Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Parrott F Excelsior Rotterdam (loan from Spurs) b.2002

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Bamford's 4 goals were in 12 games because of injury. Really his season started in March. So that's quite respectable for a young striker I think.

"Minutes played" as a stat is largely meaningless btw.

But let's see what happens next season. I find it doubtful that Parrott will score 20 senior goals unfortunately.
    It is relevant when you have only played 12 minutes.
    We’ll then you’re clearly biased so it’s a pointless argument

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Parrott was a world class youth player. He literally destroyed young defenders at the biggest clubs in the world. Incredibly impressive so I can see why people were very excited. He looks very average at senior level thus far, but he has just gone 19 and he was baptised as the great white hope of Irish football from about the age of 16. To be fair, even the English pundits were namechecking him as potentially outstanding.

I think he has it in his locker to be a good international class player in the Premier League but I see nothing to tell me he can be a world class senior player. Plenty of lads can't make the jump up and in some ways Troy is a lesson for me not to be overly excited of the Zefis and Fergusons of this world. Different players develop and decline at different ages and the gap between 16 and 18 or 19 is huge. 2 years ago, I would have said Jason Knight, Nathal Collins and Dara O'Shea would have a good chance of making it as professionals. Now, I think they will have long and successful careers in the Premier League.

What I would say is that confidence is key and a good loan spell to a continental team might be the makings of him.
    That’s the point, players develop at different rates so we just need to wait and see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSAD View Post
    He was 18 when he first went on loan this season. At this same point Bamford had played 12 minutes and you are hailing him like a god. Want to highlight that this was his second season? This season was Parrotts first and which he 1560 minutes compared to Bamford’s 12 minutes.
    Hailing him like a god? I have better things to do than refute strawman BS.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I agree it's too early to properly compare the two, although Bamford did get three assists on his debut, which was at Parrott's current age, when he's been sent back with nothing really to show for his spell. But that's not enough data to judge him on.

But Bamford did score 18 in 37 league games for MK Dons, and if he's in his third season, then Parrott's in his second season. Bamford's first goal - which probably would have come earlier but for three months out with injury - was was at the age Parrott will be when the new season starts. Bamford then scored 21 (including cup goals) in the following nine months, before moving up a division.

It doesn't really matter of course if Parrott maps Bamford's career out to the game. But I think we can agree they're the baseline markers.
    By that logic hes not as good as Robbie Keane, who lets face it his career was top 6 permiership. Great Irish player of course. But not world class, which the way some of the talk about Parrott was going thats where he was headed
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    That’s the point, players develop at different rates so we just need to wait and see what happens.
    We dont really. There are exceptions to most rules, and Bamford was probably one of those a late bloomer, and the right trajectory at pivotal points in his career. Vardy is another exception. Parrot was being touted as a great player with great potential. He scored a couple of goals for the u21s and there were calls to play him at senior level, and it wasn't just out of desperation. He has done very little to show outside of youth football he has got anything other than the ability to outshine his peers at youth level.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    How can anyone try to hype a striker on the basis on scoring 1 goal in 1560 minutes? I worked for a Sports Data Collection company until last month. We covered every League 1 game live. I saw plenty of Parrott with Ipswich and very little to get overly excited about. All that he's proven this season is that he's currently nowhere near Championship standard and, at a push, not a good League 1 striker yet either. He's young enough to have the potential the develop alright. For his sake (and the sake of us all) I hope he does so but he should be well behind Connolly and Idah at the moment in the pecking order by any metric.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

7. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    He was 18 when he first went on loan this season. At this same point Bamford had played 12 minutes and you are hailing him like a god. Want to highlight that this was his second season? This season was Parrotts first and which he 1560 minutes compared to Bamford’s 12 minutes.
    Bamford's 3 assists on his MK Dons were not in different seasons to Parrott's

Parrott played four games (95 minutes) for Spurs in the 19/20 season. So if Bamford's first season was 12 minutes for Forest and his second was 3 assists on his debut, then Parrott's first season was last year and his second has seen 29 games and 1 goal.

It is relevant when you have only played 12 minutes.
    We’ll then you’re clearly biased so it’s a pointless argument
    I'm "clearly biased"? How on earth do you figure that?

If Parrott had done something in his 1650 minutes on the pitch, it would definitely be relevant. But I'm sure Bamford could have played those games and not scored at the same age as well.

I think next season, while far from a make-or-break year for Parrott, will tell a lot about how far he's going to go.

Also - would you ever relax a bit. It's great to see new posters on the board, but there's no need to be quite so aggressive. (I see you've quietly dropped your complaints about 18 goals in 37 league games for example)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 22/04/2021 at 2:42 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Bamford's 3 assists on his MK Dons were not in different seasons to Parrott's

Parrott played four games (95 minutes) for Spurs in the 19/20 season. So if Bamford's first season was 12 minutes for Forest and his second was 3 assists on his debut, then Parrott's first season was last year and his second has seen 29 games and 1 goal.

I'm "clearly biased"? How on earth do you figure that?

If Parrott had done something in his 1650 minutes on the pitch, it would definitely be relevant. But I'm sure Bamford could have played those games and not scored at the same age as well.

I think next season, while far from a make-or-break year for Parrott, will tell a lot about how far he's going to go.

Also - would you ever relax a bit. It's great to see new posters on the board, but there's no need to be quite so aggressive. (I see you've quietly dropped your complaints about 18 goals in 37 league games for example)
    They were in different seasons. Those assists came in his second season. His 3 assists came in the 2012/2013 season when he was 19 going on 20, so Parrott played 95 minutes for a top 6 club whereas Bamford played 12 minutes for a championship club and people have the audacity to compare the two in the same season, surely that in itself should tell you who’s done more at that point in their career.

29 games in parrots first season compared to 2 games in Bamford’s. That’s the direct comparison.

What has Bamford done in his 12 minutes on the field? If you weren’t biased you’d compare the two in the same playing Field when they were both 18/19 years old, right now you were comparing a 18/19 year old with a 19/20 & 20/21 year old.

Because this argument is incredibly stupid,
    Last edited by CSAD; 22/04/2021 at 3:52 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    How can anyone try to hype a striker on the basis on scoring 1 goal in 1560 minutes? I worked for a Sports Data Collection company until last month. We covered every League 1 game live. I saw plenty of Parrott with Ipswich and very little to get overly excited about. All that he's proven this season is that he's currently nowhere near Championship standard and, at a push, not a good League 1 striker yet either. He's young enough to have the potential the develop alright. For his sake (and the sake of us all) I hope he does so but he should be well behind Connolly and Idah at the moment in the pecking order by any metric.
    Unless you have been under a rock you’d have known that he isn’t being hyped based on what he was like this season.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Unless you have been under a rock you’d have known that he isn’t being hyped based on what he was like this season.
    I'll rephrase then. Hyping him at all, on the back of the season he's had, is bewildering.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I'll rephrase then. Hyping him at all, on the back of the season he's had, is bewildering.
    I’m just comparing because many on here are comparing a 18 year old in his first season with a 20 year old in his 3rd.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    What has Bamford done in his 12 minutes on the field? If you weren’t biased you’d compare the two in the same playing Field when they were both 18/19 years old, right now you were comparing a 18/19 year old with a 19/20 & 20/21 year old.
    Just because I'm coming in pointing out errors in your posts - such as denying 18 goals in 37 games, or your continual mis-counting of the players' senior seasons, which you're after doing again in your most recent post - doesn't mean I'm biased. And there's still no need to be quite so aggressive.

FWIW, tomorrow Parrott is the exact same age as Bamford was when he got those three assists on his MK Dons debut. The clock to obscurity starts then...

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Anyway I am more worried that some one said, he lacked pace. You need to be a pretty exceptional player ( especially a Forward ) if you lack pace. the defenders are just too good and too pacy if you can't test them with pace.
    Yeah that was me who said that. There are lots of players that lack pace and still do well, but I thought at times he looked cumbersome. Not only a lack of speed but also a lack of quick thinking.

Ive completely flip flopped on my opinion of Parrott. Its not that long ago I was calling for him to start for Ireland. I thought he would get a big confidence boost after his first goal but that never happened and hes actually looked worse since.

The Stokes or Graham Barrett comparisons look fairly accurate right now

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Yeah that was me who said that. There are lots of players that lack pace and still do well, but I thought at times he looked cumbersome. Not only a lack of speed but also a lack of quick thinking.

Ive completely flip flopped on my opinion of Parrott. Its not that long ago I was calling for him to start for Ireland. I thought he would get a big confidence boost after his first goal but that never happened and hes actually looked worse since.

The Stokes or Graham Barrett comparisons look fairly accurate right now
    Barrett was a tragedy. All those injuries destroyed him. I think he could have been a wonderful player but thems the breaks in the game. I remember him captaining Arsenal to the Fa Youth Cup and all the big English journalists talking about him as the next big Gunner...a little like the boy Troy I guess to be fair.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Just because I'm coming in pointing out errors in your posts - such as denying 18 goals in 37 games, or your continual mis-counting of the players' senior seasons, which you're after doing again in your most recent post - doesn't mean I'm biased. And there's still no need to be quite so aggressive.

FWIW, tomorrow Parrott is the exact same age as Bamford was when he got those three assists on his MK Dons debut. The clock to obscurity starts then...
    Comparing the two this season for Parrott is the equivalence of comparing Bamford from the 11/12 season, his MK Dons loan is irrelevant.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Being a tool is probably a bigger hinderance.
    Huge LOL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Comparing the two this season for Parrott is the equivalence of comparing Bamford from the 11/12 season, his MK Dons loan is irrelevant.
    I haven't played any senior seasons of football yet. I'm in my late thirties, but it's good to know that Bamford was 0 minutes of senior football ahead of me at the same point in his career.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Granularity is critical. Let’s keep drilling. We should look into Mrs Bamford folic acid and vitamin D intake during the first trimester to line up with Mrs Parrots.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    There's a bang of 'he's 28 until he's 29' off these first or second season arguments. I don't really get what Bamford has to do with this anyway.

His coaches at Spurs obviously rate him and have tried to get him experience at different levels but it hasn't really happened yet. I'm sure they won't give up so it's a bit pointless drawing wide-ranging conclusions now, particularly comparing him with one of the best strikers around at the moment.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    There's a bang of 'he's 28 until he's 29' off these first or second season arguments. I don't really get what Bamford has to do with this anyway.

His coaches at Spurs obviously rate him and have tried to get him experience at different levels but it hasn't really happened yet. I'm sure they won't give up so it's a bit pointless drawing wide-ranging conclusions now, particularly comparing him with one of the best strikers around at the moment.
    People are saying Bamford was doing much more at the same point in his career which is just blatantly wrong.

He’s scored consistently at every level he’s been at except senior level but that will come with time.

Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast