Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Parrott F Excelsior Rotterdam (loan from Spurs) b.2002

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Exgrad View Post
    He would be much better off returning to Spurs and getting game time at their u23 level (if he can get back in their team).
    Yeah, but with it comes a tacit acknowledgement that he's not up to League One standard yet.

As you say, you'd have liked to see him knock in a few goals for Ipswich, get a loan deal with a Championship club next year, and show signs of his early promise.

Progression might be a bit harder for him next year now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, but with it comes a tacit acknowledgement that he's not up to League One standard yet.
    That's just the reality of the situation though, isn't it? He was way out of his depth in a mid table Championship team and not good enough for a mid table League 1 team either. It's as well to be honest about it.

I wouldn't want to see him go back to the Championship on loan next season, if he's not good enough for League 1 in the spring he's unlikely to be good enough for the Championship by late summer or autumn. I doubt any Championship team would want him anyway.

He should probably just go back to Under 23 football for now and show that he can become a prolific scorer at that level (which he never actually did, most of his goalscoring was with the Spurs Under 18s, then he jumped to the fringes of the first team squad and didn't play that much under 23s). He should also work on the physical side of his game as well during that time. Then, if he succeeds at that level, try another loan move at a realistic level of football for him.

If it is to be another loan move right away I would suggest that the English lower leagues would not be the way to go. Somewhere like the SPL might work, obviously not one of the bigger clubs, but moves to clubs like St Mirren (McGrath, McCarthy, Doyle Hayes) and St Johnstone (McNamara) seem to have been successful for our younger players recently. Not an overly physical league and small squads mean plenty of first team chances.
    Last edited by Eirambler; 21/04/2021 at 12:03 PM.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    It appears he's not up to L1 standard at the moment, and that won't have gone unnoticed. Paul Cook would be well respected at that level and any potential clubs will want to know what happened at Ipswich. Progression is harder, and he's going to have to work harder to achieve it. He'll need to listen to the right people. A league 2 loan early next season (to the right bloody club!) and building on that may be the way the go. In terms of Parrott being some wonder kid who's banging in goals in the premier league anytime soon, that ship is sailing away I'm afraid. He doesn't have the attributes to make an instant impact at that level at a young age (ie pace or strength), but hopefully he can slower burner and develop into premier league player.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I wouldn't want to see him go back to the Championship on loan next season, if he's not good enough for League 1 in the spring he's unlikely to be good enough for the Championship by late summer or autumn. I doubt any Championship team would want him anyway.
    There's certainly no point in it now alright. I guess we're just crying out for forwards at the moment and it'd be nice to see one of our underage players finally make a bit of progress, so this feels like more of a kick than it would ordinarily be.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    He should probably just go back to Under 23 football for now and show that he can become a prolific scorer at that level (which he never actually did, most of his goalscoring was with the Spurs Under 18s, then he jumped to the fringes of the first team squad and didn't play that much under 23s). He should also work on the physical side of his game as well during that time. Then, if he succeeds at that level, try another loan move at a realistic level of football for him.
    Good point, Parrott has played up the age groups for most of his development, but it shouldn't be forgotten he skipped the u23 level and missed a lot of football last season when he was in the Spurs first team squad not getting any minutes, and also missed all the u23 games. Its clear enough now that has held his development back. I would have no problem if he returned to u23 level for the first part of next season before going on loan for the second half.

I've been surprised by how out of his depth he's looked on his loans, a schoolboy player not coping with senior football. I don't see that when i watch Idah (as raw as he can be) or Connolly, or even 18 year old Omobamidele playing centre back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Troy just needs to find the right team, his struggles look to be a lack of confidence rather than lack of ability so hopefully he can get his head straight over the summer and find the right club next summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Why has Ipswich given him 950 playing minutes in a two and a half month span if he's not up to L1 standard?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Why has Ipswich given him 950 playing minutes in a two and a half month span if he's not up to L1 standard?
    Cos they thought he was
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Cos they thought he was
    Based on him being George Weah's cousin?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    He can be friends with whoever he wants to. It’s nothing to do with his football career.

Personally, I’d rather he didn’t know any of that particular crowd but he’s human and so are they.

He probably grew up with them.
    Not much of a country when everybody know what these people are and yet they are walking the streets ! !

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    I watched a good bit of him at Ipswich and Millwall this season and I do think he is a good player, he is a hard worker but I think hes a bit slow. Doesnt have the burst of pace you would like in a top striker. Someone the other day gave me the comparison of Bamford as a young player and it took him a good few years bouncing around lower divisions before he was good enough. That might be the case with Parrott too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Style aside, I would say Parrott is a long way off the form that Bamford was showing at that stage in his career. Bamford had a really solid couple of loan spells when he was young. Including a championship player of the season, before he bounced around without fanfare. Not to mention what he did at Forrest to get the move to Chelsea in the first place.

It’s not an exact science obviously but Parrots form is lining him up to have a Graham Burke type career from what I can see.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Style aside, I would say Parrott is a long way off the form that Bamford was showing at that stage in his career. Bamford had a really solid couple of loan spells when he was young. Including a championship player of the season, before he bounced around without fanfare. Not to mention what he did at Forrest to get the move to Chelsea in the first place.

It’s not an exact science obviously but Parrots form is lining him up to have a Graham Burke type career from what I can see.
    Youre probably more accurate alright!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post

At the same stage in his career Bamford had played 11 minutes of senior football... he must have done a hell of a lot in those 11 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Bamford's first loan was when he was just turned 19, which is the age Parrott was in February. He scored 18 in 37 in League One that season. Parrott scored 1 in 15 and got shipped back early. It's a bit early to be writing the lad off, all the same.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I won't write him off but when I read this article about his pre season almost 2 years ago, it's a little concerning where he is now: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fou...eam-harry-kane

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    To be fair to Parrott he has been the victim of excessive hype more than anything else. He has probably only underperformed relative to the hype rather than in terms of what level a promising young striker should be at at his age.

Looking at it rationally all he had really done before the loans was score a lot of goals at Under 18 level and look reasonably good for our Under 21s. But lots of young players score masses of goals at Under 18s and he was playing in an unusually strong Ireland under 21 team.

It was the call up to the Spurs first team squad that probably generated the hype more than anything, but in hindsight it came far too soon for him. The sooner we set more realistic expectations for him the better really. Let's see where he's at by 21, he has time yet to make it at a high level.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

19. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Bamford's first loan was when he was just turned 19, which is the age Parrott was in February. He scored 18 in 37 in League One that season. Parrott scored 1 in 15 and got shipped back early. It's a bit early to be writing the lad off, all the same.
    What are you on about, his first loan was to NF in the championship at 18 years old which is the same age Parrott was when he went for milwall and he played 11 minutes in one game and 1 minutes the other. He didn’t start banging in goals until his third loan spell at the age of 20.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I won't write him off but when I read this article about his pre season almost 2 years ago, it's a little concerning where he is now: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fou...eam-harry-kane
    It will only be worrying if this season become’s a trend.

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    You are looking at the Wikipedia number which is wrong, it even says further down that he didn’t score his first professional goal until March 19th 2013.

24. Thanks From:

Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast