International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's a heavy touch and then some!
    I don't see a heavy touch.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It took him clear of the defender and took the defender out of the frame, and it was into a space not quite close enough to goal to commit the keeper. He accelerated and finished well. What on earth is there to moan about? I mean I’d have preferred he used his left for aesthetics but objectively speaking Parrott did really well there. If the ball hadn’t been put into that space the defender was back for a second bite.
    Saw all these though & would agree with this apart from the finish, which was class. A lot of players would have gone with the left, very few could execute how he did off the right.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 17/04/2022 at 2:10 PM.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Is it really that heavy a touch? It took him clear of the defender and took the defender out of the frame, and it was into a space not quite close enough to goal to commit the keeper. He accelerated and finished well. What on earth is there to moan about? I mean I’d have preferred he used his left for aesthetics but objectively speaking Parrott did really well there. If the ball hadn’t been put into that space the defender was back for a second bite.
    I like to see the ball go in the net in those situations ~ ~ Aesthetics are a bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    Is it really that heavy a touch? It took him clear of the defender and took the defender out of the frame, and it was into a space not quite close enough to goal to commit the keeper. He accelerated and finished well. What on earth is there to moan about? I mean I’d have preferred he used his left for aesthetics but objectively speaking Parrott did really well there. If the ball hadn’t been put into that space the defender was back for a second bite.
    The finish was absolutely perfect. Like a chip to the green on Augusta. I think it was a slightly heavier touch than he was wanting but the recovery was spot on. Maybe similar to Idah’s goal against Everton in that respect (so might get away with it in the Premier League, Stu!). Nothing to be sniffed at.

I grabbed the last 15/20 minutes of the Dons/Wednesday game yesterday actually and he was really involved and had an air of quality about him when he was on the ball. Had a shot from outside the box in the last minute of injury time which the keeper saved that he might have wanted back. All in all, though, Parrot had that look about him.
    Last edited by SkStu; 17/04/2022 at 2:06 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    I wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise.
    Sorry, I wasn’t arguing against your post at all - other than the touch, a little bit - though I can see that it might have come across that way!

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Sorry, I wasn’t arguing against your post at all - other than the touch, a little bit - though I can see that it might have come across that way!
    sorry I meant to quote seanfhear’s post! I was only trying to say the goal would only have been more pleasing had he taken it with his left, but it was a classy goal all the same. Yeah a more alert or quicker keeper might have made a difference but I actually think THAT touch was what made the goal. Without it he was still in a contest with the defender and wasn’t suddenly 1-on-1 with a keeper unsure what to do. I mean yeah, the touch might have taken the ball a metre further than he’d have liked but to actually see the first touch as something he got away with just amazes me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    Thing is guys.. we're talking about 4 young.. really young lads.. if even one of them became the next Robbie Keane, we'd be over the moon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Having seen criticism of Parrott’s touch from this goal and criticism of Idah’s touch on a goal vs Everton I suspect there’s a bit of a misunderstanding of what these guys are doing — not every touch from a striker should be aimed at total control.

The aim is to redirect the ball in a way that will set you up for your shot and/or make it difficult for defenders to react. A very frustrating thing from some forwards is a predisposition to control the ball in the final third rather than aim to set up a shot through deliberate redirection.

Hold up play has value of course but deliberate redirections, even when not perfectly executed, are destabilizing and difficult to defend against.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I find it funny that that is your first response to a lovely goal like that. The half empty glass in front of you must be annoying.
    Play the ball, not the man. Trolling is against forum rules.

I don't agree with Stutts - I think a better keeper would have gotten to that - but he has my respect for disagreeing with the opinion instead of whining about it like a spoiled child.

Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    ... deliberate redirections, even when not perfectly executed, are destabilizing and difficult to defend against.
    This one I agree with. Parrott knew what he was doing there, and if he maybe slightly overhit it, he got away with it and finished sweetly.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    This is a good point. Something I've been trying to do playing football as I get older and slower is to try to intentionally take a first touch that puts the ball about a yard away from where I am if a defender is closing me down hard. The idea being that I don't have the pace to take them on and run around them from a standing start any more, so doing that gives me a head start and a better chance to get a shot or forward pass away.

Not that anything I do should be compared to professional players but the principle is the same I think.

(Having said all that I still think Idah's one might have been a slightly heavy touch.)

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Having seen criticism of Parrott’s touch from this goal and criticism of Idah’s touch on a goal vs Everton I suspect there’s a bit of a misunderstanding of what these guys are doing — not every touch from a striker should be aimed at total control.

The aim is to redirect the ball in a way that will set you up for your shot and/or make it difficult for defenders to react. A very frustrating thing from some forwards is a predisposition to control the ball in the final third rather than aim to set up a shot through deliberate redirection.

Hold up play has value of course but deliberate redirections, even when not perfectly executed, are destabilizing and difficult to defend against.
    So what your saying is sometimes it's better ~ ~ Not to have the ball resting in your account, sorry your control ! !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post

I don't agree with Stutts - I think a better keeper would have gotten to that - but he has my respect for disagreeing with the opinion instead of whining about it like a spoiled child.
    Thanks. I did actually say this too btw "Yeah a more alert or quicker keeper might have made a difference but..."!

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    864 Posts
    I had to go back an look at the goal again because I was surprised to see the heavy touch comments here. I honestly dont see it. It looks like he was fully in control of what he wanted to do. The touch to bring the ball away from the defender was far enough that it gave the defender no hope.

Dont disagree that a higher standard keeper might have done better, but I also think the way he finished with the right foot would have caught a lot of good keeper out too

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I had to go back an look at the goal again because I was surprised to see the heavy touch comments here. I honestly dont see it. It looks like he was fully in control of what he wanted to do. The touch to bring the ball away from the defender was far enough that it gave the defender no hope.

Dont disagree that a higher standard keeper might have done better, but I also think the way he finished with the right foot would have caught a lot of good keeper out too
    I agree with this. The finish is quality taking it early with the right foot is something keeper isn't going to expect. If yiu take that with the left you have tightened the angle for yourself and allowed the keeper to spread himself for the save

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

I agree totally that the purpose of the first touch is to make the second touch easier. One that really stands out for me was Serge Gnabry for Munich at Spurs in 2019(?). The ball came over his head and it’d have been a hard one for most players to take down but his first touch was so perfect it meant he could hardly miss afterwards. It was a thing of raw beauty!

I think Parrott’s was a pretty good first touch here. I think Idah’s first touch at Everton was a fluke tbh, I just don’t think he intended it at all even if it worked out perfectly.

There’s a lot of debate over whether Shane Long’s touch with his knee against Germany was deliberate or afluke. I personally think he knew what he was doing. It was improvised and maybe came off better than he could have wished for but I think he was trying to push the ball into a spot where his next touch was a shot.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 19/04/2022 at 9:05 AM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Nice finish against an international keeper although the defender didn't cover himself in glory. He had a chance to draw the game in the 10th minute of injury time but snatched at it (thank God, sorry). Great goal by Bannan in the same game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQeWPsL-DaA There is an Irish flag among the MK Dons behind the goal.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 19/04/2022 at 9:56 AM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,255 Posts
    A 5-0 win for MK Dons to finish the (regular) season - four goals for Parrott's strike partner but none for Troy. I know it's a team game and Parrott may have picked up an assist or two, but you imagine that has to smart!

Looks like they're going to miss out on automatic promotion by a point behind Rotherham, so into the play-offs.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    It's great they are in playoffs. High pressure hight profile 2 legged semi and then hopefully big day at Wembley Nd keep troy playing football for a few more weeks so in good shape for june

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    It's great they are in playoffs. High pressure hight profile 2 legged semi and then hopefully big day at Wembley Nd keep troy playing football for a few more weeks so in good shape for june
    I'd say they are delighted with the way the playoff draw has worked out. a derby is never great, but they should have too much for Wycombe. Regardless of who they face in the final, they'll be underdogs, and their opponents will be under incredible pressure (Weds or Sunderland)
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 45 of 65 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast