Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI 20th - 23rd Sept.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    I was surprised there was so many empty spaces in Oriel Park given the importance of the game.
    Any covered areas were crammed. I know it is a topic that bores people to death, me included, but the lack of covered areas in Oriel Park puts off a lot of casual punters from going to games. I know many people who look at the forecast before deciding to head to Oriel.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Congrats to DFC the league table doesn't lie over the course of the season , best team wins.
    If we are going to challenge next year we need a bigger squad to cope with injuries and suspensions, there is'nt a lot between the two first 11's and turning a 10 points to 1 in dundalks favour this season into a more balanced total is do able without wholesale changes as there has'nt been much between the teams head to head this year but winning the league will require a big investment in squad depth.
    Shamrock Rovers played well last night and also in the 1-0 defeat in Tallaght, but I think that there is an element of delusion in thinking that changing the 9 point discrepancy in head-to-heads is easily resolved in 2020, or that the current 15 point gap can be magically wiped away.

The horrendous injury issues that Dundalk had in the early part of the season are well documented, and the 28 points turnaround since mid April to now might provide a better focus on where the respective squads are at. Even allowing for 6 points from the two games in hand at that time, the gap of 22 points is probably a fairer reflection on what Rovers need to close - only marginally less than the 25 points gap at the end of last season

Even the current 15 points lead is the same points gap as existed between the two teams in 2017.

There is some progress but it is modest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Any covered areas were crammed. I know it is a topic that bores people to death, me included, but the lack of covered areas in Oriel Park puts off a lot of casual punters from going to games. I know many people who look at the forecast before deciding to head to Oriel.
    I see your GM calling for the use of the new Louth GAA stadium, makes a lot of sense even as an alternative to Tallaght for Euro games (bigger capacity, closer to support base) but i cant see the GAA heads running with that, they spent 500k trying to screw Rovers over in Tallaght and most of the GAA heads would rather burn their stadia down then share with a local LOI team.
    In any sane country a publically funded stadium would be available for all

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I see your GM calling for the use of the new Louth GAA stadium, makes a lot of sense even as an alternative to Tallaght for Euro games (bigger capacity, closer to support base) but i cant see the GAA heads running with that, they spent 500k trying to screw Rovers over in Tallaght and most of the GAA heads would rather burn their stadia down then share with a local LOI team.
    In any sane country a publically funded stadium would be available for all
    The skeptic in me sees that idea as a diversionary tactic that tries to deflect attention from the club to the GAA. The GAA in Louth hate football and it would be more likely for the Orange Order to bless themselves while passing a Catholic Church than the GAA in Louth to let Dundalk FC near their stadium.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    The skeptic in me sees that idea as a diversionary tactic that tries to deflect attention from the club to the GAA. The GAA in Louth hate football and it would be more likely for the Orange Order to bless themselves while passing a Catholic Church than the GAA in Louth to let Dundalk FC near their stadium.
    It's either kite flying or complete naivety on his part - the GAA are fundamentally opposed to ground sharing. Just two weeks ago Mark Devlin was tweeting about possible improvements to the stand

My expectations on the scale of these improvements are modest. I don't anticipate being overwhelmed.

mark devlin
    @markdevlin7
    Replying to
    @Peter_Clarke
    Expecting to see some further design drawings in the next few days. These are in relation to possible improvements within the main stand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    It's either kite flying or complete naivety on his part - the GAA are fundamentally opposed to ground sharing. Just two weeks ago Mark Devlin was tweeting about possible improvements to the stand

My expectations on the scale of these improvements are modest. I don't anticipate being overwhelmed.

On the game firstly, thanks to those who have offered congratulations to us, it is appreciated and recognition of achievements from the supporters of other clubs is always nice (just as Cork fans about that ). Fair play to Rovers, it was a professional performance considering they could have just conceded the title and put everything in to next Friday and a possible cup final. 1st 25mins Rovers looked like the championship side, some lovely passages of play and a couple of good chances spurned. As has often been the way with this Dundalk era teams have outplayed us but got sucker punched. We settled after and played a lot better. Sets things up for what could be a super cup final if the top 2 clubs get there and with the greatest of respect to Slogo and Bohs.

Cleary is quite capable of having a kick at someone as he did last night though looked worse at the time than subsequent replays. Burke has a temper though, ran a good distance to get involved and if it wasnt for Mannus he might have gotten in to more bother by getting involved and not being held back. Hoban did the same but I will give him a bit more of a pass as as captain he got involved and has a bit more experience in not crossing the line in to a red card. Burke looked to have lost it for a player that wasnt the one tackled.

While there are question marks over the future of players on both sides, Burke returning to Preston from his loan, and with the profile Byrne is getting - it will be a shame to see quality like that leave the league. This could be a healthy rivalry with both clubs challanging for ttles, feisty of course, but it feels like a traditional rivalry or something - certainly from Dundalk fans perspective or maybe I'm speaking just for myself.

On the CEOs programme notes, my reading of this is to look at the possibility of using the new County Ground as an alternative to Tallaght for European games rather than a big move. May be kite flying but before ground is broken is the time to suss out the possibility. That there is mention of a stand behind the town goal is why i feel it wasnt intended to imply a groundshare proposal, if it was well the money that would need to be contributed would be sufficient for a lot of what is needed at Oriel. DkIT is the route to this possibility as their soccer and rugby teams will not be excluded from using this facility so it's not a huge stretch that DFC's future European nights would benefit the town and locality at DkIT until such time Oriel is improved. The big objection im sure (not considering general history of the GAA) would be that it becomes Dundalk FCs primary ground.
    In the short to medium term some covering over existing terraces mentioned, short term full utilisation of the YDC match nights, some painting, proper toilets with locks on them (specially engraved for Stu ;p) is a minimum expectation over the close season.
    Its a positive that the elephant in the room is being spoken about by the CEO rather than the complete shut out of any mention of developments, and even the mention of a new stand behind the town goal. I think the comment of 'seeing if' crowds can go from 2.5-3k to 5k plus is key (in an justification of doing damn all) and possibly where the fans can step up - chicken and egg thing, build it and they will come question but until Oriel is regularly at capacity it will be a struggle to get owners to invest, whatever about paying for things out of on the pitch performances prizemoney after a proper European run.

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/dundalk...h-gaa-stadium/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Listen to Mike Tracey on the Off The Ball podcast: "We're not going to come spend $5m out of our pocket to build real estate on land we don't own. That just doesn't make sense. We need to work with the country [council] and government leaders.."

There is nothing big going to happen any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I'm not by any means optimistic, and certainly what Mike Tracey says is sensible. I woulnt spend money on a home that is essentially rented with hope rather than absolute possibility of return on investment. That said there are things that can be done at relatively minimal cost that could very well pay for itself over a season or 2 - how much does a shed like covering cost, if every farmer in the country can manage shelter for livestock lol. But there is a change from zero engagement on the subject to at least being willing to talk about options and possibilities. Nobody is expecting Tallaght Stadium MkII if even that was needed. Of course there is bias on my behald but if tax payers money is being spend on a ground in the town I dont think it should be exclusive to a single sport. I dont know why the GAA still feel threatened to such an extent that they wont use facilities to generate revenue, especially when the FAI is in a heap. Funnily enough if it was Dundalk RFC that were looking to be co-tenants i'd understand more why the GAA could feel that as a threat. Off topic for this thhread and a well worn debate but the CEO could have used his programme notes to bat away any hope of decent improvements, what he has done is actually lifted expectation beyond a lick of paint and lockable toilet doors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Just saw the rovers starting 11, madness, couldn't give a flying f about tonight and we go with arguably a first 11 tonight ahead of cup semi Friday. ..???.?
    Thought this also when we saw the line up, I wouldn't have risked my top players in a game like this, it is all about Fri night for Rovers. I also don't get the point on the 100 or so Rovers fans travelling up and comparisons to this with any complaint over limited cup semi final tickets. Fair play to each and every one of them for making the trip, not sure I would travel if boot was on the other foot, in fact I wouldn't have.

On the game itself, it must have looked a good spectacle on tv, thought it was very entertaining. Brilliant goal by Duffy and up there for goal of the season contender, but some ball in from Kavanagh for Rovers first.

Delighted for Vinny, big shoes to fill and he's done a great job, a lot of this squad were there with him in 2013, and this was a time when the club started with nothing.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Yeah I was one of the people who didn t bother travelling, hats off to those that did

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Congrats to DFC the league table doesn't lie over the course of the season , best team wins.
    If we are going to challenge next year we need a bigger squad to cope with injuries and suspensions, there is'nt a lot between the two first 11's and turning a 10 points to 1 in dundalks favour this season into a more balanced total is do able without wholesale changes as there has'nt been much between the teams head to head this year but winning the league will require a big investment in squad depth.[/COLOR]
    You are right on this but there is a balance too. The bigger squad in 2017 wasnt utilised by SK and we were caught cold when player were out. Through necessity this season and also VP's willingness to rotate nearly every squad player got decent game time this season. Another season there is no way that we could have coped with 9 midfielders out and its a credit to the players who put bodies on the line by playing injured or played out of position. Another thing that impressed last night was they way the fullbacks pushed on. Gannon, for example, has a serious engine to get up and down the line and even popped up behind Hoban on one occasion. There actually isnt a play you couldnt commend for their efforts. Hoping that the injuries this season were just freakish in numbers a cleaner bill of health and so more from Murray, Dummigan and Flores etc we may not have to recruit too heavily. I think we are peaking now where it was intended for earlier and Europe, the management team will learn from that as we looked very fresh for such a ridiculous schedule. Even Duffy's corners have improved a lot in the last 4 weeks or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Yeah agree there the rotation by vinnie this year helped dfc take advantage of their squad , the rotation was a key thing imo as it allows dfc to really take advantage of the deeper squad. Good managemwnt

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Congrats to Dundalk and Vinny in particular. A true Town legend and always an exceptionally sound fella.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    You are right on this but there is a balance too. The bigger squad in 2017 wasnt utilised by SK and we were caught cold when player were out. Through necessity this season and also VP's willingness to rotate nearly every squad player got decent game time this season. Another season there is no way that we could have coped with 9 midfielders out and its a credit to the players who put bodies on the line by playing injured or played out of position. Another thing that impressed last night was they way the fullbacks pushed on. Gannon, for example, has a serious engine to get up and down the line and even popped up behind Hoban on one occasion. There actually isnt a play you couldnt commend for their efforts. Hoping that the injuries this season were just freakish in numbers a cleaner bill of health and so more from Murray, Dummigan and Flores etc we may not have to recruit too heavily. I think we are peaking now where it was intended for earlier and Europe, the management team will learn from that as we looked very fresh for such a ridiculous schedule. Even Duffy's corners have improved a lot in the last 4 weeks or so.
    I hope that will be the case, and goes some way towards explaining what was a real let downof a campaign. When Duffy's goal went in, my immediate thought was 'Where was this during Europe?'. But enough about that, a thoroughly deserved League Title for Dundalk. Easily the best team. Not just this season but for most of this decade. About the match itself, it was a cracking game to watch televised. It's a cliche more often than not, but it was a great advert for the League.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 24/09/2019 at 11:25 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    I hope that will be the case, and goes some way towards explaining what was a real let downof a campaign. When Duffy's goal went in, my immediate thought was 'Where was this during Europe?'. But enough about that, a thoroughly deserved League Title for Dundalk. Easily the best team. Not just this season but for most of this decade. About the match itself, it was a cracking game to watch televised. It's a cliche more often than not, but it was a great advert for the League.
    Nah I think its a very valid point. What changed after Europe - timing of training camps, getting back to basics!? It was mentioned plenty on Orielweb that we saw very little shooting from distance throughout the domestic season and in Europe up until quite recently. I was critical of the Duffy corner style with the high loop to the back post and I felt we missed Flores and Murray for their set piece. Our centrebacks and midfielders werent miles off 5-10 goals apiece for a number of season but not this season and then the last month we became dangerous at corners and attacking set pieces. 2 headed goals from quality balls last night and Duffy's corners are an example of the improvement and what we lacked mid summer. Not wanting to sound critical of a team that could potentially win a treble and 2 minor trophies on top with pre and end of season competitions, and have sent records tumbling again season on season. It is getting to the point that success seems to be guaged on a few European performances rather than a domestic haul of silverware. Also not wanting to take things for granted or sounding disrespectful of teams yet to be played but if Dundalk do win the treble, add the Unite trophy and the Presidents Cup already there, for a manager in his first season that has to be up there as a record in management for VP. If only we had taken the LSC seriously ;p
    Last edited by Nesta99; 25/09/2019 at 1:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Also not wanting to take things for granted or sounding disrespectful of teams yet to be played but if Dundalk do win the treble, add the Unite trophy and the Presidents Cup already there, for a manager in his first season that has to be up there as a record in management for VP. If only we had taken the LSC seriously ;p
    Opps - I think you are getting carried away a little prematurely

Sligo present a significant challenge on Sunday, never mind speculating on a cup final itself.

Talk of a possible treble is reasonable, but only if Dundalk reach the cup final!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    That was a great game on Monday night and congratulations to Dundalk on winning the league. Unlikely we will be able to halt them on way to the final but I hope we can at least cause them a few problems and see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    With all the talk of a final with the big two i'm off to Paddypower to see what the odds are on a Sligo Bohs final

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Opps - I think you are getting carried away a little prematurely

Sligo present a significant challenge on Sunday, never mind speculating on a cup final itself.

Talk of a possible treble is reasonable, but only if Dundalk reach the cup final!
    Ah as fan I can hope and dream and not have to do the diplomatic 'next game is our only thoughts' stuff. I think Sligo will be very tough to beat and in front of a packed Showgraounds. But if a manager did win 5 domestic trophies in his first season it would have to rank very highly for any manager anywhere. Odds are still against it but I'm happy to hope!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    No doubt the top two are favorite to progress but both are away and in front of packed (both games likely sellout) and with a passionate athmosphere an upset in either game wouldn’t be a major shock.
    Sligo have a great cup tradition and will be happy enough to be such strong underdogs and while shams are favored in the Dublin derby we know that doesn’t always count for much.

Either way, should be two great occasions for those lucky enough to be going.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast