Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Tbilisi - 12th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    I wouldn't disagree, saying that, if you are going to play Maguire in any game, the Georgia one is probably the one he would be most likely to succeed in. No guarantees but we should dominate a bit more than we would against Denmark or Switzerland. And you should get a little more time on the ball in the final third, which he should be able to exploit. I'm happy to sit on the fence until the squad have met up. For all we know, Danny Ings could get injured in training and Shane Long scores a hat trick against Chelsea

In terms of Kenny, Maguire struggled when signing for Dundalk, which isn't a great sign - but I suppose McMillan and Kilduff were banging in goals, so it's hard to replace them.

I feel it's probably a little too soon for Connolly, Obafemi or Parrott. Between the three of them they have 3 senior goals. You'd be asking a lot to expect them to come in and positively impact a game where you need a result.
    Ya think we'll dominate Georgia a bit more than the other two? I think you are highly optimistic. In fact they dominated Denmark a few weeks ago. They completely dominated us in the last campaign and did ok in Dublin again this campaign. We will be our typical selves in Tiblisi. Launch it long and hope to win the aerial battles and knockdowns.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Brady is an interesting one. Burnley are at home to Everton next weekend. If he started would he be an option to slot in left back? I'm still not fully convinced Mick will put Doherty in there.
    Me neither. Brady is a decent left-back option but I think my prediction of a few years ago that James McClean would make a good left-back for Ireland will come to fruition.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I think Georgia will be happy enough in a game of football against us too, they were very impressive v Denmark at times and for a sustained half hour as the game finished. Collins over Maguire for me, they wont like that side of us, and a hideous 0-1 however its achieved will be fine. I'm not saying hack it away all game, but the Collins option will unsettle them more.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/scou...-of-club-goals

Mick is in positive form. 4 central midfielders referenced. You'd imagine he'll retain the same three but does view Cullen as a viable option in case of injury or in case of tiredness relating to the same three.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Ya think we'll dominate Georgia a bit more than the other two? I think you are highly optimistic. In fact they dominated Denmark a few weeks ago.
    the official stats from the game would say otherwise.... possession 61%/39%, shots 12/7 and corners 9/2 all in Denmarks favour

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Republic of Ireland Squad:

Goalkeepers:
    Darren Randolph (Middlesbrough),
    Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth),
    Kieran O’Hara (Burton Albion, on loan from Manchester United)

Defenders:
    Seamus Coleman (Everton),
    Matt Doherty (Wolverhampton Wanderers),
    Kevin Long (Burnley),
    John Egan (Sheffield United),
    Darragh Lenihan (Blackburn Rovers),
    Greg Cunningham (Blackburn Rovers),
    Enda Stevens (Sheffield United)

Midfielders:
    Alan Browne (Preston North End),
    Josh Cullen (Charlton Athletic, on loan from West Ham United),
    Glenn Whelan (Heart of Midlothian),
    Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa),
    James McClean (Stoke City),
    Ronan Curtis (Portsmouth),
    Jeff Hendrick (Burnley),
    Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City),
    Jack Byrne (Shamrock Rovers),
    Alan Judge (Ipswich Town)

Forwards:
    James Collins (Luton Town),
    Sean Maguire (Preston North End),
    Callum Robinson (Sheffield United)
    Scott Hogan (Stoke City, on loan from Aston Villa)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Squad announced.

No place for Ryan Manning, despite his impressive start to the season at left-back for QPR. McGoldrick is injured, along with Duffy and Keogh obviously. Brady misses out too. No place for Long or Obafemi either. Do we have the luxury to be leaving players like that out? The squad is seriously lacking strength in depth.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Squad announced......
    No place for Ryan Manning, despite his impressive start to the season at left-back for QPR. McGoldrick is injured, along with Duffy and Keogh obviously. Brady misses out too. No place for Long or Obafemi either. Do we have the luxury to be leaving players like that out? The squad is seriously lacking strength in depth.
    Seems such a wasted opportunity not to call up Cunningham and have him play at left back v Bulgaria. playing Hourihane was a massive waste of Time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Depressing. Difficult to see where or how we'll score a goal with that squad selection. Hendrick has to have big games, and Robinson needs to take a leap forward and put his stamp on the team. Zero confidence in Colllins or Hogan leading the line, Long is far the better option. Think McCarthy could have cut Judge loose, and possibly Curtis.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    really dont get the Long omission. Hogan is nowhere near the player and has had the chances to prove himself too. Long has pace which none of the others have and if we're holding on in either game(either a win in georgia or a draw in Switzerland) there is no better man to come on and run at them and relieve pressure.

The squads smack of Old Mick. Which really used to **** me off.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    You mean Young Mick?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    This craic with players playing regularly is an odd one. Curtis and Judge are regulars at League One level. Whelan is a regular at SPL level. Connolly, Obafemi, McCarthy, Long and Brady all have PL appearances and are seemingly not picked because they aren't regulars. Is it that important a consideration for international football?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    really dont get the Long omission. Hogan is nowhere near the player and has had the chances to prove himself too. Long has pace which none of the others have and if we're holding on in either game(either a win in georgia or a draw in Switzerland) there is no better man to come on and run at them and relieve pressure.

The squads smack of Old Mick. Which really used to **** me off.
    Absolutely. Judge's inclusion is absolutely incomprehensible as is the omission of Long and Obafemi. The latter is still raw, but his pace and the exquisite pass to Ings the other week, suggest the ability to offer a threat. Mick has settled on his squad, and at this stage there is no way he will call into questions his own judgement - of his Judge for that matter.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    This craic with players playing regularly is an odd one. Curtis and Judge are regulars at League One level. Whelan is a regular at SPL level. Connolly, Obafemi, McCarthy, Long and Brady all have PL appearances and are seemingly not picked because they aren't regulars. Is it that important a consideration for international football?
    I would like to state that I am not referring to the players' merits on an individual basis. I would rather Whelan in midfield instead of McCarthy- at present.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    I think it’s mad not having Ciaran Clark in the squad. Lenihan has had 2 very very shaky friendlies for ireland. I remember against both the USA and NornIron there were howler mistakes which didn’t cost us. Getting caught in possession / a slip against the states and an underhit pass or backpass which both led to 1 on 1s. He may be a player you want to embed into the squad in the medium term but if there’s an injury to Egan or Long, then I’d much much rather Ciaran Clark’s experience to slot in in a tight game.

Don’t really understand the point of Cunningham in the squad. I’d rather Doherty or Brady at left back, cause he hasn’t impressed internationally or the few games he played in the premier league. So yeah, no Brady, same thing. I’d actually play Christie on the left ahead of him too.

Arter, McCarthy and Westwood all still absent. I guess that’s Mick rather than them this time.

Shane Long is pretty infuriating, especially considering McGoldrick is injured. Shane has a unique skill set and I think if Mick worked with him in training once, he’d see that.

Not sure Ronan Curtis is ready for the level yet. Probably needs some championship football cause he’s still raw. Michael Duffy would probably give you more than him right now.

Anyway, not exactly an inspiring squad.

For Georgia, I would hope he plays

Randolph

Coleman
    Egan
    Long
    Doherty

Cullen
    Hourihane
    Hendrick

Robinson
    McClean

Maguire/Collins? Not sure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    McCarthy not ruling McGoldrick or Duffy out yet it appears

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Have we seen the last of Keiren Westwood?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Absolutely. Judge's inclusion is absolutely incomprehensible .
    I think setting up the goal against Denmark and bursting back to stop a certain goal against Switzerland warrants him a place in the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's just a tired and lazy excuse that Mick uses to explain away the omission of some players, but it's riddled with inconsistency, as you point out.

I'd been hopeful Aaron Connolly might have been given a chance - as he has had game-time of late with Brighton and would certainly offer something different again - but Mick's odd comments on his omission wouldn't inspire one with any confidence that he's even been keeping an eye on the lad.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast