Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Parrott F Excelsior Rotterdam (loan from Spurs) b.2002

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Is it getting a bit worrying that Preston have only scored one goal in 6 league games? Incredibly, they’ve won 1 and drawn 5 as they haven’t conceded a goal either!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    He’s been playing v well, scored in league cup game. His finishing has been poor though, he seems to be certainly getting the chances. He knows himself his finishing needs to improve and I’m sure he’s working hard on it.

Today it seems he was isolated up front in a lone role, didn’t do much, so this game seems to be the exception to the good games he’s been having. In time, things should happen. But there is a Deja vu feeling about it again which is a bit uneasy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    It's a positional thing now with Troy. Pretty soon if he continues not to score, he will be seen as as a goal provider or attacking midfielder rather than a goal scorer. Which, if it happens, will begin yet another quest to find the next Robbie Keane.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    It's a positional thing now with Troy. Pretty soon if he continues not to score, he will be seen as as a goal provider or attacking midfielder rather than a goal scorer. Which, if it happens, will begin yet another quest to find the next Robbie Keane.
    And your last point there is the problem because there will never be another Robbie Keane, and young Irish strikers are probably getting unneeded pressure put upon them with "can he be our next Robbie Keane". Think it's been clear for awhile that Parrott is more of a 10 and not a 9. Even Kenny when talking about the lad on his first call up to replace McGoldrick said he's the most similar to McGoldrick and that's why he specifically called him up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    And your last point there is the problem because there will never be another Robbie Keane, and young Irish strikers are probably getting unneeded pressure put upon them with "can he be our next Robbie Keane". Think it's been clear for awhile that Parrott is more of a 10 and not a 9. Even Kenny when talking about the lad on his first call up to replace McGoldrick said he's the most similar to McGoldrick and that's why he specifically called him up.
    Can happen. Keane was good but not that good, it should be possible to produce another one of him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Can happen. Keane was good but not that good, it should be possible to produce another one of him.
    Crikey - define "that good" - Only 3 CONMEBOL and six UEFA players have scored more international goals than him. He scored more international goals than Cavani, Batistuta, Rooney, Henry, van Persie, Brazilian Ronaldo, Romario, Koller, Villa, Zlatan, Batistuta, to name a few... and he played for Ireland! He was a revolutionary striker for us, creating his own chances, regularly scoring worldies, as opposed to just getting on the end of crosses.*

*I've just realized you may have been joking, in which case disregard that last rant

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Keane was great for Ireland, but as I stated previously he wasn’t world class for me. He failed at the very top level with inter milan, failed at Liverpool - sold back to Spurs at a cut price. That was the highest level he succeeded at club wise. Different standards for different folks when it comes to world class I guess. He was a very good player and was brilliant for a limited irish side. A world class striker would have played and succeeded at a top club side. Robbie did not

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    752 Posts
    It's definitely not impossible that we could produce another striker who has as strong a club career as Keane had. I don't think we'll be producing another one that scores 68 international goals in any of our lifetimes though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Keane was great for Ireland, but as I stated previously he wasn’t world class for me. He failed at the very top level with inter milan, failed at Liverpool - sold back to Spurs at a cut price. That was the highest level he succeeded at club wise. Different standards for different folks when it comes to world class I guess. He was a very good player and was brilliant for a limited irish side. A world class striker would have played and succeeded at a top club side. Robbie did not
    That's some rubbish.. I suppose you'd say Rush was world class because he "did it" at Liverpool, even though he barely got a kick in Italy.

Sometimes a player doesn't click at a club, because of club factors, but can be sensational elsewhere

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    The thing Keane had was consistency especially at Int. level but also club football. By top strikers standards he was a few rankings down but consistency wise he was incredible. I think that explains his goal scoring stats. He was around forever as well, Ireland are bad but not that bad and Keane was always around. He did it against everyone but you(if you're as good as Keane) can easily rack up goals against the lower seed teams. Keane played for Ireland when there was an abundance of matches and the gap between the good/average teams and the lower European one's was extremely wide. As stated, it should be possible to produce another player of his ability, so far we haven't come anywhere close. Look at Sweden and Isak. He might not be as good as Ibra but he looks like he'll be a legit Keane level player at least. Before that they had Henrick Larsson so that's a top level striker pretty much every generation. Ireland can't even get a decent 10 goal a season top tier goalscorer.
    Last edited by irishultra; 28/08/2022 at 2:29 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Difference being the rest of Europe moved with the times and the FAI still thought it was 1997 for about the next twenty years till that generation were over the hill and/or retired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Difference being the rest of Europe moved with the times and the FAI still thought it was 1997 for about the next twenty years till that generation were over the hill and/or retired.
    Be that as it may it still doesn't mean that expecting a striker to develop that can actually score goals. Players like Parrott who can't score are a dime a dozen and it's okay for people to wonder who the next great player will be. Robbie Keane wasn't that good. Nobody really expects the next Roy Keane because he was like a once in a century player for a team like Ireland. Robbie Keane is a once in a generation player. It's a hard one because his record was so good but he was like a Craig Bellamy level player.
    Last edited by irishultra; 28/08/2022 at 3:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    parrott will never be prolific hes got great attributes to play behind a striker in a 2. preston struggling big time to create good chances though bar the game before last. rwb a big issue for them according to fans. hopefully lowe puts riis in the team, himself and parrott should work well together

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Did you ever see the programme Sky did on his 100 goals in the Premiership ? World class and one of the leading international scorers of all time. I will never get this anti-Keane thing among many supporters.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Did you ever see the programme Sky did on his 100 goals in the Premiership ? World class and one of the leading international scorers of all time. I will never get this anti-Keane thing among many supporters.
    The Football Cliche podcast touched on this. Keane did not look like a majestic player, his physique and general style looked awkward and I think that's why he might not be given the credit he's due.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    Robbie Keane wasn't that good.
    Give it a rest FFS.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Be that as it may it still doesn't mean that expecting a striker to develop that can actually score goals. Players like Parrott who can't score are a dime a dozen and it's okay for people to wonder who the next great player will be. Robbie Keane wasn't that good. Nobody really expects the next Roy Keane because he was like a once in a century player for a team like Ireland. Robbie Keane is a once in a generation player. It's a hard one because his record was so good but he was like a Craig Bellamy level player.
    I’m not quite 100 but I can think of several midfield players who were at least on a par with Roy Keane. Brady, Giles, Whelan (R) come to mind. I think the Bellamy comparison with Robbie is a little bit unflattering to be honest. His international record is way better. When he played alongside Berbatov at Spurs they were probably perceived as being similar level players. Benitez never really wanted him at Liverpool and I don’t think he got a fair chance, but during his two spells at Spurs I’d be surprised if his goals record wasn’t better than anything Bellllamy managed.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    If robbie had stuck with one premier league club. There would now be a stand now named after him. He moved around willy nilly Liverpool is only one chapter. Anyone who thinks we will have another robbie in the next 20 years isn't understanding history. Quinn, aldo, Stapleton etc circa 19 International goals. Robbie 68! Its not complicated

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    431 Posts
    Can't even develop strikers that will get 125 PL appearences never mind 125 PL goals but people are hoping the next Robbie is just around the corner. If we develop a decent championship scoring striker we should be delighted never mind a top level PL scorer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Can't even develop strikers that will get 125 PL appearences never mind 125 PL goals but people are hoping the next Robbie is just around the corner. If we develop a decent championship scoring striker we should be delighted never mind a top level PL scorer.
    There is even more competition from around the world now ~ So that would make it more difficult in any case.

Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast