
    McClean

Maguire/Collins? Not sure
    I think mcLean played left back last night against Huddersfield. That might put the chat amongst the pigeons

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Depressing. Difficult to see where or how we'll score a goal with that squad selection. Hendrick has to have big games, and Robinson needs to take a leap forward and put his stamp on the team. Zero confidence in Colllins or Hogan leading the line, Long is far the better option. Think McCarthy could have cut Judge loose, and possibly Curtis.
    In fairness Collins has scored 159 senior club goals and has been scoring at a rate of about a goal every two games for the past three and a bit seasons - admittedly mostly at a lower level, but he has stepped up to Championship level well and has more goals than Bamford now - plus it took him only 28 minutes to open his international account so like Mick's decision to put his faith in McGoldrick, I have a feeling about Collins - I think he may be the sort of guy who should have been playing at a higher level all along, but didn't commit fully... now he has and is starting to achieve his potential, which is good for us.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    I think mcLean played left back last night against Huddersfield. That might put the chat amongst the pigeons
    He's been playing there all season. Mick referencing that Connolly wouldn't get in ahead of McClean implies to me that he still sees McClean as a valuable asset on the left wing though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Georgian squad named: http://gff.ge/ge/media/news/19203

Goalkeepers: Giorgi Loria (Anorthosis, Cyprus), Giorgi Makaridze (Vittoria, Setubal, Portugal), Lazar Kupatadze (Saburtalo, Tbilisi)

Defenders: Otar Kakabadze (Lucerne, Switzerland), Guram Kashia (San Jose Uniforms, USA), Solomon Kverkvelia (Lokomotive, Moscow, Russia), David Khocholava (Shakhtar, Donetsk, Ukraine), Gia Grigalula (Arsene), Rusenali, Arsene Jimmy Tabidze (Ufa, Russia), Giorgi Navalovski (Dinamo, Batumi)

Midfielders: Jaba Kankava (Tobol, Kazakhstan), Otar Kiteishvili (Sturm, Austria), Vako Gvilia (Legia, Poland), Saba Lobzhanidze (Randers, Denmark), Vakhtang Chanturishvili (Zlin, Czech Republic), Giorgi Aburjandia (Twain) Jano Ananidze (Spartak, Moscow, Russia), Tornike Okriashvili, Murtaz Daushvili (both Anorthosis, Cyprus), Levan Shengelia (Konyaspor, Turkey), Giorgi Kharaishvili (Gothenburg, Sweden), Valeri Kazaishvili (ertkveiksi San Jose, US)

Forwards: Giorgi Quilitaia (Ghent, Belgium), Elguja Lobjanidze (Taraz, Kazakhstan)
    Also, the following players are on standby
    Levan Gegechkori, Jaba Jigauri (Dinamo, Batumi), Lasha Parunashvili (Esbjerg, Denmark), Luka Zarandia (Zulte-Waregem, Belgium), Giorgi Merebashvili (Wisla, Plotsky, Poland), Budu Zivzivadze (Mesokovesti, L) Dinamo Tbilisi)
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 03/10/2019 at 8:31 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    very refreshing attitude by the club here...
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...ost-for-irish/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Set up to attack. Use the wings as much as possible. The tone of this game is important. If we sit back they'll control 80 per cent of possession.
    Would like to see Byrne in the starting eleven to control the play in midfield, but it will never happen.

Randolph

Coleman Egan Cunningham

Doherty Hendrick Browne/Cullen McClean

Maguire Collins Robinson

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    It would be time well spent in Tiblisi to put a man marker on their playmaker (forget his name but he's a small Hagi type player in the middle of the park who controls everything for them).
    To my mind it would be a job for Alan Browne or Josh Cullen.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Set up to attack. Use the wings as much as possible. The tone of this game is important. If we sit back they'll control 80 per cent of possession.
    Would like to see Byrne in the starting eleven to control the play in midfield, but it will never happen.

Randolph

Coleman Egan Cunningham

Maguire Collins Robinson
    Propose Byrne being midfield is one of the more realistic suggestions you've made in that post. The formation, Cunningham ahead of Long, Doherty right wing back ahead of Coleman, Browne or Cullen ahead of Whelan and no Hourihane would be less likely than Byrne starting, in my view.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Propose Byrne being midfield is one of the more realistic suggestions you've made in that post. The formation, Cunningham ahead of Long, Doherty right wing back ahead of Coleman, Browne or Cullen ahead of Whelan and no Hourihane would be less likely than Byrne starting, in my view.
    Cheers Ole, I picked Cunningham simply because he has quite a few games under his belt this season as opposed to Long who really hasn't kicked a ball for Burnley. I would hope that Coleman and Doherty slightly ahead of him on the right, would have that side of the pitch pretty well covered. And likewise on the left with McClean and Cunningham. My feeling is that we are overmatched in the middle of the park, so keeping the play on the wings would be more beneficial to us

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    544 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post

Randolph

Coleman Egan Cunningham

Maguire Collins Robinson
    He'll never start with only one natural centre half in the side.

If I were guessing I would say:

Randolph

Coleman-Egan-Long-Cunningham

Hendrick-Cullen-Hourihane

Robinson McClean
    Collins

With Duffy to replace Long and McGoldrick to replace Collins if fit. Don't think he'll ask Whelan to play 2 games in a week.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He's been playing there all season. Mick referencing that Connolly wouldn't get in ahead of McClean implies to me that he still sees McClean as a valuable asset on the left wing though.
    What did Mick say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    What did Mick say?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Yeah Mick messed up the team name but he did scout Connolly in person........I suspect Mick is basically saying he views Connolly as a wide forward in our system (let's face it he's not going to play as the focal point a la McGoldrick at this point) -- and in that role doesn't offer the all-round game McClean does (possibly fair).

I have no doubt Connolly is among our most talented finishers but Mick has favoured "battle hardened" over "promising but unproven" in this campaign and it has worked for us so far.

Given these are two crucial away games where the atmosphere is going to be incredibly tense and challenging, I back Mick's approach. I wouldn't mind having Connolly on the bench as an option if we needed a goal, but is he definitively a better option than an experienced pro like Hogan?

Mick has been relatively unimaginative with his selections but I've been impressed with his ability to put together a cohesive and functional group despite no friendlies to prepare before the competitive fixtures for this campaign. He's also used his judgment to integrate players who other coaches perhaps wouldn't have selected.

He's used McGoldrick in a key role -- and he's used guys like Judge -- who despite not being everyone's cup of tea has been involved in some key moments (free kick for Duffy goal.....goal line clearing header).

The Tweet implies Mick is a clueless idiot. If anyone actually believes that, they haven't been paying attention to what has been IMO a very savvy use of limited resources.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Would Cunningham start ahead of Doherty? i think he's just back up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Would Cunningham start ahead of Doherty? i think he's just back up.
    Cunningham went off injured against QPR.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Huge momentum for our squad going into game: clean sheet for Egan and Stevens. Robinson with another prem start. Another start for Coleman before deciding to rest himself ahead of Georgia with a second yellow. Starts and goals for our midfielders Hourihane and Hendrick. A full 90 minutes for Cullen and Whelan. Long returns to the bench after a brief exodus. Last minute winner from Hogan. Hopefully our Southampton contingent and Doherty can do something tomorrow. All on the back of the Connolly “feel good factor”, be it that he remains with 21s or gets promoted.

The squad will be brimming with confidence

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Thought it would be interesting to compare Senior .and U21 squads as we head into international break.

Green shoots.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 06/10/2019 at 12:23 PM.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast