Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Parrott F AZ Alkmaar b.2002

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    MK Dons might have no Irish players in two years' time.

But they'll still be the precedent for moving your club 50 miles away against the wishes of the fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Good to see him get back to scoring, the second goal was class, and certainly noises suggest he has turned a corner the past 4 – 6 weeks. That said, Spurs recently brought in Kulusevski who plays a position/ role similar to Parrott. As Kulusevski was brought in by Conte, and likely will be favoured by Conte going forward for that reason, Parrott really needs to kick on from here if the goal is to get into the Spurs team. Ability wise I think he is better than Kulusevski but his adjustment to senior football has been slow to say the least and maybe Spurs have already moved on ….?
    no chance parrot is at kulusevskis level tbh, outlandlish claim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    I think ability wise he is better than Kulusevski. Is he at Kulusevski’s current level? – no, but that outlandish claim was not made. :-)

It is not that long ago that Parrott was outshining Kulusevski in an underage international match btw …..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    I think ability wise he is better than Kulusevski. Is he at Kulusevski’s current level? – no, but that outlandish claim was not made. :-)
    You seem to have an unusual definition of "ability-wise".

Do you mean you think he has more potential than Kulusevski?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    You seem to have an unusual definition of "ability-wise".
    I do?

Do you mean you think he has more potential than Kulusevski?
    Not necessarily. I mean technically, ability-wise, Parrott is better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    kulusevski has played nearly 6000 minutes at serie a level. parrott has had one good loan spell in league 1 , can you stop with the nonsense.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    On what basis do you think the 20-times capped Swedish international who already has two goals and three assists in seven games for Spurs (not to mention his 75 games for Juve) is better than the League One forward who has 7 goals in 63 games in the English third tier, and has generally looked lost at senior international level?

I mean something slightly deeper than just "ability-wise".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    I haven’t said Parrott is better than Kulusevski. I’ve said ability wise I think he is better – and subsequently clarified this to mean technical ability. There is no question that Kulusevski has achieved more than Parrott in his career to date, there is no comparison and I'm not saying otherwise, but this is not in conflict with having the opinion that one aspect of Parrott’s game is better than Kulusevski.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    I think even that's a fairly big claim to be honest.

What parts of Parrott's game do you think are lacking to make up for the evident ("no comparison") difference between the two players?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    You can read between the lines yourself but on his recent improvement in fortune he said the following:

"But I just realised I couldn’t sit around and let it go by. I needed to make every time I was on the pitch count, and give it 110% every game. Ultimately, you get one shot at it, and I want to be a footballer. I want to play at a high level, and I realised that I couldn’t just let it go by. Form comes into it a little bit, and confidence. But I’ve come to terms with it.. If I run the way I do, and if I give it 110% the rest will look after itself. Form is temporary, and giving 110% every week is something that I can choose to do. It’s my choice if I want to do that every week or not. And that’s what I want to do."

As an aside, I thought Anthony Stokes was technically very good but .....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    no chance parrot is at kulusevskis level tbh, outlandlish claim.
    It's a complete load of nonsense. One of them has already played 100 games at serie A and pl level scoring 17 goals! Outstanding for an attacking midfielder / winger at 21 years of age.

The other (less than a year younger) is finding his feet in league one. Hopefully Troy will make it as a PL player in a few years but he has a good bit still to go.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    You can read between the lines yourself but on his recent improvement in fortune he said the following:

"But I just realised I couldn’t sit around and let it go by. I needed to make every time I was on the pitch count, and give it 110% every game. Ultimately, you get one shot at it, and I want to be a footballer. I want to play at a high level, and I realised that I couldn’t just let it go by. Form comes into it a little bit, and confidence. But I’ve come to terms with it.. If I run the way I do, and if I give it 110% the rest will look after itself. Form is temporary, and giving 110% every week is something that I can choose to do. It’s my choice if I want to do that every week or not. And that’s what I want to do."
    I don't see what that has to do with the matter to be honest.

110% is pretty much the ultimate footballing cliché. Doesn't mean he's technically better than a winger with 125 games at Serie A/Premier League level and who's hit the ground running at Spurs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

110% is pretty much the ultimate footballing cliché. Doesn't mean he's technically better than a winger with 125 games at Serie A/Premier League level and who's hit the ground running at Spurs.
    I think forget making comparisons, the important thing here is that Parrott is basically admitting he wasn't doing the necessary, living right etc. and has woken up and now is. If him and Obafemi have both copped on and committed to the professional life and the sacrifices and hard work, that's two super players we'll have at our disposal.

This is great.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    380 Posts
    Surprising Juventus let him go to Spurs the way he's being talked up. :-) And more surprising taking up the technical ability of an Irish player, on an Irish football forum, would receive such a backlash. :-) But again to be clear, there is no question that Kulusevski has achieved more than Parrott in his career to date, there is no comparison and I'm not saying otherwise. I simply think Parrott has a better technical ability - and that's not a far-fetched opinion to have. Granted there is no scientific measure for this but we are all capable of forming opinions from playing the game ourselves, understanding from that what is technically easy/ difficult to do, and watching the players in question play. Anyways I'll leave it there.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Surprising Juventus let him go to Spurs the way he's being talked up. :-) And more surprising taking up the technical ability of an Irish player, on an Irish football forum, would receive such a backlash

a lot of us on here are delighted hes doing well after 2 pretty bad loan moves. i dont think anyone should start overreacting after a good 6 week stretch by saying he has the same technical level as a 21 year old who is currently starting and effecting games weekly at a top 6 PL side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    I think forget making comparisons, the important thing here is that Parrott is basically admitting he wasn't doing the necessary, living right etc. and has woken up and now is. If him and Obafemi have both copped on and committed to the professional life and the sacrifices and hard work, that's two super players we'll have at our disposal.

This is great.
    I don't think anyone's arguing against that.

But right now, Kulusevski is far the better player and to suggest he's merely "achieved more than Parrott in his career to date" is really disingenuous to be honest. There's a reason he's played 125 games at the top level and Parrott has a couple of sub appearances.

I think the continual huge over-estimation of young Irish players is a recurring theme here, which is why it often provokes a reaction.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Parrott is 20, feels like he is learning to be a pro this season and will be better for it. He was always seen as a wonderkid and maybe didnt have to work too hard to be good in underage football. Maybe the penny has dropped with him now and he will kick on.

Its not just about his goals either. MK Dons fans on social media all seem to love him. Ive seen things like "He runs the show". He might be developing into a very decent all round footballer.

All you can ask of a lad when he goes on loan is that he gets in the team and plays well. Parrott is doing that so it'll be interesting to see what happens when he has a preseason with Spurs. Hopefully he puts in the same effort and who knows.......HES STILL ONLY 20!!!!!!!

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I'm going to row in behind IFK here, because I feel I know what he's getting at, not just on one level, but two.

Troy Parrott is the most gifted footballer to come from Ireland in more than a generation, and he's different to anything we have, or have had for some time.
    Is IFK saying that Parrott has demonstrated that he is a better player than Kula? No he's not. Has IFK seen Kula at underage level, when the rest of us have not? Yes he has.
    He's saying that from what he's seen (at least I think), that Troy has the better technical ability - whether that's touch, close control, ability to work the ball in tight spaces, whatever you're having yourself, the things that physiology has nothing to do with. That's probably a fair call.

there's a couple of things worth pointing out. Kula has immense upper body strength - incredible for someone so young. And he's tall to add to that. He looks like a man already, and I remember when watching a little bit with Parma, the italian based fans saying on one of the forums that there was a world of difference between his two loan spells, and the second time he could really handle himself. It's worth pointing out that he is just about two years older than Troy, which is a big deal at their respective ages.

This is a public forum, so there's a limit to what one can say (and being able to justify). But the comments above attributed to Parrott are very prescient. He has a microscope on him that plenty of other kids wouldn't have due to his background, and his connections are seemingly well-known. The worst thing about wasting talent is when people predict it's going to happen - his brother seemingly was a very very good footballer too, but maybe didn't have the head to focus on goals. It seems like Troy realised he was circling the drain and is doing something to stem the flow.

The Stokes reference is a real spine-tingler as well. That guy should have had the world at his feet - that's not exaggeration, it's not speculation, it's fact. The kid was a genius, and he, we, all of us, let it slip away. Maybe for the best.

One of the things I get sick of on this forum (and perhaps football generally) is this reliance on stats. "oh you're a winger, how many assists do you have?" oh you're a cb, how many interceptions do you make? Pigeon-holing players and then evaluating them based on stats. Parrott will never be the goal machine that a lot of people here seem to think he'll be, or the goalscorer people want to see as the natural heir to Robbie. His game isn't being the free-scoring 9. His game is being the guy to run the show, the player who creates chaos around and slips in others to get the plaudits, while having the ability to bang in a goal pretty much from anywhere.

He's still a boy, with a boy physique finding his way in the world. He'll become the man we need him to become in good time hopefully. And if he does, we'll likely see that his ceiling is indeed higher than Kula's.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

Then you've no understanding of the matter at hand, at all, because it's entirely relevant to this particular player, from that particular environment, and from that particular community.
    and where are you pulling the 125 games at Serie A/PL stat from?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    922 Posts
    Ive not watched Kulusevski so I cant give a comparison. Did he play for Sweden u21s against Ireland with Parrott in the team a few years back under Kenny? If so back then Parrott looked probably the best player on either team

Page 40 of 70 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast