Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1238

Thread: Troy Parrott F Excelsior Rotterdam (loan from Spurs) b.2002

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Alasdair Gold reporting that Excelsior Rotterdam are one of the teams trying to sign Parrott.
    David Connolly's former club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Loan move to Rotterdam confirmed. Interesting move for Parrott I must say.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    That's an even worse move than when he went to MK Dons. I mean, I don't hugely rate the guy, but how has someone higher up the food chain than that not come in for him?
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    I suppose because he scored three times last year, and one of those was a penalty. He wasn't going to get a Championship move.

Dutch top flight isn't a bad level though, even if Excelsior will probably be battling relegation (despite their good start). He has a chance to make a name for himself. Or to end up looking at a League One loan again this time next year.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    I love this move for him
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,322 Posts
    Excelsior scored less than a goal a game last season, although they have six in two games so far this season
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022%E...isie#Standings

Playing Fortuna Sittard at home on Saturday evening

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,099 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I suppose because he scored three times last year, and one of those was a penalty. He wasn't going to get a Championship move.

Dutch top flight isn't a bad level though, even if Excelsior will probably be battling relegation (despite their good start). He has a chance to make a name for himself. Or to end up looking at a League One loan again this time next year.
    Sums it up well. I think he might have just about got a Championship move next week when things got a little more frantic but I agree that it is a good level and gives him a good chance. Nobody on here, myself included, can find excuses for him if he doesn't go well with season and make some clear progression.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

More like League of Ireland if this doesn't go well. You'd wonder is there a character aspect to this, are better teams turning him down because of off the field stuff? Because I would have thought his stint at MK Dons alone would have at least gotten him a high end League 1 move, rather than having to drop to a club with a 4k stadium at the bottom end of the Eredivisie.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    The Aaron Connolly comparisons are obvious, even the talk of LOI next if it doesn't go well. We thought there was very little future for Connolly with the Venezia disater and now we are hoping the penny has finally dropped. Parrott is only 21, let's not be too quick to write him off. I do think he needs to have a good season as I think his Spurs contract is expiring. If he is the player we hope he is he should one of best players in this division, especially if he realistically wants to be looked at as a future Premiership striker for any club.

I love the move because I think it gets rid of the excuses of the physicality of the lower leagues not suiting a player like him that's bit more technical. A change of scenery could be the makings of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    if he is the player we hope he is he should one of best players in this division
    You are aware Ajax were in the Champions League final a couple of years ago? Feyernoord were in the quarterfinals of the Europa League last year, and Alkmaar got to the semis of the Conference League. The Dutch league is ranked sixth in Europe. There's nine players from it in the preliminary Dutch squad to face us next month.

Parrott has done nothing in his career to suggest he "should one of best players in this division"

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    If he is to be a future Premiership striker he needs to be one of best players in division is what I meant. Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm saying if he is ever going to be the player we thought he could be as a youth he needs to stand out now in this division. Not that he has shown us anything as a pro that he will be a top player, it's time to start if he's ever going to be

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I like the move, if he does well then how likely is it that Feyenoord or PSV or a mid/lower bundesliga team take a punt on him next summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    If he is to be a future Premiership striker he needs to be one of best players in division is what I meant. Maybe I wasn't clear. I'm saying if he is ever going to be the player we thought he could be as a youth he needs to stand out now in this division. Not that he has shown us anything as a pro that he will be a top player, it's time to start if he's ever going to be
    I think we may be better keeping our hopes more realistic. It'd be great if he suddenly turned into the second coming of Zlatan. But playing for a side which will probably be fighting relegation (they were one place above the relegation playoff last season) I think hitting double figures would be an excellent season. And not at all guaranteed - their top scorer last year got 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    856 Posts
    I'm saying if he wants to be of a level of Ollie Watkins for example, not Zlatan. I think there's still a chance he could be a very decent Premiership footballer, but it's obvious he isn't world class. My point is that it's time for him to start showing if he's capable

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    606 Posts
    Ouch, hard to see this being a catapult to greater things. Even if he does reasonably well, it puts him on a par with Jack Byrne at Cambuur - Not even at the level of Dan Crowley at Willem II - right now, Connolly looks like a more viable option in the short-to-medium term

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Not entirely sure what to make of this move but does feels a drop too far down for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,243 Posts
    I'm saying if he wants to be of a level of Ollie Watkins for example, not Zlatan
    Well you're also suggesting a 21-year-old "should one of best players" in a seriously good league known for producing great players. Zlatan is an example of a 21-year-old who was one of the best players in the Dutch league. I think your hopes/expectations are way out here

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    435 Posts
    Yeah you even had some saying anything less than 20 goals and this move is a failure. When the joint top goal scorers in the Eredivisie had 19 goals each and only 22 in all competitions.

Think going to the Eredivisie isn't a bad move in general, but it's when you hear it's to Excelsior Rotterdam rather than Feyenoord Rotterdam you're thinking hmmm was this is best option. Even someone outside the big three like FC Utrecht who finish in the playoff spots for the final European spot in the league.

Though in a way maybe Rotterdam is better than Rotherham at this stage. Doesn't always work out for everyone going abroad but it's good to see he's willing to look beyond the UK for game time. Conor Coventry is probably another lad I think should look beyond the UK.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    I love the move because I think it gets rid of the excuses of the physicality of the lower leagues not suiting a player like him that's bit more technical.
    No harm, but this is a frequently cited observation which I simply don't buy.

For sure, defenders in the very top leagues are very skilful and quick etc, but they simply cannot have got to that level without also being physically strong too - think eg Virgil Van Dyke, who's as strong as an ox, or any number of great Italian defenders like Bonnuci or Chiellini. If guys like that can't outdo the attacker they're up against by skill, speed and positioning etc, then they'll try to bully him with physicality instead, if that's what it takes. And if attackers, indeed all positions, do not possess the requisite physicality to cope at the top level, then unless they're truly exceptional like eg Messi, then they'll struggle.

Which is why so many top players point to a spell in lower league football when young as toughening them up for the next level in their careers. Or don't you imagine that opponents didn't try eg to bully VVD when he was a teenager at Gronnigen, or that he didn't learn a few tricks when he was slugging it out against cloggers in the SPL for Celtic?

As a Spurs fan, I'd love to see TP fulfil his potential, but if he is to do so, imo it won't be by mollycoddling him, or making excuses for him, since physicality is an essential part of the game everywhere, not least, indeed especially, at the very top levels.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    dear god, this is an appalling move.

Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 ... LastLast