Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Republic of Ireland - Tbilisi - 12th October 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Seriously questioning if I want this team to qualify at this rate. We'll just go to the euros and stink the place out. There's no enjoyment in that
    That's exactly how I feel. I'm completely done with McCarthy and his defeatist attitude. If he thinks Georgia is a difficult place to play, try Geneva next Tuesday night. Defeating Georgia was the easiest of the three assignments left for us but the approach was all wrong. Best thing that can happen for Irish football now is that Connolly is sent back to the U-21'S so he's not poisoned by the defeatist attitude in the senior set up

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    Overiding emotion from me is anger, I hope we haven't thrown away a great chance of automatic qualification. Macedonia in 99 is what popped into my head.
    Who was our manager for that game....?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    What happened when we made a late substitution in that game?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    We need to talk about James Collins more. Nowhere near the required standard. Surprised he is doing well for Luton tbh

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    I'd say my lack of sanity has been slowly self-inflicted by various different things but I also feel positive about the Suisse game. We know how much it would mean for Mick to beat them and I don't believe he'll be trying to just nick a win.....and with Aaron Connolly playing as he is, that can't be the case because the lad has zero nerves, plenty of footballing ability and can create danger for the opposition out of nothing. This is not a player that needs time to get up to the pace of the game. He sets the pace. I watched the Brighton game last week and told anyone who'd listen that he had to start today. I think he will start on Tuesday. Would you bet against him scoring? I sure wouldn't. Our other strikers, I can't say the same (although I do think they all have ability.....but nothing like Connolly). Hat-trick for Connolly, qualification and Mick tells us he only got ten minutes as he wanted to keep him under wraps from the Swiss as much as possible. (3 assists from Byrne, same reasoning).
    I would be astonished if Connolly scores on Tuesday night. People are making outlandish claims about him. It would be difficult for Messi to score against the Swiss, and we're claiming that a lad with one Premier League start to his name is going to change the world?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    I would be astonished if Connolly scores on Tuesday night. People are making outlandish claims about him. It would be difficult for Messi to score against the Swiss, and we're claiming that a lad with one Premier League start to his name is going to change the world?
    Why would it be difficult for messi! That's quite a statement considering Ditzy scored against them! Our problem is we have no wes to give the ball to Connolly to score

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Byrne and Connolly should start on Tuesday

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    I think that's a bit reactionary to be honest.

Connolly has one Premier League start under his belt. Byrne is a good player playing in a poor league. It's a heck of a jump to ask both of them to step into the team against a side like Switzerland, away from home.

I would have given Byrne time against Georgia; he's sends in a great set piece and he was spraying passes all around against Bulgaria, which is what we badly needed last night. I think the focus against the Swiss will probably be more defensive, and I'm not sure he'd fit that.

If our choice up front is Connolly or Collins, then that's just a symptom of a seriously poor squad, which we know we are. I don't think there's a huge difference between them. Collins may, as the season goes on, be sussed out by Championship defences and turn out to be effectively a decent League One forward, which isn't the level we need for the national team. But to turn on him after one poor game (and one decent game, where he scored on his debut) is a bit much.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Collins looked like a 28 year old player who has spent most of his career playing league 1 league 2 level. Didn't do anything well. Didn't hold the ball up when he got the opportunity, didn't stretch defence with runs, didn't physically put it up to centre halves etc Experience is overrated.

long would have been a much better option with Connolly coming on after an hour.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Mick will be happy with 2 draws.

Undefeated campaign.

Same team will start on Tuesday. Aim for 0-0.

*He’ll swap Stevens for Doherty, forgot it was a 1 game suspension.
    Last edited by shakermaker1982; 13/10/2019 at 4:44 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Hard to be optimistic, even cautiously, after yesterday. Georgia have no finishers. Switzerland most certainly do. Schmeichel was the Danes motm last night.

Connolly got 15 minutes against a tiring defence. Starting him against Georgia wouldve been unfair. He might get a bit longer against the Swiss but I fear we may well be two down or worse by then.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Connolly got 15 minutes against a tiring defence. Starting him against Georgia wouldve been unfair. He might get a bit longer against the Swiss but I fear we may well be two down or worse by then.
    we've only conceeded 2 goals to date with randolph hardly having to make too many saves. if we can keep it 0 0 till 60 mins, bring connolly on with 30 min to go i wouldnt rule out a win

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Why would it be difficult for messi! That's quite a statement considering Ditzy scored against them! Our problem is we have no wes to give the ball to Connolly to score
    Yeah it's no problem to score against Switzerland. It took us how long on our own patch to sneak one against the run of play? It's certainly not a foregone conclusion that Messi would score against them. He is more than capable but I wouldn't bet on it. To think that Connolly is the cure all for this team is highly optimistic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Nor would I. It's a big IF though. The Swiss will have shots on target and Randolph will have to make saves.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    The lack of urgency was the most annoying thing about yesterday for me. Georgia are not an easy team to play against and we have had moments of luck playing them in the past so a draw is not a disaster but the way we got it is most frustrating thing. In fairness to Mick he has been given one campaign so blooding younger players is not part of his JD. I would have had Long and Obafemi in the squad as alternatives but I dont think Collins is as bad as some people are saying. He had no support and was getting a high ball lumped at him all night, plus he looks a lot better in his last match. In a choice between him and Hogan, i would probably go for Collins. Hourihane is biggest disappointment for me - doesn't show and you hardly notice him until he takes a set piece. I would love to see Byrne replace him v the Swiss. I think we will have the same team though.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Nor would I. It's a big IF though. The Swiss will have shots on target and Randolph will have to make saves.
    Absolutely true. Randolph will be a busy boy on Tuesday night and the Swiss will have long periods of pressure on us. It calls for the likes of O'Dowda and Stevens to run into the spaces Switzerland will inevitably leave behind their advanced defenders

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Yeah it's no problem to score against Switzerland. It took us how long on our own patch to sneak one against the run of play? It's certainly not a foregone conclusion that Messi would score against them. He is more than capable but I wouldn't bet on it. To think that Connolly is the cure all for this team is highly optimistic
    But we did score against them and we had just hit the bar beforehand. I accept they are a good team but not a great team. I was surprised they weren't better actually in dublin. Re connolly he is all we have if ditzy is out.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Also I just checked the table. They have concided 5 goals and we have only let in 2 to date. I would fancy us to score anyway on Tuesday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think that's a bit reactionary to be honest.

Connolly has one Premier League start under his belt. Byrne is a good player playing in a poor league. It's a heck of a jump to ask both of them to step into the team against a side like Switzerland, away from home.

I would have given Byrne time against Georgia; he's sends in a great set piece and he was spraying passes all around against Bulgaria, which is what we badly needed last night. I think the focus against the Swiss will probably be more defensive, and I'm not sure he'd fit that.

If our choice up front is Connolly or Collins, then that's just a symptom of a seriously poor squad, which we know we are. I don't think there's a huge difference between them. Collins may, as the season goes on, be sussed out by Championship defences and turn out to be effectively a decent League One forward, which isn't the level we need for the national team. But to turn on him after one poor game (and one decent game, where he scored on his debut) is a bit much.
    I would replace Hourihane with Byrne, bringing on Hourihane for Hendrick if he plays like he did yesterday.
    Byrne can deliver a good set piece as Hourihane can.

Connolly is an unknown quantity for the Swiss. Collins was lost at sea yesterday. Not fully his fault. But Connolly has the pace to upset the Georgian defence.

If McGoldrick was fit I wouldn’t be clamouring for Connolly to start.
    If Long was in squad I’d have no problem with him starting

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Sure we might beat Switzerland and Denmark .

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast