Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Parrott F Excelsior Rotterdam (loan from Spurs) b.2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    No need for polemics. I think Del is basically right.

In general, the better the side, the harder it is for a young player to get in. Take Liverpool, in the beginning Klopp played plenty of young players but most of them didn’t quite cut it (Jordon Ibe, Brad Smith, Dom Solanke, Kevin Stewart, Ovie Ejaria etc etc). In the end Gomez and Trent are the only ones to have remained (and it took a long term injury to Clyne to give them there chance) but the likes of Brewster and Jones and Elliott will still get an opportunity to show their abilities but for any young attacker, it’s tough competing against Salah, Mane and Firmino.

Re Mourinho. You could point to Davide Santon and Balotelli at Inter. No one came through at Chelsea which is obviously memorable but that was possibly systemic. But generally there are a few players here and there. Nonetheless, Kane, Son and Lucas is a pretty strong front three, not to mention the likes of Ali, Lamela and Eriksen who are also attacking players. Compare those guys to who Connolly had to bypass at Brighton, you begin to see what a challenge it is. Can’t see Troy playing more than the odd cup game here and there at least until one of them leaves or gets a bad injury. Someone like Kyle Walker Peters has a much more obvious path to the first team.

As far as the big managers of about 3 years ago went (Guardiola, Klopp, Pochetino, Mourinho, Wenger, Conte).

Wenger was probably the best in trusting young players, then Poch and Klopp, then Guardiola, finally Conte and Mourinho. Still, with the right bit of luck, who knows what could happen...

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    i know we cant wait for the next big Irish thing but he is only 17 after all. it will be two years at least before he is playing regularly for anyone imo..... and he will still only be 19 then!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I think our issue is that Jose got our hopes up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    I think we should wait and see if Troy gets time in the Cup before writing off his chances under Mourinho.
    Thing is, Mourinho doesn't majorly differentiate between the cups. Given Tottenham's trophy drought too, he'll view the FA Cup as a big opportunity to reinforce his reputation as a manager who delivers silverware. Parrott may get the nod if they draw extremely weak opposition, but I wouldn't be overly confident about his chances. I'd be happy if he can continue to make the match day squads and come off the bench here and there.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    As it was a competitive game maybe he wants to tie him to Tottenham?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    A bit more patience required here, as has been pointed out he is 17 years of age.

In and around the squad of the Champions League runners up getting the odd few minutes and training with the first team is a good place to be. I don’t get the clamber for a loan move (yet) and definitely don’t get the the calls for a move to Germany. The boy isn’t even an adult and would be moving to a new country new language new culture new food new methods and with nobody he knows around all with no immediate prospect of more first team football, that is a hell of a gamble considering his development to date and getting a run out for Spurs.

We should be happy enough with where Troy is at for now at least.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    A bit more patience required here, as has been pointed out he is 17 years of age.

In and around the squad of the Champions League runners up getting the odd few minutes and training with the first team is a good place to be. I don’t get the clamber for a loan move (yet) and definitely don’t get the the calls for a move to Germany. The boy isn’t even an adult and would be moving to a new country new language new culture new food new methods and with nobody he knows around all with no immediate prospect of more first team football, that is a hell of a gamble considering his development to date and getting a run out for Spurs.

We should be happy enough with where Troy is at for now at least.
    The Germany thing is lunacy and I guess the loan move to the championship is us ( me anyway) being selfish. re he will more than likely play and get goals giving him 3 months to play his way into the reckoning for Slovakia

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    The Germany thing is lunacy and I guess the loan move to the championship is us ( me anyway) being selfish. re he will more than likely play and get goals giving him 3 months to play his way into the reckoning for Slovakia
    Why is the Germany thing lunacy? Just because its not the usual route for Irish players? Going to Italy was the not the usual route and Robbie took it.

In most cases a kid at 17 would have loads of time and there would be no need to rush him, Idah for example I wouldnt be advocating for him to leave Norwich except maybe on loan. But with Parrott we are seeing a player who has already shown he has out grown underage football. If he is to be the generational player that he has the possibility to be then wasting 2 more years playing with the u23s will only hurt his development. Look at some of the top clubs on the continent this season, Barcelona have played Fati at the age of 16 and he has scored for them, Rodrygo at 18 did the same for Real Madrid during the week. Mbappe looks like the 2nd coming of Pele and is only 20 with a few years of first team football behind him already.

Im not saying that Parrott is Mbappe by any means but what is wrong with wanting him to progress as quickly as possible and at least see if he can become a World Class player. I'd much rather him go somewhere where his talent would be used rather than somewhere like Middlesboro on loan where he will just get kicked week to week.

Stephen Kenny said it himself in recent interview that we in Ireland are too slow to progress young players sometimes.

11. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Personally I've no problem with him not getting an appearance, I don't think there's any rush. As a comparison when Harry Kane was Troys age, he had just finished his first loan move at Leyton Orient and was a couple of months shy of his first appearance for Spurs. Didn't work out too bad for him or England.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    As it was a competitive game maybe he wants to tie him to Tottenham?
    Of course I say this in jest, but it is a good sign, an indication from the boss he sees a future for him at Spurs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I still think he will be playing "regularly enough" with Spurs by the season's end. No need for loan just now. Worth bearing in mind, he has barely played adult football, only started 7 PL2 games last year, and only 1 this year, in addition to his senior league cup appearance and pre-season games. So training with first team for past few months, and introducing him slowly is the right formula. Even a few more PL2 games will do him no harm, don't think it's stagnation as he's played so few games at that level.

He is 18 on Feb 4, Pocc certainly won't be able to ignore him then. That aside, I am confident he will get a few appearances off the bench this side of the new year, and then things will move quickly, similarly to Connolly.
    I still stand by this comment, just replace Pocc with Mourinho. I’m certainly more optimistic than when mourinho first got the job. Let’s see what happens in the next couple of months. Leaving spurs in a bigger risk in January at the age of 17 at this stage. Time will tell

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Okay, so it looks like we'll have to be patient, but that Parrott will get some chances under Mourinho. Firstly, if Football Insider is to be believed, there will be no loan deal and a new, better contract, with Parrott seeking assurances of first-team involvement: https://www.footballinsider247.com/s...m-player-exit/

Mourinho is also quoted as saying the following:
    Parrott is a 17-year-old boy that played five minutes in the Premier League and we’ll give him more time. He needs more time to develop and so yes Harry is fundamental for us.
    https://www.balls.ie/football/mourin...develop-422304

So I'm still hopeful that Parrott will get more game time in the Cup or late in games where the result is already decided and hopefully more than that, if he impresses.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Why is the Germany thing lunacy? Just because its not the usual route for Irish players? Going to Italy was the not the usual route and Robbie took it.

In most cases a kid at 17 would have loads of time and there would be no need to rush him, Idah for example I wouldnt be advocating for him to leave Norwich except maybe on loan. But with Parrott we are seeing a player who has already shown he has out grown underage football. If he is to be the generational player that he has the possibility to be then wasting 2 more years playing with the u23s will only hurt his development. Look at some of the top clubs on the continent this season, Barcelona have played Fati at the age of 16 and he has scored for them, Rodrygo at 18 did the same for Real Madrid during the week. Mbappe looks like the 2nd coming of Pele and is only 20 with a few years of first team football behind him already.

Im not saying that Parrott is Mbappe by any means but what is wrong with wanting him to progress as quickly as possible and at least see if he can become a World Class player. I'd much rather him go somewhere where his talent would be used rather than somewhere like Middlesboro on loan where he will just get kicked week to week.

Stephen Kenny said it himself in recent interview that we in Ireland are too slow to progress young players sometimes.
    He would be swapping one bench for another. He wont walk the starting 11 of Dortmund or Bayern munich. Staying with spurs and go out on loan just like kane did. He turned out ok!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Deserved red card for Son, violent conduct. Assume 3 games and missing the festive season. Potential opportunity for Parrott for more bench spots. And not an injury in sight, hope wishing suspensions upon competing non-irish players is permissible and non-offensive!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Deserved red card for Son, violent conduct. Assume 3 games and missing the festive season. Potential opportunity for Parrott for more bench spots. And not an injury in sight, hope wishing suspensions upon competing non-irish players is permissible and non-offensive!
    Once you don't also state that you hope he gets hit by a bus before completing his ban.
    Last edited by youngirish; 23/12/2019 at 6:14 PM.

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Pulled left hamstring for Kane. A few weeks by the looks of it. Will this be Parrotts chance? Or will Mourinho find another striker in transfer window?

Likely attributable to Mourinho playing him into the ground over the festive season.
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 01/01/2020 at 4:37 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Mourinho on Parrott from today’s press conference:
    “The next step for him is to sign a new contract at the club long-term and then it is for everyone to decide what is the best for his development. In this club, we care about our players. It is also to find the best pathway to develop.”

On the possibility of playing in FA cup on Sunday: “It’s possible, it’s possible.”

Not hugely promising. Appears to be trying to blackmail / pressure him into signing a new long term contract without any guarantee of playing time or definitive pathway. Not exactly the way to hold onto your best young talents. Parrott is in a tricky situation right now. Let’s see what happens in the next few weeks

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Easy imo sign a long term contract with the strict written agreement he can go on loan?

Parrott goers to Charlton ( or the like) and if he is as good as I believe he is, he will do the business there and be a better player for club and country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Kane likely to miss "several weeks" with a torn hamstring - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50986271

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Mourinhos comments show that he doesnt want to use Parrott. I've said it before, if I was Parrott I wouldn't be signing that contract

Page 6 of 61 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast