Results 981 to 1,000 of 1231

Thread: Troy Parrott F Excelsior Rotterdam (loan from Spurs) b.2002

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    There is even more competition from around the world now ~ So that would make it more difficult in any case.
    Yup, rest of the world moved on with modern times and the flood gates opened allowing young players from all over move to England and the FAI thought English clubs were still gonna develop our players like the good old days.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    It's definitely not impossible that we could produce another striker who has as strong a club career as Keane had. I don't think we'll be producing another one that scores 68 international goals in any of our lifetimes though.
    I think this is the best point of view - 125 PL goals in 350 games is excellent but attainable - 68 International goals in 146 appearances is phenomenal. I'm optimistic about the future of our current striking options but not because I think there is somebody comparable to Keane there who will score over 60 goals for us, but because I think there is scope for the youngsters to combine to match the scoring record of Keane and his main striking team-mates through his Ireland career (Quinn's last 4 years, Morrison, Doyle, Long and Walters) - a total of 127. For that, we need 4 forwards capable of scoring 30 goals, or 5 capable of 25, etc. And while that has never happened in Irish football before, I can see it happening now, with so many hugely talented youngsters breaking through at the same time.

I can definitely see Parrott, Obafemi and Idah being able to get 30, we'll see if Connolly can turn things around. The next year should us allow to start really evaluating whether Ferguson, Odubeko and OkoFlex could also be capable of scoring significantly more than Niall Quinn - I'm going to make a bold statement and say that I think Evan Ferguson might be the forward counterpart to Nathan Collins in terms of ability. And, given how awesome his cameos for QPR have been to date, Sinclair Armstrong might also bring something special to the national team. And, now that he appears to have found his scoring boots, even Chiedozie Ogbene could hit 20-30. So between those nine, I think 125 international goals is possible (they're already 5% of the way there!)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Sorry Sam, your optimism is admirable but fanciful. There's a lot of hope, hype and best wishes for these guys but I cannot see any of them reaching such heights. Idah has been unlucky with injuries but his performances for Norwich and Ireland simply do not earn that forecast. Parrott the same, lots of promise, a good Scotland goal, a Lithuania face saver and a few at L1 level - but 30 goals for Ireland? Unlikely. And Connolly? - it won't happen, fullstop. Best outside bet is Obafemi if he stays fit and interested - but, again, 30 goals is a big call. Throw in Ogbene and I still doubt their combined total will trouble Keane's record.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 31/08/2022 at 2:20 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    742 Posts
    No, they won't all reach 30. I'd say maybe one might - Parrott might be the best bet as he's already on four. So to get to 30 he'd need to average two goals a year for 13 years which would take him up to 33 years of age. That doesn't seem an unreasonable target for him.

Unfortunately I'd be surprised if all three of Connolly, Obafemi and Idah are all still playing at a high level into their 30s. Injuries are bound to take out one or two of our emerging players as time goes on and both Obafemi and Idah have had their issues already. Connolly has the talent to come back and have a good career but he could as easily be out of the game in three years time if he doesn't turn things around fairly sharpish.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    First defeat of the season for Preston - but after eight games, they've two wins (both 1-0), five draws (all 0-0) and one defeat (1-0)

So three goals in eight games. You wonder what the record for going on this sort of run is.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    First defeat of the season for Preston - but after eight games, they've two wins (both 1-0), five draws (all 0-0) and one defeat (1-0)

So three goals in eight games. You wonder what the record for going on this sort of run is.
    What's the problem? Sure our Stephen went seven games without a goal, ramped up 88% fan approval, got himself a nice new contract and a slot on the Late Late. Ryan Lowe just needs more time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    Genuinely would be better going back to MK Dons…am absolutely dire loan.
    Vindicated at least.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Vindicated at least.
    MK Dons who are bottom three in League One?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Vindicated at least.
    strange

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    MK Dons who are bottom three in League One?
    Or the side that has scored 3 goals in 9…this loan has gone just as bad as we could have expected based on how they play.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Ogbene scoring again tonight for Rotherham...gives Kenny food for thought over the next few weeks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insidetherock View Post
    Ogbene scoring again tonight for Rotherham...gives Kenny food for thought over the next few weeks
    we havent a hope if kenny plays ogbene as a forward against any sort of decent opposition. he was desperate in the last window up top.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    In fairness a few players were desperate in those first two games. Molumby and Browne coming in made a big difference energy wise with Robinson, Hendrick, Coleman/Christie not in the XI. Obviously the two lads up top were the difference makers on the score sheet but we were so lackluster in the middle of the pitch for the first two games.

Armenia at home yeah I think Ogbene is gonna be nullified easily because they're gonna sit men behind the ball but away to Scotland and they will more than likely need to get a result against use so will have to attack us leaving space and their defence isn't good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    He's just not got enough if the attributes you need to be good up there. Scotland may leave space but we will also have spells of possession. We'll need some ball retention from goal kicks etc. Ogbene is poor with his back to goal. Kennys insistence on him being a forward is one of his most bizarre stances imo.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Parrott will likely be in the squad and probably in the team to face Scotland. He barely deserves the former and certainly not the latter. He's young, promising and all the rest, but if we're serious about the here-and-now then Hogan, Keane and Ogbene - limited as they are - are the candidates. The form players, those most likely to score at this point in time.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Parrott will likely be in the squad and probably in the team to face Scotland. He barely deserves the former and certainly not the latter. He's young, promising and all the rest, but if we're serious about the here-and-now then Hogan, Keane and Ogbene - limited as they are - are the candidates. The form players, those most likely to score at this point in time.
    Hogan and Keane have looked miles off international level any time they have played for Ireland. Miles. Parrott has done well and has scored.

You are obviously ranking club form above all else. But I can't agree with that. Hogan and Keane haven't adapted to international football like they have lower Championship/upper League One football. They haven't adapted to their teammates, the environment, the playing style etc of the international team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Hogan and Keane have looked miles off international level any time they have played for Ireland. Miles. Parrott has done well and has scored.

You are obviously ranking club form above all else. But I can't agree with that. Hogan and Keane haven't adapted to international football like they have lower Championship/upper League One football. They haven't adapted to their teammates, the environment, the playing style etc of the international team.
    Parrott currently looks miles off a standard where these guys are scoring. Miles. Current club form must go beyond tokenism. That a clearly struggling player should get preference over those who aren't seems basically unfair. Having said that, I'm jumping the gun before a squad or team is selected.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 15/09/2022 at 6:28 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    They are more likely to score because they don’t play for a side as toothless as Preston.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Parrott currently looks miles off a standard where these guys are scoring. Miles. Current club form must go beyond tokenism. That a clearly struggling player should get preference over those who aren't seems basically unfair. Having said that, I'm jumping the gun before a squad or team is selected.
    Are any of these players scoring for Preston? Until they are it isn’t a fair comparison. Secondly you clearly haven’t been watching him if you think he’s miles off the standard, his biggest issue has been that he isn’t scoring goals.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Are any of these players scoring for Preston? Until they are it isn’t a fair comparison. Secondly you clearly haven’t been watching him if you think he’s miles off the standard, his biggest issue has been that he isn’t scoring goals.
    I agree - a forward not scoring goals has issues. Hogan is scoring goals.

Page 50 of 62 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast